Difference between revisions of "Konohassett"

From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(3 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 121: Line 121:
 
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1940 1940]''' (75th Anniversary)
 
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1940 1940]''' (75th Anniversary)
 
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1965 1965]''' (Centenary)
 
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1965 1965]''' (Centenary)
 +
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear2015 2015]''' (150th Anniversary)
  
 
=== VISITS BY GRAND MASTER ===
 
=== VISITS BY GRAND MASTER ===
Line 132: Line 133:
 
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1965 1965]''' ([http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMOsgood Osgood]; 2 visits including Centenary; Special Communication)
 
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1965 1965]''' ([http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMOsgood Osgood]; 2 visits including Centenary; Special Communication)
 
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear2009 2009]''' ([http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMPageau Pageau])
 
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear2009 2009]''' ([http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMPageau Pageau])
 +
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear2015 2015]''' ([http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMWaugh Waugh]; 150th Anniversary; Special Communication)
  
 
=== BY-LAW CHANGES ===
 
=== BY-LAW CHANGES ===
Line 159: Line 161:
 
'''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1971 1971]'''
 
'''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1971 1971]'''
 
'''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1973 1973]'''
 
'''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1973 1973]'''
 +
'''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear2014 2014]'''
 
</blockquote>
 
</blockquote>
  
Line 307: Line 310:
 
''(Signed)'' William Parkman, Grand Master.
 
''(Signed)'' William Parkman, Grand Master.
 
''Attest: (Signed)'' [http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GSCWMoore Chas. W. Moore], Grand Secretary.
 
''Attest: (Signed)'' [http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GSCWMoore Chas. W. Moore], Grand Secretary.
 +
</blockquote>
  
 
On June 30, 5865, the first meeting was held, but the record does not show where it was held.
 
On June 30, 5865, the first meeting was held, but the record does not show where it was held.
Line 432: Line 436:
 
* ''Nelson C. Pratt, Jr.'', DDGM, [http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MAPlymouth27_1927-2003 District 27 (Plymouth)], 1986, 1987
 
* ''Nelson C. Pratt, Jr.'', DDGM, [http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MAPlymouth27_1927-2003 District 27 (Plymouth)], 1986, 1987
 
* Harry H. Reed, DDGM, [http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MAPlymouth27_1927-2003 District 27 (Plymouth)], 1940, 1941; '''[http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MANecrologiesNR#REED.2C_HARRY_HERBERT_1886-1962 N]'''
 
* Harry H. Reed, DDGM, [http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MAPlymouth27_1927-2003 District 27 (Plymouth)], 1940, 1941; '''[http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MANecrologiesNR#REED.2C_HARRY_HERBERT_1886-1962 N]'''
 +
 +
=== OTHER BROTHERS ===
 +
 +
* James H. Bouvé, '''[http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MAOtherBrothersB#BOUV.C3.89.2C_JAMES_HENRY_1829-1888 Memorial]'''
  
 
<hr>
 
<hr>

Latest revision as of 14:30, 22 March 2019

KONOHASSETT LODGE

Location: Cohasset

Chartered By: Charles C. Dame

Charter Date: 06/13/1866 VII-81

Precedence Date: 06/15/1865

Current Status: Active


PAST MASTERS

  • George Beal, 1865, 1866
  • James H. Bouvé, 1867-1869
  • Zacheus Rich, 1870
  • Charles A. Gross, 1871, 1872
  • William J. Newcomb, 1873
  • Andrew W. Williams, 1874-1876
  • David Bates, 1877, 1878
  • Alfred A. Seaverns, 1879, 1880
  • George H. Bates, 1881-1884
  • Edward E. Ellms, 1885, 1886
  • John O. Hall, 1887, 1888
  • James A. Bouve, 1889, 1890
  • Amos A. Lawrence, 1891, 1892; Mem
  • Edward F. Ripley, 1893
  • Thomas A. Rich, 1894, 1895
  • Harry W. Souther, 1896, 1897
  • Harry E. Mapes, 1898, 1899
  • William E. Crocker, 1900, 1901
  • Stephen R. Nichols, 1902, 1903
  • Burton S. Treat, 1904, 1905
  • Herbert E. Fernald, 1906
  • Darius W. Gilbert, 1907, 1908; N
  • Edward E. H. Souther, 1909, 1910
  • Edgar W. Bates, 1911
  • Eugene N. Tower, 1912, 1913
  • Stanley C. Lary, 1914, 1915
  • Peter W. Sharp, 1916, 1917
  • Anselm L. Beal, 1918, 1919
  • Merton L. Bosworth, 1920, 1921
  • Harry H. Reed, 1922, 1923; N
  • Milton L. Kerr, 1924
  • Walter C. Wheelwright, 1925, 1926
  • Sargent F. Tower, 1927, 1928
  • Harold F. Barnes, 1929
  • Conrad W. Carlander, 1930, 1931
  • Ziba T. Lapham, 1932, 1933
  • Harold S. Bandura, 1934, 1935
  • Robert V. Collier, 1936, 1948; N
  • Arthur L. Lehr, 1937, 1938
  • Charles B. Walsh, 1939
  • G. Warren Bates, 1940
  • John D. Beal, 1941
  • Harry H. Reed, Jr., 1942, 1943
  • Norman Card, 1944, 1945
  • Thomas D. Vass, 1946, 1947
  • Ronald G. Beal, 1949, 1950
  • Frank Wheelwright, 1951, 1952
  • Harold G. Goodwin, 1953, 1954
  • Milton L. Kerr, Jr., 1955
  • George W. Orr, 1956
  • Robert G. Pyne, 1957
  • George W. Dunlap, 1958
  • Carlton S. Pratt, 1959
  • Kenneth L. Burnside, 1960
  • Norman F. Megathlin, 1961
  • Stanley MacLeod, 1962
  • John E. Hunt, 1963
  • Harry H. Ritter, 1964
  • Robert B. O'Quin, 1965, 1966; SN
  • Nelson C. Pratt, Jr., 1967; PDDGM
  • David D. Honick, 1968; N
  • David M. Blossom, 1969
  • Donald W. Pratt, 1970
  • Michael Sawchuk, 1971
  • Kjeil H. Pehrson, 1972
  • Don E. Harrold, 1973
  • George E. Dixon, 1974
  • Robert W. MacNeill, 1975, 1990
  • Lot E. Bates, 1976
  • Francis J. Mitchell, 1977
  • Edward E. Ettinger, 1978
  • John J. Rhodes, III, 1979, 1989
  • Alan S. James, 1980
  • David E. James, 1981, 1982
  • Millard E. MacNeill, 1983
  • Brian L. James, 1984
  • Laurence S. James, 1985
  • Joseph M. Tierney, 1986
  • Donald F. McCormack, 1987, 1995
  • Herbert I. Lewis, 1988-1991; PDDGM
  • Thomas J. Hill, 1992, 1993
  • Duncan T. McCormack, 1994
  • Donald W. Pratt, 1996
  • John Millard MacNeill, 1997, 2005, 2006, 2012
  • Robert William MacNeill, 1998, 1999, 2008
  • William P. Miller, 2000
  • Brian P. Aiguier, 2001
  • 2002?
  • Paul A. Salvas, 2003
  • Jordan C. MacNeill, 2004
  • John J. Rhodes, III, 2007
  • Bradford C. Goodwin, 2009-2011

