- 1 SAINT PAUL'S LODGE (SOUTH BOSTON / BOSTON / BRAINTREE)
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.4.1 HISTORICAL SKETCH, 1879
- 2.4.2 CENTENARY HISTORY, APRIL 1946
- 2.4.3 125TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1971
- 188.8.131.52 MEETING PLACES
- 184.108.40.206 BENEVOLENT FUNDS
- 220.127.116.11 PERMANENT AND LIFE MEMBERSHIP FUNDS
- 18.104.22.168 THROUGH THE YEARS
- 22.214.171.124 OUR FUTURE
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 EVENTS
- 2.7 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.8 OTHER BROTHERS
- 2.9 DISTRICTS
- 2.10 LINKS
SAINT PAUL'S LODGE (SOUTH BOSTON / BOSTON / BRAINTREE)
Chartered By: Simon W. Robinson
Charter Date: 03/10/1847 V-130
Precedence Date: 06/10/1846
- E.M.P. Wells, 1846
- Jacob Page, 1847, 1848 died in office
- Charles H. White, 1849-1854, 1865, 1866
- Steven Lovell, 1855, 1856
- Thomas Hill, Jr., 1857, 1858
- Goward H. Brainard, 1859-1861
- Nicholas A. Appolonio, 1862-1864
- David Armstrong, 1867
- Parker C. Burbank, 1868
- Alfred Smith, 1869
- Frederick G. Walbridge, 1870, 1871
- William H.H. Soule, 1872, 1873
- George S. Worcester, 1874, 1875
- Hollis R. Gray, 1876
- James L. Wilson, 1877
- Charles T. Gallagher, 1878, 1879
- Samuel P. Wallis, 1880, 1881
- Charles J. Vaughn, 1882, 1883
- William B. Reid, 1884, 1885
- John A. Abraham, 1886, 1887
- William P. Stone, Jr., 1888, 1889
- Henry B. Chandler, 1890, 1891; Mem
- George F. W. Richmond, 1892, 1893
- Benjamin O. Dana, 1894
- Alpheus Hill, 1895, 1896
- Horace M. Bickford, 1897, 1898
- Frederick D. Pierce, 1899
- Frank T. Taylor, 1900-1902
- Alden B. Johnson, 1903, 1904
- Arthur L. Foster, 1905, 1906
- Clement G. Lewis, 1907, 1908
- John H. Abraham, 1909, 1910
- William E. Harmon, 1911
- George L. Whitehouse, 1912
- Frank S. Littlefield, 1913, 1914
- James L. Belser, 1915
- William G. Irwin, 1916
- Frank E. Howard, 1917
- Frederick G. Hartwell, 1918
- William Hiltz, 1919
- Ralph B. Hilton, 1920
- John E. Bernhard, 1921
- Harold F. Wilkinson, 1922
- Walter F. Johnson, 1923; Mem
- J. Foster Cole, 1924
- Andrew Thompson, 1925
- Henry M. MacLeod, 1926
- Herbert A. Milk, 1927
- Harold A. Batten, 1928
- Harold R. Howard, 1929
- James L. Reid, 1930, 1954; N
- Walter H. Watson, 1931
- Edward C. Fowler, 1932
- Albert K. Blaydow, 1933
- M. Clayton Gould, 1934
- Cyril G. Hyland, 1935
- Peter A. Day, 1936; N
- LeRoy C. Berry, 1937
- Alton E. Ferguson, 1938
- Arthur O. Odegard, 1939
- Edwin A. Smith, 1940
- Harold E. Young, 1941
- M. Clayton Gould, 1942
- Charles H. Silver, 1943
- Fredrick W. Clausen, 1944; SN
- Abbott G. Allbee, 1945
- Ashton Hardy, 1946
- George H. Roberts, 1947
- Marcus Dirks, 1948
- Robert A. Johnson, 1949
- Thomas M. MacDougall, 1950
- William B. Ackerly, 1951
- Minot F. Smith, 1952
- Perley E. Lord, 1953
- Melvin F. Hill, 1955, 1981, 1982
- Frank E. Nelson, 1956, 1957; N
- Frank L. Mason, 1958
- William A. Anderson, 1959
- Gerald R. Coats, 1960
- Berge A. Sjostrom, 1961
- Edward E. Sjostrom, 1962
- Malcolm M. Kent, 1963
- I. Warren Thompson, 1964
- John P. Bruce, 1965
- William A. Wood, 1966-1968
- Paul E. Boyle, 1969
- Vernon S. Bowers, 1970, 1972; Mem; N
- Earl H. Wise, 1971
- Gerald N. Coats, 1973
- Robert A. MacDougall, 1974; PDDGM
- Stephen N. Roberts, 1975, 1977
- Malcolm M. Kent, 1976
- Ronald O. Preble, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1983; N
- Joseph H. Hilchey, 1984-1986
- Bradford B. Hill, 1987
- Jonathan F. Hill, 1988
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1846
- Petition for Charter: 1847
- Consolidation Petition (with Algonquin Lodge): 1988
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1872 (Nickerson; Hall dedication; Special Communication)
- 1881 (Lawrence)
- 1890 (Wells)
- 1896 (Holmes)
- 1897 (Hutchinson; 50th Anniversary)
- 1900 (Gallagher; 2 visits)
- 1901 (Gallagher)
- 1906 (Blake)
- 1909 (Flanders)
- 1914 (M. Johnson)
- 1946 (Wragg; 2 visits; reception for Senior Grand Warden Peter A. Day; Centenary, Special Communication)
- 1962 (Eaton; reception for Senior Grand Warden James L. Reid)
- 1970 (Jaynes)
- 1971 (Jaynes; 125th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1988 (Ames; Consolidation; Special Communication)
- 1879 (Historical Sketch; from Liberal Freemason; see below)
- 1946 (Centenary History, 1946-105; see below)
- 1971 (125th Anniversary History, 1971-94)
HISTORICAL SKETCH, 1879
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. III, No. 4, July 1879, Page 112, and
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. III, No. 5, August 1879, Page 131, and
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. III, No. 7, October 1879, Page 196:
On the 14th day of February, 1846, eight Brethren, members of the mystic order, assembled in response to a notice, which resulted in organizing St. Paul's Lodge, and electing a Master, Wardens, Treasurer, and Secretary, and without delay in proceeding to work.
The Brethren alluded to were all residents of South Boston, and there they desired to erect a Masonic Home. The records show that L. M. Barker, George E. Tyler, Charles Robbins. Ebenezer Stevens, Jacob Page, C. J. F. Allen, Sumner Crosby and William Wood organized properly and elected, — "E. M. P. Wells, Master; L. M. Barker, S. W.; Jacob Page, J. W.; George E. Tyler, Sec.; and C. J. F. Allen, Treas.," and at the next meeting, March 3, the organization was completed, and such business transacted as was necessary to properly clothe the Lodge.
The W. Master announced the authority of Dispensation from the M. W. G. Master, and the first candidates were proposed for the degrees, namely, Charles H. White, Charles Sampson, Samuel R. Spinney; and three brethren were admitted to association with the eight named.
At a special meeting held March 17th, it was reported that Brooks Hall could be had for $50.00 per annum, and it was agreed that the Tyler should be paid $1.00 per evening for his services, and at a meeting held fourteen days later it was voted to invite all Master Masons in good standing to attend the next communication. This came on April 7th, when the three candidates previously named were elected, and each received e Degree of Entered Apprentice. At this meeting four other candidates were proposed, and thereafter the Lodge had an abundance of work.
Since its organization, it appears that 528 persons have been made Masons in it, 24 others have been elected to receive the degrees, but have failed from various causes to present themselves for initiation, and 75 have been rejected; making a total of 627 persons, whose names have been before the lodge since its organization to June 19th, 1879.
During its existence the Lodge has met in Brooks Hall, Mt. Washington Hall, Jenkins' Hall, and in the present Masonic Hall.
Brooks Hall was in the two-story wooden building on the northerly side of Broadway and now adjoining Monk's Building, the corner of E Street, but it does not appear that the vote March 17th was conclusive, for on July 8th, 5846, the records read, "At an adjourned meeting holden at Mt. Washington Hall, &c." On Nov. 10th following, a committee was appointed confer with Mt. Washington Encampment of Odd Fellows, the subjects of rent and other matters touching the convenience of the Lodge, and finally, Jan. 5th, 1847, the rent seems have been established at $100 "for one year, $6.00 for each extra night, and for extra use of ante-room, 50 cents, provided there is another entrance made to the Hall," all of which was probably acceded to, as the Lodge continued to hold its meetings there until April 1852, when it removed to Mr. Joshua Jenkins' Hall, corner of Broadway and B Street under a ten years lease at $100 per year, and on March 3d following it was voted to call this new hall "Masonic Hall." fO properly furnish this Hall it was estimated that $200 would be required, and it was recommended that one-half that sum be raised among the members, and one-half by subscription among gentlemen outside of the Lodge who were not members of it, and this was successfully accomplished, $50 being the gift of St. Andrew's Lodge of Boston.
On the 10th of March, 1847, the Grand Lodge passed upon the work of the Lodge while under Dispensation, a Charter was granted, and on the 30th of the same month the records say "the Lodge was Consecrated and Constituted by the name and style of St. Paul's Lodge, agreeably to the usages of the Ancient Fraternity.
At this meeting it was unanimously "Resolved, that the Rev. E. M. P. Wells, our late R. W. Master, receive the thanks of the members of St. Paul's Lodge for the very courteous, able and dignified manner in which he discharged the duties of the chair, and that the Secretary present him with a copy of this resolve."
The Master, Wardens, Treasurer and Secretary installed on the evening of Constitution were Jacob Page, Ebenezer Stevens, and Joseph D. Green, and C. J. F. Allen, and Joseph Cleasby.
On April 6th, the first regular meeting under the Charter, seven brethren who had acted with the Lodge while under Dispensation, were admitted to membership by Resolution, on condition that they sign the By-Laws; at this meeting, too, Josiah Dunham, Jr., was elected a member, and he subsequently became distinguished in the Lodge for his many years service as Treasurer.
It was also voted to continue the Lectures on certain evenings, a practice which had been early adopted by the Lodge, and which it still continues with marked advantage to its ritualistic excellence.
On June 1st, 1847, a committee presented two devices, and they were instructed to procure a Seal, " from the device having two images at the Altar."
