Quinebaug

From MasonicGenealogy
Revision as of 10:16, 26 March 2013 by Hotc1733 (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

QUINEBAUG LODGE

Location: Southbridge

Chartered By: Winslow Lewis

Charter Date: 12/12/1860 VI-332

Precedence Date: 12/07/1859

Current Status: Active


PAST MASTERS

  • Chester A. Dresser, 1859-1863
  • Levi Bartlett, 1864, 1867
  • Samuel Harrington, 1865
  • Noah D. Ladd, 1866
  • Charles S. Edmunds, 1868, 1869
  • Pliny T. Litchfield, 1870-1874; SN
  • J. M. Cochran, 1875-1877; SN
  • Otis S. Brainard, 1878-1881
  • William H. Clarke, 1882, 1883
  • Frederick W. Rowley, 1884-1887
  • John William McKinstry, 1888, 1889
  • William W. Howland, 1890-1892
  • Samuel S. Silva, 1893
  • George C. Winter, 1894; SN
  • George W. Corey, 1895, 1896
  • Lyman E. Sibley, 1897-1899
  • John A. Hall, 1900, 1901
  • Elmer E. Clark, 1902
  • Channing M. Wells, 1903
  • C(harles). Fred Hill, 1904-1906; SN
  • J. Cheney Wells, 1907, 1908
  • Linus R. B. Coit, 1909
  • Henry J. Roan, 1910
  • Harry P. Oldham, 1911
  • Henry A. Hill, 1912
  • L. Willis Bugbee, 1913
  • Henry B. Montague, 1914, 1919
  • William G. Reed, 1915
  • Edward L. Chapin, 1916
  • A. Marcy Bartholomew, 1917
  • Franklin C. Monroe, 1918; N
  • C. Edgar Hanson, 1920
  • Allan H. Faxon, 1921
  • George O. Severy, 1922
  • Arthur W. Harlow, 1923
  • Edwin L. Claflin, 1924
  • J. Earl Eaton, 1925
  • Farquahar Alexander Skinner, 1926
  • George A. Alley, 1927
  • Charles F. Corey, 1928
  • Alexander Steen, Jr., 1929
  • J. Irwin Morris, 1930
  • Harry G. Bingley, 1931
  • Ralph C. Whitehead, 1932
  • Willard E. Munday, 1933
  • Royal W. White, 1934, 1935
  • Willard E. Munday, 1936
  • William W. Estabrook, 1937
  • Ernest B. Lord, 1938
  • Byron J. Ziegler, 1939
  • Robert P. Montague, 1940
  • Ernest W. Parker, 1941
  • Alexander Walkinshaw, 1942
  • Louis F. Rowe, 1943
  • Arthur W. Olson, 1944
  • Jesse A. Blackburn, 1945
  • Ralph M. Simons, 1946
  • Lester B. Holden, 1947
  • William H. Reynolds, 1948
  • Christie V. Stevens, 1949
  • Joseph Owen, 1950
  • Albert V. Young, 1951
  • Frederick J. Voltz, Jr., 1952; SN
  • John J. Barnard, Jr., 1953, 1954
  • Alton N. Cowles, 1955
  • E. Kenneth Harwood, 1956
  • George H. Hall, 1957
  • Lawrence J. Freeman, 1958
  • Francis M. Sharp, 1959
  • Albert M. Barnes, 1960, 1961
  • Wilson F. Fairfield, 1962
  • Stanley K. Thorpe, 1963
  • Sam V. Sotir, 1964
  • Henry J. Egan, 1965; SN
  • Ellwood C. Lavergne, 1966, 1967
  • Thomas Andrea, Sr., 1968
  • Clarence E. Stone, 1969
  • Norman F. Powers, 1970
  • Wayne R. Sentance, 1971
  • Elmer J. Hicks, Jr., 1972-1975, 1977-1979, 1987
  • Thomas Andrea, Sr., 1976
  • Raymond W. Benoit, 1980-1983, 1985; PDDGM
  • Peter Baldracchi, 1984, 1986
  • Robert H. Willman, 1988-1990
  • Norman O. Cloutier, 1991, 1992
  • Raymond R. Vallee, 1993
  • Raymond R. J. Vallee, 1994
  • Raymond J. Ciani, 1995, 1997, 2012
  • Richard J. MacDonald, 1996
  • Frederick R. Morin, 1998, 1999; PDDGM
  • Harry L. Penniman, Jr., 2000
  • Monserrate Muniz, Jr., 2001
  • Daniel J. Landry, 2002-2004, 2010
  • Jean D. LeFebure, 2005-2007
  • George S. Makara, 2008, 2009, 2011

