- 1 MANET LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.4.1 EXPLANATION OF LODGE NAME
- 2.4.2 25TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1946
- 2.4.3 50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MAY 1972
- 184.108.40.206 1946
- 220.127.116.11 1947
- 18.104.22.168 1948
- 22.214.171.124 1949
- 126.96.36.199 1950
- 188.8.131.52 1951
- 184.108.40.206 1952
- 220.127.116.11 1953
- 18.104.22.168 1954
- 22.214.171.124 1955
- 126.96.36.199 1956
- 188.8.131.52 1957
- 184.108.40.206 1958
- 220.127.116.11 1959
- 18.104.22.168 1960
- 22.214.171.124 1961
- 126.96.36.199 1962
- 188.8.131.52 1963
- 184.108.40.206 1964
- 220.127.116.11 1965
- 18.104.22.168 1966
- 22.214.171.124 1967
- 126.96.36.199 1968
- 188.8.131.52 1969
- 184.108.40.206 1970
- 220.127.116.11 1971
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.7 DISTRICTS
- 2.8 LINKS
Chartered By: Arthur D. Prince
Charter Date: 06/14/1922 1922-234
Precedence Date: 07/20/1921
- Hartley L. White, 1922; SN
- George W. Brown, 1923, 1924
- Byron C. Miller, 1925, 1926
- Roy Prout, 1927, 1928; N
- Willard O. Cooke, 1929
- William E. Wallace, 1930, 1931
- Walter A. Mitchell, 1932
- Sidney E. Hoyt, 1933, 1934
- Laurence B. Ford, 1935
- Arthur S. Cormack, 1936, 1937
- Albert E. Allan, 1938
- James A. Boyd, 1939
- George E. West, 1940; SN
- Alexander Harding, 1941; N
- Leslie M. Brierley, 1942
- Henry H. Dahl, 1943
- Wilfred H. Clarke, 1944
- Lawrence E. Brown, 1945
- Alexander Smith, 1946
- C. Everett Lister, 1947
- Donald M. Deware, 1948
- Leroy H. Goodwin, 1949
- Calvin W. Black, 1950
- John E. Williams, 1951
- J. Lawrence Widdop, 1952
- Wilfred O. Creighton, 1953
- William F. Greene, 1954
- Albert B. Johnson, 1955
- Alexander E. Warmington, 1956
- Harvey C. Miller, 1957
- John A. Evans, 1958
- Perry H. Wedge, 1959
- Earl J. Sweeney, 1960
- Roy A. Lawson, 1961
- Cleveland O. Wheelock, 1962
- Maurice I. Shauffer, 1963
- LeBaron R. Nobles, 1964
- William E. Whidden, Jr., 1965
- Wallis S. Bean, 1966
- James J. Mulloy, Jr., 1967
- Ronald W. Neilson, 1968
- Robert D. Parker, 1969; N
- William B. Parker, 1970
- Arthur W. Tucker, 1971
- George L. Pooler, 1972
- Robert L. Brown, 1973
- Lloyd C. Buker, 1974
- John Anderson, Jr., 1975
- Theodore G. Sharpe, 1976
- Sydney H. Fox, 1977
- Arthur H. Lemieux, 1978
- James S. Mulloy, 1979
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1921
- Petition for Charter: 1922
- Consolidation Petition (with Theodore Roosevelt Lodge): 1979
- 1972 (50th Anniversary)
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1922 (Prince; Constitution of Lodge and installation; Special Communication)
- 1948 (Keith; reception for Grand Master of New Hampshire)
- 1972 (Deputy Grand Master Melanson; 50th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1979 (Melanson; Consolidation; Special Communication)
- 1922 (Explanation of lodge name, 1922-356; see below)
- 1946 (25th Anniversary History, 1946-51; see below)
- 1972 (50th Anniversary History, 1972-110; see below)
EXPLANATION OF LODGE NAME
Presented at the constitution of the lodge in 1922
It will be of interest to the present and future members of MANET LODGE to know something of the derivation of the name "MANET," and how it became the name of this Lodge.
It was a very happy suggestion of Brother Roy Prout that we take the name on the City Seal because of its association with the city history, and because of its appropriateness as a name for a Masonic Lodge. It is derived from the Latin word "Maneo" — which means "to remain," "to abide," "to continue," "to endure," and in Scripture the word is used in the quotation, Thou, O Lord, remainest forever, Thy throne from generation to generation." (Lam. v. 19.)
