- 1 MOUNT HERMON LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 EVENTS
- 2.7 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.8 OTHER BROTHERS
- 2.9 DISTRICTS
- 2.10 LINKS
MOUNT HERMON LODGE
Chartered By: Winslow Lewis
Charter Date: 09/12/1855 V-579
Precedence Date: 10/17/1854
Current Status: In Grand Lodge Vault; merged into Golden Rule, 06/30/2014.
- George Hervey, 1854, 1855, 1856
- Elisha Stetson, 1857
- Elbridge G. Currel, 1858
- Cleopas B. Johnson, 1859
- Elihu O. Baker, 1860, 1861, 1862
- Samuel C. Lawrence, 1863, 1864
- Benjamin A. Hersey, 1865, 1866
- Henry H. Gilmore, 1867
- Charles E. Joyce, 1868
- Neheniam T. Merriml, 1869
- John Viall, 1870
- Smith B. Harrington, 1871; SN
- Charles D. Archibald, 1872
- Samuel Hall, 1873, 1874
- William A. Webber, 1875, 1876
- Darius A. Green, 1877, 1878
- Herbert A. Reed, 1879, 1880
- Edward W. Hayes, 1881, 1882
- James F. Hannah, 1883, 1884
- A. Byron Reed, 1885, 1886
- William B. Lawrence, 1887, 1888
- Rosewell B. Lawrence, 1889, 1890
- Calvin H. Clark, 1891, 1892
- J. Gilman Waite, 1893
- Walter L. Hall, 1894, 1895
- William P. Martin, 1896, 1897
- Edward W. Mitchell, 1898, 1899
- George W. Green, 1900, 1901
- Lorenzo L. Green, 1902, 1903
- Charles D. Tucker, 1904, 1905
- Charles B. Dunham, 1906, 1907; N
- Henry W. Dorr, 1908, 1909
- Gilbert Hodges, 1910
- George H. Archibald, 1911, 1912
- Thomas Jackson, 1913, 1914
- Clifford M. Brewer, 1915, 1916; Memorial
- Kenneth Hutchins, 1917, 1918
- Burton G. Ellis, 1919, 1920
- George E. Green, 1921, 1922
- Loren A. Gordon, 1923, 1924
- F. Irving Weston, 1925, 1926
- William E. Scott, 1927, 1928
- Edward N. Brown, 1929, 1930
- Robert N. Spofford, 1931, 1932; N
- Ralph W. Hamilton, 1933, 1934
- Oliver S. Everett, 1935
- Guy A. Lothrop, 1936, 1937
- William R. Paige, 1938
- Adam Murray, 1939, 1940
- Arthur L. Spofford, 1941
- William J. Gurney, 1942
- Francis L. Archibald, 1943, 1944
- John G. Bohn, 1945, 1946
- John A. Finlayson, 1947,1948
- Rufus H. Bond, 1949
- Vernon E. Chandler, 1950
- Robert L. Bennett, 1951
- Raymond G. McClure, 1952
- Percey H. Belyea, 1953
- Charles H. Morgan, 1954
- Karsten H. Sandmo, 1955
- William H. Cruwys, 1956; N
- Robert O. Anderson, 1957
- John A. Sencabaugh, 1958
- Arthur G. Fraser, 1959
- Arthur W. Emerson, 1960
- Malcolm R. Southard, 1961
- Joseph H. Wagg, 1962
- James S. W. Rogers, 1963
- Wayne E. Soucey, 1964
- H. Paul Hokanson, Jr., 1965; N
- Don W. Kurth, 1966
- Donald R. Ryti, 1967, 1981
- Charles R. Georgerian, 1968
- Thomas C. Somerville, 1969
- Leonard E. Neil, 1970
- Kurt J. Guenther, 1971
- Vernon E. Chandler, Jr., 1972
- Robert L. Walker, 1973
- Merrill L. Browne, 1974,1975
- Russell B. Stead, 1976
- Frederick VanMagness, 1977
- Joseph H. Wagg, III, 1978
- James B. Smith, 1979, 1982
- David R. Ryti, 1980, 1985
- Donald F. Green, Jr., 1983
- Wayne A. Brown, 1984
- Michael A. Brown, 1986; PDDGM
- Donald M. Hawes, 1987
- David S. Chisholm, Jr., 1988, 1997, 1998
- Peter J. Andrews, 1989
- John Suttie, 1990
- Robert F. Harding, III, 1991
- Vahan H. Kouyoumjian, 1992, 2001, 2002, 2003
- Timothy S. McGavin, 1993, 1994, 2009
- Malcolm A. Watson, 1995,1996
- Francis G. Baumgardner, 1999, 2000, 2010
- Timothy J. Sullivan, 2004, 2005
- Frank J. Kautz, II, 2006, 2007, 2008
- Donald E. Hohler, Jr. 2011, 2012
- Donald E. Chisholm, 2013, 2014
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1856 (Lewis; installation; not in Proceedings; see below)
- 1861 (W. Coolidge; installation; not in Proceedings; see below)
- 1874 (Nickerson)
- 1881 (Lawrence; 2 visits)
- 1883 (Lawrence; 3 visits)
- 1892 (Wells)
- 1901 (Gallagher)
