WINSLOW LEWIS, JR., Grand Master
- 1 NOTES
- 2 QUARTERLY COMMUNICATIONS
- 3 SPECIAL COMMUNICATIONS
- 4 FEAST OF ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST
- 5 LIST OF LODGES BY DATE OF PRECEDENCE: 1855
Held at Masonic Temple, Boston
- 03/14: V-560;
- 06/13: V-566;
- 09/12: V-574;
- 12/12: V-585; (Annual Communication)
- V-561: Petition by Mount Zion Lodge to remove to Barre, approved; dues also to be remitted.
- V-562: Invitation by Montgomery Lodge, Milford to attend St. John's Day on June 24; accepted.
- V-564: Report that a delegation from the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania would visit Boston "on Masonic business" in March; Grand Master authorized to receive it.
- V-567ff: Resolutions concerning the prevention of acceptance of applications from previously-rejected candidates.
- V-570: Resolution regarding the direction for the Committee on Charity.
- V-570: Committee appointed to consider the expediency of setting aside an entire day for work and lectures.
- 09/12: V-575; committee recommended a lodge of instruction at each Quarterly communication, in addition to the special one on 12/27.
- V-571: Grand Master presented the "daguerrotype likeness" of Bro. Moses Thomas of New Bedford. Resolution of thanks to this elderly brother.
- V-578: Grand Secretary directed to send notifications of Quarterly Communications to Masters and Wardens, and (V-579) to receive certification of the names of Masters and Wardens within one week of their election.
- V-579: Correspondence regarding conflict between Rt. Wor. Jeremiah Stone and King Hiram's Lodge; referred.
- 12/12: V-588; reviewed, King Hiram's Lodge proceedings endorsed, recommendation for Bro. Stone to be expelled.
- V-580: Grand Master's remarks at the redeposit of the plate in the State House Cornerstone be entered in the records of the Grand Lodge.
- V-580: Grand Master authorized to "have such additions and alterations made to the regalia" for the celebration in Philadelphia on 09/26.
- V-587: Reception of Bro. Wha-hah-Goosh, President Chief of the "Seven United Nations".
- V-590: Report of the Committee of Finance.
- V-593: Report of the Committee of Charity.
- V-595: Report of the Committee on the Library.
- V-596: Final report of the Committee on Portraits; only Bigelow and Crane missing from the post-Union Grand Masters. Also obtained a portrait of John B. Hammatt. See Portraits summary page.)
- V-599: Re-election of Grand Master Lewis (70 ballots) and other Grand Lodge officers elected.
- V-601: Committee on Regalia appointed.
- V-603: Committee on arrangements appointed.
Grand Constitutions Amendment Proposals
- 09/12: V-577; Committee appointed to consider amendment to the Constitutions regarding presentation of standard Work.
- 12/12: V-594; Committee recommended against adoption of this amdendment.
- 12/12: V-598; Amendment to Part 1, Article 8, Section 10, requiring District Deputies to make their returns earlier; referred.
Lodge By-Law Changes
- 03/14: V-563; Lodge of St. Andrew, approved.
- 09/12: V-578; St. John's (Boston), approved.
- 09/12: V-578; Mount Lebanon, approved.
Necrologies and Memorials
Petitions for Charters
- 09/12: V-579; Petition for Mount Hermon Lodge, U.D., Woburn, granted; they may consider under dispensation (V-580) until such a charter should be granted. (Dispensation 10/17/1854)
- 12/12: V-586; Petition for Mount Horeb Lodge, U.D., West Harwich; referred.
- 12/12: V-592; Charter granted. (Dispensation 11/08/1854)
- 12/12: V-586; Petition for Putnam Lodge, U.D., East Cambridge; referred.
- 12/12: V-601; Charter granted; lodge permitted to work under dispensation until the charter is ready. (Dispensation 12/14/1854)
- 12/12: V-586; Petition for Germania Lodge, U.D., Boston; referred.
- 12/12: V-588; By-Laws in German and English. Charter granted. (Dispensation 12/13/1854)
- 12/12: V-586; Petition for [Benjamin] Franklin Lodge, U.D., West Dennis; referred.
- 12/12: V-591; Charter granted under the name "Benjamin Franklin". (Dispensation 02/12/1855)
Petitions for Dispensation for Lodges
- Agawam, Wareham (01/18; mentioned in Grand Master's Address, V-613) Note: this lodge was never chartered.
- Gate of the Temple, South Boston (03/15; V-563)
- DeWitt Clinton, Sandwich (03/16; mentioned in Grand Master's Address, V-613)
- Blackstone River, Blackstone (12/12; mentioned in Grand Master's Address, V-613)
- Mount Horeb, Woburn (12/13; mentioned in Grand Master's Address, V-613)
- Winslow Lewis, Boston (12/27; V-615)
Petitions for Restoration of Charter
- 12/12: V-587; Petition to restore St. Alban's Lodge, Wrentham, and to remove to Foxborough; referred.
- 12/12: V-594; to be granted with the permission of the nearest lodge, at the discretion of the Grand Master.
- 08/07: V-581; Laying of Corner Stone, Boston State House. Grand Master Lewis discovered the original plates deposited by Grand Master Revere in 1795. (See 1795 Cornerstone Laying for the original ceremony.)
