- 1 DeWITT CLINTON LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 EVENTS
- 2.7 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.8 DISTRICTS
- 2.9 LINKS
DeWITT CLINTON LODGE
Chartered By: Winslow Lewis
Charter Date: 03/13/1856 VI-7
Precedence Date: 03/16/1855
Current Status: Active
- Thomas R. Borden, 1855, 1856
- John C. Harpur, 1857-1861
- Charles H. Waterman, 1862
- William H. F. Burbank, 1863-1865
- Andrew F. Sherman, 1866, 1867, 1874-1876
- Charles B. Hall, 1868, 1869
- Isaiah T. Jones, 1870, 1871
- William C. Spring, 1872, 1873
- William A. Nye, 1877, 1878
- Daniel F. Chessman, 1879, 1880
- Francis H. Holway, 1881-1883, 1890-1893
- George E. White, 1884, 1885, 1889, 1908; Memorial
- Josiah E. Knowles, 1886
- Charles M. Thompson, 1887
- Charles T. C. Whitcomb, 1888; SN
- Seth A. Hargraves, 1894
- Eugene W. Haines, 1895
- William H. Heald, 1896
- Fred E. Pierce, 1897
- Benjamin Haines, 1898
- Arthur Braman, 1899; SN
- Eben S. S. Keith, 1900, 1901, 1903
- Moses C. Waterhouse, 1902
- Edward S. Talbot, 1904
- Benjamin B. Crosby, 1905, 1906
- Albert Holway, 1907
- Harry S. Dowden, 1909, 1910
- Osgood L. Small, 1911, 1912
- John A. Holway, 1913, 1914
- George W. Starbuck, 1915, 1916
- Lewis J. Whitney, 1917, 1918; N
- Ralph L. Small, 1919, 1920
- Fred E. Burrows, 1921, 1922; N
- Carl E. Perry, 1923
- Wilson C. Bartley, 1924
- Bernard P. Harkins, 1925, 1926
- Stephen. P. Hayes, 1927, 1928
- Harry W. Salter, 1929
- James M. Neil, 1930
- Bertrand C. French, 1931; N
- David C. Crowell, 1932
- William M. Harrison, 1933, 1934; N
- Edward E. Davis, 1935, 1936
- Doxie T. Salter, 1937
- Herbert I. Landers, 1938
- Harold L. Burke, 1939
- James E. O’Toole, 1941, 1942; N
- Wallace M. Freeman, 1943, 1944
- Donald R. Small, 1945
- Edgar W. Davis, 1946, 1947
- Ralph I. Freeman, 1948, 1949
- Lester W. Smith, 1950
- Maurice E. Grinnell, 1951
- Allison R. Cook, 1952; SN
- Walter J. Stahura, 1953
- Harold R. Macdonald, 1954, 1955
- Alton F. Randall, 1956
- Ross. M. Raymond, 1957
- Howard S. Dawson, 1958
- Frank C. Harrison, 1959
- Edgar B. Johnson, 1960
- A. Raymond Gooch, 1961
- Grover C. Kendall, Jr. 1962
- Sam A. Gilman, 1963
- John C. Morris, 1964
- Kendall G. Jones, 1965; N
- Francis S. M. Harris, 1966
- John P. Jones, 1967
- Robert F. Jones, 1968
- Frank C. Bess, 1969
- Garfield G. Stymiest, 1970
- Carl W. Scott, 1971
- Columbo C. Christofori, 1972, 1974
- Raymond Scovill, 1973
- Donald H. Long, 1975
- Myron C. Bigelow, 1976
- John G. MacDonald, 1977
- Charles T. Fuller, 1978; N
- Albert H. Hammond, 1979
- Alan C. Kingsbury, Sr., 1980
- Walter Uggerholt, 1981
- Bruce H. Stanford, 1982
- Steven A. Weaver, 1983
- Oscar Yohai, 1984
- Herbert W. Ellis, 1985
- Ronald F. Perry, 1986
- Frederick H. Banks, 1987; PDDGM, Maine
- H. Earl Lantery, 1988
- Bruce G. Murphy, 1989
- Thomas R. Hickey, 1990; Mem
- Peter R. Smith, 1991
- David W. Catten, Jr., 1992 DDGM
- Richard B. Farrar, 1993
- Richard F. Grant, 1994
- Calvin R. Lessard, 1995
- Peter K. Stone, 1996
- Allen P. Hoyt, 1997, 2012
- Timothy C. Chapin, 1998
- John R. Powers, 1999
- Robert H. Plugge, 2000
- Barry R. Biddinger, 2001
- Peter D. Howell, 2002, 2011
- James F. Holler, 2003, 2009
- Dennis Souweine, 2004
- Richard D. Grade, 2005
- Nathan A. Grade, 2006, 2008
- Charles B. Coombs, IV, 2007
- Richard J. Hood, 2010
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1856 (Lewis; Constitution of Lodge and installation; see below)
- 1911 (Flanders)
- 1924 (Ferrell; cornerstone laying in Hyannis)
- 1933 (Chipman; hall dedication)
- 1955 (W. Johnson; Centenary)
- 1956 (W. Johnson; "William H. Thomas Night")
- 1963 (Osgood; hall rededication)
- 1974 (Vose; table lodge)
- 1974 (Melanson; 125th Anniversary)
- 1983 (Berquist)
- 1987 (Ames)
- 1998 (A. Johnson)
CENTENARY HISTORY, MAY 1955
From Proceedings, Page 1955-111:
By Brother William H. Thomas.
