- 1 FAYETTE LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
Chartered By: Paul Revere
Charter Date: 03/14/1796 II-33
Precedence Date: 03/14/1796
Current Status: unknown, but lodge met at least through 1829.
MEMBER LIST, 1802
From Vocal Companion and Masonic Register, Boston, 1802, Part II, Page 18:
- R. W. Aaron Tufts, M.
- W. Rufus Baron, S. W.
- W. Gershom Plimpton, J. W.
- James Wolcot, Sec.
- Zeph. Brown, Tr.
- Abel Foster, Tiler.
- Salem Towne, Steward.
- Ephraim Willard, Steward.
- David Bacon, S. D.
- Harvy Conant, J. D.
No. of Members, 56.
- Ebenezer Phillips, 1796; SN
- Aaron Tufts, 1802
- Richard Garrique, 1814
- Oliver Mason, Jr., 1816, 1820
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Charter: 1796
NOTES IN 75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY OF QUINEBAUG LODGE, DECEMBER 1934
The first Lodge in this immediate vicinity of which we find any record was Fayette Lodge, at Charlton, the Charter for which was granted March 14, 1796. It appears from the records of the Grand Lodge that on that day a "petition was presented by Ebenezer Phillips and others for a charter to erect and hold a Lodge in the town of Charlton by the name and title of Fayette Lodge," which prayer was granted and the Lodge proceeded to organize in due form. They procured a seal bearing for a motto the words, Conjuncti Fraterno Amore, surrounded by the words "Fayette Lodge, Charlton, Massachusetts." Upon the face were the compasses and the Holy Bible, and the words Nil Sine Deo. Thinly settled as the country was at that time, the membership was scattered over a large territory, and it appears that January 10, 1799, they prayed the Grand Lodge for liberty to meet annually by rotation in Charlton, Sturbridge, and Dudley, which prayer was granted during the pleasure of the Grand Lodge. All meetings for several years, appear to have been held at the house of General Salem Towne, which was erected the year of the formation of the Lodge, and in a room prepared for them bv General Towne, who was at that time a very active and zealous Mason, and who afterwards reflected honor upon his native town by his ability and learning. June 25, 1798, the Rev. Mr. Lamed delivered a sermon before the Lodge, receiving five dollars for his services. It appears that in 1801 the Lodge held a meeting at the house of Brother Nichols, but I am not able to learn where that house was situated. The Lodge continued to meet at the house of General Towne until 1804, when the Weld Tavern was erected, and the meeting place was then transferred to that building. This building was situated on the Common at Charlton Centre and has since been owned and occupied by David Craig. But the Lodge did not long continue to meet there, as Major Moses Dresser soon after built the famous "Dresser Hill Tavern," and at his own expense fitted up a hall in it for the use of King Solomon Royal Arch Chapter (which was organized in 1805), and he invited Fayette Lodge to also occupy the same. The extraordinary inducements which the major held out to the Fraternity, if they would occupy these rooms, were, that he would give them "meals of two or three dishes of meat, puddings and pies with white bread and cheese for twenty-five cents;" he would "care for the horses for ten cents each, and would give the hall free of expense except when a fire was needed." In 1813 we read that the feast of St. John was celebrated at the tavern of Moses Marcy in Sturbridge (now Southbridge Centre) with twenty-five members present.
On that occasion an address was given by the Rev. Richard Garrique, Master of the Lodge. He had received his degrees in another lodge, but April 1, 1812, became a member of Fayette Lodge, and was elected its Master, in December, 1813.
October 7, 1818, a meeting of the Lodge was called, but no one attended, the records saying "it was the day of the Military Review in Charlton." In 1820 the Lodge made a new agreement with Harvey Dresser regarding the use of the hall, viz., "he was to furnish refreshments for the ensuing year on these terms: Thirty-seven and one-half cents for dinner and horse baiting, one dollar for use of hall, wood, candles, etc."
The first officers of Favette Lodge were: Master, Dr. Ebenezer Phillips; Senior Warden, John Spurr; Junior Warden, Samuel Stetson; Treasurer, David Bacon; Secretary, Luther Perry; Senior Deacon, Rufus Bacon; Junior Deacon, Isaiah Rider.
In 1805-6, Dr. Ebenezer Phillips was District Deputy Grand Master for the 6th Masonic District. In 1830-31-32, the Honorable Linus Childs, an attorney in Southbridge, was District Deputy Grand Master.
