- 1 DORIC LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 EVENTS
- 2.7 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.8 OTHER BROTHERS
- 2.9 DISTRICTS
- 2.10 LINKS
Chartered By: William Parkman
Charter Date: 12/14/1864 IV-16
Precedence Date: 12/28/1863
Current Status: unknown. Merged with United Brethren Lodge, 05/13/2003.
- Philip D. Millay, 1863-1866
- James L. Harriman, 1867-1869; SN
- August S. Trowbridge, 1870-71
- Willard Houghton, 1872
- Lyman Morse, 1873, 1876, 1879
- Parkman Nourse, 1877, 1878
- Edward P. Miles, 1880, 1884
- John F. Woods, 1885, 1886
- Francis Howe, 1887, 1888
- Joel M. Pettengill, 1889
- Fred O. Walsh, 1890, 1891
- Henry B. Whitcomb, 1892
- Stevens A. Holt, 1893, 1894; SN
- Eugene P. Lawrence, 1895
- Fred F. Trull, 1896, 1898; SN
- Whitney G. Brigham, 1899
- Fred S. Rowell, 1900, 1901
- Arthur L. Cundall, 1902, 1903
- George A. Reardon, 1904
- G. Arthur Packard, 1905, 1906
- Walter E. Carver, 1907, 1908
- Herbert A. Knight, 1909, 1910
- Norman M. Hunter, 1911, 1912
- Edwin B. Woodbury, 1913, 1914; N
- J. Arthur Wood, 1915, 1916; Mem
- Phares D. Frazel, 1917, 1918
- G. Woodbury Parker, 1919, 1920
- Alvah W. Morse, 1921, 1922
- Robert S. Osterbout, 1923
- William L. Persons, 1924
- John Cambridge, 1925
- A. George Gillman, 1926
- Zobeth H. Woodbury, 1927
- Walter A. Boyd, 1928
- Malvin P. Wade, 1929
- John Coolidge, 1930
- Melvin P. Mitchell, 1931
- Millard A. Fillmore, 1932
- Fred H. Fosgate, 1933; N
- Ralph S. Sullivan, 1934
- Lloyd L. Parker, 1935
- Everett G. Ricker, 1936; Mem
- Everett A. Trumpolt, 1937
- Russell C. Holden, 1938
- G. Donald Meserve, 1939
- Howard H. Pratt, 1940
- Henry L. Ricker, 1941
- Robert H. Wilcox, 1942
- Robert T. Dawes, 1943
- Edward H. Bryant, Jr., 1944
- Walter E. Anderson, 1945
- Kenneth S. Rand, 1946
- Jonas E. Carter, 1947
- Vinson A. Salter, 1948
- Robert Wordsworth, 1949
- Donald F. Whitney, 1950
- Gerald M. Houghton, 1951
- Ellsworth G. Sawyer, 1952
- Richard A. Brown, 1953; SN
- Oscar H. Collette, 1954
- Wilfred D. Graves, 1955
- Irving H. Dinner, 1956
- Fred L. Clark, 1957
- John A. Kennedy, 1958
- Norman J. Wheeler, 1959
- Donald H. Wheeler, 1960
- Donald R. Sowden, 1961
- Donald M. Sleeper, 1962
- Herbert D. Giddings, 1963
- Robert F. Wade, 1964
- Thomas A. Chapman, 1965
- A. Lloyd Hodder, 1966
- Donald F. Mott, 1967
- Willard E. Walcott, 1968
- John A. Welch, 1969
- George C. Oliver, 1970; SN
- Robert E. Babcock, 1971
- Robert E. Publicover, 1972
- Dalton Thorn, 1973
- Douglas H. Phipps, 1974
- George T. Bailey, 1975
- M. Ralph Dieter, 1976
- Jack W. Wicker, 1977
- George L. Burnet, Sr., 1978
- Edward T. Williams, 1979
- Robert H. Luther, 1980
- Douglas C. Wildes, 1981
- John E. Wilson, 1982
- Ernest E. Wilson, 1983
- Charles T. Bancroft, 1984
- Gordon C. Lovell, 1985
- Frederick L. Elliott, 1986, 1991
- Kent H. Hartig, 1987
- Stephen A. McDonald, 1988
- Rene A. Duval, 1989
- Kevin L. Carter, 1990
- Herbert J. Simpson, 1991
- Timothy A. Cleveland, 1992
- Edward R. Adams, Jr., 1993-1995
- Edward A. Campbell, 1996, 1997, 2002
- Gary S. Dermugrditchian, 1998, 1999
- Louis Nason, 2000, 2001
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1864 (dated 12/28/1863)
- Petition for Charter: 1864
- Consolidation Petition (with United Brethren Lodge): 2002
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1865 (Parkman; Hall dedication; see description below)
- 1872 (Nickerson; Hall dedication)
- 1881 (Lawrence)
- 1882 (Lawrence)
- 1896 (Holmes; Hall dedication)
- 1924 (Ferrell)
- 1938 (Perry; 75th Anniversary)
- 1963 (Deputy Grand Master Vose; Centenary)
- 1989 (Ames; 125th Anniversary)
- 2003 (Hicks; consolidation with United Brethren Lodge)
75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, DECEMBER 1938
From Proceedings, Page 1938-436:
by Rt. Wor. J. Arthur Wood
A period of seventy-five years has elapsed since we have the first record of a meeting of the Masonic fraternity in Hudson (then Feltonville) and, like the history of every growing New England community, these years have brought about many and important changes, the events of which would make an interesting volume to those who have become a part of the place by long continuance here, and Doric Lodge, being one of the oldest organizations having its birth in the new town, has an interesting history of its own.