It was in 1888 that a committee was appointed to revise the Town Seal for use as the City Seal. The Chairman was Chas. Francis Adams. The suggestion was made by George W. Morton, a member of the committee, that Mt. Wollaston with its notable landmark — a single bent cedar tree — would be appropriate. The idea was adopted, a sketch made showing the hill, tree, and a bit of shore, and to the proper dates the word "MANET" was added. Thus the past, present, and future have been linked together in this design. The tree, ancient as it was, has passed away; a portion only of it is kept in City Hall. The hill, however, remains, and will continue — it will endure, as long as life exists on the face of the earth.
What more appropriate name could have been selected for the name of a Masonic Lodge! We are assembled here tonight to bring into fruition the desire to promote the interests of Masonry in this community; to endeavor to make its principles more generally known; and to teach and practice those valuable tenets which are so essential to the welfare and happiness of mankind. It is our purpose to serve our fellow men; to practice Charity in thought, word and deed; to lend a hand to those in need; to bring Light, and more Light, to those who are in darkness; and to disseminate those truths and principles which shall upbuild and strengthen those manly qualities which shall be a source of strength and stability in the social, civil, and moral life of the community, as Masonic Lodges have done in all ages before us.
With this purpose in mind, MANET LODGE should remain; it should continue; it should endure. Men come and go; kingdoms rise and fall; creeds are made and crumble away; but the principles upon which Masonry is founded will go on forever. So may MANET LODGE go on from generation to generation, expounding and exemplifying those principles and verities which shall promote Peace and Brotherly Love in the world, to the Honor and Glory of Him Who is our Supreme Grand Master.
25TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1946
From Proceedings, Page 1946-51:
By Worshipful J. Archie Boyd.
On May 14, 1921, a meeting was held at the Masonic Apartments to form plans for the organization of a new Blue Lodge to be located in Quincy. The following Master Masons were present: George W. Brown, Byron C. Miller, Arthur Newton, James Milne, William R. Ferris, Frank L. Kennedy, Willard O. Cook, Alexander A. Robertson, Alexander A. Mundie, Alexander W. Clark, Roy Prout, John E. Mundie, Walter F. Manhire, James E. Smith, and on motion, Brother George W. Brown was elected Chairman of the meeting and Brother Arthur Newton, Secretary.
At this meeting, it was voted to name the new Lodge, if formed, "Manet." An explanation of the name "Manet" and why it was adopted will be explained during this writing.
A committee consisting of Brothers Brown, Miller and Newton was appointed at this meeting to interview Right Worshipful H. Everett Crane and other Past Masters of Rural Lodge as to their willingness to serve in the offices of Worshipful Master and Senior Warden in the new Lodge while under dispensation and also to seek the sentiment of the members of Rural Lodge towards a new Lodge and to prepare reasons as to the advisability of such a movement at this time. It was also voted to petition all Lodges in the city for permission to form the new Lodge.
The next meeting was held in the Masonic apartments on June 11th, and at that time, Brother Brown reported that Rural Lodge had voted unanimously favorably on the petition.
Brother Brown also announced that Right Worshipful Hartley L. White, Past Master of Rural Lodge and Past District Deputy Grand Master of the 26th Masonic District, had acceded to the request that he serve as Master during the period of dispensation. Brother Brown also announced that the committee had been unable to secure a Past Master to serve as Senior Warden.
The Standing Committee of Rural Lodge, not desiring to nominate officers as requested, the petitioners present proceeded to nominate and elect officers to fill the usual elective stations, the result being as follows:
- Worshipful Master, R. W. Hartley L. White
- Senior Warden, George W. Brown
- Junior Warden, Byron C. Miller
- Treasurer, William Robie
- Secretary, Arthur Newton
- Chaplain, Rev. Sydney S. Booth
- Marshal, Charles A. Ross
- Senior Deacon, Roy Prout
- Junior Deacon, William Cantlay
- Senior Steward, W. O. Cook
- Junior Steward, Benjamin Bishop
- Sentinel, C. Willis Garey
- Organist, W. E. Wallace
- Tyler, Lawrence D. Duncan
Brother William Cantlay later relinquished his office and Fred H. Nickerson was appointed in his stead.
At this time Right Worshipful Brother White entered and made appropriate remarks regarding the new Lodge and pointed out the responsibilities and privileges of Masonry and was tendered an ovation.
