- 1 PURITAN LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.7 OTHER BROTHERS
- 2.8 DISTRICTS
- 2.9 LINKS
Chartered By: William Sewall Gardner
Charter Date: 09/12/1870 1870-345
Precedence Date: 07/21/1869
Current Status: Active
- Henry W. Powers, 1869-1871; Mem
- Isaac W. Giles, 1872, 1873
- Nathaniel Pratt, 1874-1876
- Edward Keating, 1877-1881
- Arthur Coleman, 1882-1884
- Leonard B. Hatch, 1885, 1886
- Charles W. Bradbury, 1887-1889
- Jacob L. Batchelder, 1890-1892
- Joseph D. Benson, 1893-1895
- E. Alden Dyer, 1896, 1897; SN
- George L. Paine, 1898-1900
- Silas S. Wright, 1901, 1902
- Harry Stanley, 1903, 1904
- William H. Cook, 1905, 1906
- Roy F. Allen, 1907, 1908; Mem
- G. Howard Soule, 1909, 1910
- Harry P. Goodwin, 1911, 1912
- Harry N. Keith, 1913, 1914
- Roy F. Bradford, 1915, 1916
- Frank O. Goodwin, Jr., 1917, 1918
- Frederick H. Black, 1919, 1920
- Charles E. Baker, 1921, 1922
- Edgar C. Monroe, 1923, 1924
- George E. S. Stanley, 1925, 1926
- Andrew J. Fish, 1927, 1928
- Charles H. Barber, 1929, 1930
- John E. Butler, 1931, 1932
- Percy H. Wood, 1933, 1934
- Donald B. Heath, 1935, 1936
- Carl Etelman, 1937, 1938
- Henry B. Stanley, 1939, 1940
- Charles T. Nicoll, 1941
- Robert H. Gardner, 1942, 1943
- Franklin W. Phinney, 1944, 1945
- Frank W. Milbery, 1946, 1947
- Harold E. Luneberg, 1948, 1949
- George O. Hutchins, 1950
- John H. Holmes, 1951
- John F. Snow, 1952
- Howard A. Mann, 1953
- George H. Howard, 1954; N
- Linwood L. Stetson, 1955
- Lester D. Meserve, 1956
- Emerson A. Hall, 1957
- Walter H. Gassett, 1958
- Robert E. Godbout, 1959
- Stanley H. Peterson, 1960; N
- Ralph S. Josselyn, 1961
- Bud M. Talpey, 1962
- Harold N. Green, 1963
- Gordon R. French, 1964
- Ara Manoogian, 1965; PDDGM
- Harold T. Dodge, 1966; Mem
- Daniel P. Horner, 1967
- Carlton E. Frisbie, 1968
- Alvin O. Laaperi, 1969
- Donald E. Plimpton, 1970
- Richard T. Gill, 1971
- Robert E. Hoxie, 1972
- Adam L. Y. Murray, 1973
- Wilbur F. Porter, Jr., 1974
- Clinton T. Jenkins, 1975
- Ward C. Benson, Jr., 1976
- Robert E. Godbout, Jr., 1977
- Charles R. Roth, 1978
- Robert Titterington, 1979
- Robert W. Morse, 1980
- Douglas E. Wales, 1981
- Gregory S. Manoogian, 1982
- John Raczkowski, 1983
- Ward C. Benson, Jr., 1984
- Robert W. Finlay, Sr., 1985
- Donald L. Green, 1986
- Robert E. Kellstrand, 1987, 1997
- Robert R. Bruce, 1988
- James M. Gordon, 1989
- Robert A. McDougall, 1990, 2003
- Joseph C. Livrago, 1991
- Stanton G. Thorp, 1992
- Richard C. Austin, 1993, 1994
- Ronald G. Green, 1995, 1996
- Richard J. Duhaine, 1998; PDDGM
- Gordon R. Andrews, 1999
- George E. Noon, 2000
- Douglas W. Noon, 2001
- Walter L. Miller, 2002
- Craig A. Erickson, 2004, 2009, 2010
- William W. Scott, 2005
- Steven F. Shedd, 2006, 2007
- Fred L. Packard, 2008
- Lars W. Johnson, 2011
- Andrew C. Duhaine, 2012
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1870 (Gardner; Constitution of Lodge and installation)
- 1880 (Welch)
- 1881 (Lawrence)
- 1905 (Sanford)
- 1908 (Blake)
- 1920 (Prince; 50th Anniversary, Special Communication)
- 1945 (Wragg; 75th Anniversary, Special Communication)
- 1970 (Jaynes; Centenary, Special Communication)
- 1976 (Maxwell; installation)
- 1982 (Berquist; petition to jointly occupy Masonic Apartments in East Bridgewater; granted.)
- 1983 (Berquist; table lodge)
- 1984 (Richardson)
- 1993 (Lovering; 2 visits, including table lodge)
- 1995 (Lovering; 2 visits, including 125th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1997 (A. Johnson; 2 visits, including table lodge)
- 1920 (50th Anniversary History, 1920-311; see below)
- 1945 (75th Anniversary History, 1945-295; see below)
- 1970 (Centenary History, 1970-415; see below)
- 1995 (125th Anniversary History, 1995-232; see below)
50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, OCTOBER 1920
From Proceedings, Page 1920-311:
By Worshipful E. Alden Dyer.