- 1906 (Blake)
- 1909 (Flanders)
- 1922 (Prince)
- 1925 (Ferrell; hall dedication; Special Communication)
- 1954 (W. Johnson; Centenary; Special Communication)
- 1962 (Eaton; installation)
- 1985 (Richardson; table lodge)
- 1989 (Ames)
- 2004 (Hicks; 150th Anniversary)
- 2014 (Waugh; Consolidation; Special Communication)
- 1954 (Centenary History, 1954-157; see below)
CENTENARY HISTORY, OCTOBER 1954
From Proceedings, Page 1954-157:
by Worshipful William J. Gurney.
With the observance of the one hundredth anniversary of Mount Hermon Lodge, we review with pride and deep satisfaction the many milestones of progress and accomplishment along its path. We of this generation owe a debt of gratitude to that small group of Brethren who labored so zealously to establish Masonry in Medford.
The year 1854 is the official date of the founding of Mount Hermon, but prior to that, a Lodge bearing the same name was constituted in the year 1817 in Maiden. This one surrendered its charter in the year 1830, probably because of the anti-Masonic feeling prevalent at the time which caused many Lodges to relinquish their charters and go out of existence.
In the year 1854, a group of Masons in Medford held a meeting for the purpose of instituting a Lodge in this Town. After several meetings, Bro. George Hervey proposed that the Lodge be named Mount Hermon Lodge of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, taking this name from that which was originally Mount Hermon Lodge of Maiden and of which he was formerly a member. This was unanimously approved by those present.
The population of the Town of Medford at that time was 4,500. As in all communities, there are men who from their character and integrity seem to stand out among their fellow men. Such were those who petitioned our Grand Lodge for a charter, first receiving permission from two of the nearest Lodges, Hiram of West Cambridge, and King Solomon's of Charlestown. The petitioners were George Hervey, Elisha Stetston, Elbridge G. Currell, Hiram Southworth, Samuel C. Lawrence, Cleopas B. Johnson, Charles E. Merrill, James Ford, John T. White, Samuel Kidder, A. H. Gardner, T. R. Peck, and William Crook, all Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons.
The dispensation was granted October 17, 1854, and the Lodge was fortunate in obtaining suitable quarters (which was formerly the Odd Fellows Hall) situated above the Boston & Maine Railroad Station in Medford Square. The Sons of Temperance occupied these rooms which were hired. The first meeting was held November 9, 1854, and the following officers were unanimously chosen:
- George Hervey, Worshipful Master
- Elisha Stetson, Senior Warden
- John T. White, Junior Warden
- Hiram Southworth, Treasurer
- Elbridge G. Currell, Secretary
- Cleopas B. Johnson, Senior Deacon
- Charles E. Merrill, Junior Deacon
At this meeting Samuel C. Lawrence was proposed for membership and an application for initiation was received from Lewis Keen. He afterwards was accepted and was the first person to receive the several degrees in Mount Hermon Lodge. It was further voted that the regular monthly communications be held on Wednesday on or before the full of the moon.
On January 3, 1855, the by-laws, which were proposed by a committee consisting of the first officers of the Lodge, were adopted. At that time it was also voted to hire "Sons of Temperance Hall," the option of which had been secured by a committee appointed for that purpose. In September of that year a committee appointed to devise a seal submitted a design which was approved; the same seal is in use today.