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition for Dispensation: 1859
  • Petition for Charter: 1860

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1934 (75th Anniversary)
  • 1960 (Centenary)
  • 2010 (150th Anniversary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1869 1870 1871 1879 1882 1885 1916 1917 1923 1925 1929 1967 1973 1981 2005

HISTORY

  • 1934 (75th Anniversary History, 1934-182)
  • 1960 (Centenary History, 1960-106)
  • 1972 (List of Masonic Historical Dates in Southbridge and vicinity, 1972-76)

OTHER

  • 1923 (Appeal from Master's ruling, 1923-325)

EVENTS

DEDICATION OF SOUTHBRIDGE HALL

From Moore's Freemasons' Monthly Magazine, XXX:2, December 1, 1870, Page 42ff:

"The new Masonic Hall of Quinebaug Lodge, at Southbridge, was solemnly dedicated, with the usual ceremonies, to the purposes of Freemasonry, on Thursday, the 3d of November, ult., at which time the officers for the current year were also installed into their respective places. Both ceremonies were performed by P.G.M. Hon. Charles C. Dame, assisted by a delegation from the Grand Lodge; the former in the afternoon of the day, in the presence of the members of the Lodge and visiting brethren from the neighboring towns. The Installation ceremonies were public, and were witnessed by the ladies of the brethren and other invited guests. The Hall and ante-rooms were filled to their greatest capacity, and we have rarely seen a more intelligent and agreeabe assemblage of ladies and gentlemen on any similar occasion. The ceremonies were well conducted, and the charges given in a clear, solemn and impressive manner, and were listened to by all present with evident manifestations of interest and pleasure.

"The apartments occupy an entire floor or plat of a large and handsome brick building, and consist of a Lodge room of sufficent capacity for the purposes for which it is to be used, a neat and convenient preparation room, a kitchen and banqueting hall of sufficient size to seat three or four hundred persons at the tables. This hall we understand, it is proposed to use as a Chapter room, whenever hereafter it may be deemed expedient to organize such a body in the town. The principal hall is richly and neatly furnished, the furniture being of black walnet, suitably covered with rep. The carpet, which was manufactured for the purpose, is of a superior quality of three-ply, and is covered with Masonic emblems. Taken as a whole, including the size and arrangement of the rooms, their adaptation to the business of the Lodge, the quality of the furnishing, &c., the entire ensemble leaves little or nothing further to be desired.

"The Lodge was constituted in 1860, with thirteen members. It now has upon its roll one hundred members, comprising a large proportion of the most intelligent, active and wealthy men of the beautiful village in which it is located. It is ably officered, and justly ranks among the best lodges in the jurisdiction.

"At the conclusion of the ceremonies, the company, numbering some one hundred and fifty or more ladies and gentlemen, were conducted to the banqueting hall, where the tables were spread with a beautiful and well served supper, and where a couple of hours were spent in a social and agreeable way. The more intellectual part of the ceremonies here, was opened by W. Bro. Chester Dresser, the first master of the Lodge, in an interesting narrative of the circumstances attending the recovery of the Charter of the old Doric Lodge (which went out of existence in the earlier days of the anti-Masonic excitement in 1828), and the substitution of the present Lodge. Other speeches followed, at the close of which the company separated.

"It affords us pleasure to add that the delegation from the Grand Lodge was received in the kindest manner, and that every provision for their comfort and enjoyment, while in the town, was extended to them by the brethren of the Lodge."


GRAND LODGE OFFICERS

DISTRICTS

1859: District 6

1867: District 11 (Worcester)

1883: District 19 (Southbridge)

1911: District 20 (Southbridge)

1927: District 20 (Southbridge)

1931: District 21 (Brookfield)

2003: District 24


LINKS

Massachusetts Lodges