If scientists are right and uttered sound goes echoing on from space to space to the last syllable of recorded time; if it is possible to send the human voice through trackless void to be gathered up by some listening antennae through miles and miles of intervening space; if, as we know the words and music of the great and famous of the earth can be indelibly impressed for our instruction and delight, then we believe and know that the principles and tenets of Masonry as inculcated around the altar of our plighted faith have made a lasting impression on the heart of man, as in the past so too in futures yet to be.
If truth, relief, and brotherly love, the three great tenets of our time honored Institution mean anything to the initiate schooled in these attributes, they mean an uplift, a broader outlook on life, a greater love for liberty and law, a greater patriotism and devotion to country, and a stronger faith in the fraternity and brotherhood of man. But the realm of Masonry is world-wide and all-embracing. From the building of King Solomon's Temple all down through the ages among all peoples, be they white or black, red, brown, or yellow, in civilization or savagery, the mystic ties of Ancient Masonry have brought help and succor in times of extreme distress and danger. The call of distress through the darkest night has often brought relief, to the credit of our mystic Brotherhood. On the battlefield when the passions of men are enflamed with the lust for blood and slaughter, the death thrust has often been averted by recognition of the kinship of our ancient Brotherhood.
But Masonry teaches, however checkered the trestle-board of life may be, that all men are created 'free and equal and that all alike should be judged by the eternal verities—truth and justice. But Masonry further teaches, however skilled the workman in the tools of his handicraft, be they the plumb, square, level, or compasses, that he is also building the temple of his life according as his light may be in the revealed "Word of the Great Master of Life till mortal toil shall cease and the workman shall be summoned hence.
At a meeting held at American Hall in South Abington on July 9, 1869, at which Samuel N. Dyer, Jr. was chairman and Samuel Foster secretary, it was voted by the Master Masons of South Abington to petition the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, and also John Cutler Lodge, of Abington, that a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons to be known as Puritan Lodge be established and that the first three officers be Henry W. Powers as Worshipful Master, Samuel N. Dyer, Jr. as Senior Warden, and Franklin P. Harlow as Junior Warden. To this petition there were thirty-seven signers. A Dispensation was granted July 24, A.D. 1869, A.L. 5869, signed by William Sewall Gardner, Grand Master, attest Solon Thornton, Grand Secretary.
At a regular communication convened at Liberty Hall, South Abington, Aug. 9, 1869, Puritan Lodge was opened in due form with H. W. Powers, Worshipful Master, S. N. Dyer, Jr., Senior Warden, F. P. Harlow, Junior Warden, A. S. Stetson, Treasurer, Dan Packard, Secretary, J. W. Giles, Senior Deacon, G. W. Reed, Junior Deacon, Luther Peterson, Senior Steward, C. W. Reed, Junior Steward, W. P. Corthell, Chaplain, C. F. Allen, Marshal, A. Porter, Jr., Inside Sentinel, and Samuel Foster, Tyler, with A. S. Stetson, W. L. Reed, and Jacob Bates a Board of Trustees, and G. W. Reed, F. P. Harlow, and W. P. Corthell a committee on By-Laws. It was voted to lease Liberty Hall for five years and that the first three officers be a committee on fitting up the same.
At a regular communication on Sept. 15, 1869, the committee reports were accepted and adopted and applications for the degrees received. At a special communication Oct. 27, 1869, a delegation of thirty Brothers from John Cutler Lodge was present and Worshipful Master H. F. Whidden in behalf of John Cutler Lodge presented Puritan Lodge with a set of jewels.
At a regular communication Aug. 10, 1870, it was voted to petition the Grand Lodge for a Charter for Puritan Lodge and on Oct. 1, 1870, Puritan Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons was Constituted and its officers installed by the officers of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts in Ample Form.
Of the work and growth of Puritan Lodge from its organization up to the present time for fifty years, a detailed report is preserved in the records, which are of special interest only to the members of the Lodge. Suffice it to mention a few of the many pleasant surprises from the regular business and routine of the Lodge.
On Feb. 21, 1877, the doors of the Lodge-room were for the first time opened to the wives, sisters, and friends of the members of Puritan Lodge who came with an offering of a silver service, an ice pitcher and goblets, which, whether intentionally or not contributed to the fulfillment of that great cardinal virtue of Masonry, temperance. The presentation speech by Mrs. Edward S. Powers was so skillfully and happily given that Masonic reserve for once was broken and I doubt not that it was the commencement of what later became our Annual Ladies' Night land Strawberry Festival, and perhaps later on so softened the hearts of the members as to open their Lodge-room to the Order of the Eastern Star.
