- 1 MOUNT OLIVET LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 EVENTS
- 2.7 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.8 OTHER BROTHERS
- 2.9 DISTRICTS
- 2.10 LINKS
MOUNT OLIVET LODGE
Chartered By: William Parkman
Charter Date: 03/09/1864 VI-496
Precedence Date: 02/14/1863
Current Status: Active
- Benjamin F. Nourse, 1863-1864
- Henry W. Muzzey, 1864; SN
- Thomas H. Crowell, 1865
- Francis H. Brown, 1866
- William Wright, 1867-68
- Charles Harris, 1869
- Hiram L. Chase, 1870
- Isaac Bradford, Sr., 1871-1872
- Jonathan Bigelow, 1873-1874; Mem
- James A. Martin, 1875-1876
- Lemuel Kempton, 1877-1878
- Michael J. Farrell, 1879-1880
- Charles L. Fuller, 1881-1882 SN
- Linus C. Bird, 1883-1884
- Lafayette G. Blair, 1885
- Charies H. Wiswell, 1886
- Jacob C. Panon, 1887-1888
- Thomas J. Young, 1889-1890
- John K. Perkins, 1891-1892
- Walter C. Wardwell, 1893-1894; Mem
- John S. Patton, 1895
- Warren P. Dudley, 1896-1897
- Albert F. Fish, 1898-1899
- Otis B. Oakman, 1900-1901
- Austin S. Temple, 1902
- Howard F. Peak, Sr., 1903-1904
- John L. Jones, Jr., 1905-1906
- Chas. H. Thomas, 1907-1908
- Charles T. Cottrell, 1909-1910
- Jesse W. Moreland, 1911-1912
- Royal G. Furbush, 1913-1914
- Howard P. Farwell, 1915-1916
- Irving R. Heath, 1917-1918
- Frederick R. Foster, 1919
- Arthur S. Morey, 1920
- Robert J. Fawcett, 1921-1922
- Isaac Bradford, Jr., 1923
- William H. Switzer, 1924-1925
- Howard F. Peak, Jr., 1926-1927
- Charles L. Hamilton, 1928
- George H. Jones, 1929-1930
- Robert D. Phelps, 1931
- Harry J. Baker, 1932
- Harold C. Morey, 1933
- Dana N. Squires, 1934
- Frank E. Buxton, 1935
- Raymond F. Libby, 1936
- Walter E. Pollard, 1937
- Richard A. Wason, 1938
- Robert T. Sanford, 1939; N
- Farnum J. Pollard, 1940
- Herbert H. Marshall, 1941
- Warren E. Arnold, 1942
- Samuel R. Sanford, 1943
- Alfred G. Ash, 1944
- Frank T. Currie, 1945
- Abram Anthony, 1946
- John F. Bergmueller, 1947
- George C. Edwards, 1948
- Martin D. Ratchford, 1949
- William J. Holland, 1950-1951
- Herwald Dowden, 1952
- George E. Daum, 1953
- Frederick Dehmer, Jr., 1954
- Rolf A. Bergman, 1955
- Cecil A. Batson, 1956
- William Turchinetz, 1957
- Sydney Randall, 1958
- Eugene C. Blanchard, 1959; N
- V. George Badoian, 1960
- Anthony F. Paszak, 1961
- Phillip J. Paszak, 1962
- Herbert F. Silva, 1963; N
- Philip Matthews, 1964
- David J. Frenchko, 1965
- Paul E. Nickerson, 1966
- David Greer, 1967
- Walter A. Guleserian, 1968
- Michael P. Villane, 1969
- Mark Mavrofrides, 1970
- Isidore J. Berger, 1971
- John C. Davis, 1972
- Robert L Pann, 1973 PDDGM
- Lawrence F. Silva, 1974
- Richard W. Scott, 1975
- Charles P. Guleserian, 1976
- R. Wayne Gurin, 1977, 2002-2003
- Joseph B. Ferguson, Jr., 1978; N
- William W. Covell, 1979
- Edward M. Weisberg, 1980
- Richard E. Stall, 1981
- Thomas E. McGurl, 1982
- Eugene R. Sanford, Jr., 1983
- George D. Wolfe, 1984, 2007
- Wilfred R. Garneau, 1985
- Vic J. Hering, 1986
- Henry Klein, 1987
- David A. Dutting, 1988, 2009-2010
- Edward F. Lavin, Jr., 1989
- George F. Shelton, 1990; N
- Gregory A. Freitas, 1991
- Lauren A. Zagoren, 1992
- Martin J. Hession, 1993
- Arthur W. Aznive, 1994
- Fred Santosuosso, Sr., 1995
- Mark H. Norton, Jr., 1996 PDDGM
- Keith C. MacKinnon, 1997
- Kirk S. Davis, 1998, 2000-2001
- David Raymond, 1999, 2004 PDDGM
- R. Wayne Gurin, 2002-03
- Robert F. Stanley, 2005-2006
- Edward F. Lavin, 2008-2009
- Dean G. Wolfe, 2010-2012
Lee H Fenn, 2013, 2014 Lou Cianno III, 2015, 2016
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 1963 (Centenary)
- 2009 (150th Anniversary)
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1863 (Parkman; Constitution of Lodge and installation; Special Communication; see below)
- 1874 (Nickerson)
- 1879 (Everett)
- 1882 (Lawrence)
- 1885 (Howland)
- 1889 (Everett)
- 1899 (Hutchinson)
- 1901 (Gallagher)
- 1903 (Sanford)
- 1910 (Flanders; corner stone laying; Special Communication)
- 1933 (Chipman; installation)
- 1938 (Perry; installation)
- 1963 (Osgood; Centenary; Special Communication)
- 1965 (Osgood)
- 1984 (Richardson)
- 2005 (Hodgdon)
- 2013 (Stewart; 150th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1963 (Centenary History, 1963-102; see below)
CENTENARY HISTORY, MAY 1963
From Proceedings, Page 1963-102:
by Brother David Greer.