The first Book of Records ends with Nov. 8th, 1861, and the several incidents hereafter alluded to in this sketch will come within that period.
Conspicuous in the character of the Lodge has been its many pronounced expressions of Charity. The first of these was in aid of a widow, Nov. 1st, 1849, and the amounts given have varied from $5.00 to $50.00 at a time, the smaller sum being the exceptional one; the larger sums have always been in aid of widows; the gifts have been widely extended and have reached widows in Maine, and New York, and once to the Masonic Board of Relief in New Orleans, once to California, and occasionally an old man, or decayed Mason has been helped upon his way, or assisted to work, the latter by far the better charity, when possible.
As early as July 5th, 1847, the Lodge established a Committee on Charity, and a "Visiting Committee," whose duty consists in visiting the poor and the sick. The first sorrow came upon the Lodge in April 1848, and on the 13th of that month the members were called to attend the funeral of the first Master, Wor. Jacob Page; the Rev. Brother J. H. Clinch, was appointed to write a letter of condolence to the widow, and the Lodge was draped with mourning for the space of six months.
The first case for disciplining a member occurred Oct. 31st, 1848, and resulted in suspension. Life Membership, and Honorary, was established Jan. 2d, 1849, by amendments to the By-Laws, and a form of certificate for the former was adopted March 6th following.
The Lodge has had many invitations to celebrations of St. John's Day in June, within the State, one from Portsmouth, N. H., and one from Picton, N. S.
On Oct. 20th, 1852, a notice was received from Grand Lodge of Celebration of the Centennial Anniversary of the Initiation of Gen. George Washington to be held in Faneuil Hall, Boston, Nov. 4th, and at the same meeting a communication from Fredericksburg, Va., giving notice of intention to erect a monumental Masonic Temple to the memory of Gen. George Washington, and asking pecuniary aid for the project.
The year 1853 seems to have been full of interest to the Lodge. The Hv-Laws were revised in February, and 500 copies were ordered tube printed. Jewels for Chaplains, Stewards, and Inside Sentinel, and twelve officer's collars were procured. And in April "Masonic Hall" was formally dedicated by the M. W. Grand Master, accompanied by nine other officers of Grand Lodge. On this occasion we notice that an officer was installed by proxy, a practice which may have had reason for its sanction, but one which we think is dangerous and useless. Five preparation suits, and four Charts were also added to the Furniture of the Lodge.
1854, a candidate received one degree, was objected to and refused further advancement, and though the matter was subsequently brought up more than once, the Lodge adhered to its refusal. In June of this year a communication was received asking aid for erecting a "Central Grand Masonic Temple in Washington, D. C," but no action was taken.
Oct. 20th, the first Past Master's Jewel in the Lodge was nted to its first initiate, now W. Bro. White. Five days later a request from a committee of the city proper, asked that the charge for the degrees be established at $30.00, but St. Paul's advanced from $20 to $25.00, and on Nov. 7th following, it recommended that regular meetings should hereafter be held on the first Tuesday in each month, and the change was adopted. On the 9th of March, 1855, a vote was passed sanctioning the organization of Gate of the Temple Lodge. During this year various additions were made to the paraphernalia, a "Black Book" was procured in which should be kept the names of all rejected candidates. A new organ was bought and music became an attractive feature in the work.
Jan. 1st, 1856, the use of the Hall was granted "to several brethren for the purpose of instruction in the work of Masonry." On March 14th, gas was introduced into the Hall for the first and the Hall was further renovated during the year.
July 1st, the committee upon Hall were instructed to procure five dozen pair of white gloves for the use of members.
Sept. 9th, an invitation was received from Grand Lodge, "to take part in the Celebration of the Inauguration of the Franklin Statue." Voted, "That it was inexpedient to take part as a lodge." This year was further made memorable by the election of Bro. Horace Smith to be Secretary, an office which s gracefully filled since that period.
"Whereas Masonic Hall has since its consecration been regularly adorned in a manner peculiarly appropriate and creditable to the taste of the Lodges occupying it, St. Paul's Lodge is hereby invited to meet the Gate of the Temple Lodge, on the terms of a social entertainment, to be held at these apartments at a time to be agreed upon."
A communication from the same body stated that they had formed a committee of three Royal Arch Masons, and asked from St. Paul's to consider the matter of forming a Chapter. The first was complied with, but the latter was not held until about six years later.
21st April, the Lodge was invited to take part in the dedication of the Statue of Gen. Joseph Warren on Bunker Hill. On the 17th of June following, under the direction of Grand Lodge, M. W. Bro. Winslow Lewis being Chairman of the Committee. This was accepted, a new banner was procured at a cost of $75.00, and the members of Gate of the Temple and Union Lodges, the latter of Dorchester, were with St. Paul's.
As a rare event, the Lodge met at 8 o'clock, A. M., escorted by the Manchester City Guards, which organization received the thanks of the Lodge, at its next meeting. The lodge voted to pay for the supper had by the Guards on the evening of the 17th, and extended its thanks to Union Lodge for its participation.
In 1858 the By-Laws were reported as approved by the lodge, and under that date they appear for the first time in the records.
In 1859, the lodge joined with the Grand Lodge in laying the cornerstone of the National Monument to the Forefathers in Plymouth on August 2d, and a Dinner was provided there in the Masonic Hall, at the expense of the Lodge, which was subsequently reported to be $168.50.
During the period covered in this sketch, the Lodge has received a number of useful presents, including a gavel, a falling sofa, a ballot box, and ballots, together with other articles. it received its first official visitation Dec. 1, 1846, from the then Grand Master, and in each successive year it has been similarly visited, but more generally by the D. D. G. Master. These several visits have usually been in November, that for 1861 being on the 5th of that month.
It will be necessary to reserve for a second part, the further history of the Lodge as shown in the records kept by its present efficient Secretary.
The year 1862 dawned prosperously upon the Lodge, and the brethren awoke more fully to the charms of Music. The W. Master stated on February 4th that he had heard the Gate of the Temple Lodge was about to introduce instrumental music in the work of the degrees, and that Lodge was prepared to make arrangements with St. Paul's for their mutual advantage — the matter was referred to a Committee, and subsequently a brother was authorized to make terms and see if any proper person would be willing to volunteer to play the organ.
On Sept. 2d, 1862, a Committee was appointed to co-operate with Gate of the Temple Lodge to purchase the estate known as St. Matthew's Church, on Broadway, between D and E streets, on such terms as they should deem satisfactory. In connection with this, proposals were made to subscribe in behalf of the Lodge for Stock, to obtain subscriptions, to pnrchase, alter and to improve the building, and finally after a variety of votes on the subject, it was voted to sell at not less than cost and interest. The result was reported May 5th, 1868, and that the Treasurer of the Lodge had purchased its entire interest in that property on the terms proposed by the Lodge.
July 7th, 1863.- Voted to let the Hall to St. Matthew's Chapter for $1.00 an evening for one year, and on July 9th the Chapter returned a vote of thanks for this generous offer by the Lodge.
January 5th, 1864.- The candidate refused advancement in May 1854 was granted a hearing, which resulted in his receiving the Second and Third degrees, and in becoming a member of the Lodge.
June 7th.— A new Code of By-Laws in Seven Articles was adopted.
On April 6th, 1864, the Winthrop House in Boston was destroyed by fire; this disaster rendered the various Masonic Bodies occupying apartments there houseless, until others could be procured. St. Paul's Lodge was among the first to offer Masonic shelter; some availed themselves of it, and the records of June 15th and July 5th of that year show that Columbian Lodge and St. Andrew's Chapter returned votes of thanks for use of Hall and regalia.
On September 6th, a communication was received from Germania Lodge, working in the German language, relative to other Lodges conferring degrees on candidates of German birth, but action was thought to be unnecessary.
October 14th.— The Grand Lodge laid with imposing ceremonies the Corner Stone of the New Masonic Temple on site of Old Winthrop House in Boston. St. Paul's Lodge appeared in the procession, with a band of music, first escorting Gate of the Temple Lodge to the Common, and subsequently the Lodge dined at the Adams House.
November 1st. — The By-Laws were amended to make the fee for the degrees $35.00.
The Annual Meeting on December 6th, 1864, appears to have been an interesting one, as no less than 111 votes were cast at one time in the election of officers.
The Lodge continued to be prosperous, financially, and on January 3d, 1865, another investment was made by vote of $500. in Massachusetts State scrip.
At this meeting a Communication was received from George Washington Lodge at Chambersburg, Penn., asking relief for the destitute and suffering brethren of that place.
September 6th.— Voted to grant permission to N. A. Apollonio and fourteen others to form Adelphi Lodge; and on November 7th following, it was voted to charge this new lodge and St. Omer Encampment (Commandery) $2.00 per night while U. D.
On February 6th, 1866.— The fee for degrees was increased to $50.00; decided action was taken for co-operating with other Masonic Bodies in South Boston to procure new apartments, a "Board of Directors of Masonic Apartments" was established, and the Master, Senior and Junior Wardens were elected on the part of the Lodge to represent it in said Board. It was also voted to notify Mr. Jenkins that the Lodge would vacate his Hall on April 30th next, and the Secretary was authorized to settle with him. The first three officers were also authorized to sell all the old furniture to the best advantage. The Committees already appointed had secured new apartments in the Upper Lyceum Hall, in a structure that stood where the new Bank building now stands, and where all the Masonic Bodies are amply accommodated in spacious and elegant apartments.
May 1st, 1866.— Voted to get a Quartette to sing at the Lodge meetings at a reasonable expense.
May 24th.— It was notified in the Lodge that the new apartments would be dedicated on the 30th, and in consequence of the large numbers expected, 75 tickets have been assigned to the Lodge, and in order that no favoritism should be shown, it was decided to draw lots for the distribution of them.
September 4th.— Batons and Stands for the S. and J. Wardens, and Rods for the Deacons and Stewards were presented by two of the brethren.
On October 2d.— Seventeen members dimitted to form a new Lodge.
November 13th, 1866.— The Lodge had its first formal trial of a Brother, when the question was taken, 118 voted "guilty" and one "not guilty." 59 brethren were excused for absence and 25 were summoned to show cause of absence. The brother convicted was expelled from Freemasonry.
This year closed pleasantly, a vote of thanks was received from Adelphi Lodge for the many courtesies extended by St. Paul's ; which on the evening of December 4th, granted consent to Richard M. Barker and others to form a Lodge; this vote was re-affirmed Jan. 3d, 1869, to Rabboni Lodge, making the fourth Lodge in South Boston, three of them being offshoots of St. Paul's, which is preeminently the Mother of Lodges.