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition for Dispensation: 1865
  • Petition for Charter: 1860

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1940 (75th Anniversary)
  • 1965 (Centenary)
  • 2015 (150th Anniversary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1871 1872 1877 1879 1882 1886 1889 1890 1891 1898 1908 1910 1912 1913 1917 1922 1926 1931 1949 1956 1968 1971 1973 2014

HISTORY

  • 1940 (75th Anniversary History, 1940-272; see below)
  • 1965 (Centenary History, 1965-215; see below)

75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, SEPTEMBER 1940

From Proceedings, Page 1940-272:

By Rev. Fred Veston Stanley:

It is not easy to write the history of a Masonic Lodge although its formal records may be detailed and accurate. The dates, the names of its officers and members, the routine account of votes passed, ritual observed and occasional special events recorded, can be summed up on a few written pages. But the part Masonry has performed in infuencing the lives of the men who have made up its membership for seventy-five years, as well as the contribution their lives have made to the Lodge and to the community, can never be summed up in words. We can however review the outstanding events and achievements, pay tribute to those whose clear vision.and faithful labors founded Konohassett Lodge and those who have caried on through the succeeding years, and we can pledge ourselves anew to so exemplify the high ideals and principles of our Fraternity, in our own day that we may add a worthy chapter to this history in the days ahead.

Twenty-five years ago a history of this Lodge was read by Worshipful Brother John O. Hall at our fiftieth anniversary and this has been preserved in printed form. There is nothing new to record of those fifty years but an abridged review of that excellent account is included in this paper.

Seventy-five years ago last June the 13th, Most Worshipful William Parkman, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, granted a dispensation to A. J. Souther, Zaccheus Rich, James H. Bouvé, Alexander T. Prouty, J. O. Cole, Howland Studley, Edward E. Tower, Henry C. Mapes, Henry Merritt, Andrew Poole and Joseph H. Smith, to organize a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons and to initiate, pass and raise candidates. George Beal, Jr. was appointed to be the first Masterj James H. Bouvé, Senior Warden; Zaccheus Rich, Junior Warden.

On June 30, 1865, the first meeting was held. Two committees were appointed - one to prepare By-laws, the other to make arrangements for a hall for the meetings of the Lodge. At the July meeting it was voted to lease the hall over Brother Frederick E. Tower's store on the West side of the Common, for a period of ten years at the rate of $50.00 per year. A committee was appointed to repair and furnish the hall at a cost not to exceed $500.00. Each member was assessed $20.00 in part payment for this expense.

At a Special Communication on June 27, 1866, Most Worshipful Grand Master Charles C. Dame and other officers of the Grand Lodge were present, the Charter of Konohassett Lodge was presented and the Grand Lodge officers consecrated the Lodge] to Ancient Free and Accepted Masonry and dedicated the Lodge.

At the expiration of ten years, the lease of the Tower Hall was renewed for five years at the rate of $60.00 per year. In the spring of 1891, the furniture and all Lodge property were taken from this hall and a committee was appointed to procure land and erect a building for Lodge uses. The summer meetings were omitted. The September and October meetings were held in the Odd Fellow's Hall. The regular November meeting was held in the Lodge-room of the new Masonic building, with forty members and seventy-five visitors, including Right Worshipful District Deputy Stephen Foster and his suite, present. The Temple was publicly dedicated by the officers of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts on June 29, 1892. The final report of the building committee showed the entire cost with everything complete to be $7,267.59, $2,500.00 of which amount had been raised by subscriptions.

The Relief Fund of $91,000.00 was invested in the building and the balance was raised by a mortgage. Special credit was accorded Worshipful A. A. Lawrence for money advanced to make payments promptly on the construction of the building and to the members of the building committee for their faithful and efficient services, to the Lodge and to the Fraternity at large.

