Chartered By: Charles C. Dame
Charter Date: 06/13/1866 VII-81
Precedence Date: 06/15/1865
Current Status: Active
- George Beal, 1865, 1866
- James H. Bouvé, 1867-1869
- Zacheus Rich, 1870
- Charles A. Gross, 1871, 1872
- William J. Newcomb, 1873
- Andrew W. Williams, 1874-1876
- David Bates, 1877, 1878
- Alfred A. Seaverns, 1879, 1880
- George H. Bates, 1881-1884
- Edward E. Ellms, 1885, 1886
- John O. Hall, 1887, 1888
- James A. Bouve, 1889, 1890
- Amos A. Lawrence, 1891, 1892; Memorial
- Edward F. Ripley, 1893
- Thomas A. Rich, 1894, 1895
- Harry W. Souther, 1896, 1897
- Harry E. Mapes, 1898, 1899
- William E. Crocker, 1900, 1901
- Stephen R. Nichols, 1902, 1903
- Burton S. Treat, 1904, 1905
- Herbert E. Fernald, 1906
- Darius W. Gilbert, 1907, 1908; N
- Edward E. H. Souther, 1909, 1910
- Edgar W. Bates, 1911
- Eugene N. Tower, 1912, 1913
- Stanley C. Lary, 1914, 1915
- Peter W. Sharp, 1916, 1917
- Anselm L. Beal, 1918, 1919
- Merton L. Bosworth, 1920, 1921
- Harry H. Reed, 1922, 1923; N
- Milton L. Kerr, 1924
- Walter C. Wheelwright, 1925, 1926
- Sargent F. Tower, 1927, 1928
- Harold F. Barnes, 1929
- Conrad W. Carlander, 1930, 1931
- Ziba T. Lapham, 1932, 1933
- Harold S. Bandura, 1934, 1935
- Robert V. Collier, 1936, 1948; N
- Arthur L. Lehr, 1937, 1938
- Charles B. Walsh, 1939
- G. Warren Bates, 1940
- John D. Beal, 1941
- Harry H. Reed, Jr., 1942, 1943
- Norman Card, 1944, 1945
- Thomas D. Vass, 1946, 1947
- Ronald G. Beal, 1949, 1950
- Frank Wheelwright, 1951, 1952
- Harold G. Goodwin, 1953, 1954
- Milton L. Kerr, Jr., 1955
- George W. Orr, 1956
- Robert G. Pyne, 1957
- George W. Dunlap, 1958
- Carlton S. Pratt, 1959
- Kenneth L. Burnside, 1960
- Norman F. Megathlin, 1961
- Stanley MacLeod, 1962
- John E. Hunt, 1963
- Harry H. Ritter, 1964
- Robert B. O'Quin, 1965, 1966; SN
- Nelson C. Pratt, Jr., 1967; PDDGM
- David D. Honick, 1968; PDDGM
- David M. Blossom, 1969
- Donald W. Pratt, 1970
- Michael Sawchuk, 1971
- Kjeil H. Pehrson, 1972
- Don E. Harrold, 1973
- George E. Dixon, 1974
- Robert W. MacNeill, 1975, 1990
- Lot E. Bates, 1976
- Francis J. Mitchell, 1977
- Edward E. Ettinger, 1978
- John J. Rhodes, III, 1979, 1989
- Alan S. James, 1980
- David E. James, 1981, 1982
- Millard E. MacNeill, 1983
- Brian L. James, 1984
- Laurence S. James, 1985
- Joseph M. Tierney, 1986
- Donald F. McCormack, 1987, 1995
- Herbert I. Lewis, 1988-1991; PDDGM
- Thomas J. Hill, 1992, 1993
- Duncan T. McCormack, 1994
- Donald W. Pratt, 1996
- John Millard MacNeill, 1997, 2005, 2006, 2012
- Robert William MacNeill, 1998, 1999, 2008
- William P. Miller, 2000
- Brian P. Aiguier, 2001
- Paul A. Salvas, 2003
- Jordan C. MacNeill, 2004
- John J. Rhodes, III, 2007
- Bradford C. Goodwin, 2009-2011
75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, SEPTEMBER 1940
From Proceedings, Page 1940-272:
By Rev. Fred Veston Stanley:
It is not easy to write the history of a Masonic Lodge although its formal records may be detailed and accurate. The dates, the names of its officers and members, the routine account of votes passed, ritual observed and occasional special events recorded, can be summed up on a few written pages. But the part Masonry has performed in infuencing the lives of the men who have made up its membership for seventy-five years, as well as the contribution their lives have made to the Lodge and to the community, can never be summed up in words. We can however review the outstanding events and achievements, pay tribute to those whose clear vision.and faithful labors founded Konohassett Lodge and those who have caried on through the succeeding years, and we can pledge ourselves anew to so exemplify the high ideals and principles of our Fraternity, in our own day that we may add a worthy chapter to this history in the days ahead.