On Aug. 7, 1878, Brother W. P. Corthell exhibited the diploma and apron of Hon. Jared Whitman from Union Lodge of Nantucket, under date of Jan. 1, 1809, when resolutions on his death were presented to the Lodge. Hon. Jared Whitman kept his Masonic allegiance through anti-Masonic times, though he was debarred from church councils and judged unfit to act as a superintendent of a Sunday School because he would not renounce his belief in Freemasonry.
On Jan. 6, 1908, Worshipful Brother Dyer in behalf of Mrs. William R. Vining presented Puritan Lodge with the framed diploma and apron of her father, the Hon. Jared Whitman. It was voted to accept the same and that they be hung on the walls of the Lodge-room.
On Oct. 21, 1889, Worshipful Brother Reverend Leonard B. Hatch presented Puritan Lodge with a full set of chain collars' and jewels.
On Jan. 21, 1891, Worshipful Brother Hatch informed the Lodge that our late Brother and Chaplain W. P. Corthell left fifty dollars in his will to Puritan Lodge, which later was expended for a bookcase as a memorial to him.
On Sunday morning, Oct. 28, 1894, by invitation of Reverend Brother Gerrish the Lodge attended divine service at the Methodist Church.
At a special communication June 17, 1895, the Lodge was opened at 7.15 a.m. for the purpose of attending the Centennial Celebration at Bunker Hill Monument in memory of Most Worshipful Brother Joseph Warren. Brother Dyer, the Senior Warden, acting as Worshipful Master, conducted the Lodge to Charlestown and return.
June 9, 1897, mourning drapery for the a!tar was presented to the Lodge by Brother E. T. Davis.
Dec. 2, 1903, the Trustees recommended that the Order of the Eastern Star be granted the use of the Lodge-room and it was so voted. At a special communication, May 23, 1906, Brother Walter L. French, of Paul Revere Lodge, presented Puritan Lodge with a beautiful framed picture of King Solomon's Temple.
A special communication was held Sept. 29, 1906, to receive the Grand Officers of the Grand Lodge to lay the corner-stone of the new Town Hall. After the impressive ceremonies a collation was served to the Officers and Brothers present.
June 19, 1907, a fine organ was presented to the Lodge from a number of the Brothers.
At a special communication June 23, 1907, by invitation of Reverend Brother W. J. Stewart, D. D., the Lodge attended service at the Baptist Church.
Oct. 16, 1907, Puritan Lodge was presented a set of gavels by Brother A. H. Brigham, brought by him from Jerusalem.
On March 25, 1908, Past Master's Night was first observed.
At a special communication March 29, 1908, the Lodge attended services at the Unitarian Church by invitation of its pastor, Reverend Brother W. D. Wilkie.
At a special communication April 22, 1908, Grand Master John Albert Blake was present with his suite and presented the interests of the Masonic Home at Charlton, Mass.
At a special communication May 27, 1908, Puritan Lodge entertained Plymouth Lodge, with seventy-six visiting Brothers present. At a special communication June 14, 1908, Reverend Brother W. J. Stewart, D.D., gave a very interesting and instructive address after the banquet entitled "Our Patron Saints." Aug. 5, 1908, a set of cases for new silverware was presented the Lodge by Pilgrim Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star.
May 17, 1909, sixty members from Puritan Lodge went by special car to Plymouth Lodge, returning home after the banquet at 1.15 a. m.
On Oct. 18, 1910, a burial service was conducted at the Methodist Church and grave for Worshipful Brother Joseph D. Benson.
At a special communication March 20, 1912, we had a visit from one hundred and seventeen members of Plymouth Lodge, with seventy-six members of Puritan Lodge present.
At a regular communication March 19, 1913, in behalf of twenty-four members of Puritan Lodge who are also members of George A. Custer Camp No. 11, Sons of Veterans, "Worshipful Brother Dyer presented a handsome flag which was accepted by "Worshipful Master Harry N. Keith in a fitting manner and the thanks of the Lodge were voted the donors.
At a special communication on Sunday morning, Feb. 27, 1916, Puritan Lodge, by invitation of our Chaplain, attended divine service at the First Congregational Church, where Reverend Brother W. W. Dorman gave an interesting discourse, The Shibboleths of Life.
At a regular communication Oct. 24, 1917, it was voted that the dues of the Brothers serving in the army or navy or any branch of the United States service be remitted from time to time as they become due until the termination of the war.
At a regular communication Dec. 26, 1917, on motion of Worshipful Brother Allen it was voted that a service flag be purchased and displayed in front of the hall.
At Past Master's Night held on May 22, 1918, the sprig of acacia used during the evening was brought from California by Brother Obed H. Ellis. At a regular communication Nov. 13, 1918, on motion of Worshipful Brother Allen it was voted that as the first business of the meeting all stand with bowed heads giving silent thanks to Almighty God for the deliverance of the world from the power of autocracy.
The total membership of the Lodge at the close of the year 1919 was two hundred and seventeen. Eighty-eight have passed from the roll of membership of Puritan Lodge to the Celestial Lodge above.
Their work has been recorded,
Their labors now are done,
We follow on to meet them
When our life's sands are run.
In closing it has seemed to me that the words of Washington to the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts are especially fitting.