Most Masons are familiar with the story of Masonry in the early days of Massachusetts. Undoubtedly it was first brought to these shores by officers of British regiments stationed here in Colonial days. Masonry numbered among its most active members many of those who were also the active patriots of Revolutionary days. The names of General Warren and Paul Revere come readily to our minds, but many others were members of the Committees on Correspondence which nurtured the Revolutionary spirit in the various towns and villages.
By 1733 when Saint John's Grand Lodge was instituted, incidentally just 230 years ago this month, Masonry was well established and continued to grow, until in June of 1825 it probably achieved its peak with the laying of the corner-stone of Bunker Hill Monument in which the Marquis de Lafayette participated.
It was in 1826 that one Morgan departed from Batavia, New York, for Smyrna, where it is said he was afterwards seen; or for some other place; but it is not known where he went. The material fact is that he departed, and that his departure occasioned the most tremendous sensation all over the United States. It was the beginning of the anti-Masonic excitement. Many bodies were forced to give up their charters and many others kept going through the dedicated activities of a very few of their numbers. It was not until the 40's that this situation appeared to change.
With the coming of the Civil War when brother was set against brother, there was also a trend which seemed to bring people more closely together and to establish a need which appeared to be filled by Masonic Lodges. In response to this demand, on January 22, 1863, fourteen brothers met at the home of Brother Francis H. Brown in Cambridge for the purpose of presenting a petition to the Grand Lodge for the establishment of a new Lodge in Cambridge. I like to think that it is significant that these brothers banded themselves together to perpetuate the principles of our Order in the same year in which Abraham Lincoln, standing on the battlefield of Gettysburg, with the results of the great war between the States still in question, called upon the people of the North to dedicate themselves to the advancement of the principles far which those who had died there had given, as he put it, "the last full measure of devotion."
At the first meeting it was voted that the Lodge be called Harvard Lodge, but this vote was later reconsidered and on February 4, 1863, the name of Mount Olivet Lodge was adopted.
A dispensation was granted by the Most Worshipful Grand Master, William Parkman, appointing Benjamin F. Nourse as Master, Thomas H. Crowell as Senior Warden and Henry W. Muzzey as Junior Warden.
The first regular meeting under dispensation was held at the residence of Brother William Wright on Mt. Auburn Street.
The first degree work was on February 19, 1864, when W. Greene Howe, J. P. Wallace and Isaac Bradford were initiated. Isaac Bradford was later Worshipful Master and Mayor of Cambridge.
The Lodge operated originally under the By-Laws of Amicable Lodge which were adopted temporarily.
During the year of dispensation, meetings were held on the average of one each week.
On March 18, 1864, the Charter was issued by the Most Worshipful Grand Master William Parkman who finally constituted E3e Lodge and installed the officers. The officers installed were as fellows:
- Master, Henry W. Muzzey
- Senior Warden, Francis H. Brown
- Junior Warden, Joseph R. Richards
- Treasurer, William Wright
- Secretary, Charles Harris
- Chaplain, Nathaniel G. Allen
- Marshal, Gustavus F. Sargent
- Senior Deacon, Isaac Bradford
- Junior Deacon, Edward D. Harris
- Senior Steward, Frederick T. Stevens
- Junior Steward, Obediah D. Witherill
- Inside Sentinel, Benjamin H. Nickerson
- Tyler, John L. Jones
It is interesting to note that the name Nickerson which occurs among the first officers under the Charter is also borne by our present Senior Deacon.