Twenty-five years ago a history of this Lodge was read by Worshipful Brother John O. Hall at our fiftieth anniversary and this has been preserved in printed form. There is nothing new to record of those fifty years but an abridged review of that excellent account is included in this paper.
Seventy-five years ago last June the 13th, Most Worshipful William Parkman, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, granted a dispensation to A. J. Souther, Zaccheus Rich, James H. Bouvé, Alexander T. Prouty, J. O. Cole, Howland Studley, Edward E. Tower, Henry C. Mapes, Henry Merritt, Andrew Poole and Joseph H. Smith, to organize a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons and to initiate, pass and raise candidates. George Beal, Jr. was appointed to be the first Masterj James H. Bouvé, Senior Warden; Zaccheus Rich, Junior Warden.
On June 30, 1865, the first meeting was held. Two committees were appointed - one to prepare By-laws, the other to make arrangements for a hall for the meetings of the Lodge. At the July meeting it was voted to lease the hall over Brother Frederick E. Tower's store on the West side of the Common, for a period of ten years at the rate of $50.00 per year. A committee was appointed to repair and furnish the hall at a cost not to exceed $500.00. Each member was assessed $20.00 in part payment for this expense.
At a Special Communication on June 27, 1866, Most Worshipful Grand Master Charles C. Dame and other officers of the Grand Lodge were present, the Charter of Konohassett Lodge was presented and the Grand Lodge officers [http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=Konohassett#CONSTITUTION_OF_LODGE.2C_JUNE_1866 consecrated the Lodge] to Ancient Free and Accepted Masonry and dedicated the Lodge.
At the expiration of ten years, the lease of the Tower Hall was renewed for five years at the rate of $60.00 per year. In the spring of 1891, the furniture and all Lodge property were taken from this hall and a committee was appointed to procure land and erect a building for Lodge uses. The summer meetings were omitted. The September and October meetings were held in the Odd Fellow's Hall. The regular November meeting was held in the Lodge-room of the new Masonic building, with forty members and seventy-five visitors, including Right Worshipful District Deputy Stephen Foster and his suite, present. The Temple was publicly dedicated by the officers of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts on June 29, 1892. The final report of the building committee showed the entire cost with everything complete to be $7,267.59, $2,500.00 of which amount had been raised by subscriptions.
The Relief Fund of $91,000.00 was invested in the building and the balance was raised by a mortgage. Special credit was accorded Worshipful A. A. Lawrence for money advanced to make payments promptly on the construction of the building and to the members of the building committee for their faithful and efficient services, to the Lodge and to the Fraternity at large.
In the early years the initiation fee for the degrees was set at $35.00; the annual dues were $2.00; raised to $4.00 in 1868 and to $6.00 in 1922. There was also a 95.00 membership fee. The Master Mason's degree did not give title to membership. It was necessary to make formal application and be voted on for membership at a future meeting. In September, 1886, the rule was changed to conform to a decree of the Grand Lodge and henceforth all brothers receiving the M. M. degree became members on signing the By-laws. In 1922 the initiation fee was raised to $50.00, ten dollars of each fee to be paid to the Lodge Trustees.
In 1902 an organ was purchased for the Lodge at a cost of $175.00, fifty-eight brothers subscribing. ln 1924 new furnishings were provided for the Lodge at a cost of $925.00. In 1926 a small Library of Masonic books was purchased by the Lodge and placed in a suitable case in one of the anterooms. In 1934 new regalia for all the officers was provided.
The records show that in addition to frequent benefits paid to sick and needy Brethren or to their families in case of death, the Lodge has often responded to special appeals outside the bounds of its own membership with generous contributions: To the Charleston, S. C. sufferers after the earthquake of 1886; to the George Washington Memorial at Alexandria, Va.; to the Masonic Home; to the Mississippi flood victims; to war relief; to mention only a few of the more notable.