"Flattering as it may be to the human mind and truly honorable as it is to receive from our fellow citizens testimonials of approbation for exertions to promote the public welfare, it is not less pleasing to know that the milder virtues of the heart are highly respected by a society whose liberal principles are founded in the immutable laws of truth and justice.
75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, OCTOBER 1945
From Proceedings, Page 1945-295:
By Brother Harold E. Luneburg.
Many of our Brothers who are present tonight will recall the fiftieth anniversary celebration in this hall, when Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince addressed the Lodge on that occasion. Then, as now, a great war had recently terminated and now, as then, our first rejoicing is for our Brethren who were in the conflict and have been, or will be, safely returned to us.
The history of our fiftieth anniversary, which was written by R. W. E. Alden Dyer, began: "If scientists are right, and uttering sound goes echoing from space to space to the last syllable of recorded time." He was, of course, referring to commercial radio broadcasting which, at that time, was in its puling infancy and has grown to its vast present day proportions. The waves of radio, like Freemasonry, are inaudible sounds which go on to infinity.
The first meeting of the organizers of Puritan Lodge was held in American Hall, South Abington. The second meeting of Puritan Lodge was held in Liberty Hall on August 9, 1869, with Worshipful Henry W. Powers presiding.
Upon reflection that our Lodge was constituted on October 1, 1870, we find with surprise that it is five years older than the Town of Whitman itself.
Our records show that we have been honored with the presence of Most Worshipful Grand Masters on several occasions. On October 21, 1870, Most Worshipful William Sewall Gardner installed Worshipful Henry W. Powers as first Master of Puritan Lodge; on September 29, 1906, the Grand Officers of the Grand Lodge came to Whitman to lay the cornerstone of the Town Hall, in which we are now assembled; on April 22, 1908, Most Worshipful John Albert Blake spoke of the Masonic Home before our Lodge; on October 1, 1920, Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince presided at our fiftieth anniversary celebration.
Some of the other events of the Lodge are worthy of recalling again at this time. On October 27, 1869, Worshipful H. F. Whidden and a delegation from John Cutler Lodge presented us with a set of jewels.
All of us see the bookcase in our anteroom, but how many know that it was purchased with the $50.00 legacy bequeathed to us by Brother W. P. Corthell in 1891.
On December 5, 1900, Worshipful J. T. Southworth of Holbrook presented us a gavel made from part of a deckplank of the U. S. S. Olympia. The donation of the wood was authorized by Secretary of the Navy, J. D. Long, in December, 1899. This fact is particularly significant at this time because the Olympia was the flagship of Commodore Dewey at the Battle of Manila.
Our organ was presented by a group of Brothers in 1907. In the same year, Brother A. Henry Brigham brought a set of gavels from Jerusalem and presented them to the Lodge.
In 1917, the Lodge voted to remit the dues of the men in the Service, and in 1942, we passed an identical motion without knowledge of what had been done during the previous war.
Three of our Masters have served the Grand Lodge as District Deputy Grand Masters — Brothers Henry W. Powers, E. Alden Dyer and Roy F. Allen.
On September 21, 1938, in spite of the fallen trees and electric wires caused by the hurricane that evening, Worshipful Henry B. Stanley was installed as Master by candlelight.
In 1939 Rev. Brother John Matteson presented the Lodge with a piece of the granite used in constructing the George Washington Memorial.
Besides the bequests already mentioned, we should again acknowledge the bequests received from Brother George L. Paine of $100.00; Brother Walter L. Reed, $1,000; and Brother Charles L. Poole, $1,000.
During the war just ended, we had fourteen Brothers in the Service.
We salute our oldest living Past Master—Worshipful Silas S. Wright, and our oldest member—Arthur L. Everson, who was raised on November 30, 1881—a member for sixty-four years.
In addition to the aforementioned, Worshipful George E. Stanley, Worshipful Harry Stanley and Brother Edgar A. Dewitt can remember our twenty-fifth anniversary for they have belonged to the Fraternity over fifty years. There are nine others who have belonged over forty years.
Six hundred twenty-five men of this community have signed our by-laws when they became members. There were thirty-seven charter members.
At the end of twenty-five years, this number had increased to 130 members; at the end of fifty years, our membership rose to 237, and we now have 251. Our largest membership was 322 in 1928.
With bowed heads, we think of our 211 Brethren who have been cut down by the scythe of time, but in the words of Brother Lawrence Nicholas Greenleaf—
"Live on! O Masonry, live on!
Thy work hath scarce begun;
Live on! nor end, if end there be,
till earth's last setting sun. Live on!
Thy work in ages past hath but prepared the way;
For every truth thy symbols teach
there's pressing need today." </blockquote>
CENTENARY HISTORY, OCTOBER 1970
From Proceedings, Page 1970-415:
By Worshipful Ralph S. Josselyn.
"Behold how good and how pleasant it is for Brethren to dwell together in unity."