The first special meeting of Manet Lodge was held on September 17, 1921. On this occasion, Right Worshipful Henry D. Higgins, District Deputy Grand Master of the 26th Masonic District, accompanied by Worshipful Walter J. Harrison, District Deputy Grand Marshal, entered the Lodge and assuming the East, proceeded to institute Manet Lodge according to the Constitutions and Regulations of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. At this meeting, thirty-five of the original petitioners answered when their names were called.
The officers listed above were then conducted to their respective stations, after which R.W. Brother White read the following paper explaining the selection and derivation of the name of the Lodge — "Manet."
It will be of interest to present, and future members of Manet Lodge to know something of the word "Manet" and how it became the name of this Lodge.
It was the happy suggestion of our Senior Deacon, Brother Roy Prout, that we take the name on the city seal because of its association with the city history and because of its appropriateness as a name for a Masonic Lodge. It is derived from the Latin word "Maneo" which means "to remain" — "to abide" — "to continue" — "to endure," and in Scripture, the word is used in the quotation: "Thou, O Lord remainest forever; Thy throne from generation to generation." (Lamentations 5:19) It was in 1888 that a committee was appointed to revise the Town Seal for use as the City Seal, the chairman was Charles Francis Adams. The suggestion was made by George W. Morton, a member of the committee, that Mount Wollaston with its notable landmark, a single bent Cedar tree, would be appropriate, the idea was adopted. A sketch made showing the hill, tree, and a bit of shore, and to the proper dates the word "Manet" was added. Thus the past, present and future have been linked together in this design. The tree ancient as it was has passed away; a portion of it only is kept in City Hall and Manet Lodge. The Hill, however, remains, and will continue; it will endure as long as life exists on the face of the earth.
What more appropriate name could have been selected for the name of a Masonic Lodge.
We are assembled here to-night to bring into fruition the desire to promote the interests of Free Masonry in this community; to endeavor to make its principles more generally known; and to teach and practice those valuable tenets which are so essential to the welfare and happiness of mankind.
It is our purpose to serve our fellowmen; to practice Charity in thought, word and deed; to lend a hand to those in need; to bring Light and more Light to those who are in darkness; and to disseminate those truths and principles which shall upbuild and strengthen those manly qualities which shall be a source of strength and stability in the social, civil and moral life of the community, as Masonic Lodges have done in all ages before us.
With these purposes in mind, Manet Lodge should remain; it should continue; it should endure. Men come and go; kingdoms rise and fall; creeds are made and crumble away, but the principles upon which Masonry is founded will go on forever. So may Manet Lodge go on from generation to generation expounding and exemplifying those principles and verities which shall promote peace and Brotherly Love in the world to the Honor and Glory of Him who is our Supreme Grand Master.
On September 29, 1922, the Grand Lodge opened a special communication for the purpose of constituting Manet Lodge. The Grand Lodge having been opened in an adjoining apartment, the Master and Wardens of Manet Lodge made a formal request for its constitution and this request was granted. The Grand Lodge officers entered the lodge-room and took their stations as follows:
- R. W. Dudley H. Ferrell, D. G. M., as Grand Master
- R. W. William M. Farrington, as Deputy Grand Master
- R. W. Herbert W. Dean, Senior Grand Warden
- R. W. Olin D. Dickerman, Junior Grand Warden
- R. W. Charles H. Ramsay, Grand Treasurer
- R. W. Frederick W. Hamilton, Grand Secretary
- R. W. Frank W. Dobson, Grand Marshal
- Wor. Rev. Edward A. Horton, Grand Chaplain
- Wor. Charles Dennee, Senior Grand Deacon
- Wor. Arthur L. Beals, Junior Grand Deacon
- Wor. Winthrop J. Cushing, Senior Grand Steward
- Wor. Walter I. Churchill, Junior Grand Steward
- Wor. Walter A. Ladd, Grand Standard Bearer
- Wor. Fred L. Moses, Grand Pursuivant
The Charter was read by the Right Worshipful Grand Secretary, and on their names being called, forty-eight of the petitioners responded. The Grand Lodge then proceeded to constitute Manet Lodge with the ancient ceremonials and most impressive ritual. Thus was Manet Lodge declared a regular and duly constituted Lodge.
The history of the institution and constitution of our Lodge is thus briefly recorded.