In the early years the initiation fee for the degrees was set at $35.00; the annual dues were $2.00; raised to $4.00 in 1868 and to $6.00 in 1922. There was also a 95.00 membership fee. The Master Mason's degree did not give title to membership. It was necessary to make formal application and be voted on for membership at a future meeting. In September, 1886, the rule was changed to conform to a decree of the Grand Lodge and henceforth all brothers receiving the M. M. degree became members on signing the By-laws. In 1922 the initiation fee was raised to $50.00, ten dollars of each fee to be paid to the Lodge Trustees.

In 1902 an organ was purchased for the Lodge at a cost of $175.00, fifty-eight brothers subscribing. ln 1924 new furnishings were provided for the Lodge at a cost of $925.00. In 1926 a small Library of Masonic books was purchased by the Lodge and placed in a suitable case in one of the anterooms. In 1934 new regalia for all the officers was provided.

The records show that in addition to frequent benefits paid to sick and needy Brethren or to their families in case of death, the Lodge has often responded to special appeals outside the bounds of its own membership with generous contributions: To the Charleston, S. C. sufferers after the earthquake of 1886; to the George Washington Memorial at Alexandria, Va.; to the Masonic Home; to the Mississippi flood victims; to war relief; to mention only a few of the more notable.

In 1887 the custom of providing each retiring Master with a Past Master's jewel was established. Previous to this date the jewels had been purchased by contributions from the Brethren.

At the annual meeting in 1890, the Secretary reported that of the membership of seventy-one, fifty-six of whom resided in Cohasset or its vicinity, nearly fifty percent had attended each of the sixteen meetings of the preceding year. A much better record of attendance than recent years can show.

The 25th Anniversary of the Lodge was observed in November 1890, by a public installation of officers in the Town Hall. Most Worshipful Grand Master Samuel Wells, with a distinguished suite, was in attendance and the Grand Lecturer, Gifford H. G. McGrew conducted the installation. The Secretary records that it was a bright and joyous occasion.

The 50th Anniversary of the Lodge was observed on June 19, 1915. The presence of Most Worshipful Grand Master, Melvin M. Johnson, with a large suite of Grand Lodge officers and representatives of sister Lodges, made the occasion a notable one. A full account of the proceedings with the historical account then read, and from which I have taken freely for this paper, has been preserved in the archives. Only three of the thirteen Past Masters of Konohassett Lodge then living are still with us.

At the close of the first World War an Honor Roll was procured and the names of the Lodge Members who entered the service of their country were inscribed thereon. These names are as follows:

  • George H. Mealy (Killed in France July, 1918)
  • Kendall T. Bates
  • Carl A. Bates
  • Oscar F. Bandura
  • Dr. Frederick Hinchliffe
  • Sheldon N. Ripley
  • Horace Sutcliffe
  • Charles W. Stevens
  • Odin Towle
  • Eugene N. Tower
  • Dr. George Osgood
  • Rev. Howard K. Bartow (Worked in ministerial capacity under Epis. Church at Camp Devens)
  • Stanley C. Lary (Secretary Y.M.C.A. in France)

To these may be added service men who became members of Konohassett Lodge after the war:

  • Harold F. Barnes
  • Joseph M. Brest
  • Roland T. Phillips
  • Julian C. Howe
  • Norman Card
  • Douglas R. Ross
  • L. Thaxter Lapham
  • Robert V. Collier
  • Charles B. Walsh
  • Harold S. Bandura
  • Irving L. Hyland
  • J. Philip Wittemore

The Lodge participated in the 150th anniversary of the organization of the Town of Cohasset in the summer of 1921 by a substantial contribution to the Town Pageant Committee and by a public observance on Sunday, July 10th, in the First Parish Church, a service in which the three ministers of the Churches on the Common took part. Special music was rendered by the McDowell Male Quartette and an eloquent and stiring address was delivered by Worshipful Brother Francis L. Beal, Ph.D., D.D., L.L.D., of Cambridge, Mass., brother of our present Senior Warden.

On March 13, 1923 one of our faithful members, Brother Hans G. Dick of North Scituate, died and by his will left his entire estate to Konohassett Lodge with the provisions that the amount realized should be held in trust by the Lodge, ten percent of the income of which to be available annually for Lodge purposes and the remaining ninety percent of the income to be allowed to accumulate for 100 years. At the expiration of this period the accumulated funds can be used for various charitable, educational and civic purposes to benefit the communities of Cohasset and Scituate. The original Fund amounted to $35,100 and has already grown to more than $72,000.

The Special Communication of Nov. 27, 1927, is recorded by the Secretary "as marking one of the high lights of the Lodge." Most Worshipful Grand Master, Frank L. Simpson, accompanied by a suite of sixteen Grand Lodge officers, was in attendance, also members and officers from neighboring Lodges. 'After a banquet served in the vestry of the Second Congregational Church, the Grand Master and his suite, accompanied by Worshipful Master Sargent F. Tower and other Lodge officers, went to the home of Brother Newcomb B. Tower where the "Veteran's Medal" for 50 years service as a Mason was fittingly bestowed upon him by the Grand Master. Brother Tower, Town Treasurer for so many years, became a member of the Lodge on June 18, 1868. Returning to the Lodge rooms the distinguished visitors were formally intoduced and Worshipful Brother James O. Hall was presented with a Veteran's Medal by the Grand Master. Brother Hall became a member of Konohassett Lodge in June, 1873; was Master of the Lodge in 1887 and 1888. Jointly with Right Worshipful A. A. Lawrence he had presented the Lodge with the Rough and Perfect Ashlars. He had given the working tools used in the exemplification of the degrees and later the Membership book in which he wrote in proper order and beautiful penmanship the names of all the Brethren belonging at that period. He was made an honorary member in 1925. He wrote the historical account for the fiftieth anniversary and throughout his long life splehdidly exemplified the Masonic virtues of Friendship, Love and fidelity.