And so it was at a meeting held in American Hall in South Abington on July 9, 1869, presided over by Samuel N. Dyer, Jr. as chairman, and with Samuel Foster as Secretary, it was voted by the Master Masons of South Abington to petition the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, and also John Cutler Lodge of Abington, that a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons to be known as Puritan Lodge be established and that the first three officers be Henry W. Powers, as Worshipful Master, Samuel N. Dyer, Jr. as Senior Warden, and Franklin P. Harlow as Junior Warden. This petition was signed by thirty-seven Master Masons. A Dispensation was granted July 21, A.D. 1869, A.L. S869, signed by William Sewall Gardner, Grand Master, attest Solon Thornton, Grand Secretary.
The first regular communication of Puritan Lodge was convened at Liberty Hall, South Abington, on August 9, 1869 and at this meeting is was voted to lease Liberty Hall for five years, and that the first three officers be a committee for renovation the same.
At a regular communication on August 10, 1870 it was voted to petition Grand Lodge of Massachusetts for a charter for Puritan Lodge and on October 1, 1870, Puritan Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons was constituted; and on October 21, 1870 its officers were installed by the officers of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts in Ample Form. Worshipful Henry W. Powers was installed as the first Master of Puritan Lodge by Most Worshipful William Sewall Gardner. A delegation from John Cutler Lodge of Abington, headed by Worshipful H, F. Whidden, presented Puritan Lodge with a set of Jewels on October 27, 1869.
On January 8, 1873 it was voted to lease the hall, that is our present Temple, for a period of ten years at $200.00 a year. We note that on February 21, 1877, the doors of the Lodge room were for the first time opened to the wives, sisters and friends of the members of Puritan Lodge and this was probably the commencement of our annual Ladies night.
On October 2, 1889 Worshipful L. B. Hatch presented the Lodge with a set of chain collars and jewels.
On December 2, 1903 the Trustees recommended that the Order of the Eastern Star be granted the use of the Lodge room and it was so voted. Over the years Puritan Lodge has benefited greatly from the fine suppers served by the ladies of the Order of Eastern Star as well as the woman's touch in the coverings for the chairs and the window drapes.
Impressive ceremonies were held at a Special Communication of Puritan Lodge on September 29, 1906, at which the Grand Officers of the Grand Lodge attended, for the purpose of laying the corner-stone of the Whitman Town Hall (1906 Mass. 127-133).
In 1917 and again in 1942 the Lodge voted to remit the dues of the men who were in the service.
The 50th anniversary of Puritan Lodge was celebrated on October 1, 1920, with the Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince presiding (1920 Mass. 309-330).
The next few years after 1920 saw the membership show a steady increase, until in 1928 there were 322 members. This was the peak membership for Puritan Lodge.
As we move into the 30's and the years of the depression, we find that those were trying times, but Puritan Lodge persevered and even the hurricane of September 21, 1938 could not prevent Worshipful Henry B. Stanley from being installed Master, by candlelight, by his father, Worshipful Harry Stanley.
On Monday, October 1, 1945 the 75th anniversary of Puritan Lodge was observed with Most Worshipful Samuel H. Wragg presiding (1945 Mass. 293-297).
In 1946 the Puritan Building and Development Association was organized and in November of that year the building, that the Lodge had occupied since 1873, was purchased.
New aprons were purchased for the members on January 22, 1947.
The first Father and Son night took place on the evening of October 15, 1947.
On September 17, 1947 the first public installation of officers of Puritan Lodge was held, with 106 present, including 60 guests.
It was voted on December 15, 1948 that the term of the officers of Puritan Lodge be for one year rather than the two-year terms as in previous years.
The new entrance to the Lodge hall was completed in February 1949 and in the following year a new kitchen was built where the old entrance formerly was located.
In the year 1950 a new Bible was purchased for the altar and the officers' jewels were replated and new velvet was attached.
Puritan Lodge was honored by the appointment of Wor. Harold E. Luneburg as Grand Junior Steward in January 1951. At a meeting in October 1951 it was brought out that the organ, that was presented in 1907, needed to be replaced. In October 1953 a new Hammond Spinet Organ was purchased from donations, including an amount of $50. donated by the Pilgrim Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star.
In 1953 Puritan Lodge was saddened by the sudden passing of Wor. Harold E. Luneburg, and Mrs. Harold Luneburg presented the Lodge with a $100. donation to start a fund designated as the Woi. Harold E. Luneburg Memorial Carpet Fund. Donations were added by the members until in 1960 there was a sufficient sum to install a new carpet and at the same time the Lodge room was refurbished.
In 1954, in memory of Wor. Harold E. Luneburg, the Past Masters of Puritan Lodge presented the Lodge with the Three Great Lights, the Holy Bible, Square and Compasses.
Wor. Ralph A. Powers, grandson of our first Master, Henry \V. Powers, presented Puritan Lodge with his grandfather's Past Master's jewel on May 11, 1955. This jewel, along with other Past Officers' jewels, is on display in a case which was made by Brothers Ara Manoogian and Harold Dodge.
On June 19, 1957 it was voted to donate the use of our Lodge quarters, free of charge for one year, to the newly organized Whitman Assembly of the Order of Rainbow for Girls.