Any history of our Lodge could well give space and brotherly consideration to each Master's administration and record the achievements of his leadership as an officer over the years, since all have made a definite and lasting contribution to our Brotherhood.
On December 29, 1922, George W. Brown was installed as Master and served until December 30, 1924.
At the first meeting, the staffs of the Stewards and Deacons were presented to Manet Lodge by the Officers of 1922. The Tyler's sword was presented to the Lodge by Worshipful George W. Brown.
During the year a contribution to the George Washington Memorial Fund was made by the members of all Lodges in the District and Manet Lodge had the honor and distinction of being the first Lodge to contribute 100%.
The Tyler of the Lodge, Brother Lawrence D. Duncan, presented to the Lodge the Warden's and Marshal's batons, together with a gavel for the Master. Brother C. Willis Garey presented Manet Lodge with the working tools of the Entered Apprentice.
In recognition of his fine work, Worshipful George W. Brown was made the first honorary member in Manet Lodge.
On December 30, 1924, Byron C. Miller was installed as Master and served until January 7, 1927.
On October 31, 1926, Manet Lodge met at 2:00 p.m., together with other bodies in the Temple, to attend the laying of the corner stone of the new Masonic Temple on Hancock Street. Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, conducted the ceremony.
On January 7, 1927, Roy Prout was installed as Master and served until October 5, 1928. On November 11, 1927, the last meeting of Manet Lodge was held in the old Masonic apartments in Quincy Square and the Brethren gathered around the Altar, joined hands and sang "Auld Lang Syne." On November 21, 1927, the new Temple on Hancock Street was dedicated and Manet Lodge held its first meeting in these new apartments on December 9, 1927.
During Worshipful Brother Prout's term, the By-Laws were changed to make the annual meeting of Manet Lodge the first meeting in September.
On October 5, 1928, Willard O. Cook was installed Master. Worshipful Brother Cook had a very busy year and raised twenty-two new members — a record thus far in the history of Manet Lodge.
On October 4, 1929, William E. Wallace was installed Master, and served until October 2, 1931. During this period of our history, Manet Lodge, like all other Lodges, felt the effect of a world-wide depression, but Worshipful Wallace made his meetings very interesting by having the DeMolay Boys and Rainbow Girls exemplify their degree work for the benefit of the Master Masons of Manet Lodge.
On October 2, 1931, Walter A. Mitchell was installed Master. The years of depression were still with us, but Manet Lodge, through the fine work of its Worshipful Master, continued to grow.
On November 13, 1931, Worshipful Brother Roy Prout was made the second Honorary member of Manet Lodge.
On October 7, 1932, Sidney E. Hoyt was installed as Master and served until October 5, 1934. Worshipful Brother Hoyt and his officers made the first out of state visit made by Manet Lodge when they journeyed to Niantic, Connecticut, to exemplify the work of the Third Degree. Worshipful Brother Hoyt's health was not at its best and the latter part of his second term was conducted by the Senior Warden, Laurence B. Ford.
On October 5, 1934, Laurence B. Ford was installed as Master. On January 4, 1935, our parent Lodge, Rural Lodge of Quincy, with its Worshipful Master, Worshipful Raymond C. Warmington, and full line of officers, paid Manet Lodge its first official visit and assisted in the work of the evening. It was a very pleasant affair and it was hoped to be a forerunner of many more of its kind.
On February 10, 1935, our beloved Junior Past Master, Worshipful Sidney E. Hoyt, answered the call from the Supreme Architect of the Universe presiding in that great lodge-room where partings are no more, and death no longer has powers.
On October 4, 1935, Arthur S. Cormack was installed Master and served until October 1, 1937.
On December 12, 1936, the Worshipful Master, Wardens and Officers of Manet Lodge made their second visit out of the state, and journeyed to Granite Lodge No. 35, Barre, Vermont, to exemplify the Third Degree.
On June 13, 1937, Manet Lodge celebrated its fifteenth anniversary with the history of Manet Lodge being written and read by Brother Arthur Newton. The work of the evening was the Third Degree, with the original officers of Manet Lodge, as far as was possible, exemplifying the work.
On June 20, 1937, the members of Manet Lodge made their first pilgrimage to the Masonic Home in Charlton.
On October 1, 1937, Albert E. Allen was installed as Master. In May, 1938, Manet Lodge made its third visit out of the state, when it exemplified the Third Degree in Preble Lodge No. 143, Sanford, Maine.