Other members of this Lodge who have received the "Veteran's Medal" for 50 years of Masonic service are worthy of our grateful remembrance.

  • Worshipful A. A. Seaverns received his medal in 1916. He was raised in 1866 and served as Master during 1879 and 1880. He was the color bearer of the Lodge for many years. He died in 1918.
  • Brother Herbert L. Brown was presented with the Veteran's Medal by Right Worshipful District Deputy Charles B. Worrick at the October meeting, 1936. Brother Brown was raised in 1886 and served the Lodge as Treasurer from 1905 to the year of his death, 1938, a total of nearly 33 years. At the meeting mentioned above, Worshipful Peter W. Sharp on behalf of the Lodge presented htm with a special medal in recognition of his long and

faithful service as Treasurer.

  • Brother Oliver H. Howe was presented with a Veteran's Medal from the Grand Lodge by Right Worshipful District Deputy Charles B. Worrick on Decembet 10, 1937. On that occasion Dr. Howe presented to the Lodge and to each of the three principal officers, a piece of stone from the quarries under the site of King Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem, which he had brought from a visit to the Holy Land several years before.
  • Right Worshipful Charles B. Worrick at the same meeting, on behaif of the Lodge, presented a special medal to his father, Brother Levi Lincoln Worrick, in recogniton of his long and faithful service as Tyler of Konohassett Lodge. Brother Worrick retired from the office of Tyler at the end of 1938 after having served in that capacity for 35 years. He is still, at 88 years of age, a frequent attendant at the Lodge meetings.

Since 1886 the Lodge has been fortunate in having the continuous service of a clergyman as Chaplain, Rev. John Wesley Savage, Rev. James Bishop, Rev. Milo H. Gates, Rev. Howard K. Bartow, serving in succession until December, 1920, since which date the author of this paper has enjoyed that honor. A special word regarding Brother Gates is in order. As Rector of St. Stephen's Parish from 1898 to 1903, his untiring efforts were mainly responsible for the erection of the beautiful St. Stephen's Church Building. He removed to New York City and later became Dean of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. He refused the Chaplaincy of the Grand. Lodge of New York because it involved the giving up of his membership in our Lodge. He kept in touch with the community by making his summer home here until his death a few months ago.

The Secretary having the longest term of office during the existence of the Lodge is Brother Edward L. Stevens who is still with us. He was Secretary from 1911 to 1923. Right Worshipful Distict Deputy Harry H. Reed has the second longest term as Secretary, having served from 1930 until the present time. Konohassett Lodge has been honored by the Most Worshipful Grand Masters in appointing three of our Past Masters to the office of District Deputy Grand Master of the 27th Masonic District - A. A. Lawrence, Dr. Darius W. Gilbert and Harry H. Reed, the present Distict Deputy Grand Master.

In Brother Hall's paper 25 years ago, he gave special recognition to several other Brethren whose names may again be fittingly recalled. There was Worshipful Brother James H. Bouvé, whom he called the "Father of Konohasset Lodge, untiring in long continued service to the Lodge, friendly in his influence, and always persistent that the officers of the Lodge maintain the highest efficiency in their work" and Right Worshipful Amos A. Lawrence who is described as "perhaps the most efficient and worthy member up to the time of his death in 1906. He was most conspicuous in his labors incidental to the erection and dedication of the Masonic Temple, rendering great financial assistance as well as the benefit of a well trained business experience." Brother Morgan B. Stetson "served in almost every capacity in the work of the Lodge except that of Master and occupied the position of Treasurer with credit for many years."

To these names I add two more who are no longer with us but whose memory we cherish with grateful appreciation and feel that they are worthy of our honor.

  • William E. Crocker. After retiring from the East he served for many years as Marshal. His strong personal interest in Freemasonry, his constant desire to extend the influence of his Lodge, his willingness to give time and labor freely for the Lodge's welfare, his accurate knowledge of the ritual made him a valued and active participant in all the deliberations and activities of the Lodge.
  • Eugene N. Tower. Big hearted and friendly, his cheerful nature brightened the hearts of all who knew him. He was Secretary of the Lodge from 1903 to 1906; Worshipful Master in 1912 and 1913; member of the National Guard serving on the Mexican border in 1916 and in the regular army over seas in the first World War; Trustee of the Dick Fund; Selectman of Cohasset in his last years. There has been no other like him. No one who knew him in the Lodge, and especially no candidate, can ever forget his eloquent delivery of the "Charge to the Candidate" - a service which successive Masters called upon him to perform.

Among officers past and present with long records of service who are still with us, we can mention:

  • Edward E. H. Souther, Worshipful Master 1908 and 1909; Trustee for many years; Marshal for a long term, always interested in and working for

the welfare of the Lodge.

  • Peter W. Sharp. Secretary 1906 and again from 1924 to 1927 - Worshipful Master 1976 and 1917. Always giving his best to the Lodge.
  • Dr. Darius W. Gilbert. Worshipful Master 1906 and 1907; Trustee and Member of the Relief Committee for many years. Selectman of Cohasset for many years. District Deputy Grand Master in 1914 and 1915. Constant in attendance, friend to everyone.
  • Burgess C. Tower, Organist, still in ofice. He has conducted the musical service of the Lodge for more than forty years.
  • Samuel B. Bates, whose vocal solos for twenty-eight years have added enrichment and impressiveness to the work of the degrees.
  • Stephen R. Nichols. Worshipful Master 1900 and 1901; Marshal for several years; Trustee and Treasurer of the Board of Trustees for several terms. No Brother has had more at heart the interests of this Lodge. No Brother has been more constant in attendance. As senior Past Master he has for years usually been appointed Chairman of the Committee to wait upon and introduce the Right Worshipful District Deputies on their periodic visitations.