Finally, on December 27, 1855, the Sons of Temperance having dissolved, the committee reported hiring of lodge-rooms from the Boston & Maine agent with the understanding that the Lodge should have exclusive use of the hall and ante-rooms at a rental of $100 per annum, payable in quarterly installments. They also reported the purchase of all the articles of furniture from the Sons of Temperance for the sum of $75.
On January 31, 1856, the formal dedication and consecration of the Lodge took place. The officers resigned their several stations to the Grand Officers of the Grand Lodge, who consecrated the Lodge under the name of Mount Hermon Lodge of Medford, Massachusetts, after which the following officers were duly installed:
- Wor. George Hervey, Master
- Bro. Elisha Stetson, Senior Warden
- Bro. Elbridge G. Currell, Junior Warden
- Bro. Hiram Southworth, Treasurer
- Bro. David Simpson, Secretary pro tem
The ceremony was performed in a very impressive manner and was well attended by many distinguished Masons from surrounding communities.
After the Lodge was constituted, there were a large number of applications and the increase in membership was very heartening. On March 7, 1860, a petition for the degrees was received from one whose faithful service and genial, kindly manner made him appreciated by every member of Mount Hermon, and whose pleasant disposition and manly character made him universally beloved throughout the City. On that date the application of Parker R. Litchfield was read and referred to the usual committee. He received his First and Second Degrees on May 2nd and May 30th, respectively, and was made a Master Mason on June 7, 1860. In October, 1862, he was elected Secretary of the Lodge, which position he held without interruption until April 5, 1910, making a record of service of forty-eight years, a length of time, we believe, unequalled by anyone holding a similar office in the state.
It may be interesting to note here that Mount Hermon is unique in regard to another officer, Bro. George Bent Green, who served as Treasurer from 1868 to 1914, a period of forty-seven years. This we are led to believe is the longest term of any Treasurer of a Masonic Lodge in Massachusetts.
While we are honored with this record for length of continuous service of a Treasurer and Secretary, it appears that the example of the former was followed by his four sons, all of whom were members of the Fraternity and Past Masters, three having served Mount Hermon Lodge. Let us consider these faithful Brethren, who builded so well, in the order in which they appear: Wor. Darius A. Green, Master,!877-1878; Wor. George W. Green, Master, 1900-1901, was elected Secretary in 1911 and continued in that office until 1936, a period of twenty-five years; Wor. Lorenzo L. Green, Master, 1902-1903, and Treasurer, 1914-1929, was appointed Grand Lecturer of the Grand Lodge in 1922, which position he held until 1929. A fourth son, Wor. Charles M. Green, was a Past Master of the Lodge of Saint Andrew of Boston.
To our Lodge belongs the honor of being the first to commute the so-called capitation tax, levied June 11, 1879, on the members of all Lodges in Massachusetts by the Grand Lodge to reduce its indebtedness. Following is an excerpt from a letter dated December 26, 1883, from the Most Worshipful Grand Master.
It is to the officers and members of Mount Hermon Lodge, therefore, that I make my first official communication of the fact, that by the commutation of two lodges since the recent annual meeting of the Grand Lodge, the last fraction of the temple debt has been paid, and the fraternity freed from all its long standing indebtedness. And the Grand Lodge now stands for the first time since 1864, entirely free from debt."
Foremost in the fraternity during his many active years in Masonry, General Samuel C. Lawrence was our most illustrious and beneficent member. During those early times when Mount Hermon was a struggling infant and was being nurtured and strengthened into life, he, through his generous contributions and influence for good, will long be remembered. Never outwardly displaying his generosity, he was a helper of those on whom adversity had fallen, as evidenced by his establishment of the Samuel C. Lawrence Charity Fund. He was raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason in Hiram Lodge, West Cambridge, and was a charter member of Mount Hermon Lodge. General Lawrence was our sixth Worshipful Master, 1862-1865. He served the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts as its Grand Master in 1881, 1882 and 1883, during which time he carried into effect the liquidation of the debt resting on the Masonic Temple in Boston, making good a statement of his that: "The debt has got to be paid. The Masonic fraternity of Massachusetts cannot suffer the stigma of having its temple sold for debt."