From a small company of Master Masons, working under a Dispensation granted by Grand Master Parkman with the consent of United Brethren Lodge of Marlboro, the organization has grown to a membership of one hundred eighty-seven, embracing within its fold nearly every professional and business man in town.
Unfortunately the incompleteness of the early records fails to give us the place of the first meeting, and the length of time intervening has caused the recollection of it to go from the minds of the oldest members. Of the original fifteen who gave their support to the new Lodge, all have passed away.
The first meeting is supposed to have been held in Mason's Hall, Chase Block. . From the records it would appear that some time previous to removal to the Unitarian Church, meetings were held in Houghton's Hall, near where the coal sheds on the Fitchburg Railroad are now located. The first meeting, to make preliminary arrangements for an organization, was held October 2,1863. The Lodge was instituted December 28, 1863, and the following officers were duly seated:
- W.M., P. E. Millay
- S.W., E. M. Taylor
- J.W., W. W. Claffiin
- S.D., C. E. Hall
- J.D., A. K. Graves
- Treas., Willard Houghton
- Sec., Edwin Amsden
- Chaplain, L. T. Jefts
- Marshal, George Houghton
- S.S., C. M. Robinson
- J.S., W.L. Witham
- Tyler, O. F. Rollins.
The other members of the lodge were G. W. Warfield, Lorenzo Stratton, and W. C. Hazeltine.
The winter of 1864 was devoted principally to the exemplification of the work of the order, preparatory to the initiation of candidates later on. The first step looking to increased membership took place on the evening of March 21, 1864, when George O. Bradley, James S. Welsh, Augustus Rice, and William H. Stone were accepted for the degrees. Mr. Bradley was the first one honored with a degree in the Lodge and William F. Brigham was the first to receive the Master Mason degree at the hands of the new officers. Bro. James S. Welsh was the second to receive the third degree.
In August of this year it was the misfortune of the Lodge to lose by death its beloved S.W., W. W. Claflin, who, from the first, had been an active and earnest supporter of the movement to establish a Masonic body in this town.
In the autumn of the year of which we write the indications of a large growth were so promising that steps were taken to secure better and more adequate quarters in a hall being furnished, in the upper story of the Unitarian Church and, upon inspection by a committee, it was promptly voted to take a three-year lease of the premises. Six hundred dollars was borrowed to furnish the same and, on the evening of January 19, 1865, the Masonic Fraternity of Hudson, with their ladies, assembled in the new Lodge-rooms and joined in the interesting exercises of constituting and consecratiirg the same, which ceremony was performed in ample form by the officers of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. At the conclusion of this interesting service the company repaired to the audience room of the church where the newly elected officers were duly installed. A banquet in the hall below followed the exercises and congratulatory speeches were indulged in by visitors and others.
Wor. Bro. Milay, at the expiration of three years' faithful service, during which time he initiated into the mysteries of Masonry, fifty-one Brothers, surrendered the gavel to James L. Harriman, whose reign of ofice continued for three years more, the Lodge meanwhile growing in numbers and popularity. Thirty-one more members were added to the Secretary's roll while he held jurisdiction over the Lodge.