In 1887 the custom of providing each retiring Master with a Past Master's jewel was established. Previous to this date the jewels had been purchased by contributions from the Brethren.
At the annual meeting in 1890, the Secretary reported that of the membership of seventy-one, fifty-six of whom resided in Cohasset or its vicinity, nearly fifty percent had attended each of the sixteen meetings of the preceding year. A much better record of attendance than recent years can show.
The 25th Anniversary of the Lodge was observed in November 1890, by a public installation of officers in the Town Hall. Most Worshipful Grand Master Samuel Wells, with a distinguished suite, was in attendance and the Grand Lecturer, Gifford H. G. McGrew conducted the installation. The Secretary records that it was a bright and joyous occasion.
The 50th Anniversary of the Lodge was observed on June 19, 1915. The presence of Most Worshipful Grand Master, Melvin M. Johnson, with a large suite of Grand Lodge officers and representatives of sister Lodges, made the occasion a notable one. A full account of the proceedings with the historical account then read, and from which I have taken freely for this paper, has been preserved in the archives. Only three of the thirteen Past Masters of Konohassett Lodge then living are still with us.
At the close of the first World War an Honor Roll was procured and the names of the Lodge Members who entered the service of their country were inscribed thereon. These names are as follows:
- George H. Mealy (Killed in France July, 1918)
- Kendall T. Bates
- Carl A. Bates
- Oscar F. Bandura
- Dr. Frederick Hinchliffe
- Sheldon N. Ripley
- Horace Sutcliffe
- Charles W. Stevens
- Odin Towle
- Eugene N. Tower
- Dr. George Osgood
- Rev. Howard K. Bartow (Worked in ministerial capacity under Epis. Church at Camp Devens)
- Stanley C. Lary (Secretary Y.M.C.A. in France)
To these may be added service men who became members of Konohassett Lodge after the war:
- Harold F. Barnes
- Joseph M. Brest
- Roland T. Phillips
- Julian C. Howe
- Norman Card
- Douglas R. Ross
- L. Thaxter Lapham
- Robert V. Collier
- Charles B. Walsh
- Harold S. Bandura
- Irving L. Hyland
- J. Philip Wittemore
The Lodge participated in the 150th anniversary of the organization of the Town of Cohasset in the summer of 1921 by a substantial contribution to the Town Pageant Committee and by a public observance on Sunday, July 10th, in the First Parish Church, a service in which the three ministers of the Churches on the Common took part. Special music was rendered by the McDowell Male Quartette and an eloquent and stiring address was delivered by Worshipful Brother Francis L. Beal, Ph.D., D.D., L.L.D., of Cambridge, Mass., brother of our present Senior Warden.
On March 13, 1923 one of our faithful members, Brother Hans G. Dick of North Scituate, died and by his will left his entire estate to Konohassett Lodge with the provisions that the amount realized should be held in trust by the Lodge, ten percent of the income of which to be available annually for Lodge purposes and the remaining ninety percent of the income to be allowed to accumulate for 100 years. At the expiration of this period the accumulated funds can be used for various charitable, educational and civic purposes to benefit the communities of Cohasset and Scituate. The original Fund amounted to $35,100 and has already grown to more than $72,000.
The Special Communication of Nov. 27, 1927, is recorded by the Secretary "as marking one of the high lights of the Lodge." Most Worshipful Grand Master, Frank L. Simpson, accompanied by a suite of sixteen Grand Lodge officers, was in attendance, also members and officers from neighboring Lodges. 'After a banquet served in the vestry of the Second Congregational Church, the Grand Master and his suite, accompanied by Worshipful Master Sargent F. Tower and other Lodge officers, went to the home of Brother Newcomb B. Tower where the "Veteran's Medal" for 50 years service as a Mason was fittingly bestowed upon him by the Grand Master. Brother Tower, Town Treasurer for so many years, became a member of the Lodge on June 18, 1868. Returning to the Lodge rooms the distinguished visitors were formally intoduced and Worshipful Brother James O. Hall was presented with a Veteran's Medal by the Grand Master. Brother Hall became a member of Konohassett Lodge in June, 1873; was Master of the Lodge in 1887 and 1888. Jointly with Right Worshipful A. A. Lawrence he had presented the Lodge with the Rough and Perfect Ashlars. He had given the working tools used in the exemplification of the degrees and later the Membership book in which he wrote in proper order and beautiful penmanship the names of all the Brethren belonging at that period. He was made an honorary member in 1925. He wrote the historical account for the fiftieth anniversary and throughout his long life splehdidly exemplified the Masonic virtues of Friendship, Love and fidelity.
