Difference between revisions of "GoldenFleece"

From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search
(75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1940)
Line 268: Line 268:
 
* October 17, 1927. The Lodge was honored with a visit from Worshipful Brother Thomas J. Clarke, of the Lodge of the Golden Fleece, No. 2081, of Leicester, England, this being the first time we have entertained, in Lodge, a member from our sister Lodge in England.
 
* October 17, 1927. The Lodge was honored with a visit from Worshipful Brother Thomas J. Clarke, of the Lodge of the Golden Fleece, No. 2081, of Leicester, England, this being the first time we have entertained, in Lodge, a member from our sister Lodge in England.
 
* JuIy 2, 1929. Special meeting to observe Lynn Tercentenary Anniversary. As special guests the Lodge entertained members of the Craft among the officers and enlisted men of the warships ''Cincinnati'', ''Overton'' and ''King'', which were at anchor off Lynn Harbor. An interesting historical and patriotic address was delivered by M.W. [http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMFerrell Dudley Hays Ferrell].
 
* JuIy 2, 1929. Special meeting to observe Lynn Tercentenary Anniversary. As special guests the Lodge entertained members of the Craft among the officers and enlisted men of the warships ''Cincinnati'', ''Overton'' and ''King'', which were at anchor off Lynn Harbor. An interesting historical and patriotic address was delivered by M.W. [http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMFerrell Dudley Hays Ferrell].
* April 23, 1935. The passing from all earthly activities of Worshipful G. Sidney Macfarlane, Master in 1899, Secretary
+
* April 23, 1935. The passing from all earthly activities of Worshipful G. Sidney Macfarlane, Master in 1899, Secretary since 1906, "Beloved by all his brethren."
since 1906, "Beloved by all his brethren."
+
 
* December 21, 1936. Initiation fees changed from $100.00 to $60.00.
 
* December 21, 1936. Initiation fees changed from $100.00 to $60.00.
  

Revision as of 17:20, 24 December 2012

GOLDEN FLEECE LODGE

Location: Lynn

Chartered By: William Parkman

Charter Date: 12/13/1865 VII-40

Precedence Date: 02/11/1865

Current Status: Active


PAST MASTERS

  • Timothy G. Senter, 1865, 1866
  • Alonzo C. Blethen, 1867
  • George F. Breen, 1868, 1869; SN
  • James A. Hollis, 1870, 1871
  • William H. Collins, 1872, 1873
  • Elbridge B. Staples, 1874
  • T. Fredrick Martini, 1875, 1876
  • Marcus M. Staples, 1877, 1878
  • George H. Allen, 1879, 1880
  • Sylvester H. Nourse, 1881, 1882
  • Thomas H. Magee, 1883
  • Nathan B. Fletcher, 1884, 1885; SN
  • Charles E. Lewis, 1886, 1887
  • William A. Estes, 1887, 1888
  • Miles S. Hart, 1889, 1890
  • Charles W. Carkin, 1891, 1892
  • Robert E. Ramsdell, 1893, 1894
  • William E. Hudson, 1895, 1896
  • Frank P. Bubier, 1897, 1898
  • G. Sidney MacFarlane, 1899
  • Howard K. Sanderson, 1900, 1901
  • Addison L. Osborne, 1902, 1903
  • True B. Curtis, 1904, 1905
  • Amos C. Day, 1906
  • Lewis S. Urquhart, 1907
  • William H. Nash, 1908, 1909
  • David G. Bartlet, 1910, 1911; Mem
  • Harry E. Stilphen, 1912
  • John J. MacKenzie, 1913, 1914
  • Elmer B. Dyer, 1915, 1916
  • Fred A. Trafton, 1917, 1918
  • Arthur E. Harriman, 1919, 1920
  • Stacey R. Burckes, 1921
  • Kendall A. Sanderson, 1922, 1923; N
  • John C. Clendenin, 1924, 1925
  • Ralph C. Curtis, 1926, 1927
  • Homer D. Ricker, 1928, 1929
  • C. Harry Hannaford, 1930, 1931
  • G. Douglas Willett, 1932, 1933
  • Roger L. Currant, 1934, 1935
  • Harry A. Hemmingway, 1936, 1937
  • Raymond E. Neal, 1938, 1939; N
  • Richard J. Black, 1940, 1941
  • Carroll B. French, 1942, 1943; N
  • Herman W. Smart, 1944, 1945
  • Edwin A. Thompson, 1946
  • Luther D. Crowley, 1947, 1948
  • Chester A. Brown, 1949, 1950
  • Donald H. Knowlton, 1951, 1952
  • James C. Curns, 1953, 1954
  • William R. Russell, 1955
  • Lawrence E. Patten, 1956, 1957
  • John W. Perrin, 1958, 1959
  • Leslie W. Bissett, 1960, 1961; N
  • Fred W. Mellon, 1962, 1963
  • Robert A. Miller, 1964, 1965
  • William P. Langmaid, 1966, 1967
  • Eugene C. Triffitt, 1968
  • William R. Gordon, 1969, 1970
  • Richard R. Clarke, 1971, 1972
  • Alvin W. Lyon, 1973, 1974
  • Edward R. McGough, 1975
  • Arthur G. Darrah, 1976, 1977
  • Robert L. Spinney, 1978, 1979; N
  • Paul A. Howard, 1980, 1981
  • Bruce K. Savery, Sr., 1982, 1983
  • Thurlow H. Wright, 1984, 1985
  • John W. Burt, 1986, 1987; PDDGM
  • Laurence A. Burt, Jr., 1988, 1989
  • Richard S. MacInnis, 1990, 1991, 1997
  • Earl N. Spurr, 1992, 1993
  • Daniel E. Soper, 1994, 1995
  • Gerald D. Spinney, 1996
  • Wayne S. Emmons, 1998, 1999
  • Richard D. Parker, 2000, 2001
  • Leon H. Small, 2002, 2003, 2009, 2010
  • Warren R. Davis, 2004, 2005, 2006, PDDGM
  • Herbert H. French, Jr., 2007, 2008
  • Richard D. Parker, 2010, 2011, 2012, PDDGM