The Mother Lodge, Amicable, sent her most distinguished son, Worshipful and Reverend Lucius R. Paige, to represent her at the ceremonies, and he was also the custodian of a beautiful set of Jewels, Collars and Aprons, the gift of the Worshipful Master, Wardens and twenty members of Amicable Lodge as a token of their friendship and good wishes.
The first meeting place was in the building of the Union Railway Company on Dunster Street and was procured at a cost of $150.00 per year. After meeting on Dunster Street for seven years the Lodge moved to premises of the Union Horse Railroad Company at a rental of $300.00 per year.
On February 15, 1883, thirteen years later, the Lodge moved to Masonic Hall near Central Square and in December of that year joined the Masonic Hall Association, Worshipful Brothers Jonathan Bigelow, James A. Martin and Michael J. Farrell being elected directors of the Association.
In February 1904 the several lodges in Cambridge changed their meeting place to Odd Fellows Hall in North Cambridge.
In January 1908 the land upon which this Temple stands was acquired and on June 30, 1910, the corner stone of this building was laid by Most Worshipful Dana Judson Flanders, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts.
Ceremonies of Laying the Corner Stone of the Masonic Temple
Thursday, June 30, 1910
The several Masonic Bodies sponsoring the New Building assembled at Odd Fellows Hall in North Cambridge at 1:30 P.M. and formed a procession consisting of Carter's Band of Boston, and members of Cambridge Commandery #42 Knights Templar, Cambridge Royal Arch Chapter, Amicable Lodge, Putnam Lodge, Mount Olivet Lodge, Mizpah Lodge and Charity Lodge, and paraded to the residence of Brother John C. Dow on Sacramento Street, where they were joined by Most Worshipful Dana Judson Flanders, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, and marched to the site of the New Temple to perform the ceremonies «f laying the Corner Stone.
Order of Exercises
- Hymn written by Brother William R. Heyd sung by the Harvard Quartette
- Request to proceed with the Ceremonies by Brother Charles O. Welch, President of the Cambridge Masonic Hall Association
- Response of the Most Worshipful Grand Master
- Responsive Readings from the Holy Scriptures by Worshipful and Reverend R. Perry Bush, D. D., Grand Chaplain, and the Brethren
- Prayer by the Grand Chaplain
- Reading List of Contents of the Box by Right Worshipful Charles H. Ramsay, Grand Treasurer
- Application of Jewels to the Corner Stone
- Libation of Corn by Right Worshipful and Reverend William H. Rider, D. D., Deputy Grand Master
- When once of old in Israel
- Our early Brethren wrought with toil,
- Jehovah's blessing on them fell in showers
- of Corn and Wine and Oil." Sung by the Harvard Quartette
- Libation of Wine by Right Worshipful Clarence A. Brodeur, Senior Grand Warden
- "When there a shrine to Him alone they built,
- with worship sin to foil
- On threshold and on Corner Stone they poured out
- Corn and Wine and Oil." Sung by the Harvard Quartette
- Libation of Oil by Right Worshipful Walter F. Medding, Junior Grand Warden
- "And we have come fraternal bands
- with joy and pride and prosperous spoil
- to honor Him by votive hands
- with streams of Corn and Wine and Oil." Sung by the Harvard Quartette
- Invocation by the Grand Chaplain
- Presentation of Working Tools to the Architect, Bro. Frederick B. Furbish
- Proclamation by Wor. Harry P. Ballard, Grand Marshal
- Address by Worshipful and Reverend Frederick W. Hamilton, D. D.
- Hymn, sung by the Harvard Quartette and the Audience
- Benediction by the Grand Chaplain
Mount Olivet Lodge has been and still is a gregarious Lodge. As far back as June, 1899, Wor. Albert F. Fish being then the Worshipful Master, the Brothers chartered a boat from the Eastern Steamship Company and sailed to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, to visit Scotia Lodge No. 31, where they exemplified the degrees according to the Massachusetts ritual. The Lodge members were accompanied by the band of what was then Massachusetts Manual Training School, now the Rindge Technical School, who furnished music going and coming. This visit was returned on May 16, 1901, when thirty members of Scotia Lodge arrived on the steamship Yarmouth. They were entertained at the Quincy House at a banquet and were given a special ride through the subway and by way of Brookline, Newton and Watertown to the Lodge Rooms in North Cambridge.