In 1867 he was the foremost of those who united in harmonizing all interests and forming the present Supreme Council 33rd Degree Masons of the Northern Jurisdiction. As a student of the history of the various Masonic bodies, Most Worshipful Brother Lawrence had gathered together one of the most complete and valuable Masonic libraries in existence. These works were presented to the Grand Lodge and now comprise a considerable part of the Library in the Masonic Temple in Boston. The many and diverse activities in which General Lawrence achieved success and distinction had their source in untiring industry, mastery of details, and force of mind and character. Genial and courteous in his bearing, fair and just in his judgment of men and affairs, with loyal love for Medford and its institutions, he was honored as its first Mayor. At the time of his death he was the only surviving charter member.
Following in the footsteps of his distinguished father, R. W. William B. Lawrence was Master of the Lodge in 1887-1888. He was appointed District Deputy Grand Master, after which he was elected Right Worshipful Junior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge. Another member of this family, Wor. Rosewell B. Lawrence, served as Master in 1889-1890. He was a son of Wor. Daniel W. Lawrence, a Past Master of Joseph Warren Lodge of Boston and brother of General Lawrence.
In September, 1892, the Lodge suffered a stunning blow when fire swept the apartments. During the period of reconstruction, through the generous offer of Harmony Lodge, No. 68, I. O. O. F., the regular communications were held in the Odd Fellows Hall. The return to our newly furnished quarters on February 2, 1893, as noted in the records, was "marked with expressions of great pleasure and satisfaction, and the commodious hall with its artistic fittings and furniture and its harmonious colors throughout, each received remarks of praise and commendation."
One of our most beloved members, Bro. Harry J. Newhall, was made a Master Mason on January 3, 1884. He was appointed Tyler in January, 1892, and continued in that office until his death on July 14, 1939. As guardian of our outer portals, in his contacts with the members and visiting Brethren, he exemplified the true principles of a Mason. Bro. Newhall brought to us those gentler virtues of which friendship and love form the greater part. His love for his Lodge filled the larger part of his life and his memory will ever be an incentive to those of us who knew him.
The growth of Mount Hermon, in many respects, paralleled that of Medford. As Medford grew, so did the Lodge. At the time of our fiftieth anniversary in 1904, the membership ranks contained over 270. The next few years saw considerable prosperity and usefulness to the Craft.
While not intending to make any distinction in the raising of a candidate, yet the circumstances attending the raising of Bro. George Emery Green on March 5, 1908, were so unusual as to warrant special attention. It had been arranged that the relatives of Bro. Green should occupy the principal stations in the ceremonies attending this duty. In this connection Wor. Darius A. Green, the father of the candidate and a Past Master of Mount Hermon Lodge, was invited to preside in the East. Wor. Charles M. Green, a Past Master of the Lodge of St. Andrew and uncle of the candidate, acted as Senior Warden. Wor. Lorenzo L. Green, another uncle of the candidate, filled the station of Senior Deacon. Wor. George W. Green, another uncle, assumed the station of Marshal. Bro. Robert M. Green, of the Lodge of St. Andrew and a cousin of the candidate, acted as Junior Deacon. And last, but not least, Bro. George Bent Green, grandfather of the candidate, acted as Chaplain. Such a combination of officers and their relationship to the candidate formed a most interesting occasion, representing as it did, three generations. It may be noted here that Bro. Green later served as Master of the Lodge during 1921-1922 and was elected Treasurer 1930-1937. In 1930 he was appointed Grand Lecturer and at the time of preparing this history, it is pleasing to state that he is now known as Right Worshipful because of his appointment as Grand Representative of the Grand Lodge of New Mexico, and is still serving the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge as Grand Lecturer.
During World War I and for about ten years following, there were a large number of candidates. Because of this marked increase in applicants, it was necessary to hold special meetings every month, and the membership grew very rapidly. As further evidence of Masonic progress in this area during that period, a petition to form a new Lodge in West Medford was received on February 5, 1914. On March 5, 1914, it was voted that this request be granted. Thus Sagamore Lodge came into being.