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition for Dispensation: 1865
  • Petition for Charter: 1865

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1940 (75th Anniversary)
  • 1965 (Centenary)
  • 1990 (125th Anniversary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1869 1870 1872 1874 1882 1883 1884 1889 1897 1898 1902 1911 1912 1914 1918 1920 1936 1945 1948 1954 1955 1966 1968 1976 1981 2000 2005 2007 2010

HISTORY

  • 1940 (75th Anniversary History, 1940-67; see below)
  • 1965 (Centenary History, 1965-38)
  • 1990 (There is a 125th Anniversary History, but it is not included in the Proceedings)

75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1940

by Wor. Harry A. Hemingway.

The foundations of Golden Fleece Lodge were laid during the closing days of the war for the preservation of the Union. The founders were men who had stood together in a great crisis - a crisis that threatened, for the time being, the integrity of the Union. It was but natural, therefore, that these men should cherish a deep and abiding regard for each other. Their mantles, we are proud to say, have descended upon our shoulders, and the feelings of brotherly love that pervade our Lodge today make its fellowship like that of a great, loyal, and happy family.

The Charter of Golden Fleece Lodge bears the names of 32 Master Masons. Thirty of these men came out from Mount Carmel Lodge, bringing with them the high ideals and noble traditions of the honored mother of local Masonry. These 30 men were not "come-outers" - they were not seceders -secession had become dangerous in those days, and men of Golden Fleece had helped to make it so. There were no factional differences. Golden Fleece was organized that Masonic principles might be the more effectively promoted, just as a year later William Sutton Lodge, of Saugus, was started, and still later Damascus, Wayfarers, Bethlehem, and Benjamin F. Arrington.

The original name of the Lodge was The Lodge of the Golden Fleece and by authority of a Dispensation of the Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, dated February 13, 1865, the first meeting was held in a building, at the corner of Market and Tremont Streets, on the site of the Y.M.C.A.

Its first Master was Timothy G. Senter, a well-known educator. The Senior Warden was Alonzo C. Blethen, and John G. Dudley was Junior Warden. The other elective officers were A. Scudder Moore, Treasurer, and William B. Phillips, Secretary, the latter serving the Lodge in that station for 30 years.

On December 19, 1865, by permission of the Grand Lodge an informal meeting was held to elect officers and act on the By-Laws as modified by the Grand Lodge. At this meeting it was voted, "that Tuesday evening next be appointed for the Consecration of the Lodge and the installation of the officers," and it was also voted, l'that the first three officers of Mount Carmel Lodge be invited", a custom that has ever since prevailed.

On Tuesday, December 26, 1865, a Special Communication of the Lodge was held for the reception of the Charter and the consecration of the Lodge. The Lodge was opened on the Master Mason Degree, and was consecrated according to ancient custom, by Grand Master William Parkman and other officers of the Grand Lodge, under the name of Golden Fleece Lodge.