In 1902 the members again put to sea by chartered steamship, this time to Halifax, Nova Scotia, where they visited St. Andrew's Lodge No. 1 and Virgin Lodge No. 3 and exemplified the degree work. Virgin Lodge members paid a return visit to Mount Olivet on October 5, 1903, and in the presence of the Most Worshipful Grand Master of Nova Scotia they exemplified the degrees.
On March 3, 1911, under the administration of Wor. Jesse Moreland, Redwood Lodge No. 35 of Providence, Rhode Island, visited Mount Olivet and exemplified the Master Mason degree. On May 8 a return visit was made to Redwood Lodge by a special train manned entirely by members of the Craft. The train made the trip in what was then a record time.
Between the years 1932 and 1938, Mount Vernon Lodge No. 4 of Providence, Rhode Island, visited Mount Olivet Lodge on four different occasions and there were three return visits to Providence. The fourth scheduled return visit was cancelled due to a hurricane in 1938. The reason for the number of visits lies in the fact that during a major portion of this time Wor. Chester T. Morey, a brother of two of the Past Masters of Mount Olivet, was an officer of Mount Vernon Lodge of Providence.
In June of 1956 Wor. Cecil A. Batson, being then presiding Master, the Lodge journeyed by bus to Portland, Maine. A visit was made to Deering Lodge No. 183 and the degree of Master Mason was exemplified. Deering Lodge subsequently returned this visit.
In 1957 Morning Star Lodge No. 13 of Woonsocket, Rhode Island, visited Mount Olivet Lodge and exemplified the Master Mason degree during the administration of Wor. William Turchinetz. In May, 1961, Mount Olivet Lodge returned this visit and exemplified the Master Mason degree in Morning Star Lodge. As a part of the visit there was a social meeting at the Ukranian Masonic Club which was enjoyed by all who attended.
One of the outstanding events in the history of the Lodge was the laying of the corner-stone of the new City Hall in Cambridge. Pursuant to a call from Most Worshipful Grand Master Henry Endicott, a special Communication was held on May 15, 1889. Sixty members assembled in the Lodge Room at 2:30 p.m. and joining with members of our sister Lodges: Amicable, Putnam, Mizpah and Charity paraded to the City Hall site, where the corner-stone was laid with appropriate Masonic ceremonies. A banquet followed the exercises.
One of the most conspicuous events ever held by the Lodge was the celebration of our Fiftieth Anniversary under the administration of Wor. Royal G. Furbish, when a Ladies' Night was held. The program consisted of a banquet, entertainment and dance, also refreshments on the lawn. The hall was filled to capacity where an Historical Sketch of the Lodge was given by Rt. Wor. Walter C. Wardwell. The party was concluded at one o'clock in the morning.
During World War I there were held a number of patriotic meetings, the most prominent one being held on May 4, 1917, in the administration of Wor. Irving R. Heath. Members with their ladies and friends gathered in the Lodge Room, where the first speaker was Brother John Kinnear, who was the first volunteer for service in the Civil War and a Past Master of Gate of the Temple Lodge of South Boston. The orator of the evening was Wor. Brother Guy Ham, Senior Warden of the same Lodge, who gave a stirring oration. About 300 were in attendance. Dancing and refreshments were enjoyed until midnight.
Many Ladies' Nights were held by the Lodge, but the largest ones were held in 1921 and 1922 under the administration of Wor. Robert J. Fawcett, when over 500 attended.
On April 5, 1929, under the administration of Wor. George H. Jones, an Armed Forces Night was held. Rt. Wor. Walter C. Wardwell was Master of Ceremonies and paid a glowing tribute to the Veterans of whom were present 4 members who had service
in the Spanish-American War, and 39 in World War I. Twenty-two had served in the Army, 12 in the Navy and 5 in the British Forces. On February 5, 1932 under the administration of Wor. Henry J. Baker, a musical comedy in two acts was put on named "Mount Olivet Lodge Frivolities." There were five scenes, one of which was a minstrel show, two were comedies, and two musicals. Dancing and refreshments followed the show. About 450 attended, and there were about 40 in the cast.
On February 3, 1938, under the administration of Wor. Richard A. Wason, the Seventy-fifth Anniversary of the Lodge was celebrated, followed by dancing. After a turkey dinner, a short history of the Lodge was read by the Master. Rt. Wor. Jacob C. Patton, who resided in North Carolina, was present and spoke of the early days of the Lodge. He was Master in 1887 and 1888 and had been a member of the Lodge for 58 years. Rt. Wor. Walter C. Wardwell also spoke of the early days, he having been Master 45 years previous, and had also been Mayor of Cambridge.