January 1st, 1867.— The sum of $100. was voted to sustain Sodality meetings.
The 24th of June in this year became memorable in Massachusetts Masonry by the dedication of the New Temple; no such masonic procession has been seen before or since; St. Paul's, Gate of the Temple and Adelphi Lodges were escorted to Boston Common by St. Omer Encampment, and at the close of the day the Lodges dined at Lyceum Hall.
December 3d, 1867.— The Lodge authorized a public Installation of its officers, and paid the expense of $189.50.
On April 7th, 1868.— A Committee was appointed to act with Committees from the other Bodies, on new apartments, -— Lyceum Hall was likely to give place to a new structure, and the season of rebuilding was provided for.
On October 7th.— Funeral Services of a deceased Brother were attended at Hawes Place Church, and the Masonic Service was performed at Mt. Hope Cemetery.
November 3.— It was voted to appropriate $100. for Sodality meetings. 8 dozen white gloves were purchased, 125 strips of crape, and 24 books of Burial Service. About this time, the Lodge voted to rescind a vote electing a Candidate to receive the degrees, three months previously.
February 29th, 1869. — Voted to post the names of impostors, reported by Grand Lodge, in the ante-room. In March the Lodge received an extra official visit from the D. D. G. M. who proceeded to address the brethren upon the financial affairs of the Grand Lodge.
April 6th, 1869.— Voted to relinquish jurisdiction to Howard Lodge, No. 69, of Mobile, Ala., over a candidate elected in St. Paul's, but now a resident of that city.
May 3d, 1870. — South Boston Lodge of Instruction was formed by action of all the Lodges in that part of the city, and St. Paul's voted to pay $1.00 for each of its members admitted, in addition to its proportion of the expense of sustaining the School.
During its existence the following named brethren have occupied the Master's chair. Rev. E. M. P. Wells, U. D., Jacob Page, Charles II. White, Thomas Hill, Jr., Rev. Stephen Lovell, Thomas Hill, Jr., Edward H. Brainard, Nicholas A. Apollonio, Charles H. White, David Armstrong, Parker C. Burbank, Alfred Smith, Frederick G. Walbridge, W. H. H. Soule, Geo. S. Worcester, Hollis R. Gray, James L. Wilson, and Charles T. Gallagher, the present incumbent.
The shortest period that any one of these served was one year, and the longest nine, and Brothers White and Hill have each served two separate terms. The Lodge has been skilful in its work, and though not always equally so, it has nevertheless maintained a high standard, and is justly proud of its present as well as past excellence.
The third, and present book of Records of St. Paul's Lodgel commences with the regular communication held Jannary 3d, 1871.
At this meeting the Lodge voted to instruct its representatives to vote for a proposed amendment to the Grand Constitution, to the effect, that Lodges "shall admit to membership all Master Masons on whom they shall confer the degrees, without further proposition or ballot at the time of raising, upon their signing the By-Laws; and it shall be the duty of Masters of Lodges to request Master Masons to sign the By-Laws at the time of raising."
This proposed amendment was not in accordance with the custom in Massachusetts, and the subsequent action of Grand Lodge materially changed its spirit and purposes.
On March 7th, 1871, a committee was appointed to make arrangements to occupy Odd Fellow's Hall, and to hold the next regular communication there ; full powers were also given the committee to act with the other Masonic bodies in South Boston to secure permanent apartments, and on March 5th, 1872 the first three officers were authorized to form with committees from the other bodies to fit and furnish apartments and to draw on the Treasurer for the due proportion of expense.
Perhaps the most interesting event in the history of the Lodge was the celebration of its 25th anniversary, on March 29th, 1872.
This event opened with a banquet at the American House at six o'clock, P. M., and was participated in by three hundred persons, including the members and their ladies. At the conclusion of this, the party was conveyed by special coaches to the Masonic Temple in Boston, where the Lodge held a brief session at nine o'clock, and where a previously prepared programme was fully carried out. This included Music, Addresses, Prayer, Reading of Charter, Reminiscences, etc. The reporters of that day said "the hall was beautifully dressed with flowers, and when the company had gathered, the ladies in party dress and the members of the order in their regalia, the scene was most brilliant."
The records say, "At the conclusion of the order of exercises the brethren and ladies repaired to the Upper Hall where dancing commenced and continued till three o'clock, A. M., on the 30th."
On April 5th, 1872, the Lodge heard a report of committee, and adopted a plan to co-operate with Gate of the Temple, Adelphi, and Raboni Lodges, St. Matthew's Chapter and St. Omer Commandery, whereby each should elect a Trustee, and the Board should arrange with South Boston Savings Bank for apartments by lease for ten years from May 1st, 1872, on terms stated, in these apartments the Lodge held its first meeting on June 4th, 1872.
Having secured new quarters, the following vote will be interesting and historic: "That the thanks of this Lodge be presented to the Board of Directors of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts for their liberality in allowing the use of Masonic apartments tor the meetings of the Lodge for a period of thirteen months at a mere nominal rent."
The apartments referred to in the foregoing vote, were in the Masonic Temple in Boston, and the occupancy was in consequence of rebuilding by the Bank in South Boston.
Notwithstanding the expense incurred by the Lodge for new quarters and celebrations, it abated nothing of its charities. The Charity Committees were maintained, the sick were visited, and outside of private or individual gifts the Committee drew on the Lodge for $78.60 for 1872, for $66, $45, $137, $182, $49 and $64, respectively lor each succeeding year to and including 1878.
In consequence of the flourishing condition of the Lodge of Instruction, in whose aid the Lodge had been so liberal, it was voted on November 4th, 1873, to rescind the vote whereby the Lodge agreed to pay $1.00 for each of its members attending, such payment being no longer necessary.
On December 1st, 1874, the Lodge had 229 members; 226 of these responded to Grand Lodge questions fully, and the result was placed on the Lodge Record. By this it appears that the oldest member was 81, the youngest, 22; 3 of the members were born prior to 1800, 4 during the next 10 years, 30 during the next 10, 67 between 1820 to 1830, 54 between the latter and 1840, and 64 since that date.
Of these, 48 were born in Boston, and 100 in all in Massachusetts, 34 in Maine, 27 in New Hampshire, 17 in Vermont, 4 in Connecticut, 3 in New York, 2 each in Rhode Island, Maryland and Michigan, 1 each in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, 10 in England, 7 in Scotland, 5 in Ireland, one each in Germany and Wales, and 8 in the Provinces thus showing how Masonry unites men of every country.
The Communications of the 18th December, 1873, and of January 13th, 1875, were signalized by the presentation of portraits, in oil, of Josiah Dunham, and Charles H. White, respectively.
Brother Dunham was made a Mason September 15th, 1825, — prior to the Anti-Masonic excitement; he was from the first actively interested in St. Paul's Lodge, and was its Treasurer for about 28 years, and to his fidelity and ability the Lodge owed much of its financial success. In consequence of this, the Lodge chose to adorn its walls with a truthful and enduring portrait of its faithful financial officer. A few years later, April 17th, 1877, his death occurred, and the Lodge recognized their loss in suitable and expressive terms. ' Brother White was the first initiate of the Lodge, soon became Master of it, and served it more years in that office than any other brother; he has been a constant instructor, and to him more than to any other is due the proficiency in the ritual which characterizes the Lodge. The portrait was the gift of gratitude on the part of the Lodge, and now hangs beside that of Brother Dunham.
In regard to Past Master's Jewels, the Lodge has given one to each of its Past Masters, accompanied with an Apron.
The official visitations have been regularly made, the attendance on such occasions has been large, and profit as well as pleasure have resulted from them.
The records bear frequent evidenceof the harmony existing between St. Paul's and the other Lodges in South Boston, each of which seeks to prove "who best can work and best agree."
From the necessarily brief glance we can here give at the records, we have yet seen enough of them to assure us of their excellence and value in Masonry in Massachusetts, and to those who choose to read them, they will reveal the Masonic life of the Lodge, and much of that of its members. The many tokens ol love and regard which the Lodge has given to Past Masters and others, the many deeds of charity, and the memorials of deceased brethren — all set down in the records — cannot fail to bring a thrill of pleasure to the reader in consequence.
As shown on page 135, the Lodge has had 16 Masters in all. It has also had 5 Treasurers and 10 Secretaries. In the latter capacity Brother Horace Smith has served continuously since April 1856, and with that good judgment which should characterize a thoroughly efficient officer; for more than 23 years he has been the faithful historian of an equally faithful Lodge.
Brother Frederick G. Walbridge, a Past Master, has been elected to succeed the late Treasurer in that important office, and beyond a question he will bring to its duties all the zeal Land fidelity of his predecessor.
Including the meeting September 2d, 1879, the Lodge has held 551 Communications, and busy as has been its Masonic life, faithful as has been its work, and true as it has been to the principles of Masonry, there is before it a career of useful, creditable and honorable to itself and to the Craft; and in harmmony with the good reputation it has established.
CENTENARY HISTORY, APRIL 1946
From Proceedings, Page 1946-105:
The first fifty years written by Worshipful Arthur O. Odegard.
The last fifty years by Worshipful Frank E. Howard.
Saint Paul's Lodge had its inception at a very favorable time. The anti-Masonic period, 1826 to 1845, had come to a close. Fanaticism had spent its force and failed. During this twenty-year period, only two Lodges had been chartered in Massachusetts. Saint Paul's Lodge was the third to be chartered following this unfortunate situation.
The country as a whole, and South Boston in particular, was on the threshold of great industrial developments. Great inventions were soon to come, such as the sewing machine, the first steam railroads, the Gold Rush in California; these to be followed by typewriter, telephone and electric lights. South Boston in 1846 was commercially well established and its citizens were of the more substantial type.
Brother Charles Henry White is the one individual responsible for Saint Paul's Lodge. Receiving encouragement from several of his intimates, he approached the Reverend Eleazer M. P. Wells, the Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts and a prominent Episcopal minister. At his suggestion, a meeting was held in South Boston of those interested, at which a petition was signed by Brother Wells and eight others and presented to the Grand Lodge. In answer to this request, a dispensation was granted on March 10, 1846, and from the date of dispensation, the age of a Lodge is established.
