From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search


Location: Southbridge

Chartered By: John Abbot

Charter Date: 06/14/1826 IV-16

Precedence Date: 06/14/1826

Current Status: ceased work around 1834


In Grand Master Heard's address in December 1857 (Page 1857-36 in the original Proceedings), this lodge was described as having "had but a nominal existence for many years." He also noted that "With regard to Doric Lodge, Bro. {Henry} Earl has made many inquiries and ascertained important facts; but, as yet, he has not succeeded in recovering its Charter or other property. He will continue his researches." (Bro. Earl was District Deputy Grand Master for District 6.)


  • Petition For Charter: 1826



From Proceedings, Page 1934-183:

In 1816, the Baptists also organized a church and called to be its first pastor, the Rev. George Angell. He was a firm believer in Masonry and knew it to be an institution worthy of his fostering care, and not inimical to his duties and professions, and he, with Ebenezer D. Ammidown, Horace Whittaker, Linus Childs, Moses Plimpton, Holmes Ammidown and others, proceeded to form Doric Lodge, which was chartered June 14, 1826. The Grand Lodge records say that after accepting the report of the committee sent to inspect the by-laws of Doric Lodge by order of the R.W. District Deputy Grand Master, a procession was formed and proceeding to the hall of the Lodge, which was joined by said Lodge and neighboring Lodges, Chapters, and Encampments, marched to the meeting house, where an elegant and appropriate address was delivered by the Hon. Linus Childs; after which Doric Lodge was consecrated and its officers installed.

The names of the officers were omitted, but we have learned that they were: Linus Childs, Worshipful Master; Walter Fetch, Senior Warden; George W. Holmes, Junior Warden; Moses Plimpton, Secretary; and Abel Mason, Jr., Treasurer.

The formation of this Lodge so weakened the membership of Fayette Lodge that it soon ceased to confer the degrees in Charlton. From information given by Holmes Ammidown (who joined Doric Lodge about the time of its formation) the Lodge-room was in the hotel kept by Wm. Healy where the present Masonic Building now stands.

Those prominent in the formation and support of this Lodge were: Rev. George Angell, Hon. Ebenezer D. Ammidown, Dr. Samuel Hartwell, Hon. Linus Childs, Moses Plimpton, Horace Whitaker, W. O. Burlingame, William Healey, Capt. Calvin Clemence, Ephraim Wheelock, William Morris, Edward Morris, Oliver Mason, Abel Mason, Jr., and Holmes Ammidown.

Dr. Samuel Hartwell was chosen Chairman of the Committee on Finance. Many of the bills connected with the formation of this Lodge were found by our late Brother Henry D. Mason among his father's old papers (and they show that it took a great deal of liquid to float the new Lodge into existence). But this Lodge was short lived, continuing to work, some say, for about three years, while the Grand Lodge records show that it existed for about seven years, but its Charter was never surrendered nor were its records returned to the Grand Lodge.

The apron and certificate of membership of Ebenezer D. Ammidown in Doric Lodge A.F. and A.M. have been presented to Quinebaug Lodge, and are framed and can be seen in the Lodge anteroom.

It appears that March 14, 1827, the Grand Lodge granted a petition to establish a Lodge to be known as Central Lodge, in the town of Dudley, but so far I am unable to ascertain whether this Lodge was ever organized or conferred any degrees.

From about 1830 to 1859 Masonry seems to have lain dormant in this vicinity, but while residing in Manchester, N. H., Bro. Chester A. Dresser took the degrees and became greatly interested in the beauties and benefits of this benevolent order, and upon his return to Southbridge began to agitate the question of forming a Lodge in this town; but they found upon inquiry at the Grand Lodge that there was a Charter for a Lodge still in existence and unrevoked, which covered this territory viz. Doric Lodge.

Brother Dresser, with the assistance of Bro. Samuel Cyrus Hartwell who had become interested in the institution, caused a search to be made and found among the papers of Brother Plimpton the lost Charter and records, and they were returned to the Grand Lodge and destroyed in the fire of 1864.


From Proceedings, Page 1960-108:

The first Masonic body in Southbridge was Doric Lodge, which was instituted in 1826. From about 1830 to 1859, R. W. Brother Cochran said that Masonry seemed to have lain dormant in this vicinity. Wor. Brother Rowley stated that he believed the reason for this was that about three years after Doric Lodge was instituted, a Mason named Morgan disappeared from his home in western New York under circumstances that threw a dark cloud over Masons and Masonry throughout the entire United States.

This cloud was intensified in Southbridge by the fact that the trial of the suspected abductors took place under William S. Marcy as presiding judge, who was a native of Southbridge, born in a farmhouse standing on the spot now occupied by the Church of Notre Dame. As a young man, Marcy transferred his citizenship from Massachusetts to New York, becoming successively judge, governor, and finally Secretary of State for President Pierce. A strong and forceful leader of men, his opinions were held in high regard and, as a member of the Marcy family, connected by blood or marriage with all the important residents of this part of Worcester County, those opinions were powerful and far reaching. As a result of the Morgan trial, Marcy became a strong anti-Mason and he, being influential, may have been the reason for the weakening of Masonry in Southbridge. Whatever the reason, the feelings against Masonry grew strong and fanatic. Wor. Brother Rowley reported that he himself had attended anti-Masonic meetings in Southbridge with crowded houses as late as 1880.


From Proceedings, Page 1972-91:

  • 1826—June 14 — Doric Lodge Charter granted. The Lodge met in the hotel which stood at the corner of Main and Central Streets. (This charter was later returned to Grand Lodge and was destroyed in the fire of 1864).



1826: District 6 (Worcester)

1835: District 6


Massachusetts Lodges