An organization may be said to be the sum of its component parts; however, we generally find that the real effectiveness of an organization transcends the sum of the individuals that make it up; yet from another point of view no organization can go beyond the accomplishments of its members since it is only through them that it can act at all.
Mount Olivet Lodge has been fortunate in numbering among its members through the years, dedicated Masons who have not only devoted themselves to the advancement of the principles of Freemasonry through the Lodge, but also in and through other Masonic bodies.
Of the seventy-two Worshipful Masters of Mount Olivet Lodge, seven have been Ex. High Priests, Ill. Masters and Em. Commanders: Brothers Charles Harris, Lafayette G. Blair, Howard F. Peck, Sr., Otis B. Oakman, Herwald Dowden, Harold C. Morey, and V. George Badoian; and in addition, Brother Charles Harris was Master of Aberdour Lodge, Junior Grand Warden, and Grand King. Two, Brothers Warren P. Dudley and Arthur S. Morey, have been Ex. High Priests and Em. Commanders. Two, Brothers Howard F. Peak, Jr., and Frank E. Buxton, have been Ex. High Priests and Ill. Masters. One, Brother Abram Anthony, has been an Ill. Master and Em. Commander. Six, Brothers Raymond F. Libby, Harry J. Baker, Robert D. Phelps, William H. Switzer, James A. Martin, and William Turchinetz, have been Ex. High Priests. Two, Brothers George C. Edwards and Herbert F. Silva, have been Ill. Masters. Two, Brothers Walter C. Wardwell and Charles L. Hamilton, have been Em. Commanders. Of the members of Mount Olivet Lodge who have not been elected to preside over the Lodge, one, Bro. Mark Mavrofrides, who is our present Inside Sentinel, has served as Ex. High Priest, Ill. Master, and Em. Commander. Two, Brothers Arthur H. B. Stephens and David Greer, have been Ex. High Priests and Ill. Masters. One, Brother Emil Showgren, has been an Ex. High Priest. One, Brother Henrik Osterland, has been an Ill. Master. One, Brother Henry W. Hall, has been an Em. Commander.
In addition, three Brothers of Mount Olivet have been Masters of other Lodges in this jurisdiction: Wor. Albert A. Lamson, Master of Shawmut Lodge in Boston; Wor. W. D. Schofield, Master of Boston University Lodge in Boston; Wor. Robert L. Vaughan, Master of Waltham Lodge in Waltham. Four Brothers have been Masters of Lodges outside this jurisdiction: Wor. Melvin B. Dunbar, Master of Social Lodge No. 50, Enfield, N. H.; Wor. Herbert H. Haines, Master of Etonian Lodge of St. John No. 209, Windsor, England; Wor. W. Allan Mitchell, Master of Father Thames Lodge No. 1615, Staines, England; Wor. Frank H. Rudy, Master of Lancaster Lodge No. 43, Lancaster, Pa.; and he was also Ex. High Priest of Royal Arch Chapter No. 1, Lancaster, Pa.
Starting in 1864 Mount Olivet Lodge steadily increased its membership. In 1885 it had reached 121 members; in 1895, 151; in 1905, 249; in 1915, 361; in 1925, 582, and in 1927, it reached its peak of 593. From this point, membership began to drop. In 1937 it had dropped to 436; in 1947, to 396. It then began to increase again and by 1957 had reached 455 members, where it leveled off until 1962 when it dropped to 440.
Life memberships constitute an important factor in the membership of Mount Olivet. When first instituted in 1915 there were 79, which was a little over 20% of the entire membership. When the overall membership was at its peak in 1927, it was about the same proportion. But as overall membership dropped off, the proportion of life members of course increased so that in 1953, life membership accounted for approximately one-half of the total membership. In 1962 life members represent approximately 44%. Reading over the list of early members indicates that no particular ethnic strain predominated, but when membership reached its peak in 1927 there were more brothers of Scandinavian descent than any other grouping, the second largest group being those of Scotch and North Irish descent, many of whom came to the United States by way of the Maritime provinces of Canada. Today Mount Olivet is truly a melting pot.