In compiling Masonic data relative to DeWitt Clinton Lodge, which had its beginning in 1855, we find ourselves handicapped by lack of records covering the early period of the activities of the Lodge. If careful records had been made and preserved during that period, many priceless data would be available, but Secretaries, as well as other officers, can be careless, and as a consequence, our task is the more difficult. Most of us remember the present and immediate past, but for the period preceding we have to rely upon available records. Lodges are but men, and their histories are nothing more than the record of the men who left the influence of their personality upon their successors and on the Lodge whose history they made.
My task is to turn back the pages of history for a century and give the story of our Lodge as briefly as possible, reciting only some of the high spots.
The Charter of our Lodge is dated March 13, 1856, and is signed by Most Worshipful Winslow Lewis, Jr., Grand Master, and R.W. Charles W. Moore, Grand Secretary. The names of the Charter Members are as follows:
- Thomas R. Borden
- Barzilla Sears
- Seth F. Nye
- John G. Forman
- William E. Boyden
- John Harper
- Charles B. Hall
- John W. Pope
However, it was on March 16, 1855, that a Dispensation was issued to the aforesaid Brethren to organize DeWitt Clinton Lodge, and the Grand Master appointed Bro. Thomas R. Borden to be the first Master of the Lodge.
During this period there was a strong anti-Masonic sentiment in this area, the influence of the Protestant element evidently in the minority. In the history of Sandwich, considerable mention is made of Lydia Stutson Bacon, the wife of Josiah Bacon, a prominent man of the time. "Auntie Bacon," as she loved to be called, was a leader in church work and all of its activities. She found cause for alarm in the "Fearful strides Popery seems to be making in our happy land. Should not Protestant Christians soon awake and make commensurate efforts, we shall see Romanism gain the ascendancy. What an awful result to contemplate."
The principal industry in Sandwich at this time was the Glass Works, its product later being highly prized by lovers of fine glassware. Sandwich Glass became famous the world over and cup-plates and other Sandwich Glass items were sent to Queen Victoria. Sandwich at this time was entering on a period of great prosperity, and in 1854, the Sandwich Savings Bank was established, and where once anti-Masonic Democrats, led by Auntie Bacon's Josiah, had cried down the "impious rites of Free Masonry," there was now a DeWitt Clinton Lodge, A. F. & A. M.
We find record on December 24, 1866, relative to an application for membership on which the committee reported favorably, that considerable discussion ensued as to the propriety of the applicant's becoming a Mason, opposed by some on the plea that the applicant, although of irreproachable character, is of a different faith; hence he might not consider the obligations of Freemasonry binding, in case he should be required by his Church to divulge the peculiarities of the Craft. As our community largely represented a different faith, and there were strong possibilities that others of the same faith might petition for the privileges of Freemasonry, it was thought best to make this a test case, and it was voted that the Secretary of the Lodge correspond with the Grand Secretary, R. W. Charles W. Moore, upon the subject, his decision to be final. A communication was later received from the Grand Secretary, denying the right of a lodge to discuss the religious preference of any who petition for the privilege of Freemasonry — the moral character and capability of being a good Mason being the only points for a Lodge to consider. The records further state that a ballot was taken on the application and declared "not clear."