Wor. Bro. Harriman was succeeded by Augustus S. Trowbridge. The Lodge membership had now increased to nearly one hundred and advanced to one hundred twenty-five while he occupied the East. The term of this office was like his predecessors) three years in length, and was marked by noteworthy changes in the history of the Lodge, the most important one being the leasing and occupation of new Lodge-rooms. Arrangements were made to take over the third floor of the new Town Hall building and a twenty-year lease was taken of the prernises at an annual rental of $500. Trinity Commandery, K. T., assisted in paying the rental by sub-leasing the rooms. But the expense of finishing and furnishing the same was borne by the Lodge, leaving it heavily in debt. When ready for occupancy, the arrangements and finish of the rooms and elegance of furnishings made it what was considered among the best Masonic headquarters in the State, and it was pronounced by visitors, both far and near, as such.
The Lodge moved into and occupied the new quarters for the first time on'the evening of Sept. 76, 1872, at which time arrangements were made for the dedicatory exercises, which occurred on the 18th of October. Elaborate preparations were made for the occasion, the following Masonic bodies, including Doric Lodge, participating in the exercises: United Brethren Lodge, of Marlboro. Trinity Lodge, of Clinton, Charles A. Welch Lodge, of Maynard, Trinity Commandery K. T., of Hudson, and Hugh DePayens Commandery, of Melrose.
The dedicatory services were performed by Most Worshipful Brother Sereno D. Nickerson, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, and his suite, in conformity with the ancient forms and usages of Masonry. At the conclusion of the dedicatory exercises a magnificent banquet, furnished largely through the instrumentality of the ladies, was provided in the Town Hall and over 500 were bountifully fed from the tables. The day was a red letter one to the Masons of Hudson and long to be remembered in the annals of Doric Lodge.
At the expiration of Brother Trowbridge's term of office in 1873, Willard Houghton was elected to fill the place, who, declining a re-election at the expiration of his term, was succeeded by Lyman Morse. For four successive years, from 1873 to 1877, Brother Morse filled the place of Master of the Lodge with that faithfulness, earnestness, and zeal which characterized his life, and, at the expiration of Parkman Nourse's term, from 1877 to 1879, he again assumed control of the gavel, completing his five years of service for the Lodge in 1880.
Edward P. Miles followed Brother Morse with a five-year term, initiating thirty-seven candidates into the Mysteries of Masonry. During John F. Wood's one-year service as Master, immediately following Brother Miles, the Lodge extricated itself from debt, a freedom it had not before experienced.
From 1886 to 1887, Walter H. Small was in the East, the Lodge fourishing under his jurisdiction. The two following years the Lodge was presided over by Francis Howe, an earnest and faithful officer. The Master's place, for the next three years, was filled by Joel M. Pettingill for one year and Fred O. Welsh for two years. Under their reigns the Lodge retained its reputation for superior work. Their successors were Henry B. Whitcomb in 1892 and 1893, S. A. Holt from 1893 to 1895, and Eugene P. Lawrence from 1895 to 1896. At the annual election in September 1896, F'red F. Trull was chosen to fill the Oriental Chair.
At the regular meeting of the Lodge Jan. 27, 1896, the Trustees reported that they had taken a fifteen-year lease of quarters in the new Savings Bank building and, at the same meeting, Brother S. A. Holt, G. P. Keith, and G. B. Cochran, were appointed a committee to furnish and decorate the new rooms.
The first meeting of the Lodge held in these rooms was on September 14, 1896. Arrangements for dedicatory exercises were made by appointing Wor. Brothers J. L. Harriman, S. A. Holt, and John F. Wood a committee to make such arrangements as they might deem advisable, and November 11 was selected for the occasion. The little band of fifteen Charter members had grown into a fourishing Lodge of 225, and with brightest hopes for the future.
Following Fred F. Trull as Master came Whitney G. Brigham, Fred S. Rowell, Arthur L. Cundall, George A. Reardon, George A. Packard, Walter B. Carver, Herbert A. Knight, and Norman M. Hunter, all of whom maintained the standard set by their predecessors.
Next in line was Erwin B. Woodbury and during his term the fiftieth anniversary of Doric Lodge was celebrated, Monday evening, Jan. 12, 1914. It was one of the largest gatherings Doric Lodge has ever had, yet efficient committee management carried the arrangements through to a successful completion without a hitch.
