- 1 QUABOAG LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
Chartered By: John T. Heard
Charter Date: 03/09/1859 VI-243
Precedence Date: 03/22/1858
Current Status: Active
- David W. Shepard, 1858-1861
- William M. Ward, 1862
- Ewin E. Towne, 1863, 1864
- John Wetherbee, 1865-1867; SN'
- Dwight E. Ellis, 1868, 1869
- William H. Shepard, 1870-1872
- Erasmus F. Strickland, 1873, 1874; SN
- Edward P. Howard, 1875, 1876
- Lovell L. Gage, 1877-1880; SN
- John Thayer, 1881, 1882
- Henry W. Ward, 1883-1885
- Samuel H. Cutler, 1886
- Jesse T. Leonard, 1887, 1888
- Charles Heritage, 1889-1891
- William H. Hitchcock, 1892
- Austin V. Dow, 1893-1895
- Warren D. Hosely, 1896
- Edgar J. Buck, 1897, 1898; SN
- Frederick W. Kimball, 1899, 1900
- Elmer E. Clark, 1901, 1902
- Charles D. Perkins, 1903, 1904; SN
- Fred Wilcox, 1905
- Elmer A. Lincoln, 1906, 1907
- Joseph G. Hastings, 1908, 1909; SN
- Edward M. Houghton, 1910, 1911
- John B. Canfield, 1912-1914
- Edwin Price, 1915, 1916
- William E. Nichols, 1917, 1918
- Charles A. Deland, Jr., 1919
- Frank W. Carey, 1920, 1921
- Alexander D. Kennedy, 1922, 1923
- Wilfred H. Tirrell, 1924, 1925
- Rexford R. Paine, 1926, 1927; N
- Lester A. Birchall, 1928, 1929
- Charles E. Shepard, 1930, 1931
- Walter A. Oldread, 1932, 1933
- I. Walter Moore, 1934, 1935
- Everett E. Esty, 1936
- Richmond Hathaway, 1937
- Frank J. Murphy, 1938, 1939
- Walter J. Snyder, 1940
- Walter Wood, 1941, 1942
- Andrew W. Gondek, 1943
- Robert F. Rutter, 1944, 1945; SN
- Lester B. Holden, 1946
- Cecil W. Taylor, 1947
- Hermon R. Walker, 1948
- William H. Masterman, 1949
- Reuel A. deTurk, 1950
- Frank W. Coleman, 1951
- William B. Cox, 1952
- Clarence H. Keith, 1953
- Earl P. Meacham, 1954
- Paul J. Snyder, 1955
- Homer L. Parker, 1956
- Walter G. Lawrence, 1957, 1958
- Herman F. Horton, 1959
- Bonheur Couture, 1960
- Archie Palmieri, 1961
- Clifford M. Rutter, 1962
- Donald H. Scott, 1963
- Frank W. Carey, 1964
- Joseph Duchowsky, 1965
- Ralph G. L. Larson, 1966, 1974
- Leon C. Furgal, 1967
- Harold J. Odiorne, Jr., 1969
- Warren E. Tirrell, 1970, 1971
- William A. Johnston, 1972, 1973
- Delmar A. Moorhouse, 1975, 1976, 1980, 1984
- James C. Hamill, 1977
- Earl Wunschel, 1978
- Warren E. Tirrell, Jr., 1979
- Warren H. Johnson, 1989-1991; http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MANecrologiesHM#JOHNSTON.2C_WARREN_HALL_1921-2013
- John P. Kiernan, 1992, 1993
- Brian G. Baldwin, 1994, 1997
- Seth H. Blackwell, 1995, 1996; PDDGM
- Vernon C. Johnson, III, 1998
- Wilbert J. Fetzer, 1999, 2000
- Edgar A. Swift, 2001, 2002
- Paul G. Milton, 2003, 2004
- David L. Tassanari, 2005, 2006
- Paul R. Hatch, 2007, 2008
- Robert E. Karowski, 2009
- Robert E. Lavash, Sr., 2010-2012
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1859 (Heard; Constitution of Lodge and installation; see below)
- 1908 (Blake; 50th Anniversary, Special Communication)
- 1958 (A. Jenkins; Centenary, Special Communication)
- 1908 50th Anniversary historical sketch; extract, 1908-43; see below)
- 1958 Centenary History, 1958-65; see below)
50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORICAL SKETCH, MARCH 1908
From Proceedings, Page 1908-43:
The beginning of recognized Masonry in Warren may be dated back to the year 1825, when a warrant was issued by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, by virtue of which Carmel Lodge was instituted in the town of Western, now known as Warren. The officers installed at that time, so far as record shows, were Lander P. Lovell, Worshipful Master; Benjamin Anthony, Senior Warden; and Joseph Rue, Junior Warden. About the same time the old Eden Lodge of Ware and the old Meridian Sun Lodge of Brookfield were organized. Carmel Lodge existed for ten years, more or less, and then passed out of sight for want of support or from the anti-Masonic frenzy when so many of the old Lodges disappeared.