A special communication was held on February 16, 1882, by order of R. W. Russell Matthews, District Deputy Grand Master of the 15th Masonic District. Representatives were present from the several Lodges on the Cape. The meeting was honored by the presence of Most Worshipful Samuel C. Lawrence, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, R. W. Edwin Wright, Deputy Grand Master, and Wor. Charles M. Avery, Grand Lecturer. The work of the three degrees was exemplified and the lectures given. At the close of the meeting, it was voted that the thanks of the Brethren be presented to the Old Colony Railroad for their accommodation in providing free return tickets.
The Lodge was named after DeWitt Clinton of New York, who was a prominent political leader and Mason, and served as Governor of New York for two triennial terms (1817-1823) and was instrumental in building a canal between the waters of Lake Erie and the Hudson River. In 1825 he was again chosen Governor by a large majority, and served from 1825 until his death. As Governor, he took part in the formal Ceremony of admitting the waters of Lake Erie into the canal in October 1825 and thus witnessed the completion of a work which owed more to him than to any other man. On November 13, 1883, it was voted that a committee be appointed to procure a painting of DeWitt Clinton, the eminent Mason of distinction of the State of New York, to be hung upon the walls of the lodge-room; to engross an account of the life and services of DeWitt Clinton to be framed and placed upon the walls of the lodge-room; and also to procure a photo electrotype cut of DeWitt Clinton to be used in printing the notices of the Lodge, so that an engraved likeness of him may be borne upon them, and to make arrangement for the printing of a short biography of DeWitt Clinton, to the end that all members of the Lodge may be supplied with the requisite knowledge of the illustrious man and Masonic Brother for whom this Lodge is named.
The 250th Anniversary of Sandwich was held on September 3, 1889, and from the records of July 3, 1889, we cull the following: "Voted that the Lodge take part in the procession, also voted to invite Plymouth Lodge to join with us on this day, and to invite every Mason in good standing to join with us in the procession, and further voted that the members of this Lodge appear in the procession in dark clothes, Silk Hats and white tie and gloves, and that visiting Lodges and brethren be requested to do the same, and the Secretary was requested to invite the Lodges in this Masonic District to join us as guests, subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the Celebration."
The principal item of business at the meeting of May 20, 1867, was discussion as to the propriety of visiting Boston at the dedication of the Masonic Temple on June 24th. Voted that a committee of one or more be appointed to communicate with the other Lodges in this District and see if any arrangements can be made to be represented as the 15th Masonic District; also to see what arrangement for transportation can be made. By a vote of the Lodge, the Worshipful Master was appointed to attend to this duty. Voted that a specially printed notice be sent to each Brother of the Lodge, requesting him to join the Lodge in the procession on the 24th and that he be asked to return an immediate answer whether he can be present on that occasion. At the meeting of June 17, 1867, the Wor. Master reported that he had attended to the duties assigned him in regard to attending the celebration in Boston on the 24th of June; also read a letter from Mr. Winslow, Superintendent of the Old Colony Railroad. The Master's report was accepted. Voted that the Secretary notify Mr. Winslow by letter that the Lodge declines his offer to pay $3.00 for the round trip to Boston, but will pay the same that New Bedford Lodges do over the same road, or will pay full fare.
On May 6, 1884, we find record that a petition prepared by the Secretary by vote of the Lodge, addressed to the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Abraham H. Howland, Jr., requesting him to transfer DeWitt Clinton Lodge from the 27th Masonic District to the 28th on account of the unfortunate position of the Lodge in its present connection, which by want of adequate railroad facilities, is unable to fraternize with the 27th District and consequently desires to be reunited with the Lodges of the 28th District, with which it was formerly associated. The petition was signed by the Worshipful Master and Wardens and Secretary, on behalf of the members of DeWitt Clinton Lodge. The reply of the Grand Master was transmitted through the Grand Secretary, declining to accede to the request, representing the inconvenience which would result from the proposed transfer. It was voted that the first three officers of the Lodge be appointed to remonstrate personally with the Grand Master relative to his decision. On February 28, 1885, the records state that a letter was received from M. W. Sereno D. Nickerson, Grand Secretary, stating that the Most Worshipful Grand Master has been pleased to transfer DeWitt Clinton to the 28th Masonic District, under the care of R.W. Alexander G. Cash, District Deputy Grand Master.