At 7.15 a line of march was formed, headed by Worshipful Master and Mrs. Erwin B. Woodbury, followed by past Masters and ladies, and then the remainder of the guests, 343 in all. Despite the number to dine, there was an abundance of food and all were well supplied.
At 8.15 Worshipful Master Woodbury rapped for order, all having returned to the Lodge-room. He extended a welcome to the guests and at once introduced Rt. Wor. Bro. Fred F.. Trull, who gave a history of Doric Lodge since its institution.
During the evening several selections were rendered by the Harvard Quartet and dialect stories and character poems were rendered by Fred E. Kendall.
A pretty feature of the evening was the presentation of a gold headed cane to Bro. Charles E. Hall, only living Charter Member affiliated with the Lodge. The presentation aJdress was made by Past Master G. Arthur Packard. The anniversary committee was Wor. Bro. Erwin B. Woodbury, S.W. J. Arthur Wood, J.W. Phares D. Frazel, Brothers William H. Moulton, Henry T. G. Dyson, and Warren T. Safford. The reception committee consisted of the past Masters of Doric Lodge.
At the completion of Wor. Bro. Woodbury's two years as Master he was followed in office by J. Arthur Wood, Phares D. Frazel, G. Woodbury Parker, and Alvah W. Morse, each serving two years as Master. After the completion of Wor. Brother Morse's term he was followed by the following: Robert S. Osterhout, William L. Persons, John Cambridge, A. George Gilman, Zoheth H. Woodbury, Walter E. Boyd, Melvin P. Wade, John Coolidge, Melvin P. Mitchell, Millard A. Fillmore, Fred H. Fosgate, Ralph S. Sullivan, Lloyd L. Parker, Everett G. Ricker, and Everett A. Trumpolt) each serving a term of one year as Master.
During the World War fifteen members of Doric responded to the call and Brothers Henry W. Clark and William J. G. Swift failed to return, giving their lives in battle in France. Doric Lodge has been honored by the appointment of five District Deputy Grand Masters by the Most Worshipful Grand Master. These are: Rt. Wor. James L. Harriman, Rt. Wor. Steven S. Holt, Rt. Wor. Fred F. Trull, Rt. Wor. Erwin B. Woodbury, Rt. Wor. J. Arthur Wood.
The Lodge, at the present time, has for its Master, Bro. Russell C. Holden and his efficient line of officers, under whom we feel that the standard as set in the past will be maintained.
Doric Lodge at the present time numbers 236 members.
CENTENARY HISTORY, DECEMBER 1963
From Proceedings, Page 1963-313:
by R.W. Richard A. Brown.
In the words of a previous Lodge Historian, "A Lodge has little history apart from the lives of its members who represent it to the community and the world." Much of this history is gleaned from previous histories of Doric Lodge written for the 25th, 50th and 75th anniversaries, the 1896 dedication of our apartments as well as the celebration of our 1000th communication in 1949.
Doric Lodge has had many members over the years from the original fifteen to today's 327. From these members we have been fortunate to produce seventy Masters of the Lodge. The presiding Master to-night is our seventieth. We are also fortunate in that 33 of these Masters are still living, and tonight is a tribute to all of them. We also lay claim to eight District Deputy Grand Masters: James L. Harriman, Steven S. Holt, Fred F. Trull, Edwin B. Woodbury, J. Arthur Wood, Everett G. Ricker, Fred S. Fosgate and Richard A. Brown. Two are alive and active, Fred Fosgate and the writer. Doric Lodge has not as yet had a permanent member of Grand Lodge.
In the year 1863 Hudson was then the village of Feltonville, a part of Marlboro, and we were in the middle of the Civil War.
In the fall of 1863 Doric Lodge had its beginning by a few members of United Brethren Lodge of Marlboro. Our records do not reveal where they first met. It is believed that the first few meetings were in Manson's Hall, on the south side of Main Street, about where the Elk's Hall now is. The same year the young Lodge moved to Houghton's Hall near the present Houghton Court.
Late in 1864 new quarters were taken in the upper part of the Unitarian Church. The Church was new, having been built in 1861. The rooms were formally occupied January 19, 1865, when Doric Lodge was constituted.
The ceremony of constitution was performed by the Grand Lodge with Most Worshipful William Parkman, the presiding Grand Master, in charge of the work.