At the first regular meeting under dispensation, the following officers were elected: Rev. Eleazer M. P. Wells, Worshipful Master, Lemuel M. Barker, Senior Warden and Jacob Page, Junior Warden.
Brother Charles White had previously suggested that the Lodge be named Saint Paul's, and this was incorporated in the dispensation.
The first Tuesday of the month was chosen for the regular meetings, and this date has been retained to this day.
Charles Henry White was the first candidate raised in the Lodge, and was for thirty-six years its outstanding character. As Master of the Lodge, he served longer than any Master in its history. For eighteen years he installed its officers. He was a leading figure in the various Masonic bodies and one of our four thirty-third degree Masons.
The early meetings of the Lodge were held in Brooks Hall, Broadway, between D and E Streets, where, under flickering oil lamps, our early candidates were received. Then for six years we met in Mt. Washington Hall at lower Broadway. Here our Charter was received.
With these growing organizations, it was found necessary in 1866 to again move and this time to Lyceum Hall, Broadway at E Street. This building was soon thereafter purchased by the South Boston Savings Bank and completely remodelled, becoming our present apartments. Here we have met continuously for seventy-four years.
We had now seen the end of the Civil War of 1861-65. Little is found in our records as to the War's effect on the Lodge. We do know that one member, Albert H. Heselton, was lost in action and it is recorded "that the dues of members in the Army and Navy be remitted."
In our recording of the several meeting places of the Lodge, mention should have been made of an ambitious effort to own a building of our own. Subscriptions were received and sufficient funds raised to purchase the old building of St. Matthew's Church on Broadway, but difficulties were encountered in disposing of the bodies of those buried under the Church, and the whole project was abandoned in 1866.
After some years' discussion, it was voted in 1893 that on receiving his degrees a candidate would become a member on signing the by-laws. Previously a candidate was admitted to membership only on a further application and acceptance by the Lodge. Early Masonic practice was only the conferring of degrees on candidates who often were never affiliated with a Lodge.
The year of 1900 became memorable because of the elevation to the high office of Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts of one of Saint Paul's most distinguished Past Masters — Charles T. Gallagher. During his life he remained a faithful and devoted member. His honors were many — as a thirty-third degree Mason; as a leader of the Massachusetts Bar; Legislator and Trustee of the Benjamin Franklin Fund. His portrait has ever since adorned our lodge-room — its duplicate, by the same artist, hanging in the Grand Lodge.
From 1894 to 1904, a period of ten years, the Lodge had the misfortune to lose by death three of its presiding Masters — Wor. Benjamin O. Dana in 1894, Wor. Frederick D. Pierce in 1899 and Wor. Alden B. Johnson in 1904.
At the opening of the Masonic Home at Charlton, the Lodge showed its interest by substantial contributions and in the furnishing of a room.
In February 1916, the Lodge instituted an annual memorial service to George Washington, the Mason. These affairs attracted large gatherings of Masons and local residents and continued for ten or more years. On several occasions, regular Masonic processions were formed and marched from lodge-room to church — a demonstration rarely witnessed in these days. These meetings were addressed by several of our Grand Masters, Grand Chaplains and other notable members of the Craft.
The outbreak of World War I deeply affected the life of Saint Paul's. For a considerable period before the war the Lodge had drawn from the U. S. Navy for candidates, so from the beginning, its effect on its membership was evident.
During hostilities, the Lodge lost one member and one of its candidates. We now recall that the Lodge met on that memor- able day when the drawing was made of the first nation-wide draft. Our Service men returned to us, in several instances as highly decorated veterans.
In these days of financial drives, it is worthy of note that Saint Paul's Lodge during World War I contributed through its members the sum of $2081.00 for Masonic War relief.
The birth of Masonry was not forgotten, for June 24, 1917, by a general request of the Grand Lodge, Saint Paul's Lodge gathered at the Fourth Presbyterian Church in South Boston, where a suitable address was given by Rev. Ralph M. Davis.
Perhaps the only recorded omission of a regular meeting occurred during World War I when our October meeting was omitted by request of the authorities and of the Grand Lodge, on account of the terrible epidemic of influenza that caused the death of thousands.
During the years of 1919 to 1925, the Lodge reached its peak in membership. In 1925, we reached the total of 453 members. In number raised during single years, we find that in 1864 there were 43 candidates; in 1919, 36; and in 1921, 39. Most interesting to note is a statement of the Master in 1928, that out of a membership of 443, 145 were born on foreign soil, as follows:
- Albania 2
- Armenia 3
- Austria 1
- British 51
- Canada 48
- Finland 1
- Germany 2
- Greece 3
- Holland 1
- Lithuania 1
- Norway 4
- Russia 3
- So. Africa 1
- Sweden 23
- Syria 1
Another statement by Worshipful Arthur O. Odegard in 1939 is also of interest concerning the residential distribution of the membership. Out of a membership of 309, 45 lived in Dorchester; 26 in South Boston; 22 in Boston proper and the remainder in surrounding suburbs and distant localities.
On April 1, 1930, Worshipful Wm. P. Stone, one of our consistently faithful Past Masters, was presented his fifty year Veteran's Medal. In response, he presented the Lodge a copy of a Lodge notice issued by him in 1888 (42 years previous) and signed by Brother Frank S. Pierce as Secretary. Brother Pierce was then escorted to the East and received an ovation. In the midst of our present festivities and outward signs of prosperity we can look back with a sense of relief from the troubled years of a depression that made the whole world tremble and organized societies to fight for existence. Saint Paul's Lodge lost scores of its members, and in one year alone, 55 members asked to have their dues remitted. Since then, we have re-established our position and have whole-heartedly entered upon the real duties expected of a Masonic Lodge. If we succeed in the future, we must acknowledge much to the faithfulness, sacrifice and patience of those who appear to us now as outstanding examples of true Masons.
Many honors have come to our members, namely:
- Most Worshipful Charles T. Gallagher, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts
- Right Worshipful W. H. H. Soule, Junior Grand Warden
- Right Worshipful Frank T. Taylor, Junior Grand Warden
- Right Worshipful Peter A. Day, District Deputy Grand Master and present Senior Grand Warden
- Right Worshipful [http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MAGLJReid James L. Reid, Grand Pursuivant
- Right Worshipful Henry B. Chandler, District Deputy Grand Master
- Right Worshipful Walter F. Johnson, District Deputy Grand Master
Also honored are our living fifty-year members, all wearing the Grand Lodge Medal.
- Frank S. Pierce (56 years and Secretary 1887-1892)
- Frank W. Parsons
- Robert A. Neale
- William H. Rule
- Cyrus K. Small
- George W. Symes
- George W. Smith
We anticipate the pleasure of greeting most of these at this anniversary.
And what of other anniversaries? On March 29, 1872, the Lodge observed its Quarter Centennial by a banquet at the Old American House, when 223 attended. The event cost $1400.00, of which $813 was raised by subscription. After the dinner, they took carriages to the Masonic Temple on Tremont Street, near Park Street, then recently dedicated. There the general ceremonies took place.
The Fiftieth observance in 1897 was also a gala occasion. The event was celebrated in the Lodge apartments. Most Worshipful Charles C. Hutchinson, with the Grand Secretary, Right Worshipful Sereno D. Nickerson, were in attendance. Addresses were made by the Most Worshipful Grand Master and Right Worshipful W. H. H. Soule, as well as by the Grand Lodge representatives. A full record of this anniversary observance was published in book form and has become a part of our records.
A public installation of officers was held in September, 1929, the first in twenty-five years, and since that date, that custom has become established. During the first fifty years, public installations were frequently held, but gradually the practice was dropped. Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson visited the Lodge in September, 1933, and installed Worshipful Clayton M. Gould, the interesting feature being the fact that he was the first DeMolay boy to be made a Master of a Lodge in Massachusetts. In looking back through the years, we are thankful for the generous gifts that have been bestowed on us.
Our earliest donor was Brother George Smith, who left a bequest of $5,000 for the benefit of members' widows and orphans, and this fund is now known as the George Smith Fund, from which thousands of dollars through the years have been expended in worthy cases.
Our other outstanding gift was made by Brother Edward H. Delano, who left us about $9,000.
We must not forget a less spectacular gift, but one that has become a valued relic. We refer to our Bible that since it was presented to the Lodge by Brother George E. Tyler, a Charter Member, on March 3, 1846, has been in constant use for a century. World War II has not as yet become history, for we have members still to return. It is notable that fourteen per cent of our membership has served under the colors, there being 33 on our Honor Roll. In addition, there have been 38 of our sons in whom we have been proudly interested. It is with sorrow that we record that one has made the supreme sacrifice. In common with other Lodges, Saint Paul's has shown itself helpful to our transient service men and has sponsored a service men's Masonic Club for instruction and social purposes.
We are now assembled within these walls, hallowed by 74 years of Masonic usage, and as we think of the hundreds of Masons who have entered through these same doors, we pause in awe of the responsibility put upon us and our successors. We realize that all history is but the actions of the moment as they affect the future.
So may our lives and actions ever be acceptable in the sight of God and our successors in Saint Paul's Lodge.
125TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1971
From Proceedings, Page 1971-94:
By Worshipful Arthur O. Odegard.
A birthday is an important day in the life of any person. It is also an important day in the life of a Masonic Lodge. Saint Paul's Lodge has a birthday. It is a date that we should all remember. It is March 10, 1846. That is the day Saint Paul's Lodge received its dispensation and Grand Lodge has ruled that a Lodge is as old as its dispensation.
On April 2, 1946, at its 1465th communication, Saint Paul's Lodge celebrated its one hundredth birthday. (1946 Mass. 102-111) It is not the purpose of the writer to repeat or dwell upon the many steps taken by the Lodge to celebrate that great and important occasion. These facts are very completely recorded in a book published at the time. I am proud that I had the honor and privilege to be one of the two authors of that volume. With modesty and humiliation, I suggest that you read that book again, and try to absorb some of the enthusiasm, which was so rampant during that period of our history. Perhaps by so doing, you may be inspired to exert greater Masonic efforts today, when your cooperation is so sorely needed. Thomas Moore expressed this sentiment in a poem:
"When Time who steals our years away
Shall steal our pleasures too,
The mem'ry of the past will stay,
And all our joys renew."
Saint Paul's Lodge has now reached another milestone in its determined march through history. March 10, 1971 will be its one hundred and twenty-fifth birthday.