In the records of July 7, 1891, appears the following: "Considering that the Lodge had something of over $200 in the Treasury, one of the members applied for a loan of $200 for which he would pay 6% with good security. The Lodge accordingly voted to loan him $200 on such terms and security as would satisfy a committee whom the Worshipful Master would appoint."
The most outstanding venture of the Lodge was the purchase in 1927 of the property in Sandwich, in which the Lodge apartments are located. The building was formerly occupied by the Sandwich M. E. Church. The purchase price was $8000. Extensive repairs and alterations were made at a cost of $11,750. The first meeting of the Lodge in its new home was on September 6, 1927. The Temple was formally dedicated to the Craft "in due and ancient form" on May 16, 1933, by Most Worshipful Curtis Chipman, Grand Master, which form the M.W. Grand Master later stated, had been retained in its originality for a period of over two hundred years. We quote the following from the Proceedings of the Grand Lodge for 1933: "On May 16 there was held a Special Communication of the Grand Lodge for the purpose of dedicating a Masonic Temple at Sandwich, where the brethren have purchased and re-modeled a beautiful old church into a most adequate and attractive Temple; with a loving sentiment and tender care, they have carefully preserved all that was old and beautiful in the building, and have used the pews and old fashioned chairs in furnishing the Lodge room. It was a gathering to delight the heart, for somehow it restored our faith in the continuity of things to observe such an audience made up of men, women and children, young and old, descended from the families of those early settlers who braved the dangers and endured the hardships and privations of a pioneer's life in a new land, that freedom to worship God might become the inheritance of future generations."
Our Lodge is well organized and equipped, and has a very creditable membership, both in quantity and quality. Our officers are interested and capable, and are rendering faithful and efficient service.
DeWitt Clinton Lodge has had the honor of having eight District Deputy Grand Masters: Right Worshipful Brothers William H. F. Burbank, George E. White, Charles T. C. Whitcomb, Arthur Braman, Lewis J. Whitney, Fred L. Burrows, Bertrand C. French and William M. Harrison.
The Lodge has had fifty-six Worshipful Masters, of whom twenty-four are living.
The present membership of the Lodge is 238.
125TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1980
From Proceedings, Page 1980-33:
The life of DeWitt Clinton Lodge began in 1854 when a group of Master Masons from the Town of Sandwich, which then included the present Town of Bourne, felt that Sandwich deserved and could support a Masonic Lodge. These Master Masons were members of surrounding Lodges. Many were members of Fraternal Lodge of Barnstable (Hyannis). In this group were such Brothers as Thomas Borden, John Harper, John Pope, Seth Nye, William Boyden, George Foreman, Charles D. Hall and Brazillia Sears, whose names appear on our Charter which was issued by the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. Our Lodge was recommended and sponsored by Fraternal Lodge of Hyannis. Our first Worshipful Master was Brother Thomas Borden who served in 1855-56. Brother William H. Burbank was our first District Deputy Grand Master; he served in 1863-65.
During the latter part of 1854 a petition was sent to the Grand Lodge in Boston, seeking permission to establish a Masonic Lodge in Sandwich. This petition was honored by our Grand Lodge and a warrant was issued to the above group of Brothers on March 15, 1855, thus instituting our Lodge. The official Charter was issued on March 13, 1856. The original copy thereof is in our Lodge today having been carefully preserved through these one hundred and twenty-five years.
Since 1855 DeWitt Clinton Lodge has had eighty Worshipful Masters, some of whom served more than one term, and eleven District Deputy Grand Masters. During the past one hundred and twenty-five years, our Lodge has conferred degrees on more than one thousand members. Today, we have twenty-three Brothers living who have been presented the Fifty Year Veteran's Medal for having been a member in good standing for fifty years or more. During the first years of our Lodge, there was an average of twenty-two members. Today, we have almost four hundred members.
Records show that our Lodge has met continuously since 1855 except for the years of 1860, 1861 and 1908. These interruptions could very well be due to secretarial errors.
Records in Grand Lodge show that the first By-Laws of our Lodge were approved in 1863. It is interesting to note that in the early years the initiation fee was $2.00 and the annual dues were $4.00.
