Difference between revisions of "Charity2"

From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 174: Line 174:
  
 
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1919 1919]''' (50th Anniversary History, 1919-533)
 
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1919 1919]''' (50th Anniversary History, 1919-533)
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1944 1944]''' (75th Anniversary History, 1944-3)
+
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1944 1944]''' (75th Anniversary History, 1944-3; see below)
 
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1969 1969]''' (75th Anniversary History, 1969-162)
 
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1969 1969]''' (75th Anniversary History, 1969-162)
 +
 +
==== 75th ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1944 ====
 +
 +
''From Proceedings, Page 1944-3:''
 +
 +
''By Worshipful Robert A. Parry.''
 +
 +
On February 24, 1869, a meeting of petitioners for a Masonic Lodge in North Cambridge was held to hear a report of a committee of three, who had taken a petition to Mount Olivet Lodge for its recommendation.. Mount Olivet Lodge voted unanimously in favor, and the petition was then presented to the Most Worshipful Grand Master by Right Worshipful F. Lyman Winship, who was then District Deputy Grand Master for this District, and Charity Lodge was on its way.
 +
 +
A dispensation was granted on March 6, 1869, and on May 17th a business meeting was held to arrange for work under that dispensation.
 +
 +
The first work was to select a name and "Charity Lodge" was chosen. Dr. James R. Morse was appointed as the first Worshipful Master; William H. Bailey as the first Senior Warden and Dr. D. Gilbert Dexter as the first Junior Warden. The Treasurer was authorized to borrow One Thousand Dollars on the credit of the members, and that amount not being sufficient to pay the expenses of starting the Lodge, it was increased by later votes to Three Thousand Dollars.
 +
 +
Charity Lodge was constituted March 28, 1870, by Most Worshipful [http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMGardner William Sewall Gardner], who was then Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, in the presence of about eighty Brother Masons. Officers were installed and Charity Lodge was prepared to act on any business that might regularly come before it. During the period of dispensation, twenty members were added to the membership.
 +
 +
The great Boston fire of 1872, and the financial panic of 1873, were disastrous to many of the sponsors and dark clouds gathered around the recently established Charity Lodge, but nevertheless it survived, for it was built on a solid foundation by men of sound judgment and exceptional ability. By strict economy and contributions from its members, it gradually reduced its indebtedness, and a report on December 7, 1875, showed that with cash on hand and dues to be received for the current year, Charity Lodge would be free from debt. At that time, Charity Lodge began and has continued on a "Pay as you go Policy."
 +
 +
We have had few bequests, but one outstanding is that of our late Brother William L. Lockhart, of a substantial amount in gilt-edge securities, the income to be used only for the relief of needy Brothers and their families. Charity Lodge is rich, however: perhaps not in gold and lands, or in those things that money can buy, but rich in its friendships, its memories, its associations, and especially rich in its young members and in its strong and vigorous membership.
 +
 +
Our Service Flag in 1918 had many members, composed of some of the finest boys in the world, and our present Service Flag has many members of the same calibre.
 +
 +
There are not many descendants of the Charter Members now in the Lodge membership. We have had fifty-three Masters, twenty-eight of whom have passed on, and twenty-five who are still active members. We have had six Treasurers, two of whom are living, Worshipful John A. MacFarland, our present Treasurer, and Treasurer Emeritus Right Worshipful Lester M. Bacon, and seven Secretaries, one of whom is living, Right Worshipful Thomas E. Baker, our present Secretary.
 +
 +
We have held our meetings in North Cambridge during all the seventy-five years, first in Unity Hall, just south of Porter's Bridge, second, in Fraternity Hall in 1879, at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Russell Street, and third, in 1893, in Odd Fellows Building, at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Walden Street.
 +
 +
In 1905 the building where most of the Cambridge Masonic bodies met was torn down and the Lodges decided to secure apartments in the Odd Fellows Building where Charity Lodge met. Charity Lodge felt that this was a serious blow. Could a community which had maintained only one Lodge support five other Lodges? Charity Lodge prospered, however, as never before. When the building of the present Temple was proposed, Charity Lodge joined with all the other Masonic bodies, and by good management and fraternal co-operation, this beautiful Temple is owned wholly by our Cambridge Masonic bodies.
 +
 +
It is worth mentioning that Charity Lodge now meets less than five hundred feet from its first meeting place. It has prospered for seventy-five years and we can hope that the same measure of success will continue so that on our One Hundredth Anniversary, it will be found at the front of every good word and deed.
 +
 +
Charity Lodge has demonstrated to the Craft and to the world "how good and how pleasant it is for Brethren to dwell together in Unity."
 +
 +
In conclusion, let us ask, humbly and with reverence, that the Wisdom of Almighty God guide and direct the future of our beloved Charity Lodge.
  