The history which follows will cover the past twenty-five years of the history of Saint Paul's Lodge, from March 10, 1946 to March 10, 1971. I must warn the reader that I have attempted to present the facts in their true light. I do hope, therefore, that you are prepared and willing to digest the bitter with the sweet, because there appears to be plenty of both.
Saint Paul's Lodge held its meetings at 372 West Broadway, South Boston, for 77 years, in a building owned by the South Boston Savings Bank. The first meeting held there was on June 7, 1872 and the last one on July S, 1949. This is the longest stay in any one building in the entire history of the Lodge. The 100th anniversary celebration was held there and the next meeting on April 4, 1946, was our 1466th communication.
For a rent of $800 per year, the Lodge had the use of the entire floors above the bank, which consisted of a Lodge room and conference room on the second floor, and a banquet hall on the third floor. The meetings were held on the first Tuesday of the month and many of us can still remember the laborious climb up that wide flight of stairs to the Lodge room above.
Wor. M. Clayton Gould, as Secretary, listed 236 members on the roster at the time of our 100th anniversary. During the next three and one quarter years at South Boston, the Lodge gained 36 members through degree work, reinstatement and affiliation, and lost 40 members by death, demit and suspension. In other words, for every nine members gained, about ten were lost.
Wor. Bro. Gould faithfully recorded the minutes of the Lodge until 1946 when he moved to another State. Wor. Alton Elmer Ferguson was then elected to that office and he carried out his duties and responsibilities admirably.
In April of 1949 the Lodge accepted six applications for the degrees and that record has never been exceeded or equalled during the past twenty-five years.
The Officers of the Lodge had a candidate to work on at nearly every Communication. As a matter of fact, at the beginning of this last twenty-five year period, they had five good candidates and two of them later became Masters of the Lodge. They were Melvin Francis Hill, Master in 1955 and Earl Hugh Wise, Master in 1967 and 1971. They took their first degree on April 4, 1946 just three days before our 100th birthday. Was Brother Wise then already chosen by fate to go down in history as being the Master of the Lodge at its 125th birthday? Certainly, at that time, he did not anticipate this outcome. A quarter of a century does not seem to represent a very long period of time. However, when we consider the fact that it might represent one-third of a man's lifetime, then that twenty-five year period takes on a much more important aspect. About one year after Brother Wise signed the By-Laws, he was appointed Inside Sentinel and advanced to become the appointed Junior Deacon in 19S0. Then he had to drop out of line because his work forced him to transfer to the State of Ohio, where he remained for the next twelve years. When he returned in 1962, he again became actively interested in serving St. Paul's Lodge, and was rewarded with an appointment to the position of Senior Deacon. From this position he advanced to become the Master in 1967. The following year, he was selected to be the Senior Deacon once again, and served the Lodge so well that he was advanced to be the Worshipful Master once again. Thus Brother Wise took his first degree twenty-five years ago when we were celebrating our 100th birthday, and now has the distinction of being the Worshipful Master at our one hundred and twenty-fifth birthday. An unusual and honorable record.
Early in 1948 it was rumored that the South Boston Savings Bank intended to sell their building and move to other quarters. These suspicions were later confirmed. It was also known that Algonquin Lodge was preparing to take over the Village Congregational Church on River Street, Dorchester, and transform it into a Masonic Building. As a matter of fact, all the Masonic Bodies in South Boston (St. Paul's, Gate of the Temple, St. Matthew's Royal Arch Chapter and Reliance Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star) were invited to become tenants of Algonquin Lodge in Dorchester. All these activities caused much discussion in Saint Paul's Lodge and many possible meeting places were considered pro and con. Finally, the Algonquin Lodge offer was deemed to be the best, and a five year lease was obtained, pending approval of the membership. A notified meeting was expressly established for the purpose of making the final decision. That day arrived on July S, 1949 on our IS 10th communication. Bro. William B. Ackerly made a motion that the Lodge accept the invitation of Algonquin Lodge and have the Secretary "notify the South Boston Board of Masonic Apartments that St. Paul's Lodge would vacate the premises on September 1, 1949." This motion was seconded and passed and so it came about that that meeting was the last meeting held in South Boston. Subsequently, the Bank sold their building to a Lithuanian organization and moved their banking facilities elsewhere. Thus, our Masonic activities were transferred from South Boston to the Algonquin quarters in Dorchester.
The 1511th communication of the Lodge was held at 43 River Street, Dorchester on September 6, 1949. The Lodge continued to meet at this location for the next decade paying a rent of #600 per year and holding its last meeting there on June 16, 1959, which was our 1613th communication.
Algonquin Lodge owned the building and permitted the Village Congregational Church to hold their Sunday services there. However, the building was principally devoted to Masonic functions. Algonquin, Zerubbabel and St. Paul's Lodges met there, as well as one Eastern Star Chapter and two Orders of Rainbow. St. Paul's Lodge continued to meet on the first Tuesday of the month, up to and including the June 4, 1957 regular communication, except for the January 1, 1952 meeting which fell on New Year's Day. In that case (the only such recorded in the past 25 years) Grand Lodge authorized the meeting to be held on Friday, January 4th. Starting in the Fall of 1957, the Lodge held its regular meetings on the third Tuesday of the month.
At the 19S1 November meeting, the Worshipful Master informed the Lodge that it had received #500 from the South Boston Board of Masonic Apartments as its share of the distribution of assets. Under Worshipful Minot F. Smith, the Master, $376 of that amount was used to purchase new aprons and collars for the Officers to replace the worn out regalia brought from South Boston.
Starting with a membership of 232 Brothers in Dorchester, the Lodge gained 64 members by degree work, reinstatement and affiliation, and lost 90 by death, demit and suspension during the ten-year period in Dorchester. In other words, for every five members gained, the Lodge lost seven. When we left Dorchester our roster showed 206 members.
The "all-devouring scythe of time" was taking its toll of Past Masters. While we were located in South Boston we had lost Wor. Edward Clinton Fowler, on March 4, 1948, but in Dorchester we lost seven Past Masters. They were: Worshipful Brothers Frank Emerton Howard on July 16, 1949; William Hiltz on May 3, 1951; Harold F. Wilkinson on May 7, 1951; Cyril Guy Hyland on August 4, 1953; Harold Alfred Batten on February 27, 1957; Abbott George Albee on December 2, 1958; Frederick Gilbert Hartwell on December 21, 1958. While located in Braintree, we lost five Past Masters.
Algonquin Lodge did an excellent job of renovating and redecorating the building. It might be expected that moving the Lodge to a new and attractive place would be invigorating, but Saint Paul's Lodge did not find the going exactly easy in Dorchester. Many times the Officers worked on candidates from other Lodges and too often attendance numbered more visitors than members. However, thanks to a nucleus of dedicated Members, Officers and Past Masters, the Lodge continued to function effectively.
Fortunately, the Lodge acquired some very good Line Material from the candidates for the degrees and from the candidates for affiliation. For example, 54 candidates were raised in Dorchester and 13 of them, or one out of every four, held an office in the Lodge at one time or another. Many of them had to drop out of line for several good reasons, but six of the 13 continued in office to later become Past Masters of the Lodge. I refer to Gerald Neil Coats, Berger Adolf Sjostrom, Edward Eric Sjostrom, Malcolm Murdock Kent, Ian Warren Thompson and John Patterson Bruce. These six individuals began serving the Lodge very soon after signing the By-Laws and their services were sorely needed. When the Lodge moved to Braintree, these six Officers became Masters of the Lodge, consecutively from 1960 to 1965.
The Lodge had only three applications for affiliation in Dorchester, but all three aspired to be Masters of the Lodge while there. They were Frank Ellsworth Nelson, Frank Loren Mason and William Abner Anderson, Sr. Frank E. Nelson had been raised in Rural Lodge, Quincy, and became an affiliate of St. Paul's Lodge in December, 1951. The very next month he began serving the Lodge as an Officer pro-tem and became the Master in 1956 and 1957. Frank L. Mason had been raised in Wollaston Lodge and became an affiliate of St. Paul's Lodge in May, 1952. The very next month he served as Junior Steward pro-tem and continued pro-tem service until September, 1952, when he was appointed Senior Steward. He advanced to be the Master in the year 1958. William A. Anderson had been raised in Rural Lodge, Quincy, and became an affiliate of St. Paul's Lodge in September, 1952. That very same evening he was appointed Inside Sentinel. He also advanced to be the Master in 1959. And so it came to pass that these three affiliates were all in official positions in Dorchester during the years 1952 to 1959. Thanks to the efforts of these three affiliates and the six Officers mentioned above, together with loyal Past Masters and Members, our stay in Dorchester was active and pleasant.
Some of the members thought the Lodge should move to a more fertile location. The first official indication that moving was being considered came in February of 1958 when "the Worshipful Master expressed his feeling that Saint Paul's Lodge should move to some other location1' and to this end a committee was appointed to report on the proposition. Much discussion took place at the meetings which followed. Locating in Boston, Quincy and Braintree were being considered. The committee reported in April, 19S9 and recommended the Braintree location. In May, Wor. Bro. Ackerly made a motion, which was seconded and approved, to the effect that the Secretary was to prepare and present a petition to Grand Lodge, amending our charter to read "The Town of Braintree" instead of "The City of Boston", said petition to become effective on September 1, 1959. When Grand Lodge approved this petition, together with several By-Law amendments, the road was cleared for moving, because the Lodge had previously so decided "if and when Grand Lodge approved the amendment." June 16, 19S9, our 1613th communication, became the last meeting in Dorchester. "So Mote It Be."
The first meeting of Saint Paul's Lodge at this location was an annual meeting held on September 24, 1959. This was our 1614th communication. The Masonic Apartments are located at 360 Washington Street, Braintree. The Lodge has met here ever since, and if we measure our length of stay up to our 1730th numbered communication on March 11, 1971, it can be said that the Lodge has met here almost 12 years.
The Braintree Apartments are owned by The Braintree Masonic Temple Association, and they now have as tenants, Delta Lodge, Saint Paul's Lodge, one Eastern Star Chapter, two Assemblies, Order of the Rainbow and one Chapter of the Order of DeMolay.
Saint Paul's Lodge agreed with The Braintree Masonic Temple Association on an annual rental of $3.50 per member. At the time of the Lodge moving to the Braintree Temple, its Membership was exactly 200 and the annual rental was $700. Since that time the membership has decreased to 167; however the Lodge still pays the annual rental of $700. The quarters arc adequate to meet the needs of the Brethren.
