GEORGE M. RANDALL, Grand Master
- 1 NOTES
- 2 QUARTERLY COMMUNICATIONS
- 3 SPECIAL COMMUNICATIONS
- 4 FEAST OF ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST
- 5 LIST OF LODGES BY DATE OF PRECEDENCE: 1853
Held at Masonic Temple, Boston
- 03/09: V-435;
- 06/08: V-456;
- 09/14: V-463;
- 12/14: V-467; (Annual Communication)
- V-438: Report on the manner and form of visitations in the First District.
- V-438: Report counseling against a reduction of the Grand Lodge dues.
- V-439ff: Report from committee on communication with the Grand Lodge of California, concerning the behavior of Most Wor. B. D. Hyam, Grand Master.
- V-452: Report from Grand Secretary on circulars to solicit funds for the Washington Monument.
- 12/14: V-469; communication received from agents for solicitation.
- 12/27: V-499; Grand Lodge determines that it is inexpedient to take any further action.
- V-454: Thanks voted to Rev. Bro. Alger for the "beautiful, eloquent and instructive address" delivered on 02/22/1853 on the life and character of Washington.
- V-459: Committee to put regalia in order.
- V-460: Invitation by Morning Star Lodge, Worcester, to attend the celebration of St. John's Day; accepted.
- V-465: Committee appointed to consider instruction to lodges regarding visiting members from lodges in New York.
- V-468: Circular from various states regarding a General Grand Lodge; referred and tabled.
- V-473: Report of the Committee on Finance.
- V-474: Re-election of Grand Master Randall and other Grand Lodge officers.
- V-476: Report of the Committee on the Library.
- V-477: Report of the Committee on the National Masonic Convention; referred.
- V-478: Report on the conflict between King Hiram's Lodge and Rt. Wor. Jeremiah Stone, (former) District Deputy Grand Master of the 8th District.
- V-479ff: Report of the committee on the dispute in New York, which had a schism of Grand Lodges; resolves on traveling identities.
- V-492: Report of Trustees of the Temple.
- V-494: Report of Trustees of the Grand Charity Fund.
- V-496: Grand Master authorized to reorganize the Masonic Districts.
Grand Constitutions Amendment Proposals
Necrologies and Memorials
- 03/09: V-438; Death of Rt. Wor. Ferdinand E. White, Past Deputy Grand Master; memorial delivered by committee.
- 06/08: V-457: Death of Bro. Robert Shaw, Trustee of the Grand Charity Fund (and purchaser of the Masonic Temple); memorial delivered by committee.
- 06/08: V-457: Death of Rt. Wor. James A. Dickson, Past Grand Warden; memorial delivered by committee.
- 12/14: V-470: Death of Rt. Wor. William Ferson, Past Senior Grand Warden; memorial delivered by committee.
- 12/14: V-471: Death of Bro. Jonas Chickering, memorial delivered by Rt. Wor. C. Gayton Pickman.
Petitions for Charters
- 03/09: V-454; Petition by Baalbec Lodge, East Boston; charter to be granted depending on provision of better Secretary's records.
Petitions for Dispensation for Lodges
- 12/27: V-502; Petition by Bethesda Lodge, Valparaiso, Chile on 08/17/1853.
Petitions for Restoration of Charter
- 09/14: V-371; Petition to restore Rural Lodge, Quincy; petition granted as soon as the petition is in proper form. Grand Stewards authorized to loan Rural Lodge jewels as necessary.
FEAST OF ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST
(held at Masonic Temple, Boston, 12/27/1853)
- V-497: Lodge of Instruction.
- V-500: Installation of Grand Master Randall and other Grand Lodge officers.
- V-502: Recording Grand Secretary presented a copy of a book, “Memorials of the Dead in Boston”, by Thomas Bridgeman.
LIST OF LODGES BY DATE OF PRECEDENCE: 1853
When more information is available, this will be updated with district information.