Article One of our By-Laws reads: "This Lodge shall be known and hailed as DeWitt Clinton Lodge ..." Brother DeWitt Clinton was a former Governor of the State of New York. His name was probably chosen for our Lodge because he was the first Provincial Grand Master of The Knight Templars of North America and contributed greatly in the dissemination of Masonry. Brother Clinton prompted the construction of the Erie Canal and officiated at its opening. A quotation of which he was most proud reads: "Better he was a Mason that no Mason at all."
The first site of our Lodge building was the place now occupied by the Sandwich Town Hall Annex, which previously housed the Sandwich Cooperative Bank. After this building burned in 1913, the Lodge moved to Carlton Hall which was located above McCann's store on the corner of Willow and Jar-vis Streets. Access to this hall was by a flight of outside stairs. Brethren who remember this time complain of the room's lack of heat. Brother Blake Norris recalls huddling around a small portable oil stove for warmth.
Fuel shortages during the first World War caused a consolidation of church memberships in Sandwich. About 1848, when the railroad arrived here, a boom in constructing large buildings occurred. The Unitarians, Methodists and Congregationalists all erected large churches. To heat one of these buildings on a Sunday required a great quantity of wood; therefore, the energy conscious congregations joined to worship together in the present Christopher Wren Church. Consequently, the Methodist Church became available for purchase. DeWitt Clinton Lodge obtained this building for $8,000. in 1922. Since the building could not be dedicated until the mortgage had been discharged, it was not until 1933 that the debt was cleared, the mortgage burned, and the building dedicated. Dr. Samuel Beale acquired the corner lot and presented it to the Lodge for parking.
Through the years the building has been modified in many ways. At one time there were spiral canopies over the stations in the East, West and South. In modern times the building has been refurbished and today excellently provides for our needs. Until the early 1920's DeWitt Clinton Lodge was a member of the Nantucket 31st Masonic District. Since that time its affiliation has been with the Hyannis 32nd Masonic District.
During the early years, and up to several years ago, no ciphers were available to candidates. From the early 1900's, our late Brother Edward D. Nickerson was the Lodge's lecturer; all lessons were verbal. Many of our eldest brothers today can recite many portions of the ritual because of this procedure.
DeWitt Clinton Lodge is indebted to many people for their n«p in the preparation of this short history of our Lodge. After the passage of 125 years, it is difficult to compile a comprehensive story of the past since many records were not kept in detail.
We sincerely thank Miss Roberta Hankamer, Librarian at Grand Lodge, for her willingness to review records and send us copies of the Proceedings of the early years. We also thank Brother Everson, Secretary of Fraternal Lodge, for reviewing its early records. We are indebted to our elderly Brothers who with their clearness of mind remember dates and events. Thanks also go to Right Worshipful Kendall G. Jones for his interest in the life of Brother DeWitt Clinton, to Mr. Russell Lovell, Historian for the Town of Sandwich, who supplied many details from the past, to Worshipful Brother Donald Small for his many leads to people with helpful knowledge and to Brother Ben Harrison for his asking his sisters and family for information.
History Committee for De Witt Clinton Lodge
- Wor. Columbo J. Cristofori
- Bro. Bruce H. Stanford
- Bro. Oscar Yohai
DEDICATION AND INSTALLATION OF LODGE, MARCH 1856
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XV, No. 7, May 1856, Page 198:
Having worked with encouraging success under a Dispensation for the usual time, the Brethren composing this new Lodge, petitioned and obtained from the Grand Lodge, in March last, a Charter, empowering them to organize a permanent Lodge, in the pleasant village of Sandwich. They had leased and suitably fitted up a spacious and beautiful hall, with all the necessary conveniences, and being in all other respects prepared for consecration, the M. W. Grand Master, with his officers, visited Sandwich on the evening of the 21st March, for the performance of that essential and interesting duty. The ceremonies were public, and took place in the hall of the Lodge, in the presence of a large assembly of ladies and gentlemen. The services were new to most of the persons present, and were apparently witnessed with much interest and satisfaction. After the consecration services and the installation of the principal officers, the M. W. Grand Master (Dr. Lewis) addressed the Brethren of the new Lodge on the nature arid importance of the duties they had assumed; after which a procession was formed, and the company repaired to the Central House, where a sumptuous banquet had been handsomely spread for their refreshment. About eighty persons, including the ladies, sat down at the tables, under the Presidency of Brother Dr. J. Harper, who discharged the delicate duties of his appointment in a manner that contributed much to the gratification of the guests and the sociability of the occasion. Short addresses were made by the President, and by the Grand Master, and Brothers Sheppard, Moore and Coolidge, of Boston, Brothers David Parker and Rev. S. Pope, of Barnstable, Rev. Thomas Borden, Master of the new Lodge, and we believe some others, whose names have escaped us.