Regular monthly meetings are held on the second Thursday of the month, with the annual meeting held on the fourth Thursday of September. Good attendance has never been one of the strong points of our members. In fact, it has averaged only about 15% of the total membership at meetings during the past twenty-five years. This is one of the factors which affects the availability of securing candidates for Line Officers. For example, recently the Lodge had one year with five vacancies in the Line. In fact, in seven out of the past nine years the Lodge was without an Inside Sentinel or a Junior Steward. The Past Masters again came to our rescue, and last year filled just about every station.
During the past years in Braintree, the Lodge has gained 35 members by degree work and affiliation and has lost 74 members by death, demit and suspension. In other words, for every nine members gained the Lodge lost 19. These figures are not too pleasant to contemplate when they are compared with the 25 year average, which is, for every two gained, the Lodge lost three. These statistics can be analyzed by breaking them into their several components. The category of "loss" is made up of deaths, demits and suspensions. Deaths have been averaging about six per cent over the past 25 years. The rate in South Boston was ten; Dorchester, seven; and Braintree, four per year. The rate of loss due to demits and suspensions has been about the same at all three locations, or about equal to the 25 year average rate. The category of "gain" is made up of degree work, reinstatements and affiliations. The rate of gain by way of reinstatements and affiliations has remained about the same at all three locations and about equals the 25 year average. The rate of gain due to degree work is nine per year for South Boston; five per year for Dorchester; and two per year for Braintree with the 25 year average at four per year. A declining rate of acquiring new candidates is not a healthy condition because it affects the Lodge in so many adverse ways. At one time the Lodge had 14 consecutive meetings without its own candidate to work on.
During the past 25 years, Saint Paul's Lodge has held 265 numbered communications, and at 92 of them (or about one-third of the time,) the Lodge did not have its own candidate to work on. If we review each meeting place from this point of view, we obtain the same picture as above in a little different light as follows: South Boston, 45 meetings, three without, 7% of the time; Dorchester, 103 meetings, 26 without, 25% of the time; Braintree, 117 meetings, 63 without, 53% of the time.
Most of us have been aware that St. Paul's membership was declining. However, the foregoing statistics may be surprising from the point of view of rate decline. In reality, our membership has declined from 236 in South Boston 25 years ago to 167 now in Braintree. This decrease should not be laid at the Braintree, Dorchester or South Boston doorsteps, but rather attributed to a sign of the times. All Masonic Lodges are suffering from this affliction. In 1969 Grand Lodge announced that Massachusetts had lost 2000 members during that year. Let us hope that the next 25 years will reverse this trend and see candidates knocking at our doors as they see all of us returning to Lodge to absorb the great moral teachings of Masonry.
Thomas Carlyle, the Scotsman author, called benevolences "The Minister of God." He spoke the truth. Saint Paul's Lodge has been blessed with sufficient funds for benevolent purposes. The interest from these funds has proven adequate to meet all demands. Although Masonry has never been obligated to furnish financial aid in any specific degree to its members, St. Paul's Lodge has always considered their needs as being obligatory. It is assuring to know that our Lodge has always maintained a sound financial condition.
In 1946 the Lodge had five different funds, not including the General Fund and these funds totalled a little more than $21,000. These funds were deposited in several banks and although there were withdrawals as needed, these funds grew by way of interest accumulation to become $22,400 in 1955.
During the year 1956 when Rt. Wor. Frank E. Nelson was the Master, he called a meeting of the Trustees of these Funds to determine if the Funds could be reinvested in order to realize a greater return. The meeting was arranged by Wor. Ashton Hardy who invited the Worshipful Master, Treasurer and the Trustees to his home in Milton where he had present Mr. Raymond Palmer of the Boston Firm of Palmer & Pollacchi and as it turned out a long time friend of the Worshipful Master. Mr. Palmer made certain recommendations which were ultimately adopted. Then a portion of certain of the Funds were reinvested in Bonds and Mutual Funds. The wisdom of this action becomes very evident when we consider the fact that the aforesaid five Funds, despite the usual withdrawals, grew in the following years to $33,000 in 1970. Credit for this wise investment policy may be directly attributed to the action of Brother Nelson in calling for this meeting and the good judgment and foresight of the Trustees of the Funds. During the last period of IS years, two of the Funds have been combined and three new ones added so that now the Lodge can boast of having a total of seven different Funds which amount to more than $41,200.
I think that all members of Saint Paul's Lodge should know about these Funds and what they stand for, but especially how they originated. Perhaps, after reading this information, there may be members who will become inspired to dedicate Funds in their wills to the Lodge, thus emulating their predecessors.
PERMANENT AND LIFE MEMBERSHIP FUNDS
Once upon a time, long ago, the Lodge had only one fund, called the Permanent Fund. It consisted of monies received from the purchase of life memberships, together with donations and bequests. The income from this fund was used for the Lodge, but the principal could be touched only by a two-thirds vote of the membership at a regular notified meeting.
Later this fund was separated into two funds, one called the "Life Membership Fund" and the other called the "Permanent Fund." The Life Membership was acquired exclusively through funds received from the purchase of life memberships. Its principal could never be expended. However, the principal of the Permanent Fund could be used upon a two-thirds vote of the membership. In both cases, the income from both funds could be used by the Lodge. These funds have remained intact, except for a withdrawal of $1000, spread over a four year period, starting with the year 1955. These withdrawals were added to the General Fund, referred to later.
Such was the situation for many years, until 1956 when the two funds were again combined for investment purposes and for simplicity. Both funds were called "Permanent Funds." The guardians of these funds are called "Trustees of the Permanent Funds," and their annual report combines the two funds into one single report.
Today these funds are, except for a small bank balance, invested in "The Income Series," one of seven series of Mutual Funds under the operation of its principal underwriter, "The National Securities and Research Corporation of New York." The Lodge now holds 1023 shares of this mutual and the total worth now stands at about $4800.
THE RELIEF FUND
This fund goes back to December 11, 1923 at which time Grand Lodge approved our By-Laws including the establishment of a Relief Fund "for the relief and benefit of the members of Saint Paul's Lodge and their families, and for the families of deceased members." Only the income from this fund is to be used. The sum of five dollars from each initiation and membership fee is added to this fund, together with donations and bequests not specifically designated. This fund has always been on deposit at the South Boston Savings Bank and is now worth about $6800. Over the years, the use of this income has brought comfort to many.
THE GENERAL FUND
The Treasurer of the Lodge receives monies from the Secretary and the Trustees of the funds. He disburses money for the operation of the Lodge, after the approval of the Committee on Finance, made up of the Master and Wardens. Once a year his records are audited, after which he submits his annual report of the income and expenses. This report generally concludes with "a cash balance in the hands of the Treasurer. In 19S7, this so-called cash balance was given the more dignified title of "The General Fund." Most of the time the Lodge has had a small balance in this fund, although it seldom exceeded $300.
THE GEORGE SMITH FUND
At the time Brother George Smith died in 1886, the Lodge received its first bequest. His will specified that $5000 was to go to the Lodge, the income from which was to be used for the relief of widows and orphans of deceased members of Saint Paul's Lodge. The fund has always been used for this purpose. The money was deposited in the South Boston Savings Bank where it remained until 1956. At that time, some of the fund was used to purchase shares in a Mutual Fund called "The Financial Industrial Income Fund, Inc.", with its principal office in Denver, Colorado. In this repository, the shares grew at a much greater rate, as indicated heretofore. The George Smith Fund now is, by far, the largest fund of the Lodge and has a net worth of about $15,300 consisting of 3341.15 shares of this Mutual Fund plus a balance still in the South Boston Savings Bank.
A very fine and complete review about Brother Smith has been recorded in the book which covers the first one hundred years of our existence.
THE EDWARD H. DELANO FUND
Edward Harlow Delano was born in 1869 in Charlestown, Massachusetts, where he received his early education. He became a resident of Dorchester and when he applied for the degrees in Saint Paul's Lodge in 1894, he was recorded as being a draughtsman. He was admitted to membership in 1895 and later moved to Lewiston, Maine, where he became identified with the water power interests of that State. He passed away in 1933, just one day after his 64th birthday. Upon his death, the Lodge found that it was named a beneficiary in his will. The Lodge received a $1000 U. S. Bond, bank deposits in the First National Bank of Lewiston and the Androscoggin Savings Bank of Maine and the Charlestown Savings Bank. The Lodge adds the income from this fund to its General Fund. In 1956 some of the principal was used to purchase shares in a Mutual Fund called "The Incorporated Income Fund," which was changed in name in 1966 to "The Putnam Income Fund, Inc." The Edward H. Delano Fund is the second largest fund the Lodge has today. Its net value is about $6360, consisting of a U. S. Government Bond, a deposit in the Charlestown Savings Bank and 549.194 shares of Putnam Mutual Fund.
THE WILLIAM H. F. BRIDGHAM FUND
His many friends called him "Brother Bill," and probably some of them did not know that his full name was William Henry Freeston Bridgham. Brother Bill was born in Norwood in 1901, but lived a long time in Dorchester. He became a member of Saint Paul's Lodge in 1923 and like his brother Leverett, soon became devoted to the interests of the Lodge. Most Masons remember Bill as our Lodge Tyler, a position he filled with dignity and grace for about 11 years, 1944 to 1954. Those of us who knew him best, remember him as a faithful servant, with an undying love for Masonry in general and St. Paul's Lodge in particular. This quality was demonstrated when he refused to allow his failing health to interfere with his Masonic duty. For example, at the April 1949 meeting he was reported absent because of sickness. However, this did not deter him from attending Lodge the following month to celebrate his 26th Masonic birthday. Because he was so highly regarded in the Fourth Masonic District, the Lodge of Instruction set aside a special night to honor him, called "Bill Bridgham Night," and Bill attended that meeting also. In fact, he continued serving St. Paul's Lodge as Tyler during the following two years, despite his ailment.
In December of 1951, it was reported that Bill had suffered another shock. Even this catastrophe did not keep him away permanently from the Lodge he loved so much. He attended the April meeting in 1952 to receive honorary membership in Saint Paul's Lodge, and this act was greeted with "enthusiasm and applause" by the members present. He also attended the May meeting to celebrate his 29th Masonic birthday at which time he received a "beautiful engraved and illuminated framed testimonial in recognition of his faithful and worthwhile service to Saint Paul's Lodge." He still continued to serve as Tyler during the years which followed.