The ancestral background of the officers of Mount Olivet Lodge follows:
- Master: Wor. Herbert F. Silva, Portuguese
- Senior Warden: Bro. Philip Matthews, Polish and Russian
- Junior Warden: Bro. David Frenchko, Ukranian"
- Treasurer: Bro. Louis Klashman, Russian"
- Secretary: Wor. Harold C. Morey, English"
- Chaplain: Wor. George C. Edwards, Australian"
- Marshal: Wor. Anthony Pasak, Ukranian"
- Senior Deacon: Bro. Paul E. Nickerson, Scottish"
- Junior Deacon: Bro. David Greer, Scotch and Irish"
- Senior Steward: Bro. Walter A. Guleserian, Armenian"
- Junior Steward: Bro. Michael P. Villane, Italian"
- Inside Sentinel: Bro. Mark Mavrofrides, Greek"
- Tyler: Bro. Henrik A. Osterland, Scandinavian"
- Organist: Bro. C. Emerson Fox, Scotch, Irish and English"
Mount Olivet has never been a wealthy Lodge, but it is in reasonably good financial condition, having assets of approximately $39,000. Of this, $4,300 is earmarked for the Anniversary Fund, $700 for the Life Membership Fund, approximately $19,000 for the General Fund and the balance in Charitable Funds. The funds of the Lodge are invested in savings and cooperative banks and United States bonds with the exception of a small amount of preferred stock of the American Thread Company.
We now stand like Janus, the sentinel of the Gods, facing one way toward the accomplishments of our first century with some feeling of satisfaction, but also like that double-faced sentinel we face forward into the sunrise for our second century in which with the help of the Grand Architect of the Universe we will dedicate ourselves to an increased devotion to Him, to our country and to our Brethren that in this century our accomplishments may far outrun those of the last.
- 1872 (Change of district, 1872-118)
- 1889 (Participation in city hall cornerstone laying in Cambridge, 1889-36)
CONSECRATION OF LODGE, DECEMBER 1863
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXIII, No. 6, April, 1864, Page 178:
This is the name of a new Lodge located at Cambridge, near the Colleges. It was Chartered by the Grand Lodge on the 9th of December — having worked a year under Dispensation — and was Constituted and publicly Dedicated on the 18th. It occupies a new and commodious hall, with convenient and spacious ante-rooms, all of which are neatly fitted up and furnished. Indeed, there are but few halls in the State, which, as a whole, are more complete and appropriate.
The Consecration services took place in the afternoon, and the Dedication of the Hall and the Installation of the officers in the evening, the latter in the presence of ladies and other invited guests. At the conclusion of these services the R. W. Bro. Paige, in behalf of Amicable Lodge, at Cambridgeport, of which the new Lodge is an off-shoot, rose, and after briefly and appropriately referring to the past history of the parent Lodge, and some of the interesting memories connected with its progress, presented to the new Body a very beautiful set of Jewels, Collars and Aprons for its officers. They were gracefully received by the Master of the new Lodge, and the officers were invested with them. The M. W. Grand Master then delivered the customary charge, and the ceremonies closed.
The occasion was one of more than usual interest, and we believe all parties were pleased with the result. The officers of the Grand Lodge and of the new Lodge were kindly received and hospitably entertained at tea by Brother Sawin, a member of the Lodge, to whom, and his lady, the party are under obligation.
The officers installed are as follows :—
- Henry W. Muzzey, W. M.
- Francis H. Brown, S. W.
- Joseph R. Richards, J, W.
- William Wright, Treas.
- Charles Harris, Sec.
- Nathaniel G. Allen, Chaplain
- Gustavus F. Sargent, Marshal
- Isaac Bradford, S. D.
- Edward D. Harris, J. D.
- Frederick T. Stevens, S. S.
- Obadiah D. Witherell, J. S.
- Benjamin H. Richardson, Inside Sentinel
- John L. Jones, Tyler.
PRESENTATION, MARCH 1878
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. II, No. 1, April 1878, Page 18:
At the last communication of Mount Olivet Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, at Old Cambridge, on Thursday evening, March 21, a large attendance of "brothers of the mystic tie" was present, especially of those of elderly years. A very finely finished photographic portrait of Worshipful Brother William Wright, made by Black, of Boston, and set in a beautiful frame of black walnut, ornamented with gold, had been placed on the wall. After the usual business was finished, Right Worshipful Brother Henry W. Muzzey, Charter Master of the Lodge, arose and presented the Portrait to the Lodge, in behalf of certain members, with the following remarks:
Worshipful Master: — I rise to discharge, with your leave, an exceptional though a pleasant duty, that devolves upon me, by the appointment of the subscribers to the paper which I now read:
"To the W. Master, Wardens and members of Mount Olivet Lodge: — The undersigned, members of this Lodge, tender for your acceptance, a Portrait of W. Past Master, William Wright. They are moved to do this out of respect for his many and valuable services rendered to the Lodge in various capacities, including services in the highest office within its gift, and because they felt that some permanent memorial of him should exist. Fraternally yours, signed lay Benjamin F. Nourse, Henry W. Muzzey, Hiram L. Chase, M. D., Isaac Bradford, Edward S. Phillips, Charles E. Willard, Charles L. Fuller, Lemuel Kempton, and twenty-five others."