 
<hr>
 
<hr>

Revision as of 10:01, 8 December 2013

CHARITY LODGE

Location: North Cambridge

Chartered By: William Sewall Gardner

Charter Date: 03/09/1870 1870-68

Precedence Date: 03/08/1869

Current Status: Active


PAST MASTERS

Need list of living PMs

  • James R. Morse, U.D., 1869
  • William H. Baily, 1870
  • Charles E. Bowers, 1871
  • William H. Baily, 1872
  • Leander J. Wing, 1873
  • Francis M. Mason, 1874, 1875
  • Samuel W. Richardson, 1876
  • David Howe, 1877, 1878
  • Horace E Boynton, 1879, 1880
  • Frank M. Howe, 1881, 1882
  • Frederick A. Freeman, 1883, 1884
  • John E. Ricker, 1885, 1886
  • Henry C. Wilson, 1887, 1888
  • Charles M. Pear, 1889, 1890
  • John E. Parry, 1891, 1892; SN
  • Osaman D. Baker, 1893, 1894
  • George M. McCallar, 1895, 1896
  • Frederick C. Gohring, 1897
  • James B. Hilton, 1898, 1899
  • Frank Hayden, 1900
  • Robert A. Parry, 1901
  • George H. McKee, 1902, 1903
  • John E. Parry, 1904
  • Edmund H. Lansing, 1905, 1906
  • Walter H. Lerned, 1907, 1908
  • George W. Apsey, 1909, 1910
  • Fred W. Jouett, 1911, 1912
  • Edward L. Pierce, 1913
  • Fred A. Keniston, 1914, 1915
  • George R. Libby, 1916, 1917
  • Walter H. Lerned, Jr., 1918, 1919
  • George B. Colesworthy, 1920, 1921; N
  • Lester M. Bacon, 1922; N
  • J. Harold Parry, 1923
  • Sargent S. Stearns, 1924
  • William F. Clarke, 1925; N
  • Herman F. Hawthorne, 1926
  • Thomas E. Baker, 1927; N
  • William A. Cheyne, 1928
  • George M. Wetherbee, 1929
  • George W. Long, 1930
  • Henry D. Kidder, 1931
  • Lucius R. Paige, 1932
  • John E. Penny, 1933
  • John A MacFarland, 1934
  • Allen H. Blake, 1935
  • Lester L. Downing, 1936
  • John H. Campbell, 1937; N
  • George P. Becker, 1938
  • Louis C. Holmes, 1939
  • A. Agust Lindberg, 1940
  • George R. Carruth, 1941
  • Harold W. Battis, 1942
  • David H. Stuart, 1943
  • Sydney J. T. Jones, 1944
  • Samuel T. Foster, 1945
  • Edward J. Primmer, Sr., 1946
  • Harry F. Bowlby, 1947
  • Harry F. Kitfield, 1948
  • Wallace E. Rockwell, 1949
  • Pierre Belliveau, 1950
  • Wendell I. Trohon, 1951
  • Frank L. Conway, 1952
  • Philip K. Pearson, 1953
  • Milton F. Dyke, 1954
  • Donald C. Presho, 1955
  • Edward J. Primmer, 1956
  • Richard C. Long, 1957
  • George R. Stone, 1958
  • Arthur H. Bloomberg, 1959
  • William J Edgecombe, 1960
  • Richard C. Young, 1961
  • Howard E. Walker, 1962
  • Paul L. Constantine, 1963
  • Albert A. Scott. Jr., 1964
  • Gordon L. Harnum, 1965
  • Henry O. Hansen, 1966
  • C. Ralph Dixon, 1967, 1980; PDDGM
  • Earl G. Veino, 1968, 1978, 1984, 1991; N
  • Stanley F. Hall, 1969
  • Gordon L. Harnum, 1970, 1982, 1983
  • Stewart A. Swinamer, Jr., 1971, 1979, 1992, 1997; PDDGM
  • William F. Harnum, 1972, 1985
  • William L. Hoover, 1973
  • William H. Liby, 1974, 1975
  • John C. McMackin, 1976
  • Milton M. Tuft, 1977
  • Edward J. Primmer, 1981; PDDGM
  • Nicholas Stavropoulos, 1986, 1987
  • Michael Sakillaris, 1988
  • John J. Pandos, 1989, 1990
  • Gary W. Harnum, 1993
  • Keith C. MacKinnon, 1994, 1996, 1998
  • Glen S. Johnson, 1995
  • Peter K. A. Whitten, 1999, 2006, 2007
  • David S. Anthony, Jr., 2000, 2001
  • Stanley N. Roach, 2002
  • Alan L. Emery, 2003
  • Daniel L. Wright, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010
  • Nathaniel Ulrich, 2008
  • Kevin K. Baxter, 2011, 2012

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1919 (50th Anniversary)
  • 1944 (75th Anniversary)
  • 1969 (Centenary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1876 1880 1885 1901 1907 1910 1912 1914 1919 1929 1931 1932 1938 1940 1949 1957 1962

HISTORY

  • 1919 (50th Anniversary History, 1919-533)
  • 1944 (75th Anniversary History, 1944-3; see below)
  • 1969 (75th Anniversary History, 1969-162)

75th ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1944

From Proceedings, Page 1944-3:

By Worshipful Robert A. Parry.