On July 22, 1938, not only Manet Lodge, but the entire Masonic District, was shocked by the sudden death of our Junior Past Master, Worshipful Brother Arthur S. Cormack. Brother Cormack's death will be felt for many years to come in the Masonic organizations in this 26th District, and those of us who were privileged to know him will remember and value his genial friendship for all time.
On October 7, 1938, James A. Boyd was installed as Master. Joint Ladies' Nights with Atlantic Lodge were inaugurated during Worshipful Brother Boyd's term and have been held successfully each year to the present time.
On June 8, 1939, Worshipful Brother Boyd had the honor of being the first Worshipful Master of Manet Lodge to raise his own son to the sublime degree of Master Mason.
The Master, Wardens and Officers of Preble Lodge No. 143, Sanford, Maine, made a return visit to Manet Lodge and exemplified the Third Degree in accordance with the Maine ritual. The Maine Brethren were shown the historic highlights of Quincy the next day. It was a grand event and one to be long remembered.
On October 6, 1939, George E. West was installed as Master. The years of depression having passed, Worshipful Brother West received many new members into Manet Lodge. It was his desire to give the Brethren a little more entertainment after each meeting and through his efforts, the members enjoyed the great variety of novel meetings. Because of his endeavors, the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Albert A. Schaefer, saw fit to appoint him as one of his Stewards in the Grand Lodge — the first Grand Lodge office of any kind to come to a member of Manet Lodge.
On October 4, 1940, Alexander Harding was installed as Master. Worshipful Brother Harding started the policy in Manet Lodge of recognizing each member's natal day and to have him presented to the East and be congratulated by the Brethren. Worshipful Brother Harding was the first Past Master Councilor of Old Colony Chapter, Order of DeMolay, to attain the position of Master of a Masonic Lodge. During his term, he had his former Chapter of DeMolay visit Manet Lodge and confer the Second Degree on a group of new candidates, much to the enjoyment of the Brethren of Manet Lodge.
On October 3, 1941, Leslie M. Brierley was installed as Master. This was the first year that Brother Lawrence D. Duncan, due to illness, had not been installed as Tyler, a job he had so completely and competently filled since the inception of our Lodge. We only hope that Brother Duncan may have happiness for the remainder of his days and enjoy the happy reflections of a well-spent life.
World War II is upon us and the United States Army has taken over our Masonic Temple for war purposes. Worshipful Brother Brierley, determined that Manet Lodge was to continue and do good in times like these, procured the Atlantic Masonic Temple for our meetings during the months of December, 1941, and January, February and March, 1942. This sudden departure from our quarters caused Worshipful Brother Brierley to forsake the many plans he had for his year, but Manet Lodge was fortunate to have a man of his caliber at the helm in such trying times. The Ladies' Night was not forsaken this year and was held in the Bethany Congregational Church.
On October 2, 1942, Henry H. Dahl was installed as Master. The officers and members of Manet Lodge were now concentrating on doing what we could do for our servicemen; many men were joining Masonry and then going off to fight for the ideals for which Masonry stands. Many of our Brethren were called into the service, and an Honor Roll bearing the names of those Brothers who had answered the call was presented to Manet Lodge by our Marshal and Mayor of the City of Quincy, Brother Charles A. Ross.
On October 1, 1943, Brother Wilfred H. Clarke was installed as Master of the Lodge. Worshipful Brother Clarke went right to work and saw that Manet Lodge was doing all in its power to help the war effort by buying as many War Bonds as the Lodge could afford. The Masonic Service Fund, under the direction of the Grand Lodge and which was so successful, had the 100% backing of the members of Manet Lodge and Worshipful Brother Clarke received a certificate of merit from the Grand Lodge for a job well done.
The largest crowd ever to assemble in the Quincy Masonic Temple for a third degree was on Manet Lodge's meeting of November 12, 1943, when the Kilwinning Club made its first appearance in Quincy. Dressed in kilts, and the music being furnished by bagpipes, their team work was excellently rendered.
On April 27, 1944, the 26th Masonic District gave a reception to the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Artrmr W. Coolidge. The Master and Wardens of Manet Lodge served on the committees to help make this affair a success. Our Junior Warden, Brother Alexander Smith, was Chairman of Dinners and Arrangements.
On October 6, 1944, Brother Lawrence E. Brown was installed as Master of the Lodge.