A custom of sending Masonic birthday cards to the members of Puritan Lodge was started in June 1959, and each year since every member has received a card to remind him of the day he was raised.
Puritan Lodge's part in the Grand Lodge Blood Bank has Wor. Harold N. Green to thank for such a large number of members and friends donating to this program. Wor. Green has worked tirelessly and due to his efforts a Certificate has been presented to Puritan Lodge each year, with the exception of the year 1964, from 1963 to date. During this period Wor. Walter H. Gassett has contributed over four gallons of blood.
In May 1964, shortly after Alaska had been devastated by an earthquake, Puritan made a contribution of $100. for Alaskan relief.
In 1965 our kitchen was completely renovated. All the work was donated by members of our Lodge and the money for the project was raised through members' subscriptions and donations of $250. given by Pilgrim Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star and $250. by the Eastern Star 89ers.
In the East of the Lodge room there has been placed an Hour Glass that was presented to the Lodge by Wor. Daniel P. Horner in September 1967.
In December 1968, traveling aprons for the Master and Wardens were presented to Puritan Lodge by Mrs. Charles Chase, widow of Brother Charles Chase, in appreciation of the attention given her late husband during his illness.
In the year 1969 our By-Laws, which were last revised in 19S9, were brought up to date and changes were made wherever necessary.
Two of our Past Masters have had the honor of serving as first Worshipful Masters of newly constituted Lodges: Wor. Charles T. Nicoll as the first Master of Wampatuck Lodge, Hanson, and Wor. Carl Etelman as the first Master of Ezra Lodge, Taunton.
Puritan Lodge has been honored by having five of our Masters serve the Grand Lodge as District Deputy Grand Master. They are: Right Worshipful Brothers Henry W. Powers, E. Alden Dyer, Roy F. Allen, George H. Howard and Stanley H. Peterson.
Over the years we have received the following bequests: Bro. George L. Paine $100.00; Bro. Walter L. Reed $1,000.00; Bro. Charles L. Poole $1,000.00; Bro. George M.Luce $8,488.15; Mrs. Ethel Jackson $100.00; and Mrs. Leon Winslow $100.00. Also, Bro. W. P. Churchill $50.00 which was used to purchase the bookcase in the anteroom. In 1946 Wor. D. B. Heath presented the Lodge $100.00 in memory of Bro. Charles Lowell.
Puritan Lodge has been active in the Forty-first Lodge of Instruction and the following have served as Masters: Wor, John E. Buder, Wor. Donald B. Heath, Rt. Wor. George H. Howard, Wor. George O. Hutchins and the present Master, Wor. Ralph S. Josselyn.
Four sons have had the honor of having been raised by their fathers, Wor. Harry Stanley raised his son Henry; Wor. Frank Milberry raised his son Robert; Wor. Robert Godbout raised his son Robert Jr.; and Wor. Daniel Horner raised his son David.
In recent years our records show that there were three fathers and their sons who were raised together. Henry Howard and son George H. on Nov. 25, 1931; Clarence Bolinder and son Ralph on April 30, 1947; and Albert E. Wales and son Douglas E. on February 28, 1962.
New aprons were purchased in 1970 for the Officers and these were worn for the first time at the 100th Anniversary celebration on Saturday, October 3, 1970.
We are indebted to Pilgrim Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star for the following projects: new seat covers for the chairs in the Lodge room, a new water cooler, window drapes, half the cost of a dinner service for one hundred and many other things too numerous to mention.
At this time we would like to pay special recognition to Wor. Percy H. Wood who is our oldest living Past Master; also to our two oldest members, Bro. Plyna A. Edson, a member for 64 years and Bro. Richard C. Everson, a member for 63 years. During the past one hundred years, nine hundred and two men have signed the By-Laws when they became members. There were thirty-seven charter members when Puritan Lodge was constituted.
At the end of twenty-five years, this number had increased to 130 members; at the end of fifty years, our membership rose to 237; at the end of seventy-five years, our membership had increased to 251; and at the present time we have 284- members.
(History based in part on the research and notes of the late Brother Frederick H. Andrews)
125TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, OCTOBER 1995
From Proceedings, Page 1995-232:
How time flies! It seems that we only celebrated our 100th Anniversary just a few years ago when M. W. Herbert H. Jaynes was present to help us celebrate at the Ridder Country Club.
Some of the highlights of the last 25 years we will try to compile and hope we don't miss anything of general interest.
Since 1970, Puritan Lodge has taken its regular turn at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Brockton every 8 weeks escorting patients to chapel. There is one Brother who not only makes most all of Puritan Lodge's turns but also attends nearly every week helping the other lodges, Bro. Douglas W. Noon.
The participation in the Blood Program, which was started in 1963, has continued unbroken. Except for 1 year, we have earned 30 Blood Citations from Grand Lodge. At our last blood recognition night, there were presentations of 8, 5, 4, 3, and 1 gallon pins. There have been many donors who have donated many gallons in the past and, as you can see, have been succeeded by worthy successors. Behind all the blood donors are the many workers who do the tabulations, assist the donors, and provide the refreshments. As far as can be determined, there has been only one "unproductive unit". The nurses tried but could get hardly a drop. The individual shall not be named here, but 1 suspect the story will be told for generations.