On February 24, 1869, a meeting of petitioners for a Masonic Lodge in North Cambridge was held to hear a report of a committee of three, who had taken a petition to Mount Olivet Lodge for its recommendation.. Mount Olivet Lodge voted unanimously in favor, and the petition was then presented to the Most Worshipful Grand Master by Right Worshipful F. Lyman Winship, who was then District Deputy Grand Master for this District, and Charity Lodge was on its way.

A dispensation was granted on March 6, 1869, and on May 17th a business meeting was held to arrange for work under that dispensation.

The first work was to select a name and "Charity Lodge" was chosen. Dr. James R. Morse was appointed as the first Worshipful Master; William H. Bailey as the first Senior Warden and Dr. D. Gilbert Dexter as the first Junior Warden. The Treasurer was authorized to borrow One Thousand Dollars on the credit of the members, and that amount not being sufficient to pay the expenses of starting the Lodge, it was increased by later votes to Three Thousand Dollars.

Charity Lodge was constituted March 28, 1870, by Most Worshipful William Sewall Gardner, who was then Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, in the presence of about eighty Brother Masons. Officers were installed and Charity Lodge was prepared to act on any business that might regularly come before it. During the period of dispensation, twenty members were added to the membership.

The great Boston fire of 1872, and the financial panic of 1873, were disastrous to many of the sponsors and dark clouds gathered around the recently established Charity Lodge, but nevertheless it survived, for it was built on a solid foundation by men of sound judgment and exceptional ability. By strict economy and contributions from its members, it gradually reduced its indebtedness, and a report on December 7, 1875, showed that with cash on hand and dues to be received for the current year, Charity Lodge would be free from debt. At that time, Charity Lodge began and has continued on a "Pay as you go Policy."

We have had few bequests, but one outstanding is that of our late Brother William L. Lockhart, of a substantial amount in gilt-edge securities, the income to be used only for the relief of needy Brothers and their families. Charity Lodge is rich, however: perhaps not in gold and lands, or in those things that money can buy, but rich in its friendships, its memories, its associations, and especially rich in its young members and in its strong and vigorous membership.

Our Service Flag in 1918 had many members, composed of some of the finest boys in the world, and our present Service Flag has many members of the same calibre.

There are not many descendants of the Charter Members now in the Lodge membership. We have had fifty-three Masters, twenty-eight of whom have passed on, and twenty-five who are still active members. We have had six Treasurers, two of whom are living, Worshipful John A. MacFarland, our present Treasurer, and Treasurer Emeritus Right Worshipful Lester M. Bacon, and seven Secretaries, one of whom is living, Right Worshipful Thomas E. Baker, our present Secretary.

We have held our meetings in North Cambridge during all the seventy-five years, first in Unity Hall, just south of Porter's Bridge, second, in Fraternity Hall in 1879, at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Russell Street, and third, in 1893, in Odd Fellows Building, at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Walden Street.

In 1905 the building where most of the Cambridge Masonic bodies met was torn down and the Lodges decided to secure apartments in the Odd Fellows Building where Charity Lodge met. Charity Lodge felt that this was a serious blow. Could a community which had maintained only one Lodge support five other Lodges? Charity Lodge prospered, however, as never before. When the building of the present Temple was proposed, Charity Lodge joined with all the other Masonic bodies, and by good management and fraternal co-operation, this beautiful Temple is owned wholly by our Cambridge Masonic bodies.

It is worth mentioning that Charity Lodge now meets less than five hundred feet from its first meeting place. It has prospered for seventy-five years and we can hope that the same measure of success will continue so that on our One Hundredth Anniversary, it will be found at the front of every good word and deed.

Charity Lodge has demonstrated to the Craft and to the world "how good and how pleasant it is for Brethren to dwell together in Unity."

In conclusion, let us ask, humbly and with reverence, that the Wisdom of Almighty God guide and direct the future of our beloved Charity Lodge.


EVENTS

INSTALLATION OF OFFICERS, DECEMBER 1872

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXXII, No. 1, Page 28:

The Officers of Charity Lodge, North Cambridge, were publicly installed by Grand Master Nickerson on Tuesday evening, Dec. 17, in the presence of a large collection of Brethren and ladies. At the conclusion of the ceremonies the company was addressed by the Grand Master and members of his suite, after which the Brethren with their ladies and guests sat down to an elegantly spread supper in the hotel of the village. The occasion was an agreeable one, and we are pleased to learn that the Lodge, though among the youngest in the District, is in a healthy and flourishing condition, with encouraging prospects of continued success.


GRAND LODGE OFFICERS


DISTRICTS

1869: District 4 (Cambridge)

1872: District 17 (Woburn)

1883: District 6 (Somerville)

1904: District 2 (Cambridge)

1911: District 2 (Cambridge)

1927: District 2 (Cambridge)

2003: District 2 (Cambridge)


LINKS

Lodge web site

Massachusetts Lodges


The curator for this page is Brother Keith MacKinnon. Please direct informational updates and questions to him.