Manet Lodge was honored by the Grand Lodge in having its first District Deputy Grand Master in the person of Brother Alexander Harding. Right Worshipful Brother Harding chose as his Marshal another Past Master of Manet Lodge, Worshipful Henry H. Dahl, and as his Secretary, Worshipful Charles G. Gordon, a Past Master of Delta Lodge of Braintree.
On February 9, 1945, through our Senior Warden, Brother Alexander Smith, Brother Commander Valdemar Neilson presented to Manet Lodge and the Worshipful Master the American Flag which flew from his Liberty Ship David Starr Jordan, of which he was the commanding officer. This ship took part in the invasion of Europe on D-Day, and this flag flew from the masthead on many landings which were made by this ship. The flag is battle-scarred, torn and full of bullet holes and shows the effects of the smoke of battle, but its appearance should serve to remind us of the sacred heritage which is being defended during this conflict. Commander Neilson spoke briefly of his experiences and Worshipful Brother Brown informed him that whenever Manet Lodge met, that flag would be displayed.
During this year the following Past Masters were made Honorary members:
- Wor. Laurence B. Ford
- Wor. Albert E. Allen
- Wor. James A. Boyd
- Wor. George E. West
- Wor. Leslie M. Brierley
- R. W. Alexander Harding
- Wor. Wor. Henry H. Dahl
- Wor. Wilfred H. Clarke
On October 5,1945, Alexander Smith was installed as Master. The first official act of Worshipful Brother Smith was to present Brother Charles A. Ross a Marshal's Jewel, in recognition of twenty-five years of service as Marshal of Manet Lodge.
Worshipful Brother Lawrence E. Brown was made an Honorary member of Manet Lodge.
This being Manet's twenty-fifth anniversary year, and the history of Manet Lodge being written at this time, the highlights of Worshipful Brother Smith's year will have to go into the records of the next twenty-five years.
To those who have crossed the Bar, we bow in homage for their exemplary conduct in the affairs of the Craft, enabling Manet Lodge to steer a well-charted course and preserve the high standards of Masonry.
This is our twenty-fifth birthday. We have reached our majority. Although Manet Lodge is still young in years as compared with other Lodges, we members can feel proud of our contribution to our City, our Craft and our country.
50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MAY 1972
From Proceedings, Page 1972-110:
History From 1946 to 1972
By Worshipful Arthur W. Tucker
(A detailed history of Manet Lodge for the period from 1921 to 1946 by Wor. J. Archie Boyd may be found in the Proceedings of Grand Lodge for 1946 — pages 51—61, inclusive.)
The accomplishments of the first nineteen Masters who served Manet Lodge during its first twenty-five years are on record in the Special Communication of Grand Lodge, which was held in Quincy on March 8, 1946, the occasion of our 25th Anniversary Celebration. (1946 Mass. 48-61)
This history will record some of the highlights of each Master's administration from 1946 to 197 1, our 50th Anniversary Celebration.
Worshipful Alexander Smith
Served as Master during the 25th Anniversary Year. One of Wor. Bro. Smith's first official acts was to present to Bro. Charles A. Ross, former Mayor of the City of Quincy, a Marshal's jewel, in recognition of 25 years of service as Marshal of Manet Lodge. Momentous occasion of this Anniversary Year was a Special Communication of Grand Lodge held in the Quincy Masonic Temple, with nineteen Grand Lodge Officers present. Wor. Bro. Smith presented the Grand Master, Most Worshipful Samuel H. Wragg with a set of book ends made of Quincy granite. During 1946, Wor. Bro. Smith initiated sixty-one candidates, passed forty-seven and raised forty.
Worshipful C. Everett Lister
Installed as the 20th Master on October 4, 1946, by R. W. Alexander Harding, and in November he received R. W. Alexander Harding on his last official visitation. He initiated thirty-two candidates, passed thirty-nine and raised thirty-seven, for a very productive year.
Worshipful Donald M. DeWare
Instituted the first Past Grand Masters Night ever held in Manet Lodge, with twenty-two Past Grand Masters from Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Maine in attendance. Wor. Brother DeWare and his officers traveled to Prospect Lodge in Enfield, New Hampshire, to raise a candidate in their Lodge-room with Massachusetts ritual.
Worshipful Leroy H. Goodwin
Wor. Bro. Goodwin was recognized throughout the District for his outstanding ritual work, and most willing and eager to help a fellow officer or candidate when needed. Manet Lodge and the entire Masonic community was saddened by his passing on September 7, 1971.