It was a matter of particular interest to the members of the Lodge to learn that the oldest Past Master in the State of Washington, Worshipful Brother Joseph Warren Clapp, received the Ancient Masonic degrees in Konohassett Lodge in 1868. He was given special honors in the Whidby Island Lodge in Couperville, Washington, on May 9, 1938, in commemoration of his having attained the age of 95 and of his having completed 70 years of active Masonry. He died at the advanced age of 97.

There have been raised in the Lodge during the 75 years, 303 Masons. There are now 4 Honorary Members and 113 regular members on the roll. We have had 39 Worshipful Masters, of whom 17 are now living.

I have touched only a few points in the annals of 75 years. But if Konohassett Lodge is to live on in a future as worthy as the past, we must not be content simply to review that past. We must also master the knowledge of the living present. We must prove ourselves equal to the tasks and problems of our day. We must obey the law of life by moving on or die. Like every other institution we must justify our right to live by right living.

Only by making Masonry a living, working reality can we call ourselves real Masons. M"y we accept the challenge and be equal to it as we move on toward our one hundredth anniversary.

CENTENARY HISTORY, MAY 1965

From Proceedings, Page 1965-200:

By Worshipful G. Warren Bates.

One hundred years ago, several Cohasset Brothers, recognizing the beneficent purposes of Masonry, conceived the idea of having a Masonic Lodge in Cohasset, and on May 24, S86S, Brothers Andrew J. Souther, Zaccheus Rich and James H. Bouve, by invitation of Brother George Beal, Jr., met at his house, and after consultation agreed that they, with such other Brothers as might join, should petition the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge at the Quarterly Communication in June for a Dispensation to congregate as a legal Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons.

The application was made and the Dispensation was granted by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge, bearing date of June 13, S86S, and signed by William Parkman, Grand Master, and attested to by Charles W. Moore, Grand Secretary.

Dispensation

To all Persons to whom these Presents may come:

Greeting: Whereas, a petition has been presented to me by sundry Brethren, to wit: A. J. Souther, Zacceus Rich, James H. Bouve, George Beal, Jr., Charles A. Gross, M. B. Stetson, Alex T. Prouty, J. O. Cole, Howland Studley, Edward E. Tower, Henry C. Mapes, Henry Merritt, Andrew Poole and Joseph H. Smith, praying to be congregated into a regular Lodge under the name and title of Konohassett Lodge, with permission to hold the same in the Town of Cohasset;

And Whereas, said petitioners have been recommended to me as Master Masons in good standing by the Worshipful Master, Wardens and Brethren of Old Colony Lodge, holden in the Town of Hingham, and their petition having been countersigned and approved by our District Deputy Grand Master for the Fifth Masonic District;

Therefore, I, William Parkman, Grand Master of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, reposing full confidence in the recommendation aforesaid and in the Masonic integrity and ability of the petitioners, do, by virtue of the authority of my office, and of ancient Masonic usage, hereby grant this dispensation, authorizing and empowering our trust}' and well-beloved Brethren aforesaid to form and open a Lodge after the manner of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, and therein to admit and make Freemasons according to the ancient custom and not otherwise. And this dispensation is to continue in full force until the regular Quarterly Communication of our Grand Lodge aforesaid, holden in the City of Boston, in the month of June, A.D. 1866, A.L. 5866, unless sooner revoked by me or by authority of our said Grand Lodge.

And I do hereby appoint Brother George Beal, Jr., to be the first Master, Brother James H. Bouve to be the first Senior Warden, and Brother Zaccheus Rich to be the first Junior Warden of said Lodge.

And it shall be the duty of said Master and Wardens and their associates, and they are hereby required to return this Dispensation, with a correct transcript of all proceedings had under the authority of the same, together with an attested copy of their By-Laws, to our Grand Lodge aforesaid at the expiration of the time herein specified for examination, and such further action in the premises as shall be deemed wise and proper for the advancement of the general interests of the Craft.

Given under our hand and the seal of our Grand Lodge aforesaid. At Boston this thirteenth day of June, A.D. 186S, A.L. 5865.

(Signed) William Parkman, Grand Master. Attest: (Signed) Chas. W. Moore, Grand Secretary.

On June 30, 5865, the first meeting was held, but the record does not show where it was held.

Lodge was opened on the third degree in form with the following organization: Worshipful Brother George Beal, Jr., in the East; Brother James H. Bouve, Senior Warden; Brother Zaccheus Rich, Junior Warden; Brother Morgan B. Stetson, Secretary; Brother Andrew J. Souther, Senior Deacon; Brother Chas. A. Gross, Junior Deacon; Brother Alexander T. Prouty, Tyler; Member present, Brother Joseph H. Smith.

Worshipful Brother George Beal, Jr., Brother James H. Bouve and Brother Joseph Smith were chosen a committee to prepare By-Laws.

Brothers James H. Bouve, Zaccheus Rich and Charles A. Gross were appointed a committee to make final arrangements for a hall to be occupied by the Lodge.