Doric Lodge soon grew too large for the top floor of the Church, and the Town of Hudson was building a Town Hall. The year was 1872 and arrangements were made with the Town Officers, many of them members of the Lodge, to have the third floor fitted especially for the use of the Lodge. Doric Lodge moved to the new apartments and the new Lodge hall was formally dedicated October 18, 1872, by Grand Lodge under the direction of the presiding Grand Master, Most Worshipful Sereno D. Nickerson.
The next move of Doric Lodge to larger quarters was our fourth and was to our present apartments. The year was 1896, and Doric was a lusty 33 years old. The dedication ceremony took place November 11, 1896. Most Worshipful Edwin B. Holmes, Grand Master, performed the ceremony.
These few words outline the physical history of Doric Lodge. Perhaps a few more words concerning its Members and Officers will serve to round out the story of One Hundred Years.
Doric Lodge started with fifteen charter members. P. E. Millay was Master and the others were W. E. Claflin, A. K. Graves, Willard Houghton, Edwin Amsden, C. E. Hall, E. M. Taylor, L. T. Jefts, George Houghton, C. M. Robinson, W. L. Witham, O. F. Rollins, G. W. Warfield, Lorenzo Stratton, Jr., and W. C. Hazeltine. Many of these family names are familiar and well known in this area today. Millay and his brother manufactured lasts in the "old red shop" at the rear of what is now Broad's Garage.
- Claflin was a physician and in poor health.
- Graves worked with his father, who ran a small shoe factory. He built the present Graves Building on Main Street.
- Charles Hall was the youngest at 27 and 'was a harness maker.
- Jefts was a local shoe manufacturer and the first President of the Hudson National Bank.
- George Houghton was an orphan and became one of the town's richest men. The Boston fire of 1872 and the great depression of the seventies ruined him financially to the extent of one hundred thousand dollars.
- C. W. Robinson was a building contractor, and among other things built the Town Hall in 1872.
- George Warfield was a shoe retailer, and Lorenzo Stratton was was a shoe manufacturer who lived with his family on the land where the Lodge building now stands.
These men constituted our first Officers and Members; and in the first three years Doric Lodge took in 51 members. Our first Master Mason who received the Degrees in Doric Lodge was Captain William F. Brigham, a soldier, who was made a Master Mason May 2, 1864. He almost had the doubtful honor of being our first death, being killed in action in late February 1865. However, Doric Lodge's first death was Dr. W. W. Claflin, our first Senior Warden, who died in August 1864.
Our second Master was James L. Harriman, who presided for the next three years, and 31 members were added during his term. He later became a District Deputy Grand Master.
Then came Augustus S. Trowbridge, during whose term the Lodge membership increased to 125, and Doric Lodge moved to the top floor of the new Town Hall.
The fourth Master, Willard Houghton, only served one year, but left his mark; and he also has the distinction of being the first of Doric's Masters to be presented a Past Master's Jewel. This presentation was March 2, 1874. There is an interesting story concerning this particular Past Master's Jewel. At the January 26, 1874 meeting the Lodge voted that the Past Master's Jewel in Brother Sawyer's possession be suitably inscribed and then presented to Past Master Willard Houghton. Brother George L. Sawyer was then the Tyler of Doric and not a Past Master. Consequently, how and why he had a Past Master's Jewel is unknown, but it is believed that someone in Brother Sawyer's family presented it to Doric Lodge. You wonder why Edwin B. Holmes, then Grand Master. Doric was 33 years old, we had 225 members, and the evening's work was a night long to be remembered.
We then passed through the turn of the century and on up to our 50th Anniversary in the year 1913. The Masters during this period were Whitney C. Brigham, Adelbert M. Mossman, Affiliated P.M., Fred S. Rowell, Arthur L. Cundall, George A. Reardon, G. Arthur Packard, Walter E. Carver, Herbert A. Knight, Norman M. Hunter, and Edwin B. Woodbury.
Our 50th Anniversary was celebrated in Doric Lodge quarters Monday evening January 12, 1914 while Edwin B. Woodbury, our 25th Master, later to be a District Deputy Grand Master, was Master of Doric Lodge. The history of Doric Lodge for 50 years was given by Right Worshipful Fred F. Trull. The highlight of the evening was the presentation of a gold-headed cane to Brother Charles E. Hall, the only living charter member of Doric Lodge.