Early in the year 1858 a number of Masons met together to consider the propriety of petitioning the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts to grant a charter or warrant constituting a Lodge in Warren, empowering them to work in Ancient Free and Accepted Masonry. After a due consideration of the matter a petition was drawn in proper form and signed by C. A. Bradley, D. Warren Shepard, Lucius E. Truesdell, Dwight Ellis, William M. Ward, Calvin Shepard, Franklin Drury and John Tyler, praying that they might be congregated into a Lodge under the style of Quaboag Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons. The petition was granted and on Monday, May 10, 1858, the petitioners assembled in a room over the store of Chapin and Shepard, with Lucius E. Truesdell in the chair aud D. Warren Shepard secretary. They then proceeded to organize Quaboag Lodge with the following-named officers: W. M. Lucius E. Truesdell; S. W. D. Warren Shepard; J. W. Dwight Ellis; treasurer, Calvin Shepard; secretary, C. A. Bradley; S. D. William M. Ward; J. D. Shepard Dunham; S. S. D. Sprague Ellis; J. S. Wilson H. Fairbank; tyler, H. Zenas Studley. The recommendation for the formation of Quaboag Lodge came from Thomas Lodge of Palmer.
The first home of Quaboag Lodge was in a hall in the old hotel block owned by C. S. Hitchcock, which it occupied till the latter part of 1859, when it moved into the Fairbank block and was there till April 25, 1868, when the building was burned ; as soon as the present hall was ready the Lodge moved in and has occupied it since.
At the Communication of the Grand Lodge in March, 1859, the Dispensation was returned to the Grand Lodge and the Charter was issued. Both Dispensation and Charter were signed by M. W. John T. Heard, Grand Master; Charles W. Moore, Recording Grand Secretary. In 1862, by a petition to the Grand Lodge, a Dispensation was granted authorizing the holding of the Lodge six months in each year in Brookfield. Beginning September, 1862, Quaboag Lodge held its Communications in Brookfield for six months. Late in the year 1863 Hayden Lodge in Brookfield was organized, which reduced the number of members in Quaboag somewhat.
There have been, since its organization, four District Deputy Grand Masters appointed from the members of the Lodge:
- R. W. John Wetherbee, 1873-74-75;
- R. W. Erasmus F. Strickland, 1883-84-85;
- R. W. Lovell L. Gage, 1893-9J; and
- R. W. Edgar J. Buck, 1907-08.
CENTENARY HISTORY, MARCH 1958
From Proceedings, Page 1958-65:
By H. Ward Hathaway, Ernest L. Gage, Robert F. Rutter, Albert Robinson; History Committee
Any history of Quaboag Lodge must necessarily go back to the roots of Masonry in this area. Only a part of the history of Quaboag Lodge appeared in the historical article presented at the fiftieth anniversary celebration in 1908. It has therefore been the desire of your committee to make further search to unearth additional information.
A history of the Lodge must include some references to the men who were identified with the formation of the Lodge, and go back to a period before its organization.
Masonry had its beginning in this area in 1796 when Thomas Lodge was constituted in Monson. Among its members were men living in Brimfield and Western, later to bear the name of Warren, as well as Palmer. It can be seen that the difficulty of travel before the days of the railroad and the poor roads caused some of the Brothers to envision Lodges in their own communities.
On September 8, 1824, at the Quarterly Communication of the Grand Lodge, a petition of Jacob Mansfield and others, praying for a charter for a Lodge to be named Carmel Lodge, to be located in the Town of Western, was presented and referred to R. W. James A. Dickerson, R. W. Joseph Eveleth and R. W. Elias Haskell.
The first meeting under dispensation was held September 24, 1824. The following officers were chosen and officiated: R.W. Emery Willard, Master; Wor. Jonathan Bush, Senior Warden; Wor. Daniel Hitchcock, Junior Warden; Bro. Chester Powers, Treasurer; Bro. James S. Davis, Secretary; Bro. James Williams, Senior Deacon; Bro. Thomas Cutler, Junior Deacon. At this meeting a petition for the degrees was received from Daniel Holt. Carmel Lodge was constituted on July 4, 1825, and the officers were installed by R. W. Joseph Thayer, District Deputy Grand Master of the 6th Masonic District.
The short history of Carmel Lodge was apparently one of struggles and many misfortunes. The first Master, Emery Wil-lard, became ill soon after the first meeting and passed away before the next meeting. The records show that the Treasurer, Chester Powers, advanced money from time to time and was reimbursed January 21, 1829. Carmel Lodge finally succumbed to the anti-Masonic movement and surrendered its charter, after being in existence for a period of approximately five years.