The following ofHcers were then installed by the Grand Master:

  • Worshipful Master: Timothy G. Senter
  • Senior Warden: Alonzo C. Blethen
  • Junior Warden: James F. Hartshorne, Jr.
  • Treasurer: George B. Tolman
  • Secretary: William B. Phillips
  • Chaplain: Charles W. Biddle
  • Marshal: William H. Kimball
  • Senior Deacon: James D. Alley
  • Junior Deacon: Henry O. Burrill
  • Senior Steward: Warren Tapley
  • Junior Steward: Ezekiel F. Estes
  • Inside Sentinel: William R. Badger
  • Tyler: George T. Estes

Following the ceremonies of consecration and installation the Brethren, to the number of 100, proceeded to Exchange Hall, where a sumptuous banquet was enjoyed. There was speaking by Grand Master Parkman, Deputy Grand Master [http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMDame Charles C. Dame], Senior Grand Warden-elect William Sutton, Brothers Hunt and Norris of Salem, Brother Newhall of Mount Carmel Lodge, and others. There was also singing by Worshipful Brother Carroll, of Mount Carmel Lodge, and Worshipful Brothers Norris and Bacheller, of Salem.

The ceremonies were brought to a close, (in Captain Phillips' own words) "At eleven o'clock and thirty minutes, after an interchange of fraternal gratulations, they repaired to their several abodes, refreshed from the feast of reason and flow of soul, as well as invigorated from the bounties of nature's bosom."

Our fiftieth anniversary was observed with two meetings, one held on Sunday, February 14,1915, at the First Congregational Church, Lynn, at which there were assembled about 900 Masons. The next evening, Monday, February 15, 1915, the 895th Communication (stated) of Golden Fleece was held at Masonic Hall, Lynn, a Lodge of Master Masons being opened in form at 5:10 o'clock, with the following named Brethren occupying the several stations:

  • Worshipful Master: Elmer B. Dyer
  • Senior Warden: Fred A. Trafton
  • Junior Warden: Arthur E. Harriman
  • Secretary: G. Sidney MacFarlane
  • Chaplain: George Wood
  • Marshal: James C. Tucker
  • Senior Deacon: Harry T. Bates
  • Junior Deacon: Stacey R. Burckes
  • Senior Steward: Ralph C. Broad
  • Junior Steward: Kendall A. Sanderson
  • Inside Sentinel: Leon F. Thompson
  • Tyler: Winfred M. Sanborn

The Treasurer, Worshipful George H. Allen, was absent.

The Worshipful Master was presented with a bouquet of 50 roses, commemorating the 50th anniversary, the gift of Worshipful Harry R. Stanbon, Master of William Sutton Lodge of Saugus. A cablegram was received from the Lodge of the Golden Fleece, Leicester, England, ending "hearty good wishes and fraternal greetings." The Lodge was closed in form at five o'clock and thirty minutes.

The Brethren with their friends and other invited guests assembled at Casino Hall, Summer Street, Lynn, where a banquet of about 700 plates was served by Brother Andrew Schlehuber. The Lodge was greatly honored by the presence of Most Worshipful Melvin Maynard Johnson, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, and a very large suite of distinguished Grand Lodge Officers, together with other distinguished Masons of this vicinity. Inspiring addresses were made, and during the course of his address, the Grand Master presented Henry Price jewels to Brother Charles Allen Taber and Worshipful Brother Everett H. Newhall, our only Charter Members.

About midnight the members and their guests dispersed to their several homes in the midst of a violent rainstorm. And now, tonight in the celebration of our 75th Anniversary, we are again greatly honored by the presence of the Grand Lodge and being permitted, each one of us, to attend a Special Communication of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

During out 75 years existence, there have been admitted into our Lodge 1622 members. 488 have passed to the Celestial Lodge above, and 792 have dimitted to take up their Masonic homes elsewhere. The largest number of candidates raised in any one year was 137 in 1920 and the smallest number was 1 in 1933 and also 1 in 1934, with an average of 21.6 per year for the 75 years, compared with 18.6 for 50 years.

Forty-three members have been honored by election to the office of Worshipful Master, of whom 14 are living. The Lodge has had 9 Treasurers and 7 Secretaries. We have members in 19 States, as well as the District of Columbia, Philippine Islands, Canada and Australia. The Lodge has been honored by the appointments of 4 Disrict Deputy Grand Masters from our membership, and 1 Grand Master was an Honorary Member of Golden Fleece Lodge until his death. Six of our members have been advanced to the 33rd degree:

  • Worshipful Brother Allen
  • Worshipful Brother Osborne
  • Worshipful Brother Ramsdell
  • Worshipful Brother Stilphen
  • Brother Pierce
  • Brother Marden

We have the unique distinction of having two sets of fathers and sons, who have been Past Masters:

  • Worshipful Brothers True and Ralph Curtis
  • Worshipful Brothers Howard and Kendall Sanderson.

The number of members in the Lodge today is 799.