Then came Masters J. Arthur Wood, our Secretary for many years, Phares D. Frazel, G. Woodbury Parker and Alvah W. Morse. These four ended the era when a Master served for two or more years. The year was then 1922 and we had passed through World War I. Doric Lodge had fifteen members in that conflict and two did not return. They were Brothers Henry W. Clark and William J. G. Swift. We are now naming Masters within the memory of present members. Robert S. Osterhout was the first Master to be installed in a public Installation. William L. Persons, John Cambridge and our Senior Past Master, A. George Gilman, who was installed our Master in 1926 and has just recently retired from the Presidency of the Maiden Savings Bank. In December 1962, one year ago, Brother Gilman was presented his 50 year Veteran's Medal.
There followed Zoheth H. Woodbury, Walter E. Boyd, Melvin P. Wade, John Coolidge, Melvin P. Mitchell, Millard A. Filmore, Fred H. Fosgate, Ralph S. Sullivan, Lloyd L. Parker, Everett G. Ricker, Everett A. Trumpolt and Russell C. Holden. Twelve Masters, twelve years. It is now 1938 our 75th year. Eight of these Masters are still with us. Wade is a Dentist, Fosgate and Sullivan, Bankers, John Coolidge was very active in the formative years of the 38th Lodge of Instruction, and Parker was our Treasurer for 24 years. This year 1963 would have been his 25th. The others are retired. In 1938 we were still in the depression of the thirties. Many of us remember it well and our membership was 236 Brethren.
We celebrated our 75th year December 19, 1938. Russell C. Holden was our Master. Most Worshipful Joseph E. Perry presiding Grand Master, was our guest with a suite of sixteen Grand Lodge Officers. Our oldest member in years of membership as well as years of age was present. He was Arthur Hastings, 92 years old and a member of Doric Lodge for 69 years.
The next eleven years brings Doric to our 1000th Regular Communication celebration and eleven more Masters have sat in the Oriental Chair during that time: G. Donald Meserve presently an officer in the Army, Howard H. Pratt our present Secretary, and a Banker, as well as Henry L. Ricker also a Banker, Robert H. Wilcox, Jr., Newspaperman, Robert T. Dawes and Edward H. Bryant, Jr., both of Thomas Taylor Co., Walter E. Anderson in banking, Kenneth S. Rand, Jonas E. Carter and Vinson A. Salter all in industry. All of these men we are happy to say are living.
Our 1000th Communication was November 21, 1949; the Presiding Master was Robert Wordsworth, who departed to the Celestial Lodge above two years ago. The celebration that November evening was well attended by more than one hundred Brothers. The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge was represented by Right Worshipful Raymond E. Neal, Junior Grand Warden, and Right Worshipful Albert A. Tallant, District Deputy Grand Master for the Marlboro 24th Masonic District. Doric Lodge's Past Master, Norman M. Hunter was Lodge Historian for the occasion and ably covered the early history of Doric Lodge.
Also during these eleven years we passed through World War II and Doric Lodge was again well represented in the second war to end war.
From the 1000th Communication to to-night we have come another fourteen years, and fourteen more Masters have sat in the East of this Lodge: Donald F. Whitney, Cabinet-maker and Building Inspector; Gerard M. Houghton, New England Telephone Company; during their years we redecorated the hall and replaced the carpet. The original furnishings lasted better than 50 years, indicative of the quality of the materials available in the 1890's.
Then came Ellsworth G. Sawyer, Insurance; Richard A. Brown, Engineer; Oscar H. Collette with Thomas Taylor Company; Wilfred D. Graves, Toolmaker; Irving H. Dinner, Jeweler; Fred L. Clark, Police; John A. Kennedy, Funeral Director; Norman J. Wheeler, Auto Dealer; Donald H. Wheeler, Banker; Donald R. Sowden, Donald M. Sleeper, and Herbert D. Giddings, our present Master.
These fourteen like those before are substantial citizens of the community and all have contributed to the welfare and growth of Doric Lodge and the area. During these last years Doric Lodge has held regular meetings in Berlin and Bolton on several occasions. We also like to think that Doric Lodge has helped to make the 24th Marlboro Masonic District more united through the Annual District Communion Breakfast which was started at Doric Lodge in April 1954, a stronger 38th Lodge of Instruction, and our participation in the District Qualification of Masters which started in Charles A. Welch Lodge in September 1952.