Through the years, Mount Hermon has played a major role in arousing Masonic interest hereabouts and it was natural, therefore, that the proposal to form Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge should be made in 1920. Mount Hermon, along with Sagamore Lodge of West Medford, gave its consent, and in addition to furnishing many of the charter members, we contributed the new Lodge's first Worshipful Master, R. W. Charles B. Dunham.
For some years it was evident that the quarters then in use were inadequate for the needs of the Lodge. In 1914 a committee was appointed to consider the advisability of securing new and larger quarters, either by building a new temple or otherwise. In May, 1916, a Building Fund was established "to receive, acquire and accumulate funds for the purpose of providing convenient and suitable quarters." On April 5, 1923, on recommendation of the committee, it was voted to purchase the property at 24-30 High Street.
Extensive alterations and enlargement of the building were necessary; so R.W. Charles B. Dunham was retained as architect. In December, 1923, his plans were approved and the work on the present building was begun.
In November, 1924, we were forced by cold weather and the lack of heat in our old quarters, occupied for over seventy years, to hold meetings temporarily in the Elks' Building. Meanwhile, the work on our new temple was well under way but far from completion. In May, 1925, the weather being warmer, we returned to our old quarters.
The first meeting of the Lodge in the new temple was held in September, 192S, Wor. F. Irving Weston presiding. The beautiful lodge-room, spacious banquet hall, and other facilities, all were viewed with justifiable pride and a deep sense of accomplishment by the Brethren present at this occasion. The new organ, a magnificent gift from Royall Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, was played for the first time. The four beautiful pictures adorning our lodge-rooms walls were a gift of Wor. Philip A. Ferguson, a member of Mount Hermon and a Past Master of Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge. The electric clock in the North was given by Bro. William F. Wiltshire, a member of Sagamore Lodge. The rods, used by our deacons and stewards, were presented by Wor. Edward N. Brown, and the ashlers by R.W. George Emery Green. The clock in the banquet hall was a gift from Bro. Percy W. Richardson, and a beautiful tapestry for the ladies' room came unsolicited from Mr. George Barrows.
On December 21, 1925, our new Masonic building was dedicated in due and ancient form by Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell, assisted by the officers of the Grand Lodge.
Mount Hermon Lodge weathered the economic storms of the 1930's with enviable stability. True, many of our members were lost because of financial reverses, and revenue declined appreciably. Also the huge indebtedness on the temple caused further retrenchment. However, throughout this period we were able to deal with these difficulties.
It fell to the lot of Wor. William R. Paige to preside over the Lodge in 1938 during the remodeling of the ground floor. This was found necessary in order to increase the revenue of the building. Through his tireless efforts, this work was completed at no cost to the Lodge, and helped immeasurably in solving our financial problems. We cannot refrain at this time from mentioning Bro. Carrol H. Tiffany, who was of inestimable assistance to the Lodge as its architectural adviser during these alterations and who served without remuneration. Wor. William E. Scott served as Marshal from 1930 to 1950. He will be remembered by those who knew him for his genial, cordial and happy manner; for his good fellowship and strict attention to his Masonic duties. Let us remember Wor. Bro. Scott as one to whom the Lodge owes much for his faithful labors during the years he was actively with us.
The Lodge has been blessed with other faithful officials whose many terms in office testify to the appreciation of the Brethren of the manner in which they fulfilled the duties of their several positions: Rev. Bro. Henry C. DeLong, Chaplain for thirty years; Bro. George W. W. Saville, Secretary for five years and Marshal for twenty-three years; and Bro. Melville H. Blake, Organist for thirty-eight years. It is regrettable that space does not permit mention of many others who have given of their talents for the furtherance of Mount Hermon Lodge.
Several of our members, not heretofore recorded, were honored by the Grand Lodge by appointment as District Deputy Grand Master. They are as follows: R. W. Charles B. Dunham, R. W. Clifford M. Brewer, and R. W. Robert N. Spofford, R.W. Brother Spofford was appointed Senior Grand Deacon of the Grand Lodge and was elected Treasurer of Mount Hermon from 1938 to 1947. R.W. J. Gilman Waite served the Grand Lodge as Deputy Grand Master.