In December of 1954 Bill resigned his position as Tyler "because of Doctor's orders." In May of 1956 he was presented a gallon donor pin for his contributions to the Masonic Blood Bank. On September 16th he attended two Masonic funerals in the same evening, one in Milton and the other in Roslindale. However, poor health was taking its toll. At the October 1956 meeting, Brother Bill arose, frail and weak, to announce that this would have to be his last meeting at Saint Paul's Lodge, due to bad health and having to take up his residence in another state.
What a wonderful example he set for us to follow. Ad Finem Esto Fidelis, a Latin expression meaning "Be faithful to the end." He loved his Lodge and poured out his soul unto death for it. He died on January 3, 1957 in Collingwood, New Jersey, at the tender age of 55. The Lodge announced its great loss with a poem which read as follows:
"We mourn when we are called to part
With men most manly, tried and true;
But look with trust to the Lodge above,
Where ties of earth we shall renew.
The William H. F. Bridgham Fund really started on May 7, 1957 when Bill's wife, Marielie L., sent the Lodge #34 in remembrance of her husband's 34th Masonic birthday, which he would have been celebrating had he lived. She stated that the Lodge could do with it as the Master saw fit. She has continued this act of charity every year since, by sending the Lodge in May, the amount of one dollar for every year of Bill's Masonic affiliation. And so it came to pass, as these donations accumulated, that the Treasurer, Rt. Wor. James L. Reid, recommended in 1963 that a fund be set up in the South Boston Savings Bank, called the "William H. F. Bridgham Fund." Certain Past Masters communicated with Mrs. Bridgham and also remembered the wishes of Brother Bill, so now the income from this fund is being used to purchase Bibles for new candidates, and also to pay the dues for worthy delinquent members who might otherwise be suspended. This fund has increased during the past years to become $606.
THE GEORGE L. WHITEHOUSE FUND
George Lincoln Whitehouse was born in 1867 and was admitted to membership in Saint Paul's Lodge in 1899. He was recorded as being an accountant and a resident of South Boston. In 1901 he was appointed Inside Sentinel and he advanced to become the Worshipful Master in 1912, during a period of our history when Officers served two years in each position. He died on July 11, 1928, a little over 60 years old.
In 1959, about 31 years after his death, it was announced by Wor. Gerald Neil Coats, Master of the Lodge, that Saint Paul's Lodge had received the "residual legacy" stipulated in the will of George Whitehouse. The Old Colony Trust Company of Boston was the executor of the will and they informed us that the legacy amounted to $5000. Because the will stipulated that the income from this legacy was to be used for relief purposes, the #5000 was added to our Relief Fund, where it remained until 1963. At that time Rt. Wor. James L. Reid said at the annual meeting, "It does not seem fair and just that the generosity of Wor. Bro. Whitehouse, whom I knew very well, should be set aside so lightly. I, therefore, recommend that $5000 be transferred from the relief fund and a new account be set up as 'The George L. Whitehouse Fund,' giving recognition for his generosity." Brother Reid's recommendation was adopted. This fund is now on deposit at the South Boston Savings Bank and has grown to be about $5900.
In 1951 the Lodge received $500 from the South Boston Board of Masonic Apartments, $376 of which was used to purchase new regalia, as has been previously explained. The balance was deposited in the Charlestown Savings Bank and called "The South Boston Masonic Apartment Fund." In 1956, when this fund had grown to be $140, the Lodge voted to designate it as "The 125th Anniversary Fund," and to add #50 each year to this fund in anticipation of our coming 125th anniversary celebration. This fund now amounts to $1200.
Our future-minded Brothers have now voted another fund into existence, which will operate about the same as previously mentioned fund. It has been called the "150th Anniversary Fund." I hope your historian will be present to celebrate that great event.
THROUGH THE YEARS
While reading through all the records of the Lodge meetings of the past twenty-five years and other pertinent material, your Historian found many interesting happenings and has selected a few for this chapter. For example, the front page of Saint Paul's Lodge notice has had few changes during the 125 years of its history. It remained the same for the first 54 years or so, but was changed around 1899 to the cover design which is used today. However, in 1954, after the loss of our Treasurer, Brother Wilkinson, who had handled our notices when he was Vice President of Ward's Stationery Store in Boston, it was thought a good idea by Jim Reid, the Master, to make a change. This change stood for about 4 years and then the Lodge returned to the 1899 plate, which is still in use today. Thus it can be said that during our 125 years, the Lodge notice has had only three different front page designs, one lasting 54 years, one about 4 years and the one we send out today has been in use for about 67 years so far.
May 6, 1947. Bro. Ernest L. Harris presented a Past Master's Apron to Wor. George Herbert Roberts the only time in St. Paul's Lodge that a Master received such a gift from one of his candidates.
June 3, 1947. Watertown Assembly #48, Order of the Rainbow, exemplified their work under the direction of Worthy Advisor Miss Dorothy Roberts, daughter of Wor. George Roberts, the Master. Later, on March 17, 1959, Wor. Frank E. Nelson had a similar experience when Wessagussett Assembly #82 exemplified the Rainbow Degree under the direction of Worthy Advisor, Miss Carol Lee Nelson, Wor. Bro. Nelson's daughter.
September 7, 1948. Although many Brothers have received their 50-year Veterans' Medals within the past 25 years, the first such presentation during this era was made by Wor. Marcus Dirks, the Master, to Brother Arthur H. Hastings.
December 7, 1948. Wor. Robert A. Johnson, Sr., presented a Treasurer's Jewel to Wor. Harold F. Wilkinson and told him that the Lodge was so pleased with his services that he felt sure that Harold could have that position as long as he desired it. Harold did continue as our Treasurer until 1950, when he declined the nomination at our annual meeting after serving the Lodge in that capacity for 26 continuous years. This goes down in the records as being the longest continuous service in any one office in the history of the Lodge. He died on May 7, 1951 after being a member of the Lodge for 43 years.
February 1, 1949. Three sets of Fathers and Sons were present, namely: Wor. Robert A. Johnson and son; Bro. Louis Winchell and son; Bro. Richard Nagle and son.
A like incident occurred on March 11, 1965. Present were Wor. Thomas M. MacDougall and son, Robert Ainslie; Wor. William A. Anderson and son, William Abner, Jr.; and Bro. Harold M. Lord and son, Harold E.
June 7, 1949. Due to a change in the By-Laws, the positions of Junior and Senior Deacons now became elective instead of appointive positions.
June 6, 1950. Wor. William Hiltz, then our oldest living Past Master, was honored on his 89th birthday with a birthday cake and best wishes. He was born on May 15, 1861, raised in 1910, Master in 1919, and died on May 3, 1951, almost 90 years old.
January 2, 1951. Announcement was made that Wor. Fredrik W. Clausen had been appointed District Deputy Grand Master for the Fourth Masonic District, another honor to a dedicated Past Master. Fred selected Wor. Ashton Hardy to be the District Deputy Grand Marshal. Ashton has filled an office in Saint Paul's Lodge 17 years out of the past 25 years and has the distinction to be the only Officer during our 100th anniversary to fill an Office at our 125th anniversary. A good example of a dedicated and dependable servant of Masonry.
March 3, 1953. When Perley E. Lord was Master, a "Wardens Night" was held under the direction of Wor. James L. Reid, then our Senior Warden. The First Degree was exemplified by Wardens from 13 different Lodges. A similar meeting called "Junior Wardens Night" was held on April 5, 1955 under the direction of Bro. Frank L. Mason, then our Junior Warden. The second degree was exemplified then and Junior Wardens from 12 different Lodges took part.
May 5, 1953. An innovation was added to our regular Past Masters Night by having each Past Master represent the Officer in that same position 100 years ago. Your Historian was in charge of the meeting and was pleased to be able to uncover personal facts about each Officer of 100 years ago, his work, his ambitions, etc. At the meeting, the members were asked to pretend that they were attending Lodge in 1853 and each Past Master arose and gave a resume of the person he represented.
December 1, 1953. This Fraternal Visitation became a memorable one because the Master, Wor. James Reid, complemented it with a "Rededication Night." Bro. Jim prepared this program by adapting a similar program used by the New York Grand Lodge. It was so successful that the idea was used again on May 9, 1968. Perhaps the Lodge could make good use of such a program periodically.
April 6, 1954. Rhodes Lodge #44 from Cranston, Rhode Island, paid Saint Paul's Lodge a Fraternal visit. About 33 Rhode Island Masons, including Most Worshipful Brother Claflin, their Grand Master, came to our Lodge and exemplified the First Degree in Rhode Island ritual. Saint Paul's Lodge returned the visit two months later. These meetings met popular approval, so similar exchanges were made in the Spring of 1955 and 1956. Saint Paul's Lodge has also visited Morrison Lodge #90 in Northwood, New Hampshire.
June 1, 1954. Most Worshipful Samuel Wragg, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, was present to receive honorary membership in Saint Paul's Lodge. This was the result of a motion to honor our Grand Master made in April by Wor. Ashton Hardy and an acceptance vote by the membership in May.
February 1, 1955. Wor. Melvin F. Hill, the Master, greeted 19 members of Rural Lodge, Quincy, plus many Grand Lodge representatives, who came to show their high regard for our Senior Warden, Frank E. Nelson, who had been raised in Rural Lodge.
September 15, 1955. A noteworthy Public Installation was held when Most Worshipful Whitfield W. Johnson, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, plus nine Grand Lodge Officers, plus Representatives from the Scottish Rite and Grand Commandery, came to witness the installation of the Assistant Grand Treasurer to the office of Presiding Master of Saint Paul's Lodge for the second time. Wor. Frank Nelson was qualified by the Grand Master and installed by Rt. Wor. Fred Clausen, assisted by Rt. Wor. Peter A. Day as Chaplain and Wor. Henry M. MacLeod as Marshal. Over 200 people were present.
December 4, 1956. The oldest living member of the Lodge, Bro. Charles Metzler, who was then 90 years old, together with the youngest member of the Lodge, Bro. Harry R. Parker, Jr., then 22 years old, were recognized in the East and given a good welcome.
October 18, 1958. Because of the large attendance expected, Saint Paul's Lodge received special dispensation from Grand Lodge to hold this Special Communication at Quincy, in order to receive a fraternal visit by a degree team from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Wor. William A. Anderson, our Master at the time, has the distinction of presiding over a meeting with an attendance which established an all-time record for Saint Paul's Lodge. At the Quincy Masonic Temple, 675 Masons sat down to dinner and the 1400 overflow had to be fed at the Quincy High School and the Quincy Y.M.C.A. A total of 1974 tickets were sold at $3.75 each, and at our 1959 annual meeting the financial report for this great event showed a balance of 41 cents.