Throughout this rambling story of 100 years, little has been said of the Doric Lodge member, only because their names are many and equally well known in this community of which Doric Lodge is a part. They, like our officers, are in all the walks of life and tonight we are paying tribute to all the Brothers of Doric Lodge from the first 15 to the present 327.
- 1872 (Petition regarding charity)
CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, JANUARY 1865
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly Magazine, Vol. XXIV, No. 3, February 1865, p. 119:
DORIC LODGE. This is the name of a new Lodge, which for the past year has been working under Dispensation in the pleasant village of Feltonville, a part of the town of Marlborough, in Middlesex County. Its charter was granted on the 14th of December last, and the Lodge was duly constituted by the Grand Lodge on the 19th of January. In the evening the officers were publicly installed by the Grand Master, in one of the churches of the village, which had been kindly granted for the occasion. The house was filled to its full capacity by ladies and gentlemen and Brethren of the Lodge, and from the neighboring towns. At the conclusion of the ceremonies Grand Master Parkman addressed the assembly in his usual forcible manner, on the nature, antiquity and extent of the Institution. He was listened to with great attention, and his remarks were well calculated to leave a favorable impression on the minds of his hearers. At the conclusion of the services in the church, the company proceeded to an adjoining Hall, where a bountiful and well spread banquet had been provided for them by, we believe, Mr. John L. Miller, the accomodating host of the Mansion House.
The Hall in which the Lodge will in future hold its meetings is over the church, is commodious in its arrangements and appurtenances, and has been neatly fitted up. The officers installed are as follows:
- Philip D. Millay, W. M.
- A. K. Greene, S. W.
- O. F. Rollins, J. W.
- Willard Houghton, Treas.
- Edwin Amsden, Secretary
- Charles E. Hall, S. D.
- E. M. Taylor, J. D.
- L. T. Jefts, Chaplain.
- Gen. Houghton, Marshal
- G. W. Warfield, S. S.
- W. C. Hazeltine, J. S.
- W. L. Witham, Tyler
125TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, NOVEMBER 1989
From TROWEL, Summer 1990, Page 23:
125th Anniversary of Doric Lodge, Hudson
From Bro. William S. Newton, TROWEL rep. of Doric Lodge. Marlboro, in the Marlboro 24th Masonic District, comes an item relating that the lodge celebrated its 125th anniversary on Saturday, Nov. 25, 1989, at the Masonic Temple, Main and Newton Streets, in Marlboro, with a social hour and dinner preceding the formal part of the evening.
At the event. Wor. Rene A. Duval, Master, received M. W. Albert Timothy Ames, Grand Master, who introduced a suite of distinguished Masons who accompanied him, headed by R. W. Jeffrey B. Hodgdon, Deputy Grand Master; R. W. Charles A. Lucas, Jr., Senior Grand Warden: R. W. William G. Manchester, Junior Grand Warden; R. W. William A. Stoddard. Jr., D. D. G. M. of the Marlboro 24th Masonic District; and R. W. Lowell U. Hammett, Grand Marshal.
The Worshipful Master gave a short talk on Doric Lodge's past years and explained that the 125th anniversary was actually in the fall of 1988, but circumstances prevented celebrating at that time. He also introduced the "Masonic widows" who were guests of the lodge that evening, and presented each with an appropriate commemorative pin. Most Worshipful Bro. Ames congratulated the lodge on its birthday celebration and expressed his delight in being in attendance with his distinguished suite. Dancing followed the formal part of the evening in Heritage Hall in the temple.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Charles G. Balcom, DDGM, District 3 (Boston), 1927, 1928; Grand Marshal 1929-1931; Senior Grand Warden 1932; N
- Richard A. Brown, 1962; District 24 (Marlborough); SN
- Fred H. Fosgate, DDGM, District 24 (Marlborough), 1951, 1952; N
- James L. Harriman, DDGM, District 21 (Framingham), 1883, 1884; SN
- Stevens A. Holt, DDGM, District 21 (Framingham), 1900, 1901; SN
- George C. Oliver, DDGM, District 24 (Marlborough), 1980, 1981; SN
- Everett G. Ricker, DDGM, District 24 (Marlborough), 1941, 1942; Memorial
- Fred F. Trull, DDGM, District 24 (Marlborough), 1914; SN
- J. Arthur Wood, DDGM, District 24 (Marlborough), 1921, 1922; Memorial
- Erwin B. Woodbury, DDGM, District 24 (Marlborough), 1931, 1932; N