Worshipful Calvin W. Black
Appointed Bro. Albert B. Johnson and Bro. Alexander B. Warmington into his line of officers, who later became Masters of Manet Lodge. Bro. Arthur S. Cormack, son of Wor. Arthur C. Cormack and the tenth Master of our Lodge, was raised at a Past Masters Night.
Worshipful John E. Williams
Wor. Bro. Williams was a Charter member of Manet Lodge, and a former Treasurer of the Lodge.
Worshipful J. Lawrence Widdop
Wor. Bro. Widdop was installed as Master in October 1951, by his brother-in-law, Wor. Bro. Leroy H. Goodwin.
Worshipful Wilfred A. Creighton
Wor. Bro. Creighton was installed on October 3, 19 52, appointing as Inside Sentinel, Bro. Perry H. Wedge, who later became the thirty-second Master of Manet Lodge.
Worshipful William F. Greene
Wor. Bro. Greene raised seventeen candidates, two of whom later became Masters of the Lodge. In 1963, he served as Senior Grand Deacon of Grand Lodge, in 1965 as Master of the twenty-second Lodge of Instruction. He was Master of Major General Henry Knox Lodge in 1970, and has served as Secretary of Manet Lodge since 1966.
Worshipful Albert B. Johnson
Wor. Bro. Johnson considers the highlight of his year as Master of Manet Lodge to be given "the opportunity to be chosen by his Brothers in this great Masonic Fraternity, where the true spirit of democracy and brotherhood is practiced and men from all stations in life and many religious faiths meet as true equals."
Worshipful Alexander E. Warmington
Wor. Bro. Warmington was installed in October 1955 by his cousin, Rt. Wor. Raymond C. Warmington, honorary member of Manet Lodge.
Worshipful Harvey C. Miller
Wor. Bro. Miller was installed in October 1956 by Wor. Alexander Smith. He appointed Bro. Maurice L. Shauffer as Inside Sentinel, who later became the thirty-sixth Master of Manet Lodge.
Worshipful John A. Evans
Wor. Bro. Evans was installed by Wor. J. Widdop. He was the first principal of the Quincy School system to be installed as Master.
Worshipful Perry H. Wedge
Wor. Bro. Wedge was installed in October 1958 by Rt. Wor. Alexander Harding. After completing his year as Master, he was appointed Chaplain of the Lodge, in which capacity he has served for twelve years.
Worshipful Earl J. Sweeney
At an Old Timers' Night on September 9, 1960, with 1 12 members present, Wor. Bro. Sweeney assisted by R. W. Norman D. Loud, District Deputy Grand Master, presented each Old Timer with an engraved pin. Each of the Old Timers was presented to the East by a Past Master of Manet Lodge. Twenty additional pins were mailed to those who were unable to attend.
Worshipful Roy A. Lawson
Wor. Bro. Lawson was installed as Master in October 1960 by Wor. Albert B. Johnson and appointed Bro. Wallis S. Bean as Inside Sentinel.
Worshipful Cleveland O. Wheelock
Born in Moosejaw Saskatchewan, Canada, Wor. Bro. Wheelock was congratulated by the Mayor of that town on his installation as Master of Manet Lodge. At a Fore River Night, a large gathering witnessed the raising of Bro. Robert D. Parker, who later became the forty-second Master of Manet. In June 1962, the New Haven Cable Club Degree Team raised Bro. John Anderson, Jr., who is presently Senior Deacon.
Wor. Maurice I. Shauffer
Wor. Bro. Shauffer is an active supporter of the Masonic Blood Donor Program, of which he has repeatedly served as Chairman, and to which hehaspersonally donated thirteen gallons of blood. Wor. Bro. Shauffer served as District Deputy Grand Secretary to R. W. Clifford O. Phoenix, District Deputy Grand Master in 1969 and 1970. He was Master of the twenty-second Lodge of Instruction in 1971.
Worshipful Lebaron R. Nobles
Installed as the thirty-seventh Master of Manet Lodge in October 1963, by Wor. Perry H. Wedge.
Worshipful William F. Whidden, Jr.