October 14, 1965. In order to have the Officers and members become more familiar with the rules and regulations governing the operation of a Lodge, Wor. William A. Wood, the Master, had an Officer read a section from the Grand Constitution. The practice of doing this occasionally has now become a custom.
March 14, 1968. Your Historian was asked to make Wor. Henry M. MacLeod's fiftieth Masonic birthday a memorable occasion. The meeting was called, "This is your life, Henry M. MacLeod." In order to familiarize the many members and guests present with Henry's extensive Masonic career, the writer prepared a complete record of his life and distributed copies of it to the gathering. As the 16 Past Masters sat around the altar in a semi-circle, Henry sat by the altar and heard his life story read by Rt. Wor. Frank E. Nelson. During the evening, the representatives from the different Bodies, in which Henry had been active, arose and paid him many deserving compliments. Bro. Henry repeated the obligation for all three degrees flawlessly, and Bro. Keith C. Hatfield rendered a musical selection between each one. There is certainly no doubt in anyone's mind that Henry's reputation as a perfect ritualist is well-deserved.
June 13, 1968. At this Fraternal Visitation, Wor. George H. Roberts received his 50-Year Veteran's Medal. Your Historian was pleased to introduce several innovations to help make this a notable event. George had saved his July 2, 1918 Communication which listed him as a candidate for the third degree, so it was possible to enclose photostatic copies of it with the regular notice. Since Bro. Roberts was the first editor of Saint Paul's News (1930), he agreed to edit the issue sent out at the time of his 50th Masonic birthday. At the meeting, each officer assumed the identity of the Officer in that position 50 years before, and read a prepared description of the person represented.
November 13, 1969. Wor. Paul Edward Boyle invited the Kilwinning Club of Boston to raise a Scotsman. The candidate, Ronald William McLachlan, was born and reared in Stirling, Scotland, and emigrated to the United States three years previously. The degree work was presented with pomp and ceremony and was complemented by the playing of drums and bagpipes, much to the delight of the many members and guests present.
June 11, 1970. Because of his intense interest and dedicated work in Saint Paul's Lodge for the past 50 years, R. W. James Lawrie Reid was honored at this meeting by a "This is Your Life — R. W. James Lawrie Reid" program, similar to the one tendered to Wor. Henry MacLeod in March of 1968. With about 22 Past Masters of Saint Paul's Lodge in attendance, R. W. Bro. Jim was escorted to the altar where a prayer was given and the Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, M. W. Herbert H. Jaynes, presented him with a 50-Year Veteran's Medal and Lapel Pin. After the presentation, R.W. Frank E. Nelson read a resume of Jim's history which was very well received. R.W. Bro. Jim was astounded and humble as he stood and listened to the program unfold and responded by thanking all concerned, especially Saint Paul's Lodge for all of the wonderful years of enjoyment it afforded to him. Our R. W. Brother is one of a very few Masons in our Grand Jurisdiction who enjoys the privilege of having received all of the Medals that our Grand Lodge presents: The Joseph Warren Medal for Distinguished Service to his Lodge; The Henry Price Medal, the highest award to be presented by the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts; and the 50-Year Veteran's Medal. He also holds the Christopher Champlin Medal from the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island for Distinguished Masonic Achievement.
January 14, 1971. Saint Paul's Lodge paid honor to one of its own Past Masters, Wor. William Austin Wood, who had been appointed to the high office of District Deputy Grand Master for the South Boston Fourth Masonic District, and who was making his first Fraternal visitation in that capacity. He has very wisely chosen our Junior Past Master, Wor. Vernon Sisson Bowers, to be the District Deputy Grand Marshal. Both of these Past Masters will be presiding at our 125th anniversary celebration on March 11, 1971.
During the past twenty-five explosive years on this earth, much progress has been made in knowledge and science. We have seen the landing on the moon, which probably made Mother Earth blink in surprise. We have seen the end of one war, but the beginning of others around the world, which certainly must have made Mother Earth shudder and shake in shame. We have seen Society go into a social revolution, which has exploded in many directions. This revolution has affected fraternal organizations adversely, and also the Church. Saint Paul's Lodge has not had an easy time of it, and many times during the past twenty-five years the going has been rough.
It is not possible for us to look over the horizon and see what will happen in the next twenty-five years. Fortunately, that is the Lord's business. Nevertheless, we do know that the future will come like an unheralded guest, and if Society is to exist, it must find a solution to the problems which plague mankind. Masonic high standards, precepts and ideals are needed today more than ever as steadying factors in this age of revolutionary changes. The Masonic Fraternity must not become disheartened, but must continue steadfastly to operate as a bulwark, while at the same time, it must watch the changing times closely and adjust to them. Stars are appearing beside the names of our devoted Past Masters and our older consecrated members are looking tired and worn. We have made the past. We hope that an aggregate of youth will cherish the values of Masonry and carry on with dedication and zeal to a glorious future. Disraeli said, "The Youth of a Nation, are the Trustees of Posterity." To them we must now turn. If they
"Place the germs of Masonry
Into the depths of the human soul;
They'll bud and blossom and bear their fruit
While the endless ages roll."
- 1959 (Petition to remove to Braintree granted, 1959-178)
INSTALLATION, DECEMBER 1872
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXXII, No. 1, January 1873, Page 32:
St. Paul's Lodge, South Boston.— This Lodge held its annual communication at the new Masonic Hall, Broadway, on Friday, the 27th, when its officers for the current year were elected and installed. The ceremonies of installation were performed by Worshipful Fast Master Charles H. White, in his usual happy and impressive manner, assisted by Brother John M. Clark as Marshal. After the ceremonies, the brethren repaired to the banquet hall, and spent a social hour in partaking of the bountiful repast set before them. The occasion was one of pleasure to all present.
INSTALLATION, DECEMBER 1878
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. II, No. 10, January 1879, Page 314:
At the annual Communication on December 30 held in Masonic Hall, South Boston, the following officers of St. Paul's Lodge, F. and A. M. were elected for the ensuing year:
W. Bro. Charles T. Gallagher, W. M.; Samuel P. Willis, S. W.; Charles J. Vaughn, J. W.; W. Bro. F. G. Walbridge, Treasurer; W. Bro Horace Smith, Secretary; and the following appointed : Dr. George O. Jenkins, S. D. ; Henry C. Bispham, J. D.; John A, Abraham, S. S.; Charles C. Domett, J. S.; Wm. S. Walbridge, I. S.; William B. Reed, Marshal; J. Q. A. Holbrook, Tyler; J. P. Weston, Organist. Following the election, the ceremonies of installation were impressively performed by W. Bro. Charles H. White, assisted by W. Bro. W. H. Soule as Marshal.
ANNUAL MEETING, DECEMBER 1882
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. VI, No. 11, February 1883, Page 350:
The Annual Meeting of St. Paul's Lodge, A. F. and A. M., was held Thursday evening. December 21st last, at Masonic Hall, South Boston, and the following officers were elected for the ensuing year: Bro. Charles F. Vaughan. W. M.; Bro. William B. Reid, S. W.; Bro. William S. Walbridge, J. W.; Bro. Otis D. Dana, Treasurer; Bro. Henry B. Chandler, Secretary. The Wor. Master made the following appointments: Rev. Bro. John J. Lewis, Chaplain; Bro. Edward F. Dean, Marshal; Bro. John A. Abraham, S. D.; Bro. William P. Stone, Jr., J. D.; Bro. Alden R. Holden, S. S.; Bro. Edward D. Libbey, J. S.; Bro. Edward C. Jones, I. S.; Bro. J. Q. A. Holbrook, Tyler; Bro. J. P. Weston, Organist.
INSTALLATION, OCTOBER 1983
From TROWEL, February 1984, Page 14:
93 Years Young — He Installs Lodge Officers
Saint Paul's Lodge, A.F. & A.M., of Braintree, Mass., called on Wor. Henry M. MacLeod, Past Master of the Lodge, to install the officers and therein lies a story almost beyond belief.
Wor. Bro. MacLeod is 93 years young. He served as Master of the lodge in 1926, some 57 years ago. He had been raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason in 1918, 65 years ago. And, as related by R.W. Robert A. Macdougall, Secretary of the Lodge and the present District Deputy Grand Master of the South Boston Fourth Masonic District, Wor. Bro. MacLeod had last installed lodge officers some 23 years ago, "And his ritual was nearly perfect."
This event took place on Saturday, October 22nd, in the Masonic Temple in Braintree, Mass., in the presence of 120 members and guests of the lodge.
To a Masonic friend of many years ye Ed. says, "Well done, Henry, God Bless"!
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Timothy Bigelow, Junior Grand Warden 1803, Senior Grand Warden 1804-1805, Grand Master 1806-1808, 1811-1813
- Henry B. Chandler, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1893, 1894; Memorial
- Fredrick W. Clausen, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1951, 1952; SN
- Peter A. Day, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston),1943, 1944; Senior Grand Warden 1946; N
- Charles T. Gallagher, Deputy Grand Master 1899, Grand Master 1900-1902
- Walter F. Johnson, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1928; Memorial
- Steven Lovell, DDGM, District 1, 1850-1852; Grand Chaplain.
- Robert A. MacDougall, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston),1983, 1984
- Frank E. Nelson, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston),1959, 1960; N
- Ronald O. Preble, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston),1987, 1988; N
- James L. Reid, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1936, 1937; Senior Grand Warden 1962; N
- William H.H. Soule, 1881, 1882; Junior Grand Warden 1884
- Frank T. Taylor, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1915, 1916; Junior Grand Warden 1920
- E.M.P. Wells, DDGM, District 1, 1844; Deputy Grand Master 1945; Grand Chaplain
- John A. Abraham, Memorial
- Nicholas A. Apolloinio, Memorial
- Vernon S. Bowers, DDGM, District 28 (Taunton), 1996, 1997; Memorial; N
- Alfred F. Chapman, Memorial
- Henry S. Kolseth, Memorial
- Benjamin W. Rowell, Biography
- Horace L. Smith, Memorial
- Richard W. Smith, Memorial
- Thomas M. Spinney, Memorial
- Edward L. Walbridge, Memorial