FEAST OF ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST
(held at Masonic Temple, Boston, 12/27/1855)
- V-606: Report of Trustees of the Temple.
- V-607: Report of Trustees of the Grand Charity Fund.
- V-609: Lodge of Instruction.
- V-610: Installation of Grand Master Lewis, and other Grand Lodge officers.
- V-612: Address of Grand Master Lewis.
- V-612: Address of Rt. Wor. G. Washington Warren, a "philosophical analysis of the character and objects of the Institution."
- V-615: Resolution to purchase regalia from the Grand Lodge of England.
LIST OF LODGES BY DATE OF PRECEDENCE: 1855
When more information is available, this will be updated with district information. (Note: There were 10 "reorganized" Districts in 1855, plus special areas for Nantucket and Provincetown.
- DISTRICT 1: Hiram G. Clark, Boston, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 2: Isaac P. Seavey, Newburyport, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 3: Peter Lawson, Lowell, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 4: Jonathan Greenwood, Framingham, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 5: Albert Case, Hingham, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 6: Horace Chenery, Worcester, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 7: Lucien B. Keith, New Bedford, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 8: Sylvanus Baxter, Provincetown, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 9: W. Franklin Weston, Dalton, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 10: Charles Mattoon, Greenfield, District Deputy Grand Master
- NANTUCKET: Benjamin Brown, Nantucket, Special Deputy for Nantucket
- PROVINCETOWN: J.P. Johnson, Provincetown, Special Deputy for Provincetown
Note that District Grand Lecturers were appointed, as per the vote in Grand Lodge; the District Deputy Grand Masters were appointed, except for District 1 (Wor. William C. Martin).
- St. John's (Boston, 1733)
- Lodge of St. Andrew, (Boston, 1756)
- Philanthropic (Marblehead, 1760)
- St. John's (Newburyport, 1766)
- The Massachusetts (Boston, 1770)
- The Tyrian (Gloucester, 1770)
- Union (Nantucket, 1771)
- King Solomon's (Charlestown, 1783)
- Essex (Salem, 1791)
- Old Colony (Hingham, 1792)
- Morning Star (Worcester, 1793)
- Middlesex (Framingham, 1795)
- Cincinnatus (Sheffield, 1795)
- King Hiram's (Provincetown, 1795)
- Evening Star (Lee, 1795)
- Republican (Greenfield, 1795)
- Harmony (Northfield, 1796)
- Columbian (Boston, 1796)
- Union (Dorchester, 1796)
- Washington (Roxbury, 1796)
- Jerusalem (Northampton, 1797)
- Olive Branch (Sutton, 1797)
- St. Paul's (Groton, 1797)
- Meridian (Natick, 1797)
- Hiram (West Cambridge, 1797)
- Corinthian (Concord, 1797)
- Fellowship (Bridgewater, 1797)
- Montgomery (Milford, 1797)
- Bristol (Attleboro, 1797)
- King David (Taunton, 1798)
- Rising Star (Stoughton, 1799)
- Mount Zion (Hardwick, 1800)
- Aurora (Fitchburg, 1801)
- Corner Stone (Duxbury, 1801)
- Mount Lebanon (Boston, 1801)
- Fraternal (Barnstable, 1801)
- Rural (Quincy, 1801)
- Merrimack (Haverhill, 1802)
- St. Mark's (Newburyport, 1803)
- Mount Carmel (Lynn, 1805)
- Amicable (Cambridge, 1805)
- Pentucket (Lowell, 1807)
- Jordan (Danvers, 1808)
- Mystic (Pittsfield, 1810)
- Hampden (Springfield, 1817)
- Solomon's Temple (Uxbridge, 1818)
- St. Alban's (Foxborough, 1818) charter restored, and removed to new location
- Norfolk Union (Randolph, 1819)
- Bethesda (Brighton, 1819)
- Monitor (Waltham, 1820)
- St. Matthew's (Andover, 1822)
- Warren (Amesbury, 1822)
- Star in the East (New Bedford, 1823)
- Mount Hope (Fall River, 1824)
- Liberty (Beverly, 1824)
- Orphan's Hope (Weymouth, 1825)
- Bethel (Enfield, 1825)
- Grecian (Lawrence, 1825)
- Plymouth (Plymouth, 1825)
- Star of Bethlehem (Chelsea, 1844)
- Mount Tabor (East Boston, 1846)
- St. Paul's (South Boston, 1846)
- Lafayette (North Adams, 1847)
- Chicopee (Chicopee, 1848)
- Mount Tom (Holyoke, 1850)
- Franklin (Grafton, 1851)
- Ashler (Rockport, 1851)
- Baalbec (East Boston, 1852)
- Ancient York (Lowell, 1852)
- Bethesda (Valparaiso, Chile, 1854)
- Mount Hermon (Woburn, 1854)
- Mount Horeb (West Harwich, 1854)
- Germania (Boston, 1854)
- Putnam (East Cambridge, 1854)
- Benjamin Franklin (Dennis, 1855)
- Agawam (Wareham, U.D.)
- Gate of the Temple (South Boston, U.D.)
- DeWitt Clinton (Sandwich, U.D.)
- Blackstone River (Blackstone, U.D.)
- Mount Horeb (Woburn, U.D.)
- Winslow Lewis (Boston, U.D.)