The first regular Communication of Konohassett Lodge under Dispensation was held July 7, 5865, with the following organization: Worshipful Brother George Beal, Jr., in the East; Brother James H. Bouve, Senior Warden; Brother Zaccheus Rich, Junior Warden; Brother Joseph H. Smith, Secretary; Brother Morgan B. Stetson, Treasurer; Brother Andrew J. Souther, Senior Deacon; Brother Chas. A. Gross, Junior Deacon; Brother Alexander T. Prouty, Tyler.

To most of us these are only names, and a few comments gleaned from the Cohasset Geneaology might be of interest.

Worshipful Zaccheus Rich, who became the third Master of Konohassett, was a selectman of Cohasset, 1865-1869. Edward E. Tower was the father of Burgess Tower, the organist at the Unitarian Church for many years, and organist of Konohassett for over 40 years. Henry C. Mapes was the father of George B. Mapes and Harry Mapes, and grandfather of George P. Mapes. His son George B. was a conductor on the N.Y., N.H., and Hartford Railroad, and a faithful member of our lodge for over 40 years. Son Harry, better known as "Hal", was a Selectman of Cohasset for several years. The grandson, George P. Mapes, was raised in Konohasset, but no longer resides in this Town.

At the July meeting it was voted to lease the hall over Brother Frederick E. Tower's store on the West side of the Common. This Hall became the headquarters of the Lodge for a number of years.

At a special communication on June 27, 1866, Most Worshipful Charles C. Dame, Grand Master, and other Grand Lodge Officers were present, and the Lodge was dedicated and consecrated to Ancient Free and Accepted Masonry.

In the spring of 1891 the Lodge appointed a committee, and land was procured to erect a building for Lodge meetings. The progress of the undertaking was such that the regular November meeting of the same year was held in the Lodge room of the new Masonic building, attended by forty members and seventy-five visitors, including Right Worshipful District Deputy Stephen Foster and his Suite. "The Temple was publicly dedicated by the Officers of the Grand Lodge on June 29, 1892."

"The final report of the building committee showed the entire cost with everything complete to be $7,267.59. $2,500 of this amount had been raised by subscriptions. The Relief Fund of $1,000 was invested in the building and the balance was raised by a mortgage. Special credit was accorded Worshipful A. A. Lawrence for money advanced to make payments promptly on the construction of the building, and to the members of the building committee for their faithful and efficient services to the Lodge, and to the Fraternity at large."

For nearly seventy-five years then, this edifice has served the brethren well. As would be expected, the natural ravages of time have necessitated repairs. At one time, for instance, it became necessary for somewhat extensive re-enforcing of the walls with iron bars which can be seen near the ceiling of the Lodge. Not long since, the heating system became obsolete and was replaced, and in such a way as to cover areas not previously reached. However, there is no doubt that we are indebted to our brethren of the construction era for their thoughful planning and self-sacrificing labors.

Originally the initiation fee for the degrees was $35.00, and dues were $2.00. In 1868 the dues were raised to $4.00, and in 1922 to $6.00. In 1922 the initiation fee was raised to $50.00, ten dollars of each fee to be paid to the Lodge Trustees. At present the due are $12.00, $3.00 of which is paid to Grand Lodge.

Occasionally through the years improvements have been made on the interior of the Lodge. In 1902 an organ was purchased for the Lodge at a cost of $175.00, fifty-eight brothers subscribing. New furnishings at a cost of $925.00 were provided in 1924, and a small library of Masonic books in 1926. In 1934 new regalia for all the officers was purchased. On September 9, 1949 the lodge voted to purchase a new organ at a cost of $850.00, an added feature of this all electric instrument being its built-in radio and record player. Also in the fall of 1949 a remodeling of the interior of the Lodge was accomplished including the laying of a new carpet.

With respect to Lodge regalia it would be of interest to note that the custom of providing each retiring master with a Past Master's jewel was established in 1887. Previous to that time the jewels were purchased by contributions from the brethren.

In November of 1890 the twenty-fifth anniversary of the founding of the Lodge was observed by a public installation of officers in the Town Hall. In attendance: Most Worshipful Samuel Wells, Grand Master, and Suite, including the Grand Lecturer, Gifford H. McGrew.

The Fiftieth anniversary of the Lodge was observed on June 19, 1915. This gathering was honored by the presence of Most
Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson, Grand Master, and a large
suite of Grand Lodge Officers and representatives of sister
lodges made the occasion a noteworthy one.

The Seventy-fifth anniversary was observed on September 20, 1940. In the absence of Most Worshipful Joseph Earl
 Perry, Grand Master, who was regretfully unable to attend, a
distinguished suite of Grand Lodge Officers, Past District Deputies, and Officers of neighboring Lodges, led by Right Worship
ful Samuel H. Wragg, Deputy Grand Master, gathered for
dinner in the vestry of the Congregational Church, following
the opening of the Lodge and a formal welcome in the Masonic
Apartments. After the dinner the brethren adjourned to the church auditorium to enjoy a program including an excellent history of Konohassett Lodge prepared and delivered by Brother Reverend Fred V. Stanley, Chaplain of Konohassett Lodge; vocal selections by Brother Samuel B. Bates; and an address by Right Worshipful Samuel H. Wragg.

According to the records, the Lodge through the years has contributed to sick and needy brethren, or to their families in case of death. But also the Lodge has often responded to special appeals from outside the bounds of it own membership. To mention a few: The Charleston, S. C., sufferers after the earthquake of 1886; to the George Washington Memorial at Alexandria, Virginia; to the Masonic Home; to the Mississippi flood victims; to war relief; to the blood bank; and to local organizations.

Konohassett Lodge has also, of course, a long list of active participants in both World Wars, and the roster shows one gold star: For George H. Mealy, who gave his life on the battlefields of France in World War I.

