- 1 PACIFIC LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 HISTORY
- 2.2 OTHER
- 2.3 EVENTS
- 2.4 OTHER BROTHERS
- 2.5 DISTRICTS
- 2.6 LINKS
Chartered By: Samuel Dunn
Charter Date: 06/08/1801 II-182
Precedence Date: 06/08/1801
Current Status: unknown; ø Charter probably declared as vacated 06/11/1834
MEMBER LIST, 1802
From Vocal Companion and Masonic Register, Boston, 1802, Part II, Page 32:
- R. W. Phineas Hubbard, M.
- W. Roswell Field, S. W.
- W. Samuel Church, J. W.
- Samuel Gamwell, Sec.
- Caleb Hubbard, Tr.
- Joseph Willard, S. D.
- Rufus Field, J. D.
- David Stockbridge, Steward.
- Friend Smith, Steward.
No. of Members, 35.
- Francis Harwood
- Edward Ruggles
- Phineas Hubbard, 1801, 1802
- Roswell Field, 1803
- Samuel Church, 1804-1805
- Caleb Hubbard, 1806, 1807, 1808
- Beal Crocker, 1809, 1810
- William Delano, 1811, 1812
- John Dickinson, 1813, 1814, 1815
- Aaron Howard, 1816, 1817
- Erastus Dewey, 1818, 1819
- Ebenezer Mattoon, Jr., 1820, 1821
- Asahel Thayer, 1822, 1823
- Zebina Rankin, 1824, 1825
- Mason C. Darling, 1826
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Charter: 1801
- Consecration and Installation: 1804
- Petition for Removal (to Leverett): 1807
- Petition for Removal (to Amherst): 1816; granted, 1817
- 1926 (Notes on this lodge in the History of Pacific Lodge, 1926-164; see below)
- 1951 (Notes on this lodge in the History of Pacific Lodge, 1951-68; see below)
- 2001 (Notes on this lodge in the "Bicentennial" of Pacific Lodge; see below)
Note on Phineas Hubbard's Lodge in Stansted appear in Outlines of the History of Freemasonry in the Province of Quebec, by John Hamilton Graham, Published 1892, Page 133:
Golden Rule, No. 19, U: A: P: M:, L. C., now No. 5, Q. R.— Among existing Quebec 'Ancient' Lodges, Golden Rule Lodge, in the village of Stanstead, appears to enjoy the unique distinction of having been warranted at Quebec on the very day of the 'Union' of the 'Ancients' and 'Moderns' at London, England, on St. John the Evangelist's Day, 1813! and as evidenced by its records, it was the first Lodge in Lower Canada designated ' U: A: Y: M:' In the Quebec Official List, of date Dec. 29, 1813, 'No. 19' appears as the last warranted Lodge. The names of the G: L: officers on the Warrant doubtless were: "Claude Denechau, G: M :, Francis Coulson, D: G: M :, Joseph Stilson, G: S: W :, Thos. Horsman, G: J: W :, and William Barber, G: Secy."
1814.—A brief but comprehensive History of this Lodge, written by our late highly esteemed R: W: Bros: Elisha Gustin and Henry J. Martin, says: "The Lodge was constituted and the officers installed by the Hon. Wm. Howe, D: D : G : M :, from (Derby) Vermont, on the 18th day of January, 1814, by the the name of'Golden Rule' Lodge, No. 19," L. C.
"The first officers and the Charter Members were: Phineas Hubbard, Esq., W: M:, Ezra Ball, Esq., S: W:, Capt. Timothy Rose, J: W:, Oliver Nash, Secy, James Wesson, Treas'r; Nathan Wesson, Ichabod Smith, Alexander Kilbourn, James Bangs, Theodore S. Bangs, Moses Montague, Silas Taylor, Elias Lee, David Curtis, Levi Aldrich, Dr. Isaac Whitcher, Daniel Holmes, Israel Wood, Daniel Mansur, James Peasley, and Heman Bangs."
NOTES IN THE 150TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY OF PACIFIC LODGE, JUNE 1951
From Proceedings, Page 1951-68:
The first meeting place of the Lodge was in Caleb Hubbard's Tavern, half way between Amherst and Sunderland, and in the latter Town. This house was built in 1763 and continued a tavern until 1839. It has been recently restored and is occupied by George C. Hubbard, great grandson of Wor. Caleb Hubbard, who was the third Master of Pacific Lodge. This 188 year old house is well worth a visit by those interested in old Colonial houses. The reputed lodge-room was on the second floor, north end, and is now divided into two rooms. The Lodge met here for only about a year and then moved to Amherst where it met in "Bro. Caleb Merrill's Hall," probably in East Street. In 1807 it moved to Leverett where it met in the home of "Bro. Hubbard" and later in the Field Tavern. Then in 1817, it moved back to Amherst on East Street, Cushman, and finally in the Boltwood Tavern, situated on the corner of South Pleasant and Amity Streets.
NOTES IN THE BICENTENNIAL OF PACIFIC LODGE, JUNE 2001
From Proceedings, Page 2001-79:
The Charter of the Pacific Lodge was issued by the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts on June 8, 1801 in answer to a petition of thirteen Masons residing in the towns of Sunderland, Leverett. North Hadley and Amherst. In the earliest days, the Lodge held its communications in the part of Sunderland called "Plumtrees" in Major Caleb Hubbard's tavern. Phineas Hubbard was our first Master and Caleb was our fourth in 1801 and 1807 respectively. Most of the Charter members were from Republican Lodge in Greenfield.
In 1802, the Lodge was removed to Amherst and in 1807, it was moved from Amherst to Leverett, and in September 1817, it returned to Amherst where the Lodge met in the Odd Fellow Hall, thanks to the hospitality and cooperation of the Order of Odd Fellows.
OFFICER LIST, DECEMBER 1825
From Masonic Mirror and Mechanics' Intelligencer, Vol. II, No. 3, January 1826, Page 17:
At the annual communication of Pacific Lodge, holden at Amherst, Dec. 21, the following brethren were unanimously elected officers for the year ensuing:
- Bro. Asahel Thayer, Esq., Master.
- Bro. Capt. Thomas Hayden, S. W.
- Bro. Artemas Thompson, J. W.
- Bro. Elijah Boltwood, Treasurer.
- Bro. Calvin Merrill, Secretary.
- Bro. Asa Marsh, S. D.
- Bro. Riley Gillson, J. D.
- Bro. A. Thayer, Esq., Proxy to the Grand Lodge.
- Ithamar Conkey, Memorial