August 25, 1824, the Lodge invited General LaFayette, who was passing through Charlton while on a visit to this country, to visit it.
Among the prominent men in Charlton and surrounding towns who were members of this Lodge are: Gen. Salem Towne; Salem Towne, Jr.; Rev. George Angell (father of George T. Angell, founder of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) who was pastor of the First Baptist Church in what is now Southbridge; Rev. Richard Garrique, Master of the Lodge and High Priest of King Solomon Royal Arch Chapter; Peleg C. Childs, afterwards a member of Congress from Woodstock, Conn.; Moses Dresser, Sr.; Moses Dresser, Jr.; Harvey Dresser; Calvin, Thomas C, and O. Farnum; Allen Hancock, Jr., of Dudley; Abijah J., Daniel, and Reuben Lamb; Albigence Marsh; Oliver Mason, Jr., who was Master in 1816 and 1820; Gershom Plimpton, Jr., of Southbridge; Daniel, Isaiah, Jr., Nathanial, and William P. Rider; John Spurr, Sr., and John Spurr, Jr.; Hon. Aaron Tufts, of Dudley; five Wheelocks; six Willards; and many others who might be mentioned.
In 1801 that portion of Charlton which now lies in Southbridge was set off as a poll parish and called "Honest Town," and at the same time the First Congregational Church was organized in this parish.
In 1816, the Baptists also organized a church and called to be its first pastor, the Rev. George Angell. He was a firm believer in Masonry and knew it to be an institution worthy of his fostering care, and not inimical to his duties and professions, and he, with Ebenezer D. Ammidown, Horace Whittaker, Linus Childs, Moses Plimpton, Holmes Ammidown and others, proceeded to form Doric Lodge, which was chartered June 14, 1826. The Grand Lodge records say that after accepting the report of the committee sent to inspect the by-laws of Doric Lodge by order of the R. W. District Deputy Grand Master, a procession was formed and proceeding to the hall of the Lodge, which was joined by said Lodge and neighboring Lodges, Chapters, and Encampments, marched to the meeting house, where an elegant and appropriate address was delivered by the Hon. Linus Childs; after which Doric Lodge was consecrated and its officers installed.
The names of the officers were omitted, but we have learned that they were: Linus Childs, Worshipful Master; Walter Fetch, Senior Warden; George W. Holmes, Junior Warden; Moses Plimpton, Secretary; and Abel Mason, Jr., Treasurer.
The formation of this Lodge so weakened the membership of Fayette Lodge that it soon ceased to confer the degrees in Charlton. From information given by Holmes Ammidown (who joined Doric Lodge about the time of its formation) the Lodge-room was in the hotel kept by Wm. Healy where the present Masonic Building now stands.
NOTES IN CENTENARY HISTORY OF QUINEBAUG LODGE, MAY 1960
From Proceedings, Page 1960-106:
The first Lodge in this immediate vicinity was Fayette Lodge in Charlton, for which a charter was granted March 14, 1796. As the membership was scattered over a large area, it appears that on January 10, 1799, they prayed the Grand Lodge for liberty to meet annually by rotation in Charlton, Sturbridge and Dudley, which prayer was granted during the pleasure of the Grand Lodge. All meetings for several years were held in a room prepared for them by General Salem Town in his own home. This room can be seen today at Old Sturbridge Village.
In 1804, Weld Tavern was erected on the Common at Charlton Center and was used for a short time as a meeting place, until Major Moses Dresser built the famous Dresser Hill Tavern, fitted up a hall in it (at his own expense) for the use of King Solomon Royal Arch Chapter (organized in 1805) and invited Fayette Lodge to also occupy the same, with the inducement that if they would occupy these rooms he would give them "meals of two or three dishes of meat, puddings and pies with white bread and cheese for twenty-five cents". This would be an inducement even today, and might improve attendance at Lodge meetings!
- 1799 (Petition to meet in rotation at Charlton, Sturbridge, and Dudley)
- 1814 (Report on irregularities)
- 1820 (Recommendation to "admonish" the lodge)
- 1829 (Report on delinquency)
- 1878 (Recovery of the effects of the lodge)
- 1960 (Information on lodge history, in the centenary history of Quinebaug Lodge.)