The letter says all that need be said to express the purposes of the donors, and to indicate the title of our Past Master to the honor intended to be conferred. It may be permitted to me, however, to add a word or two to what the formal letter of presentation contains. Our Worshipful Brother was a Charter member of this Lodge, and its lilih Master. Before his elevation to the East he had served the Lodge as Treasurer and Senior Warden, and after his retirement from the Chair, he was chosen an honorary member and a Trustee of the Charity and Lodge Funds, distinctions and trusts which he continues to hold. With what fidelity and credit he has served the Lodge, our records show, but I cannot permit his presence to restrain me from alluding to trre unwritten record of his true and noble Masonic life, faithful to all the principles and tenets of Masonry, he would have been one of the best of Masons had he never taken a vow at its altar. Naturally modest, sensible, charitable, honest, pure in heart and God fearing, he did not need its requirements—'its promptings and restraints — for the development of his life or the rule of his conduct. Of him it may be said, in the golden words of President Kirkland, "He needed not the sting of guilt to make him innocent, nor the smart of folly to make him wise."
His Portrait takes its place with those of others who, in their time, have striven for the welfare and upbuilding of this Lodge. Pardon me, but my heart and thought go back on this occasion to early days, and my eye wanders for a moment from the Portrait just hung upon these walls to the likeness of another, my cherished friend, the Lodge's earliest instructor and leading benefactor (W. Bro. B. F. Nourse.) As we add our Worshipful Brother's Portrait to the collection, I surely can pay him no higher tribute of respect than to say of both and of each, par nobile fratrum — two noble brothers wherever a good work is to be done, wherever a heart . needs solace or a foot encouragement, wherever a life can be uplifted^ wherever humanity can add a link to the golden chain that connects it with the Throne of God.
Accept this Portrait. No brother can look upon it, now or hereafter, while he whom it so well represents is happily among us or after he shall have been called to that final account that awaits us all, without a fresh stimulus to walk in that path which he has so faithfully followed, and where his example points the way."
For the satisfaction of the many friends of W. Bro. Wright, we are glad to say that while on a visit to England, last summer, he was received in Masonic circles with the highest tokens of regard, and entertains a kindly recollection of the hospitalities of the craft in that country.
INSTALLATION, DECEMBER 1878
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. II, No. 10, January 1879, Page 315:
At the stated communication of Mount Olivet Lodge, F. & A. M., held at Freemason's Hall, Dunster Street, Cambridge, December 3d, the following officers were duly installed for the ensuing year, by Past Worshipful Brother William Wright, assisted by Brother Timothy Ames, acting as Marshal:
M. J. Farrell, W. M.; James L. Buffum, S. W.; John H. Thurston. J. W.; Chas. E. Willard, Treasurer; Charles L. Fuller, Secretary; Rev. John T. Rose, Chaplain; Linus C. Bird, Marshal; George G. Wright, S. D.; A. R. Buck. J. D.; William M. Knight, S. S.; John S. Rice, J. S.; Charles G. Allen, I. S.; Charles H. Wiggin, Organist; Geo. T. Barrington, Tyler.
On behalf of the Lodge, the retiring Master, W. Bro. Lemuel Kempton, was presented with a beautiful Past Master's Jewel by Past W. Bro. Hiram L. Chase. After the ceremonies, the brethren indulged in a substantial banquet, and mutual congratulations on the remarkable prosperity of the lodge.
50TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, JUNE 1913
From New England Craftsman, Vol. VIII, No. 9, June 1913, Page 308:
On Wednesday evening, June 11, Mount Olivet Lodge of Cambridge celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its institution in the Masonic Temple. The event was thoroughly enjoyed by a company of 300, including members and their wives and lady friends.
The special guests included Rt. Wor. Herbert E. Fletcher, D. G. M., of Grand Lodge; Rt. Wor. Roscoe E. Learned, D. D. G. M. of the Second District; Rt. Wor. Thomas W. Davis, T. I. M., of Cambridge Council R. and S. M.; John Hamilton, W. M. of Amicable Lodge; Joseph A. Lincoln, W. M. of Putnam Lodge; George H. Payne, W. M. of Mizpah Lodge; Charles J. Elliott, P. M. of Aberdour Lodge; William L. Lathrop, P. M., and Oscar F. Allen, P. M., both honorary members of Mount Olivet Lodge; and Wor. Francis H. Brown, one of the three surviving charter members who was the first Secretary in 1863, and Wor. Master in 1866, and is now the senior of those who occupied that station. While the guests were assembling in the Lodge room there was an organ concert by Bro. Claude E. Sannier, after which the company proceeded to the banquet hall, where grace was offered by Rev. Bro. Francis L. Beal, Chaplain of Putnam Lodge.