As an organization, the Lodge took a prominent part in the dedication of the Soldiers' Monument at Lake Grove Cemetery on September 6, 1866. It is also interesting to note that on November 10, 1912, the corner-stone of the Methodist Church on Winthrop Street was laid by Most Worshipful Everett C. Benton, assisted by the officers and members of Mount Hermon. Being part of a great fraternity whose members have contributed so much to the well-being of our country since its inception, it seems peculiarly fitting that we, as a Lodge, should have had the honor of presenting the original national flag to Post 45, American Legion, on Armistice Day, November 11, 1919. In March, 1924, Mount Hermon, together with the other Masonic bodies of Medford, contributed toward furnishing the reception room of the Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
No history of Mount Hermon Lodge would be complete without mention of Wor. Adam Murray. On termination of his office as Master in 1940, he was elected Secretary of the Lodge and has served in that capacity up to the present. His loyalty to and thorough understanding of the problems of the Lodge have proved of inestimable value to the officers with whom he has worked. Giving unstintingly of his time and energy, he has been ever alert to promote the best interests of the Lodge and is held in complete confidence and high esteem by the members. Not only is Wor. Brother Murray well known to the Brethren of the several Lodges in Medford, but his cheerful manner and high principles have won him a host of friends in the Craft throughout this whole jurisdiction. At this time the writer should like to acknowledge the valuable assistance given him by Wor. Brother Murray in compiling this treatise.
We hope you will find this brief history both informative and interesting. As we glance back over the years, how many pleasant memories gather around our hearts: the instructive and interesting meetings extending the beautiful lessons taught in Masonry; the initiation of new Brothers into our mysteries, thus adding link after link to the chain of earthly brotherhood.
And so, too, as we look back do we remember the sad occasions in which we have paid the last earthly rites to those of our Brethren who have been called to the Celestial Lodge above. These afford serious and solemn thoughts to the rational and thinking mind and stimulate us to perfect ourselves for the work which they have begun, and to which we in due time, at the call of the Supreme Architect of the Universe, shall be advanced. Thus endeth the first one hundred years.
CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, JANUARY 1856
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XV, No. 5, March 1856, Page 136:
This is a new Lodge, and has been working under a Dispensation for a little more than a year. Having thus ascertained from experience, that it would probably be able to sustain itself for the future, the Grand Lodge very cordially granted, it a charter, and on the 31st of January last it was solemnly consecrated by the M. W. Grand Master, assisted by several officers of the Grand Lodge. The ceremony of consecration was performed in accordance with the ancient ritual of the Craft, and to the great acceptance of all present. The officers of the Lodge were then installed by the R. W. Senior Grand Warden, Col. J. T. Heard, acting as Deputy Grand Master. The charges were then given with an exactness and propriety, and gracefulness of delivery, which we have rarely seen equalled.
The officers having been duly inducted into their proper places, the M. W. Grand Master briefly addressed the new Lodge in his usual happy and pertinent manner, giving them advice and counsel suited to the occasion. The Grand Lodge then retired and the Lodge was closed. After which the visiting Brethren, by invitation of the new Lodge, spent a social hour at the banqueting table.
Medford is one of our oldest and most beautiful suburban towns. It is also a place of much business and is rapidly increasing in population.
The present is the first Lodge ever established in the town ; and we are happy to add that it is well officered and starts on its career of usefulness under highly favorable auspices. It has our best wishes for its future prosperity. Its present officers are George Hervey, W. M.; Elisha Stetson, S. W.; Elbridge G. Currell, J. W.; Hiram Southworth, Treasurer; Samuel C. Lawrence, Secretary; C. B. Johnson, S. D.; C F. Merrill, J. D.; David Simpson, S. S.; Samuel W. Sanborn, J. S.; James Ford, T. The Lodge meets on Thursday after the full moon.
GRAND MASTER LEWIS' CHARGE
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XV, No. 9, July 1856, Page 269:
Having been in due and ample form constituted into a regular Lodge, and prepared to enter on the performance of duties, serious and important, —duties, as they may be well or ill executed, exercising a most influential character on Massachusetts Masonry; permit me to offer a few remarks at this onset of your career — some suggestions on the best policy of your future course — some cautions to guide your prospective path.