That there was a direct connection between Carmel Lodge and Quaboag Lodge is evidenced by the fact that four members of Carmel Lodge were later among the charter members of Quaboag Lodge. These were Brothers Shepard Ellis, Dwight Ellis, Franklin Drury and John Tyler.
A hand-written set of by-laws of Carmel Lodge, which are believed to be the original by-laws with signatures of members, is in possession of Quaboag Lodge.
It seems that our earlier Brethren believed that meetings should start promptly, and we find one section of the by-laws providing fines for being late. If the officers were not in their stations within fifteen minutes of the appointed time, they were fined as follows: Master, fifty cents; Senior Warden, thirty-seven and one-half cents; Junior Warden, twenty-five cents. The Secretary was required to record such fines and be the judge as to the time. In case of dispute, a vote of those present was taken.
In the period of approximately thirty years following the surrender of Carmel Lodge, many changes had taken place. The Western Railroad had been built, and mills, operated by water power, were built along the Quaboag River. A transformation from an agricultural economy to one combining industrial and agricultural was taking place. Along with these changes came access to the world outside and a consequent broadening of knowledge of what was taking place outside of the immediate confines of one's town. The prejudice against Freemasonry had gradually subsided. In 1856, Thomas Lodge was revived and moved to Depot Village in Palmer, working under their original charter. Their original jewels, made by Paul Revere, had been kept in the custody of the last Master.
Once again the loyal Brethren living in Warren and vicinity had to travel to Thomas Lodge for their Masonic communications, which was not always convenient. So it was that in March 1858 Brothers D. Warren Shepard, Lucius E. Truesdell, Dwight Ellis, William M. Ward, Calvin Shepard, Franklin Drury, and John Tyler petitioned the Grand Lodge for a charter for a Lodge to be located in the Town of Warren, the same to be known as Quaboag Lodge. The petition was granted March 22, 1858, and on Monday, May 10, 1858, the petitioners assembled in a room over the store of Chapin and Shepard and organized Quaboag Lodge as follows:
- Lucius E. Truesdell, Master
- D. Warren Shepard, Senior Warden
- Dwight Ellis, Junior Warden
- Calvin Shepard, Treasurer
- C. A. Bradley, Secretary
- William A. Ward, Senior Deacon
- Shepard Dunham, Junior Deacon
- D. Sprague Ellis, Senior Steward
- Wilson H. Fairbank, Junior Steward
- H. Zenas Studley, Tyler
The first home of Quaboag Lodge was in the old Hotel Block, owned by C. S. Hitchcock. This building stood on the northeast corner of the plot of land now occupied by Cities Service Oil Company and was occupied by the Lodge until the latter part of 1859, when it was moved to what was then the Fairbanks Block, at the corner of Main and River Streets. This building was burned April 25, 1868, and the block now known as the Tucker Block, on Main Street, became the third home of Quaboag Lodge. These quarters were occupied until they were destroyed by fire in 1942. The Lodge met the next year in Odd Fellows Hall, while the furnishings were being repaired and refinished by the labors of loyal Brethren. Countless hours were spent in this work under the leadership of Worshipful Master Walter Wood. It was necessary to remove the original finish and revarnish, as well as re-upholster all furniture.
A committee was appointed to procure new quarters and they presented two proposals: one, a very generous offer from the Odd Fellows to share their quarters, and the other, an offer from the Warren Savings Bank, who offered to renovate the second floor of the Ramsdell Block and lease same to the Lodge. The latter proposal was accepted and a lease signed.
The first communication in the new quarters was held in November 1942. Due to World War II, it was decided to postpone any formal dedication. The matter of a formal dedication was never raised again.
In the summer of 1957 the matter of a celebration of the Lodge Centennial was raised, and in anticipation of same, a number of loyal and energetic Brothers organized three teams, captained by Worshipful Brothers Frank Coleman, Karl Meacham and William Cox. These teams working in relays, two nights a week, beginning in July and finishing in October, refurnished and repainted the entire suite of rooms. Thirty-five Brethren participated and together worked a total of four hundred and fifty hours. The cost of materials was contributed by Warren Savings Bank. In this work the Brethren demonstrated that Brotherly Love can be spread with the paint brush as well as by the trowel.
In the foregoing, the main facts in the history of Quaboag Lodge have been presented, but there are many other events connected with the Lodge that should not be left unwritten.