In 1973, a Building Committee was formed to make improvements to our old quarters on Washington Street in Whitman Center. By working mostly during the summers, the old store front on the first floor was converted over to a banquet hall and kitchen by 1976. This worked out well for the lodge for a few years until the heating costs, due to the oil crisis, became almost prohibitive. With the proposed gift of land by Bro. George A. Ridder, committees were chosen by Puritan, Satucket, and Wampatuck Lodges to look into the building of a new Temple to be shared by each lodge. A Tri-Town Masonic Temple Association was formed in 1979. The first Puritan Lodge representatives were Brothers Robert E. Godbout, Jr., Ara Manoogian, Bud M. Talpey, Stuart G. Sheldon, and Leslie W. Holbrook, who were elected September 1980. Wor. Harold N. Green served as the first president, and he, R. W. Manoogian, and R. W. Godbout are still serving on that Board. On November 18, 1981, Puritan Lodge had its last meeting in the old quarters in Whitman Center, and on November 21, 1981, the first meeting was held in the new Tri-Town Masonic Temple as a joint meeting with Satucket and Wampatuck Lodges, opened by R. W. Stephen H. Noyes, D. D. G. M.
Puritan Lodge has been blessed with several appointments by Grand Lodge. R. W. Robert E. Godbout, Jr., having previously served as a Junior Grand Steward, was appointed Grand Marshal by M. W. David B. Richardson in 1984, and he was elected Senior Grand Warden for 1987. He is also Grand Representative to Iceland. His father, R. W. Robert E. Godbout, Sr., was appointed a Grand Representative to Rio De Janeiro. There have been two Past Masters appointed District Deputy Grand Master for the 29th District, R. W. Ara Manoogian for 1977 & 1978 and R.W. Harold T. Dodge for 1987 & 1988. These particular years point out an oddity: every 10 years since R. W. George H. Howard was appointed for 1957 & 1958, and R. W. Stanley H. Peterson for 1967 & 1968, Puritan Lodge has been favored with an appointment. What will happen in 1997 and 1998? To paraphrase the old Shadow show, "Only the Grand Master knows.". R. W. Ara Manoogian was appointed a Grand Lecturer in 1988.
The Tri-Town Masonic Temple was dedicated by M. W. J. Philip Berquist, Grand Master, on May 16, 1982, to an overflow crowd. A TV camera and large-screen TV were set up so that guests in the banquet hall could watch the proceedings. M. W. Berquist presented Wor. Harold N. Green with the Joseph Warren Medal and Bro. Leslie W. Holbrook with a Certificate of Meritorious Service in recognition of their efforts in the building of the temple.
On November 28,1987, M. W. Albert T. Ames, Grand Master, was present for the mortgage burning. Bro. Wesley D. Blake, a 60-year Puritan Lodge member at that time, assisted in the ceremony. The 10th Anniversary of the Tri-Town Temple was celebrated at a joint meeting with Satucket and Wampatuck Lodges on May 16, 1992, with M. W. Edgar W. Darling, Grand Master, present.
There have been many activities over the last 25 years (many conducted annually) such as Ladies Nights with banquet and entertainment, summer trip to a Paw Sox ball game, Father and Son nights, summer picnics for the whole family, Christmas Parties for the children, and various other miscellaneous events. Puritan Lodge has been represented in several parades over the last 25 years. The Whitman Centennial Parade in June 1975 with Wor. Clinton T. Jenkins as the Marshal of one division and Wor. Brothers Wilbur F. Porter and John F. Snow riding behind in a 1915 Ford. (The Ford was not quite as old as Wor. Snow.) The Tri-Town Veterans' Day Parade in Whitman with John Cutler, Satucket, and Wampatuck Lodges also participating on November 11, 1983. The parade honoring the 181st Engineers, based in Whitman, who were involved in the Desert Storm War. At the end of this parade, flags which had been displayed on telephone poles around the town, were presented to the veterans. These flags had been purchased by businesses, organizations, or individuals, which also included Puritan Lodge. We were also represented in the Bridgewater Tri-Town Veterans' Parade in 1994 with Satucket Lodge in East Bridgewater. The highlight of this parade was assisting in the raising of the large flag which was flown that previous June in France, to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Invasion of Normandy during WW II.
There have been many visits to out-of-state lodges where we have had the opportunity to witness their ritual and they to witness ours as we conferred a degree on one of our candidates. The lodges visited have been Arundel Lodge #76 of Kennebunkport, Maine, Lafayette Lodge #41 of Manchester, New Hampshire, Fidelity Lodge #51 of Ithaca, New York, Social Friends Lodge #42 of Keene, New Hampshire, Tuscan Lodge #106 of Addison, Maine, Charity Lodge #43 of Bradford, Vermont, and Kemankeag Lodge #213 of Rangeley, Maine. At Charity Lodge, we carried our Hammond organ up 3 flights to the Lodge room and also one brother in a wheelchair. It was in Charity Lodge that Wor. Adam L. Y. Murray raised his son Dana. Charity Lodge members commented it was the first time they heard ritual in a foreign language. (It was only Wor. Murray's Scottish accent.) Many of these lodges also paid Puritan Lodge a visit in our quarters.