He who has the honor to address you, has been of the Order in times of its deepest adversity, participated in the sacrifices then demanded and cheerfully offered up, and has also been cheered by the bright culmination of its present meridian splendor. Thus aware of the quicksands of danger, as well as of the calm sea of prosperity — both requiring the careful navigator, — permit him to show you the track which leads to the haven where you would be, and ere you launch your untried bark, to furnish a few outfits, that your voyage shall be prosperous and happy. The Mason, like the mariner, has certain fixed points, — the first, a series of principles to guide him, from which he is not to deviate, and the other, conspicuous capes or projections, which, ever observing, can never mislead. With both, they are termed landmarks; and the career, whether of prosperity or adversity, depends on the strictness with which they are watched and their monitions followed. Our landmarks are not of sand, disappearing and washed away by storms, but immutable monuments, piled up on sure foundations, cemented by the best architects. On your course, keep these ever in view, direct your craft by their guidance. They will serve as beacons of light to point the voyage of every Masonic mariner, and improve the common sailor to the perfect Master.
The Constitution of the Grand Lodge may be termed the chart by which you are to be guided. Examine it carefully, follow its details and requirements, and on no account deviate from what is there laid down. It was prepared by the judgment and sagacity of the best and most experienced of our pilots, and the most venerable of our helmsmen; the result of long practical experience, and for the guidance of our ancient bark, which has ever stood A 1, on the Lloyd's Books of the Masonic World.
Seek not to increase the mere numerical force of your crew, for the show of numbers only. They burthen the vessel and impede its progress. They are in the way, ever. They are dead weights, and it is better to have a light ship with an onward course, than one laden heavily that can make no progress. Let your ship-list be made up of good men and true, worthy and well qualified.
Let them be well tried on their first voyage, apprentices duly entered into the mysteries of their profession, before assuming the responsibilities of a 2d mate; so that when raised to the high station of a Master, he may adorn his vocation, and strengthen his Craft.
From the non-observance of that wise maxim, "hasten slowly," how many have stumbled, become confused, and utterly useless ! They have shipped in a hurry, made a brief voyage, seen many objects, but remember none ; heard words which have left no impress, and reach the shore, without knowing a rope in the ship. To such the finis is a result, " stale, flat and unprofitable."
Under a nautical similitude, these " few words" are now addressed to you Consider their import, and steer by the compass which points to the right, and you will attain success. May your voyage be ever cheered by favoring gales and smooth seas—your ship well trimmed, ready for the storm as the calm, and may Heaven smile on your course, and conduct you to happiness here and hereafter.
OFFICER LIST, OCTOBER 1860
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XX, No. 2, December 1860, Page 64:
The following officers were unanimously elected, in Mount Hermon Lodge, Medford, Mass., in October last:—
- E. C. Baker, W. M.
- Saml. C. Lawrence, S. W.
- Martin C. Glover, J. W.
- H. Southworth, Treas.
- Geo. W. W. Saville, Sec.
- Wm. J. Crocker, S. D.
- Jas. H. Archibald, J. D.
- Danl. T. Tucker, S. S.
- Geo. Curtis, J. S.
- W. A. Staid, Chap.
- Benj. A. Hersey, Mar.
- Elisha Stetson, T.
INSTALLATION, OCTOBER 1861
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXI, No. 1, October 1861, Page 26:
A PLEASANT REUNION. Mount Hermon Lodge at Medford, celebrated its sixth anniversary, by a public installation of its officers, on Wednesday evening, the 30th October. There was a full attendance of members, and a large number of ladies as invited guests. The installation ceremonies were performed by the M.W. Grand Master, who was attended by several of the Grand Officers, in their regalia. It is quite unnecessary to say that the ceremonies were well performed, and to the acceptance of all present. The music, with which they were interspersed, was furnished by a select choir, and added much to the interest and pleasure of the occasion. At the conclusion of the ceremonies the M. W. Grand Master addressed the W. Master of the Lodge, Brother Elihu C. Baker, and the Wardens and members, in an appropriate and impressive manner, on their relative duties and obligations as Masons; concluding with a few words of welcome and compliment to the ladies.
The Lodge was then closed, and the members, with their invited guests, repaired to the Town Hall, where a bountiful and excellent supper was provided for their refreshment, and to which all were cordially welcomed by the W. Master of the Lodge At the table, short addresses were made by the Master, the M. W. Grand Master, and other members of the Grand Lodge. The choir also favored the company with a patriotic and other appropriate songs. The occasion was one to be remembered. The arrangements were admirably made and executed. AH were pleased and for the time at least made happy.