The sentiments announced by the President of the evening, were so much above the ordinary tone of such matters, that we depart from our usual rule, and lay a part of them before our readers,—premising that they were all drank in cool, if not "sparkling water:"—
- The M. Worshipful Grand Lodge of our State — A noble column, whose capital is admired for the grace and beamy of its ornaments. May the structure which it supports be worthy of such a head.
- The members of De Witt Clinton Lodge — May you be worthy of the name you bear, emulating his virtues, and profiting by his example.
- By the President. — There can be no disparagement in applying the term flock to such an assembly as this, when so excellent a Shepherd is with us.
- By the Same.— It seems to be in the nature of man to be dissatisfied. Notwithstanding he is surrounded with every enjoyment, he still wishes for Moore.
- Grand Marshal Coolidge — A worthy Brother of the Square and Compass, "Pleased with each good that Heaven to man supplies."
- David Parker — A veteran in the Masonic ranks, whose sympathetic mind / Exults in all the good of all mankind.
- Pope — Often have we been delighted with Pope of Twickenham; his sweet strains have beguiled many a leisure hour, and soothed us into love to God and love to man; we have also a Pope of Hyannis, whose theme is lofty, and whose thoughts are generally derived from the source of all inspiration, still pointing us to love to God and love to man, with a surer aim. Him we are proud to call Brother, and his voice is always acceptable to our ears.
The President then said —
"The ladies who have honored us with their presence need not be at all disturbed because they are not admitted to the privacy of our Lodges. I can assure them they are always well represented there by the cardinal virtues, which as female figures, continually remind us to practice them. I have the honor of proposing,
- Woman — the noblest work of a glorious creation.
Rev. T. Borden made a short response.
- Our Brother Masons all over the World — We know no North, no South, no East and no West; the universe is our platform, our watchword is Brotherly Love.
The following are the officers for the current year :— Thomas Borden, W. M.; Win. H. F. Burbank, S. W.; John W. Pope, J. W,; Wm. E. Boyden, Treasurer; Seth F. Nye, Secretary; Stephen R. Rogers, S. D. ; Charles B. Hall, J. D.; Geo. W. L. Hatch, T.; J. G. Forman, Chaplain.
CHARGE BY GRAND MASTER LEWIS
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XV, No. 10, August 1856, Page 310:
As the official head of Freemasonry of Masssachusetts, I welcome you, as now of the numerous family of that venerable body ; and trust that you will long continue to aid, support and maintain the excellence which has ever been attached to our time honored and honorable Institution. You commence your course when all is fair and smiling. Masonry is now at high meridian, on a railroad speed. Your car is placed on a track well laid down, firmly graded, resting on two parallel lines, cleaving to which you cannot physically or Masonically err. The journey of your passengers is subdivided into three sections, and at each of these I charge you to stop for a time sufficient to refresh and invigorate them. It is all important for their Masonic Health. If hurried on unduly, their heads become confused, they see nothing on their too rapid course, arrive at their journey's end without satisfaction, sleep away their tedium, awake, and find the whole, as it were, a dream. I beseech you, let them tarry at each section, inform them of the prominent places over which they have been conducted. It will invigorate them for their future career, increase their confidence and appreciation of the excellence of the road, and of the wisdom and sagacity of the founders of this ancient Corporation. The stock will rise in the market of public opinion, and dividends, better than gold or silver, will add to the wealth of the stockholders. Be not over anxious to take up all and every one on your way, for the sake of the mere fare. It retards progress; and although pecuniary increase be the result, it is at the expense of the comfort and welfare of those who desire to travel with advantage and improvement. Overburden not your car with numbers. Too full, the dead weight will depress the elasticity of the springs, and arrest the wheels of action. Scrutinize severely and critically all who apply for tickets. This is an "act in addition to all acts," in regard to your peculiar Charter. You may require the motives which induced the holder to undertake his journey; if he is duly and truly prepared for it; if he is morally and intellectually qualified to become both a useful, agreeable and valuable companion; one capable of imparting as well as receiving information; one, in brief, whom you would receive at your domestic and social circle, as well as in your Masonic car.