Since 1970 there have been four Past Masters of Puritan Lodge who have raised their sons in Puritan Lodge. R. W. Ara Manoogian raised his son Gregory, Wor. Adam L. Y. Murray raised his son Dana, R. W. Robert E. Godbout, Jr. raised his son Scott with his own father, R. W. Robert E. Godbout, Sr. assisting, and Wor. Harold N. Green raised his son Ronald. There have been two other father and son combinations when Wor. Donald E. Plimpton raised his son Leslie in Plymouth Lodge and Wor. James N. Gracie, a Past Master of Algonquin Lodge, raised his son James T. Gracie in Puritan Lodge.
The lodge has had several degree teams who have conferred degrees on candidates in Puritan Lodge. Some that we remember are the Kilted-Craft from Lexington, the Firefighters Square Club, the Armenian Past Masters and Officers Assoc., the National Letter Carriers Assoc., the Colonial Degree Team from Paul Revere Lodge, the Colonial Craftsmen's Club from Southboro, the Ebb and Flow Club from So. Weymouth Naval Air Base, the Purple Friends of the 29th District, and the Wheel Chair Degree Team who exemplified the Master Mason degree in wheelchair.
Starting in June of 1978, 25-year lapel pins have been presented to eligible members.
There have been 3 Past Masters who have served as Master of the 41 st Lodge of Instruction since 1970. They are Wor. Donald E. Plimpton, Wor. Ward C. Benson, Jr. and Wor. Harold N. Green. Wor. Donald L. Green was recently installed into the line of succession.
In the area of Public Relations and community service, Puritan Lodge has had several Masonic Awareness functions, has assisted the VFW with the town wide Halloween Party for the children, have participated in donations to the Whitman Food Pantry, helped sponsor a girls soccer team, and through the efforts of Wor. Richard T. Austin and other Masons, were instrumental in raising funds and helping out a family who were burned out of their home.
Events were not always staid and formal, as there were numerous humorous things that have taken place. As a few of the brothers were clearing some trees around the temple, Wor. Harold N. Green wanted to cut down the last one which he did and promptly felled it across his own truck. Some woodsman! Wor. John Raczkowski did some scrambling on a visit to Maine when asked if he had the Charter and Dispensation. The District Deputy Grand Master told him he couldn't open lodge unless he had them. Fortunately they were procured. Wor. John F. Snow was usually asked for any comments at meetings. Some of the brothers used to time the length of the remarks. The best was when he spoke for 5 minutes in order to say he had no comments. Some politician, huh! When the lodge first installed an electrician to operate the lights, he was presented a candle in order to have light to find the lighting console. Many other funny stories could be told, but these may help in the recollection of those not mentioned. As we started on September 1970 with 285 members, we have taken in 193 new members and affiliates but we have lost 263 members, leaving us with a count of 215 members going into this Masonic Year. In spite of this loss, the enthusiasm of Puritan Lodge members remains high, and it is hoped that the numbers may increase. It is to the future generations we leave the legacy of our ancient brethren which was passed on to us and which we now will pass on.
Three stone Masons were working one day; I paused a while as I passed that way.
I asked this question of all to see Just what they thought and would say to me.
'What are you doing?' I asked them all. These are the answers, as I recall;
The first man said: 'I'm chipping stone' He saw his job and his job alone.
The second man answered: 'Can't you see - My ten bucks a day look good to me'.
But the third man answered, and he was right, 'I'm building a temple on this site'.
The selfsame work by all was done, But one had vision, the rest had none.
Your work is easy or hard for you, It all depends on your point-of-view.
the Bridgewater Tri-Town Veterans' Parade in 1994 with Satucket Lodge in East Bridgewater. The highlight of this parade was assisting in the raising of the large flag which was flown that previous June in France, to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Invasion of Normandy during WW II.
- 1906 Participation in Whitman cornerstone laying, 1906-127)
- 1987 Participation in mortgage burning, 1987-117)
- 1992 Participation in 10th Anniversary of Tri-Town Temple, 1992-45)
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Roy F. Allen, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1921, 1922; Memorial
- Richard T. Austin, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1999, 2000; Junior Grand Warden 2007.
- David T. Carleton, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1973, 1974; Biography
- Richard J. Duhaine, DDGM, District 17, 2003, 2004
- E. Alden Dyer, DDGM, District 24 (Brockton), 1906, 1907; SN
- Henry W. Powers, DDGM, District 24 (Brockton), 1885; Memorial
- Richard C. Austin, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1999, 2000; Junior Grand Warden 2007
- Harold T. Dodge, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1987, 1988; Memorial
- Robert E. Godbout, Jr., Grand Marshal 1984-1986; Senior Grand Warden 1987
- George H. Howard, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1957, 1958; N
- Ara Manoogian, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1977, 1978
- Stanley H. Peterson, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1967, 1968; N