The Lodge is in a fine condition, with accomplished and talented officers, and a full share of work. We tender our best wishes for its continued prosperity and consequent usefulness.
INSTALLATION, JANUARY 1878
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. I, No. 10, January 1878, Page 320:
At a Special Communication of Mount Hermon Lodge of F. and A. M., held Wednesday evening, January 2d, the following officers were duly installed by D. D. Gr. M. John Viall: Darius A. Green, M. ; Herbert A. Reed, S. W. ; Edward W. Hayes, J. W.; George B. Green, Treasurer; Parker R. Litchfield, Secretary; J. Fred Hannah, S. D.; William L. Vinal, J. D.; James O. Goodwin, S. S.; Charles W. Black, J. S.; Smith B. Harrington, Chaplain; Luther F. Brooks, Mar.; Benjamin Pace, Tyler. After the installation services a collation was served.
For the information of Brethren who have not been fortunate enough to meet with their fellows in Medford, we desire to say, that for a genuine exhibition or the social virtues, and for the self-experience of how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity, Medford Masons are conspicuous.
INSTALLATION, JANUARY 1879
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. II, No. 10, January 1879, Page 317:
At a Regular Communication of Mount Hermon Lodge, held at Masonic Hall, Medford, on the 2d of January, the following officers were regularly Installed, by the retiring Master, W. Bro. Darius A. Green: Herbert A. Reed, W. M.; Edward W. Hayes, S. W.; James F. Hannah, J. W.; George B. Green, Treasurer; Parker R. Litchfield, Sec.; Darius A. Green, Chaplain; Wm. A. Webber, Organist; Wm. L. Vinal, S. D.; Charles W. Black, J. D.; James F. Richardson, S. S.; A. Byron Reed, J. S.; Luther F. Brooks, Marshal; Louis T. Graves, I. S.; Benjamin Pace, Tyler.
After the Installation, the first Degree was worked by the new officers in a very excellent manner, and the Collation at the close was worked in a very HEARTY manner by all the Brethren.
LADIES' NIGHT, FEBRUARY 1891
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. XIV, No. 11, February 1891, Page 351:
Merry Medford Masons.— The brethren have a kind of family way of doing things in Medford, as the following is in line. On the evening of February 10th, at the Opera House in Medford, there was gathered a merry party consisting of members of the Masonic fraternity, their families and lady friends. The occasion was the annual ladies' night given by Mt. Hermon Lodge, and previous to the terpsichorean features, an excellent concert programme was rendered by Miss Annabelle Clark, the Mozart Quartette and Hadley's Orchestra. Dancing was commenced shortly after 9 o'clock, in charge of the following gentlemen: Floor manager, J. G. Waite aids, W. B. Lawrence, J. W. Rockwell, W. A. Thompson, W. P. Martin, W. L. Hall, Oliver Whyte, G. T. Sampson, E. W. Mitchell.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Clifford M. Brewer, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1917, 1918; Memorial
- Michael A. Brown, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1990, 1991
- William W. Cruwys, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1960, 1961; N
- Charles B. Dunham, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1908; N
- Smith B. Harrington, DDGM, District 17 (Woburn), 1873, 1874; SN
- H. Paul Hokanson, Jr., DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1968, 1969; N
- Frank J. Kautz, II, DDGM, District 3, 2015
- Samuel Crocker Lawrence, Senior Grand Marden 1870, Grand Master 1881-1883
- William B. Lawrence, 1890; Junior Grand Warden 1902
- Robert N. Spofford, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1935, 1936; N
- J. Gilman Waite, Deputy Grand Master 1903
- Charles D. Archibald; Memorial
- Sewall A. Frank; Biography
- George B. Green, Memorial
- Lorenzo L. Green; Memorial
- Alfred Haskell; Memorial
- John P. Hutchins; Memorial
- William Parker Jones; Memorial
- Parker R. Litchfield; Memorial
- James P. Richardson; Memorial
The curator for this page is Brother Frank J. Kautz II. Please direct informational updates and questions to him.