For instance, Hayden Lodge of Brookfield was an outgrowth of Quaboag Lodge, much as that was an outgrowth of Thomas Lodge. Because many Brothers from Brookfield belonged to Quaboag Lodge, the Grand Lodge, in 1862, by dispensation, authorized the holding of the Lodge six months in each year in Brookfield, beginning in September 1862. Late in 1863, Hayden Lodge of Brookfield was organized, after which all communications of Quaboag Lodge were held in Warren.
Quaboag Lodge has been honored seven times in the one hundred years of its existence, by having a member appointed District Deputy Grand Master. The names of those so honored are:
- R. W. John Wetherbee, 1873-75
- R. W. Erasmus F. Strickland, 1883-85
- R. W. Lovell L. Gage, 1893-94
- R. W. Edgar J. Buck, 1907-08
- R. W. Charles D. Perkins, 1918-19
- R. W. Joseph G. Hastings, 1932-33
- R. W. Rexford R. Paine, 1945-46
- R. W. Robert F. Rutter, 1956-57
Of the above, Brother Paine has a record of serving as Treasurer of Quaboag Lodge for a period of twenty-two years, and Brother Hastings served the Lodge as Secretary for twenty years.
Brother Hastings received the Joseph Warren Medal for meritorious service, and in this connection, it is interesting to note that when the name of the town was changed from Western to Warren in 1834, it was named after Dr. Joseph Warren of Boston, who was Provincial Grand Master of Massachusetts Grand Lodge at the time of his death during the battle of Bunker Hill.
The fiftieth anniversary of Quaboag Lodge was celebrated March 21, 1908. A special communication of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge was held in the Town of Warren on that date for the purpose of participating in the celebration.
The Grand Officers arrived in Warren at five o'clock p.m. and were escorted by a committee of Past Masters to the Masonic Hall, where they witnessed a portion of the third degree, three candidates being raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason. At six o'clock a banquet was served in Memorial Hall, at which members of the Lodge and their guests to the number of about 150 attended.
At eight o'clock, the Grand Lodge was opened in Ample Form in one of the anterooms of the Masonic Hall and the Grand Officers repaired to the lodge-room, where the Most Worshipful Grand Master was formally welcomed by Worshipful Elmer A. Lincoln, Master of the Lodge.
Brother Lincoln now lives in Rochester, New York. Other Brethren now living who were members of the Lodge at that time include: Albert Robinson, Sidney H. Little, Fred W. Lyman, Ralph H. Jones, Russell S. Gold, George H. Ellis, Charles A. Burgess, Sr., Rev. Eaton B. Marshall and Joseph F. Muheim.
In bringing this historical account of Quaboag Lodge to a close, it is fitting to pay tribute to those worthy Brothers of the past. Through their vision and zeal our Lodge was so firmly established to withstand the test of time. Their loyalty and devotion has beautified our Craft with those Masonic virtues — Friendship, Morality and Brotherly Love. Today we pledge our Brethren of the future to pass on to them unimpaired this our most valued heritage.
CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, MARCH 1859
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XVIII, No. 6, April 1859, Page 192:
A new Lodge, in the town of Warren, Worcester County, called Quaboag Lodge, was constituted by the Grand Lodge of this Commonwealth, on the evening of March 21. The ceremonies were attended by a number of the Brethren from the neighboring towns, and were interesting and impressive. A brief address to the Lodge was delivered by the Grand Master.
The officers of the new Lodge are—
- D. Warren Shepard, M.
- Wm. Ward, S. W.
- Dwight Ellis, J. W,
- Calvin Shepard, Treas.
- Daniel Russell, Sec.
- D. S. Ellis and W. H. Fairbank, Deacons.
- M. K. Whipple and F. R. Sibley, Stewards.
- S H. Sibley, M.
- M. Walsh, Tyler.
The elective officers of the Lodge were installed by the Grand Master.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Seth H. Blackwell, DDGM, District 19 (Palmer), 2000, 2001
- Edgar J. Buck, DDGM, District 17 (Palmer), 1907, 1908; SN
- Carlos M. Gage, DDGM, District 17 (Palmer), 1905, 1906; SN
- Lovell L. Gage, DDGM, District 17 (Palmer), 1893, 1894; SN
- Joseph G. Hastings, DDGM, District 19 (Palmer), 1932, 1933; SN
- Warren H. Johnson, DDGM, District 19 (Palmer), 1994, 1995; N
- Rexford R. Paine, DDGM, District 19 (Palmer), 1946, 1947; N
- Charles D. Perkins, DDGM, District 19 (Palmer), 1919; SN
- Robert F. Rutter, DDGM, District 19 (Palmer), 1956, 1957; SN
- Edward L. Savage, DDGM, District 25, 2017, 2018
- Erasmus F. Strickland, DDGM, District 17 (Palmer), 1883, 1884, 1885; SN
- John Wetherbee, DDGM, District 10 (Springfield), 1873-1876; SN'