On returning to the Lodge room Wor. Master Royal G. Furbush extended a royal welcome to the guests, expressing his wish that they would enjoy themselves and the evening would be one never to be forgotten by them. Deputy Grand Master Fletcher, on behalf of the Grand Lodge gave its welcome also to the guests of Mt. Olivet and congratulated Wor. Master Furbush on what they had provided for the anniversary celebration, and the happy faces in the assemblage indicated that they appreciated what was done. He spoke of the magnificert history of Mt. Olivet Lodge and said that Freemasonry stood for the best in life, and wherever its influence was felt it was for good. He could see nothing but more glory and power for Mt. Olivet.
On Jan. 22, 1863, a meeting of Master Masons was held and 32 names were signed to a petition in which a dispensation was sought and the first three officers chosen were Benjamin F. Nourse, W. M.; Thomas H. Crowell, S. W., and Henry W. Muzzey, J. W.
Wor. Walter C. Wardwell, the historian of the Lodge, stated that the Charter was received March 18, 1864, and four of the most notable names in the history of the fraternity in Massachusetts are appended to it. They are William Parkman, G. M.; William S. Gardner, S. G. W.; Benjamin Dean, J. G. W., and Charles W. Moore, G. Secretary. Of the 24 on the charter list the only three living are Dr. Francis H. Brown, Joseph H. Rice, and Nathan G. Gooch. The officers included Henry W. Muzzey, W. M.; Francis H. Brown, S. W.; Joseph R. Richards, J. W.; William Wright, Treas.; Charles Harris, Sec.; Nathaniel G. Allen, Chap.; Gustavus F. Sargent, Mar.; Isaac Bradford, S. D.; Edward D. Harris, J. D.; Frederick T. Stevens, S. S.; Obadiah D. Witherell, J. S.; Benj. H. Richardson. I. S.; John L. Jones, Tyler. Sen. Deacon Bradford, father of the present Junior Steward, was the first initiate in the Lodge, and John L. Jones, the first Tyler was the father of the present secretary, Wor. John L. Jones.
There have been 31 presiding officers elected in Mt. Olivet Lodge. The surviving Past Masters are: Dr. Francis H. Brown, Dr. Hiram L. Chase, Charles H. Wiswell, Jacob C. Patton, Thomas J. Young, Walter C. Wardwell, John S. Patton, Warren P. Dudley, Albert F. Fish, Otis B. Oakman, Howard F. Peck, John L. Jones, Dr. Charles H. Thomas, Charles T. Cottrell and Jesse W. Moreland.
An ovation was accorded Past Master Brown. Auld Lang Syne was sung, the company standing. He acknowledged the courtesy, and spoke of the old days, then alluded to the great advance made by the Lodge in its half-century. The program was finished by a vocal and instrumental concert and readings by accomplished artists.
Following the entertainment, the company again proceeded to the banquet hall, where dancing was indulged in until one o'clock the following morning. A new idea in connection with social affairs of the Craft in Cambridge was the utilizing of the lawn surrounding the Temple. Here Japanese lanterns were hung, and refreshments were served in that inviting spot while the dancing was in progress.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Jonathan Bigelow, DDGM, District 2 (Charlestown), 1879, 1880; Memorial
- Eugene C. Blanchard, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1964, 1965; N
- Joseph B. Ferguson, Jr., DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1984, 1985; N
- Charles S. Fuller, DDGM, District 2 (Cambridge), 1884, 1885; SN
- Charles Harris, DDGM, District 2 (Cambridge); Grand Masrshal 1884-1886; Junior Grand Warden 1887
- Henry W. Muzzey, DDGM, District 2 (Charlestown), 1872; SN
- Mark H. Norton, DDGM, District 2, 2005, 2006
- Robert L. Pann, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1980, 1981
- Jacob C. Patton, DDGM, District 2 (Cambridge), 1889; SN
- David J. Raymond, DDGM, District 13, 2006, 2007
- Robert T. Sanford, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1940, 1941; N
- George F. Shelton, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1994, 1995; N
- Herbert F. Silva, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1976, 1977; N
- Robert Stanley, DDGM, District 2, 2017, 2018
- Walter C. Wardwell, DDGM, District 2 (Cambridge), 1902, 1903; Mem
- Fred L. Churchill, Memorial
- Warren P. Dudley, Memorial
- James A. Martin, Memorial
- Benjamin F. Nourse, Biogaphy
- Thorndike Spalding, Memorial
The curator for this page is Brother Keith MacKinnon. Please direct informational updates and questions to him.