The histories of both Wor. Brother John O. Hall and Rev. Brother Fred V. Stanley written for the Fiftieth and Seventy-Fifth anniversaries respectively, contain references to many individuals who have served this Lodge with particular note-worthiness through the years, and I am indebted to those histories for much of the material used in this paper.

R.W. Amos A. Lawrence was "perhaps the most efficient and worthy member up to the time of his death in 1906. He was most conspicuous in his labors incidental to the erection and dedication of the Masonic Temple, rendering great financial assistance as well as the benefit of a well trained business experience."

Wor. Brother James O. Hall was Master of the Lodge in 1887 and 1888. "Jointly with Right Worshipful Amos A. Lawrence he had presented the Lodge with the Rough and Perfect Ashlars. He had given the Working Tools used in the exemplification of the degrees, and later the Membership book in which he wrote in proper order and beautiful penmanship the names of all the brethren belonging at that period. He was made an honorary member in 1925. He wrote the historical account for the fiftieth anniversary and through his long life splendidly exemplified the Masonic virtues of Friendship, Love and Fidelity."

Brother Herbert L. Brown, who received his Veteran's Medal in 1936, was raised in 1886, and served the Lodge as Treasurer from 1905 to the year of his death in 1938, a total of nearly 33 years.

Eugene N. Tower: "Big hearted and friendly, his cheerful nature brightened the hearts of all who knew him." He was secretary of the Lodge from 1903 to 1906; Worshipful Master in 1912 and 1913. "No one who heard him, and especially no candidate, can ever forget his eloquent delivery of the 'Charge to the Candidate', a service which successive Masters called upon him to perform."

Edward E. H. Souther: Worshipful Master in 1908 and 1909; Trustee for many years; Marshal for a long term; "always interested in and working for the welfare of the Lodge."

Dr. Drius W. Gilbert: Master in 1906 and 1907; trustee and member of the Relief Committee for many years; District Deputy Grand Master in 1914 and 1915. A very faithful attendant of Konohassett Lodge as long as his health would permit.

Stephen R. Nichols: Worshipful Master in 1900 and 1901; Marshal for several years. Always interested in the affairs of the Lodge. Being the senior Past Master for many years, it was frequently his honor to be chairman of the committee to wait on and introduce visiting dignitaries.

Brother Samuel B. Bates: His vocal solos for nearly fifty years added enrichment and impressiveness to the work of the degrees. On the death of Brother Rev. Stanley in 1954 he 'assumed the position of Chaplain of the Lodge, a duty he performed until failing health forced him to relinquish the post in the early part of 1962. He was always a faithful member of the Lodge, and passed to the "Celestial Lodge Above" in May 1962 just four months short of the 50th anniversary of his raising.

Right Worshipful Harry H. Reed, Sr.: Worshipful Master of Konohassett Lodge in 1922 and 1923; District Deputy Grand Master of the Plymouth 27th District, 1940-41; Secretary of the Lodge for fourteen years, from December 6, 1929 until 1943. A sincere and devoted member of this Lodge and Masonry, still interested in attending the Lodge meetings even when failing eyesight made it impossible for him to see his friends. Probably no member past or present has ever made Masonry more a part of his life, nor been more faithful to the interests of Konohassett Lodge.

As Brother Reverend Stanley expressed it in his history: "Since 1886 the Lodge has been fortunate in having the continuous service of a clergyman as Chaplain. Rev. John Wesley Savage, Rev. James Bishop, Rev. Milo H. Gates, Rev. Howard K. Bartow, serving in succession until December 1920, since which date the author of this paper has enjoyed that honor." Brother Stanley continued to serve the Lodge in this capacity until 1954 or for nearly thirty-four years. Those of us who have lived in Cohasset since 1915, when Brother Stanley came to this town as minister of the Congregational Church, fully appreciate the sterling character of this fine gentleman. The recollection of his long years of service in the church; his untiring leadership as Scout Master during most of his sojurn in this town; his interest and work in the Community; and lals long term as Chaplain of Konohassett Lodge, will forever lie as a living Memorial in the hearts of the many who were privileged to associate with him. His passing was a great loss to our Lodge.

In 1944 and 1945 Worshipful Brother Norman Card was Master of the Lodge. On November 8, 1946, Wor. Brother Card was selected Treasurer of the Lodge, a position he held until his untimely death in December 1960. During those fourteen years Wor. Brother Card refrained from accepting the small salary attached to the position of Treasurer with the expectation that eventually the money would be used to purchase a State Flag for the Lodge. At the regular communication on January 6, 1961, Wor. Harry H. Reed, Jr., assisted by Wor. Ronald G. Beal dedicated a State Flag to the memory of Brother Card. Worshipful Brother Card was yet another of our Brethren who have carried on so well for Konohassett Lodge through the years. Always friendly and interested in people, his loss was regretted by all the community as well as the brethren.

Since the inception of the Lodge four men have been honored by appointment as District Deputy Grand Masters: R.W. Amos A. Lawrence, R. W. Darius W. Gilbert, R. W. Harry H. Reed, Sr., R. W. Robert V. Collier. Of these only Brother Collier is still with us. In the hundred years of its existence Konohassett Lodge has been fortunate in having many recipients of the fifty-year Veteran's Medal. In fact, the list is now of such length as to make individual references in a short history impractical. Let us hope that the future finds many more brethren entering the growing group of those who have served Masonry for a half century.