Other members of this Lodge who have received the "Veteran's Medal" for 50 years of Masonic service are worthy of our grateful remembrance.
- Worshipful A. A. Seaverns received his medal in 1916. He was raised in 1866 and served as Master during 1879 and 1880. He was the color bearer of the Lodge for many years. He died in 1918.
- Brother Herbert L. Brown was presented with the Veteran's Medal by Right Worshipful District Deputy Charles B. Worrick at the October meeting, 1936. Brother Brown was raised in 1886 and served the Lodge as Treasurer from 1905 to the year of his death, 1938, a total of nearly 33 years. At the meeting mentioned above, Worshipful Peter W. Sharp on behalf of the Lodge presented htm with a special medal in recognition of his long and
faithful service as Treasurer.
- Brother Oliver H. Howe was presented with a Veteran's Medal from the Grand Lodge by Right Worshipful District Deputy Charles B. Worrick on Decembet 10, 1937. On that occasion Dr. Howe presented to the Lodge and to each of the three principal officers, a piece of stone from the quarries under the site of King Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem, which he had brought from a visit to the Holy Land several years before.
- Right Worshipful Charles B. Worrick at the same meeting, on behaif of the Lodge, presented a special medal to his father, Brother Levi Lincoln Worrick, in recogniton of his long and faithful service as Tyler of Konohassett Lodge. Brother Worrick retired from the office of Tyler at the end of 1938 after having served in that capacity for 35 years. He is still, at 88 years of age, a frequent attendant at the Lodge meetings.
Since 1886 the Lodge has been fortunate in having the continuous service of a clergyman as Chaplain, Rev. John Wesley Savage, Rev. James Bishop, Rev. Milo H. Gates, Rev. Howard K. Bartow, serving in succession until December, 1920, since which date the author of this paper has enjoyed that honor. A special word regarding Brother Gates is in order. As Rector of St. Stephen's Parish from 1898 to 1903, his untiring efforts were mainly responsible for the erection of the beautiful St. Stephen's Church Building. He removed to New York City and later became Dean of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. He refused the Chaplaincy of the Grand. Lodge of New York because it involved the giving up of his membership in our Lodge. He kept in touch with the community by making his summer home here until his death a few months ago.
The Secretary having the longest term of office during the existence of the Lodge is Brother Edward L. Stevens who is still with us. He was Secretary from 1911 to 1923. Right Worshipful Distict Deputy Harry H. Reed has the second longest term as Secretary, having served from 1930 until the present time. Konohassett Lodge has been honored by the Most Worshipful Grand Masters in appointing three of our Past Masters to the office of District Deputy Grand Master of the 27th Masonic District - A. A. Lawrence, Dr. Darius W. Gilbert and Harry H. Reed, the present Distict Deputy Grand Master.
In Brother Hall's paper 25 years ago, he gave special recognition to several other Brethren whose names may again be fittingly recalled. There was Worshipful Brother James H. Bouvé, whom he called the "Father of Konohasset Lodge, untiring in long continued service to the Lodge, friendly in his influence, and always persistent that the officers of the Lodge maintain the highest efficiency in their work" and Right Worshipful Amos A. Lawrence who is described as "perhaps the most efficient and worthy member up to the time of his death in 1906. He was most conspicuous in his labors incidental to the erection and dedication of the Masonic Temple, rendering great financial assistance as well as the benefit of a well trained business experience." Brother Morgan B. Stetson "served in almost every capacity in the work of the Lodge except that of Master and occupied the position of Treasurer with credit for many years."
To these names I add two more who are no longer with us but whose memory we cherish with grateful appreciation and feel that they are worthy of our honor.
- William E. Crocker. After retiring from the East he served for many years as Marshal. His strong personal interest in Freemasonry, his constant desire to extend the influence of his Lodge, his willingness to give time and labor freely for the Lodge's welfare, his accurate knowledge of the ritual made him a valued and active participant in all the deliberations and activities of the Lodge.