- DISTRICT 1: Jerome Van Crowninshield Smith, Boston, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 2: John S. Johnson, Gloucester, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 3: Prentice Cushing, Lowell, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 4: Jonathan Greenwood, Framingham, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 5: Albert Case, Hingham, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 6: Horace Chenery, Worcester, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 7: Lucien B. Keith, New Bedford, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 8: Sylvanus Baxter, Provincetown, District Deputy Grand Master
- DISTRICT 9: W. Franklin Weston, Dalton, District Deputy Grand Master
- NANTUCKET: Benjamin Brown, Nantucket, Special Deputy for Nantucket
Note that District Grand Lecturers were appointed, as per the vote in Grand Lodge; the District Deputy Grand Masters were appointed, except for District 1 (Wor. William C. Martin) and District 2 (Wor. Isaac P. Seavey).
- St. John's (Boston, 1733)
- Lodge of St. Andrew, (Boston, 1756)
- Philanthropic (Marblehead, 1760)
- St. John's (Newburyport, 1766) charter restored
- The Massachusetts (Boston, 1770)
- The Tyrian (Gloucester, 1770)
- Union (Nantucket, 1771)
- King Solomon's (Charlestown, 1783)
- Essex (Salem, 1791)
- Old Colony (Hingham, 1792)
- Morning Star (Worcester, 1793)
- Middlesex (Framingham, 1795)
- Cincinnatus (Sheffield, 1795)
- King Hiram's (Provincetown, 1795)
- Evening Star (Lee, 1795)
- Republican (Greenfield, 1795)
- Harmony (Northfield, 1796)
- Columbian (Boston, 1796)
- Union (Dorchester, 1796)
- Washington (Roxbury, 1796)
- Jerusalem (Northampton, 1797)
- Olive Branch (Sutton, 1797)
- St. Paul's (Groton, 1797)
- Meridian (Natick, 1797)
- Hiram (West Cambridge, 1797)
- Corinthian (Concord, 1797)
- Fellowship (Bridgewater, 1797)
- Montgomery (Milford, 1797)
- King David (Taunton, 1798)
- Rising Star (Stoughton, 1799)
- Mount Zion (Hardwick, 1800)
- Aurora (Fitchburg, 1801)
- Corner Stone (Duxbury, 1801)
- Mount Lebanon (Boston, 1801)
- Fraternal (Barnstable, 1801)
- Rural (Quincy, 1801) charter restored
- Merrimack (Haverhill, 1802)
- St. Mark's (Newburyport, 1803)
- Mount Carmel (Lynn, 1805)
- Amicable (Cambridge, 1805)
- Pentucket (Lowell, 1807)
- Jordan (Danvers, 1808)
- Mystic (Pittsfield, 1810)
- Hampden (Springfield, 1817)
- Solomon's Temple (Uxbridge, 1818)
- Bethesda (Brighton, 1819)
- Monitor (Waltham, 1820)
- St. Matthew's (Andover, 1822)
- Warren (Amesbury, 1822)
- Star in the East (New Bedford, 1823)
- Mount Hope (Fall River, 1824)
- Liberty (Beverly, 1824)
- Orphan's Hope (Weymouth, 1825)
- Bethel (Enfield, 1825)
- Oxford (Oxford, 1825)
- Grecian (Lawrence, 1825)
- Plymouth (Plymouth, 1825)
- Star of Bethlehem (Chelsea, 1844)
- Mount Tabor (East Boston, 1846)
- St. Paul's (South Boston, 1846)
- Lafayette (North Adams, 1847)
- Chicopee (Chicopee, 1848)
- Mount Tom (Holyoke, 1850)
- Franklin (Grafton, 1851)
- Ashler (Rockport, 1851)
- Baalbec (East Boston, 1852)
- Ancient York (Lowell, 1852)
- Bethesda (Valparaiso, Chile, U.D.)