At the November 1965 meeting, Wor. Bro. Whidden received our own R.W. George E. West on his final visitation as District Deputy Grand Master and presented him with a grandfather's clock. At the close of the January meeting, the DeMolay Legion of Honor was conferred upon Wor. C. Everett Lister, Past Master of Manet Lodge. In June, the Lodge presented Wor. Bro. Alexander Smith with an engraved certificate for twenty-five years of service to the Lodge, at which time the Lodge Officers wore new aprons provided by a fund from the Past Masters which was presented to Wor. Bro. Whidden by R. W. Alexander Harding.
Worshipful Wallis S. Bean
As a member of Jenks Lodge, Pawtucket, Rhode Island, Wor. Bro. Bean invited their officers to confer the Master Mason Degree on one of their candidates, at which a large gathering witnessed some very fine Rhode Island Ritual. Wor. Bro. Bean appointed into line Bro. William B. Parker and Bro. Arthur W. Tucker, who later became forty-third and forty-fourth Masters of the Lodge. All members were saddened by the passing of Wor. Wallace S. Bean on April 14, 1971.
Worshipful James J. Mulloy, Jr.
Wor. Brother Mulloy was installed in October 1966 by Wor. Cleveland O. Wheelock.
Worshipful Ronald W. Neilson
At a Past Masters Night on April 12, 1968, Wor. Bro. Neilson received R. W. F. Crockett Brown, Deputy Grand Master. The Master Mason degree was conferred upon two candidates, Bro. William F. Greene, Jr., and Bro. Erik Alden Gustafson, by a team of sixteen Past Masters of Manet Lodge. Wor. Bro. Neilson reinstituted the examination of candidates in open Lodge before receiving their next degree. In a concerted effort led by Wor. Bro. Neilson, forty pints of blood were collected during the year.
Worshipful Robert D. Parker
The first of two brothers to be installed as Master of Manet Lodge. In an effort to stimulate greater attendance at Lodge meetings, Wor. Bro. Parker instituted the 99¢ "Bring a Brother" dinners, with the second dinner costing 50¢. Held first combined Ladies' Night in conjunction with Theodore Roosevelt Lodge. At a Past Masters Night, Wor. Bro. Alexander Smith raised his son, Bro. David Henderson Smith, our present Inside Sentinel.
Worshipful William B. Parker
Installed as Master on October 4, 1969, succeeding his brother Wor. Robert D. Parker. Also following his brother's pattern, Wor. William Parker arranged interesting programs to increase meeting attendance. One of these was an informative presentation of the drug problems in our area given by Lt. Rowell of the Quincy Police Department on March 13, 1970.
Worshipful Arthur W. Tucker
Inspired by a visit to the Hawaiian Islands, Wor. Bro. Tucker and his officers changed the usual format of Ladies' Night to a Hawaiian-Polynesian Night, with appropriate decorations, music, food and Hawaiian dancers. There were over four hundred in attendance. During the summer of 1971, Wor. Bro. Tucker, with other Lodge Officers, attended "Sojourners' Night" in Oriental Lodge, at Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard Island. Wor. Bro. Tucker was introduced by M. W. Herbert H. Jaynes, Grand Master of Massachusetts, and then presented a Colonial gold hand-lettered sign, in behalf of Manet Lodge, to Oriental Lodge, which was most gratefully accepted by Wor. Peter N. Bettencourt, Master of the Lodge.
Our present Master, Worshipful Brother George L. Pooler was installed on October 1, 1971, the beginning of our 50th Anniversary Year. The highlights of his year will be included in our 75th Anniversary History in 1997.
Thus the first fifty years of Manet Lodge are now recorded as history.
Applying the Latin derivation of the name Manet, the Lodge will Remain — with our lives expressing the truths of Masonry; will Abide — by our Masonic teachings, traditions and inspirations; will Continue — to meet the challenge of our times with determination; and will Endure — so that Brother Master Masons may cherish that which we have from this generation to the next.
- 1926 (Quincy Temple cornerstone laying, 1926-378)
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Alexander Harding, DDGM, District 26 (Quincy), 1945, 1946; N
- Roy Prout, DDGM, District 26 (Quincy), 1930, 1931; N
- Robert D. Parker, DDGM, District 26 (Quincy), 1985, 1986; N
- Nathan N. Rosenhek, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1998, 1999; N
- George E. West, DDGM, District 26 (Quincy), 1963, 1964; SN
- Hartley L. White, DDGM, District 24 (Brockton), 1910; District 26 (Quincy), 1911, 1912; SN