All through the past there have been, and certainly in the future there will be, many brethren faithful in their attendance and interest in Konohassett Lodge, but who for good and sufficient reasons have not and will not desire to be officers of the Lodge. Their loyalty and interest and regular attendance, however, is the backbone of the success and continued existence of the Lodge. Without them the officers could do little.

Because of his unusual contribution one such brother will remain forever in our minds, and a special tribute is due him. "On March 13, 1923, Brother Hans G. Dick of North Scituate died, and by his will left his entire estate to Konohassett Lodge with the provision that the amount realized should be held in trust by the Lodge, ten percent of the income of which to be available annually for Lodge purposes, and the remaining ninety percent of the income to be allowed to accumulate for 100 years. At the expiration of the period the accumulated funds can be used for various charitable, educational and civic purposes, to benefit the Community of Cohasset and Scituate." The original Fund amounted to $35,000, and in 1964- had grown to more than $300,000. Any brother glancing through the records of the Lodge from 1923 on will be constantly reminded of the invaluable assistance rendered this Lodge by the thoughtful act of Brother Dick, and cannot fail to realize that the financial stability of the Lodge is due in no small part to his vision.

This history is by no means exhaustive, and no attempt has been made to laud the brethren who still carry on the work of Konohassett Lodge with interest and enthusiasm as exemplified, for instance, by Wor. Brother Harry H. Reed, Jr. who at this time has served the Lodge as Secretary for almost twenty-two years and Wor. Brother Thaxter Lapham who has acted as marshal for over thirty years.

I can think of no better way to close this history than to quote Rev. Brother Stanley's conclusion in his 75th anniversary paper. "But if Konohassett Lodge is to live on in a future as worthy as the past we must not be content simply to review that past. We must also master the knowledge of the living present. We must prove ourselves equal to the tasks and problems of our day. We must obey the law of life by moving on or die. Like every other institution we must justify our right to live by right living. Only by making Masonry a living, working reality can we call ourselves real Masons." May we accept the challenge and be equal to it as we move on through the next hundred years.


EVENTS

CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, JUNE 1866

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXV, No. 9, July 1866, p. 287:

This Lodge was constituted, and its officers publicly installed, at Cohasset, on Wednesday, the 27th June ultimo, by the M. W. Grand Lodge. The new hall, which is a very neat and convenient one, was also dedicated. The installation of the officers took place in the Town Hall, and in the presence of a large assemblage of ladies and gentlemen. At the conclusion of the ceremony the audience were addressed by the Rev. Brother Dadmun. The officers are as follows: —

  • W. M., George Beal, Jr.
  • S. W., James H. Bouve
  • J. W., Zaccheus Rich
  • Secretary, Q. O. Cole
  • Treasurer, A. T. Prouty
  • S. D., Charles A. Gross
  • J. D., M. B. Stetson
  • S. S., H. C. Mapes (D. W. Pratt, proxy)
  • J. S., H. Merritt
  • Tyler, Joseph H. Smith
  • Marshal, E. E. Tower.

The Lodge is well officered, and in a very prosperous condition.

50TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, JUNE 1915

From New England Craftsman, Vol. X, No. 10, July 1915, Page 354:

The fiftieth anniversary of Konohassett Lodge, Cohasset, Mass., was celebrated Saturday, June 19th. The Lodge was opened at 4.30 o'clock P. M. Worshipful Stanley C. Lacy in the chair. The first business was the reception of Grand Master Melvin M. Johnson, who was accompanied by the following members of the Grand Lodge: Roscoe Pound, Deputy Grand Master; Charles H. Ramsay, Grand Treasurer; Frederick W. Hamilton, grand secretary; Rev. Edward A. Horton, Grand Chaplain, Darius W. Gilbert, District Deputy Grand Master of the 27th District; Gardner R. P. Barker, District Deputy Grand Master of the 26th District; Leon M. Abbott and John McKim, past Grand Wardens; Robert G. Wilson, Grand Deacon; Howard M. North, Grand Steward and William M. Farrington, Grand Marshal.

The exercises in Masonic Hall were brief and the lodge closed at about 5.30. The brethren and their guests then proceeded to the Town Hall where a banquet was served to 105 persons.

During the banquet excellent music was provided by an orchestra composed mostly by Cohasset talent. Following the banquet there were interesting and instructive addresses by Grand Master Johnson, Deputy Grand Master Pound, Grand Secretary Hamilton, Grand Chaplain Horton, Past Grand Warden Abbott and Past Master Severns. The exercises were concluded at 9 P. M. In place of an historical address each person was presented with a handsome booklet in which was given a copy of the charter and a brief history compiled from the records of the lodge by Worshipful Brother John D. Hall.

The first meeting of Konohassett Lodge was held June 30, 1865. Its first officers were George Beal, Jr.. Worshipful Master; James H. Bouve Senior Warden; Zacchaus Rich, Junior Warden; Morgan B. Stetson, Secretary; Andrew J. Souther and Charle A. Gross, Deacons; Alexander T. Prouty, Tyler.

The first regular communication under the dispensation was held Jul} 7, 1865. The charter of the lodge was presented by Grand Master Charles C. Dame at a special communication June 27, 1866. The price of $50 per year for rent of the Hall in the first lease for a term of ten years seems marvelously low in the present era of high prices. This price was increased $10 per year in the next lease for five years. The lodge started with thirteen charter members, it had at the end of 1914 one hundred and nineteen members.


GRAND LODGE OFFICERS

OTHER BROTHERS


DISTRICTS

1865: District 5

1867: District 16 (Plymouth)

1883: District 25 (Hingham)

1911: District 27 (Plymouth)

1927: District 27 (Plymouth)

2003: District 18


LINKS

Lodge web site

Massachusetts Lodges