There is a pernicious habit, too much practised, in our Corporation, of Conductors applying to the Directors to run special trains, irrespective of time. They hurry at an express speed, and do it in one evening ; stop not to halt, and refresh; know not where they have been, or what attractions they might have passed. Such travellers are not apt to become useful or advantageous. They go through in darkness, and observe no light in their transit. I charge you, then, to avoid this practice. It should be resorted to but in extreme emergencies, and with the utmost caution. With such precautions the stock of the De Witt Clinton must rise much above par. Officers have been chosen whose reputation and knowledge of the road arid its branches, will ensure the confidence of all who select this route to lead them where they would be. The Superintendent possesses the great essentials for this important office. With perfect knowledge of the machinery, of the springs, of the wheels, of the track, of the course, and of the combined action of the whole, all will be managed with discretion ; all perfected with excellence. Under such auspices, the traveller will be both delighted and instructed. The price of his fare he will deem well bestowed, and his strong desire must be to invest still further in that fund where investments repay mind and soul. The executive from whom your Charter is derived, will look with the warmest interest on your progression, and now, on starting, bids you God speed!
RESOLUTIONS, OCTOBER 1856
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XVI, No. 1, October 1856, Page 32:
Sandwich, Mass. Oct. 15, 1856.
At a communication of DeWitt Clinton Lodge, held on Friday evening the 17th inst., the following Preamble and Resolutions were presented and unanimously accepted.
- Whereas, our Worshipful Master, who has presided over the meetings of the Brethren of DeWitt Clinton Lodge from its commencement to the present time, is about to resign the honorable station which he has held with equal credit to himself, and honor to the Fraternity, from the necessity of removing to another Stale to exercise his clerical duties in a wider field of labor, therefore, in a full meeting of the Brethren of De Witt Clinton Lodge,
- Resolved, That the thanks of the Lodge be tendered to him for the interest he has manifested, and for the efforts he has pul forth to advance the prosperity of the Lodge since its establishment in this place.
- Resolved, That he carries with him our sincere wishes that his domestic circle may long be free from the evils incident to humanity, and that health and peace may enable him successfully to disseminate the high principles of our Order, and thus increase the circle of Brotherly love and friendship wherever his lot may be cast.
- Resolved, That a copy of these Resolutions be presented to our worthy Brother as a token of our esteem; — that they also be entered on the records, and a copy sent the Editor of the "Freemasons' Monthly Magazine", for publication.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Arthur Braman, DDGM, District 27 (Nantucket), 1904, 1905; SN
- Fred E. Burrows, DDGM, District 31 (Nantucket), 1925, 1926; N
- David W. Catten, Jr., DDGM, District 20, 2012, 2013
- Allison R. Cook, DDGM, District 32 (Hyannis), 1957, 1958; SN
- Bertrand C. French, DDGM, District 32 (Hyannis), 1945, 1946; N
- Charles T. Fuller, DDGM, District 32 (Hyannis), 1986, 1987; N
- William M. Harrison, DDGM, District 32 (Hyannis), 1937, 1938; N
- Thomas R. Hickey, DDGM, District 32 (Hyannis), 2002; District 20, 2003; Memorial
- Walter H. Hiller, DDGM, District 28 (Attleboro), 1956, 1957; Memorial; N
- Kendall G. Jones, DDGM, District 32 (Hyannis), 1977, 1978; N
- James E. O'Toole, DDGM, District 32 (Hyannis), 1967, 1968; N
- Peter R. Smith, DDGM, District 32 (Hyannis), 1994, 1995; Junior Grand Warden 1998
- Charles T.C. Whitcomb, DDGM, District 27 (Nantucket), 1910, District 31 (Nantucket), 1911, 1912; SN
- George E. White, DDGM, District 27 (Nantucket), 1897, 1898; Memorial
- Lewis J. Whitney, DDGM, District 31 (Nantucket), 1920; N