- Eugene N. Tower. Big hearted and friendly, his cheerful nature brightened the hearts of all who knew him. He was Secretary of the Lodge from 1903 to 1906; Worshipful Master in 1912 and 1913; member of the National Guard serving on the Mexican border in 1916 and in the regular army over seas in the first World War; Trustee of the Dick Fund; Selectman of Cohasset in his last years. There has been no other like him. No one who knew him in the Lodge, and especially no candidate, can ever forget his eloquent delivery of the "Charge to the Candidate" - a service which successive Masters called upon him to perform.
Among officers past and present with long records of service who are still with us, we can mention:
- Edward E. H. Souther, Worshipful Master 1908 and 1909; Trustee for many years; Marshal for a long term, always interested in and working for
the welfare of the Lodge.
- Peter W. Sharp. Secretary 1906 and again from 1924 to 1927 - Worshipful Master 1976 and 1917. Always giving his best to the Lodge.
- Dr. Darius W. Gilbert. Worshipful Master 1906 and 1907; Trustee and Member of the Relief Committee for many years. Selectman of Cohasset for many years. District Deputy Grand Master in 1914 and 1915. Constant in attendance, friend to everyone.
- Burgess C. Tower, Organist, still in ofice. He has conducted the musical service of the Lodge for more than forty years.
- Samuel B. Bates, whose vocal solos for twenty-eight years have added enrichment and impressiveness to the work of the degrees.
- Stephen R. Nichols. Worshipful Master 1900 and 1901; Marshal for several years; Trustee and Treasurer of the Board of Trustees for several terms. No Brother has had more at heart the interests of this Lodge. No Brother has been more constant in attendance. As senior Past Master he has for years usually been appointed Chairman of the Committee to wait upon and introduce the Right Worshipful District Deputies on their periodic visitations.
It was a matter of particular interest to the members of the Lodge to learn that the oldest Past Master in the State of Washington, Worshipful Brother Joseph Warren Clapp, received the Ancient Masonic degrees in Konohassett Lodge in 1868. He was given special honors in the Whidby Island Lodge in Couperville, Washington, on May 9, 1938, in commemoration of his having attained the age of 95 and of his having completed 70 years of active Masonry. He died at the advanced age of 97.
There have been raised in the Lodge during the 75 years, 303 Masons. There are now 4 Honorary Members and 113 regular members on the roll. We have had 39 Worshipful Masters, of whom 17 are now living.
I have touched only a few points in the annals of 75 years. But if Konohassett Lodge is to live on in a future as worthy as the past, we must not be content simply to review that past. We must also master the knowledge of the living present. We must prove ourselves equal to the tasks and problems of our day. We must obey the law of life by moving on or die. Like every other institution we must justify our right to live by right living. Only by making Masonry a living, working reality can we call ourselves real Masons. M"y we accept the challenge and be equal to it as we move on toward our one hundredth anniversary.
CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, JUNE 1866
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXV, No. 9, July 1866, p. 287:
This Lodge was constituted, and its officers publicly installed, at Cohasset, on Wednesday, the 27th June ultimo, by the M. W. Grand Lodge. The new hall, which is a very neat and convenient one, was also dedicated. The installation of the officers took place in the Town Hall, and in the presence of a large assemblage of ladies and gentlemen. At the conclusion of the ceremony the audience were addressed by the Rev. Brother Dadmun. The officers are as follows: —
- W. M., George Beal, Jr.
- S. W., James H. Bouve
- J. W., Zaccheus Rich
- Secretary, Q. O. Cole
- Treasurer, A. T. Prouty
- S. D., Charles A. Gross
- J. D., M. B. Stetson
- S. S., H. C. Mapes (D. W. Pratt, proxy)
- J. S., H. Merritt
- Tyler, Joseph H. Smith
- Marshal, E. E. Tower.
The Lodge is well officered, and in a very prosperous condition.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Robert V. Collier, DDGM, District 27 (Plymouth), 1950, 1951; N
- Darius W. Gilbert, DDGM, District 27 (Plymouth), 1915; N
- David D. Honick, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1996, 1997
- Amos A. Lawrence, DDGM, District 25 (Hingham), 1895; Memorial
- Herbert I. Lewis, DDGM, District 18, 2004, 2005
- Robert B. O'Quin, DDGM, District 27 (Plymouth), 1970, 1971; SN
- Nelson C. Pratt, Jr., DDGM, District 27 (Plymouth), 1986, 1987
- Harry H. Reed, DDGM, District 27 (Plymouth), 1940, 1941; N