In Retrospect:-

  • September 18, 1886. Initiation fee raised from $25.00 to $35.00.
  • October 15, 1867. Past Master Timothy G. Senter tendered Honorary Membership.
  • January 30, 1871. Public Installation by Worshipful Brother William C. Maxwell, Past Master of Mount Carmel Lodge, assisted by Brother George H. Allen.
  • December 29, 1873. The Lodge presented Past Master George F. Breed with a Past Master's jewel to replace the one

Iost in the great Boston fire.

  • July 1, 1875. First Masonic burial by the Lodge over the remains of Brother Charles Francis Lewis.
  • November 15, 1875. Annual Visitation: T. Frederick Martin, Master, at which 200 were present and which was followed by a "rare entertainment of singing, declamation, music, and ventriloquism of the first order, which was highly appreciated by the Brethren as not a Brother left the Lodge Room until twelve o'clock and thirty minutes."
  • May 4, 1896. About 80 members of the Massachusetts Legislature were present as guests and assisted in the work.
  • July 23, 1898. Accompanied by Olivet Commandery and Mount Carmel Lodge the Lodge acted as escort to the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge at the laying of the cornerstone of the Lynn Public Library.
  • December 31, 1900. Special meeting, followed by banquet. At 11.50 o'clock the Brethren to the number of 150 formed a double circle around the altar and at 12 o'clock midnight Brother Joseph C. Norton sounded taps on the cornet, Brother George Wood, Chaplain, offered up a suitable prayer and the Brethren all joined in singing "America,"after whlch three cheers were given for Golden Fleece Lodge and the New Century.
  • January 15, 1903. Public Installation by Most Worshipful Baalis Sanford, Grand Master, and Frank W. Mead, Grand Marshal. Guests: Governor John L. Bates, Lieutenant-Governor Curtis Guild, Jr., Mayor Henry W. Eastham, District Deputy Grand Master George E. Fenn.
  • June 25, 1905. Saint John the Baptist Day. Attended divine service at the East Baptist Church on the invitation of our Chaplain, Rev. Arthur E. Harriman.
  • June 21, 1909. Voted "that the sum of $100.00 be appropriated for fitting out a room at the Masonic Home at Charlton, Mass."
  • October 17, 1910. First meeting in the renovated apartments.
  • March 18, 1912. Initiation fee changed from $50.00 to $60.00.
  • April 7, 1913. Fraternal visit by Most Worshipful Everett C. Benton, Grand Master, and other Masons of prominence.
  • September 21, 1914. Voted to send the sum of $100.00 to the Grand Master for the "Rainy Day Fund" of the Masonic Home.
  • May 21, 1917. Upon motion it was voted "That the Lodge dispense with all refreshments and other luxuries until we meet in September, the amount of money approximately so saved. to constitute a fund to be called 'Golden Fleece Lodge War Fund', the same to be used as the Committee on Finance may direct."
  • November 19, 1917. A circular letter from the Most Worshipful Grand Master upon the subject of the Masonic War Relief Fund was read, and upon motion it was unanimously voted to send to the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge War Relief Committee all the money in the Golden Fleece Lodge War Fund.
  • June 21,1920. Initiation fee raised to $100.00.
  • December 20, 1920. The Annual meeting, at which it was announced that there had been 54 meetings during the year and 137 candidates raised.
  • October 17, 1927. The Lodge was honored with a visit from Worshipful Brother Thomas J. Clarke, of the Lodge of the Golden Fleece, No. 2081, of Leicester, England, this being the first time we have entertained, in Lodge, a member from our sister Lodge in England.
  • JuIy 2, 1929. Special meeting to observe Lynn Tercentenary Anniversary. As special guests the Lodge entertained members of the Craft among the officers and enlisted men of the warships Cincinnati, Overton and King, which were at anchor off Lynn Harbor. An interesting historical and patriotic address was delivered by M.W. Dudley Hays Ferrell.
  • April 23, 1935. The passing from all earthly activities of Worshipful G. Sidney Macfarlane, Master in 1899, Secretary since 1906, "Beloved by all his brethren."
  • December 21, 1936. Initiation fees changed from $100.00 to $60.00.

OTHER

  • 1894 (Participation in Nahant cornerstone laying, 1894-41)
  • 1898 (Participation in Lynn cornerstone laying, 1898-111)
  • 1904 (Participation in Lynn cornerstone laying, 1904-75)
  • 1911 (Participation in Swampscott cornerstone laying, 1911-235)
  • 1912 (Participation in Nahant cornerstone laying, 1912-62)
  • 1936 (Reduction in fees refused, 1936-130; approved, 1936-248)

GRAND LODGE OFFICERS


DISTRICTS

1864: District 2

1867: District 5 (Salem)

1883: District 7 (Lynn)

1911: District 8 (Lynn)

1927: District 8 (Lynn)

2003: District 9


LINKS

Massachusetts Lodges