JOSHUA B. FLINT, Grand Master
- 01/16 (Masonic Temple, Boston): IV-419; adjourned from 12/27/1836
- 03/08 (Masonic Temple, Boston): IV-427;
- IV-428: Appointment of District Deputies.
- IV-428: Communication from Essex Lodge; recommendation that the charter be revoked; tabled until the next Quarterly Communication.
- IV-429: Committee appointed on seal and principal banner of the Grand Lodge.
- IV-429: Committee appointed to confer with Board of Directors on alterations and repairs to the Temple.
- 06/13; IV-431: report of committee. A committee was appointed to try and procure portraits of past Grand Masters.
- 12/13; IV-440: committee discharged.
- IV-429: Thanks voted to participants in the installation.
- 06/13 (Masonic Temple, Boston): IV-431;
- IV-434: Treasurer directed to yield any books in his possession belonging to the Grand Lodge, to be presented to the Librarian of the Grand Encampment as a loan.
- 09/13 (Masonic Temple, Boston): IV-435;
- IV-435: Grand Master Flint "gave notice of his intention to remove from the Commonwealth previous to the next quarterly Communication, and took leave of the Grand Lodge in an affectionate and feeling manner."
- 12/13 (Masonic Temple, Boston): IV-437; Annual Communication. Deputy Grand Master Rt. Wor. and Rev. Paul Dean presiding.
- IV-438: Report of the Trustees of the Grand Charity Fund.
- IV-438: Report of the Committee of Finance.
- IV-439: Report of the Committee on Charity.
- IV-439: Report of the Trustees of the Masonic Temple.
- IV-440: Communication from the Grand Lodge of New York.
- IV-441: Election of Paul Dean as Grand Master. Other Grand Lodge officers elected.
- 12/27 (Masonic Temple, Boston): IV-444;
- IV-445: Installation of Grand Master Dean and other Grand Lodge officers.
- IV-446: Address by Grand Master Dean, in "an eloquent and impressive manner, on the nature and advantages of this institution."
- IV-447: Thanks voted to Past Grand Master Flint, Past Senior Grand Warden Appleton, Past Grand Master Russell.
- IV-448: Committee appointed to consider addition of committee members to rank in the Grand Lodge.
- IV-449: Committee appointed to consider the Deputy Grand Master's office elective.
PETITIONS FOR CHARTERS
LIST OF LODGES BY DISTRICT: 1837
From the collection of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts
- Note: This is from O.P. (see above). There are some inaccuracies:
- Mount Carmel not in the list; its charter was revoked 1837
- Pentucket is listed in District 2, but it was dark in 1837.
- Grecian is listed in District 2, but it was dark in 1837.
- Social Harmony Lodge in Wareham had its charter restored only in 1855, but is listed in District 7.
- Marine Lodge is listed in District 8, but the lodge surrendered its charter in 1833.
- A large number of lodges appear in District 9 under a Special Agent, though they were missing in earlier and later O.P. lists; they include
- Republican (surrendered 1833)
- Friendship (surrendered sometime after 1828; not on 1835 list)
- Franklin; not on 1835 list
- Pacific; not on 1835 list
- Orion (ceased work 1835)
- Federal (dropped in "general revision"; not in 1833 or 1835 list)
- Friendly Society (in 1833 list but not 1835 list)
- Mount Pleasant (ceased work in 1828; not in 1833 list)
- Mystic; not on 1835 list
- Rising Sun; not on 1833 or 1835 list
- Sheffield; not on 1833 or 1835 list
- Wisdom; not on 1835 list
- Morning Sun; not on 1833 or 1835 list, surrendered charter "about 1840"
- Orange; not on 1833 or 1835 list; "suspended operations" in 1831
- Mountain; not on 1835 list
- Golden Rule; not on 1835 list
- St. John's, Demarara, reappears on this list after absence from 1833 and 1835 lists.
Henry H. Barton, District Deputy Grand Master; 10 Lodges
- St. John's (Boston, 1733) ★
- Lodge of St. Andrew, (Boston, 1756) ★
- The Massachusetts (Boston, 1770) ★
- King Solomon's (Charlestown, 1783) ★
- Essex (Salem, 1792) ★ revoked 03/08/1837
- Columbian (Boston, 1796) ★
- Washington (Roxbury, 1796) ★
- Mount Lebanon (Boston, 1801) ★
- Amicable (Cambridge, 1805)
- Bethesda (Brighton, 1819) ★
Isaac Collyer, District Deputy Grand Master; 8 Lodges
- The Tyrian (Gloucester, 1770)
- Merrimack (Haverhill, 1802) ★
- St. Mark's (Newburyport, 1803) ★
- Mount Carmel (Lynn, 1805) charter revoked 1837?
- Jordan (Danvers, 1808)
- St. Matthew's (Andover, 1822)
- Warren (Amesbury, 1822)
- Liberty (Beverly, 1824)
William Whiting, District Deputy Grand Master; 7 Lodges
- St. Paul's (Groton, 1797)
- Corinthian (Concord, 1797)
- Hiram (Lexington, 1797)
- Social (Ashburnham, 1798)
- Mount Moriah (Reading, 1798)
- Good Samaritan (Reading, 1816)
- Freedom (Woburn, 1824)
Aaron Prescott, District Deputy Grand Master; 4 Lodges
- Middlesex (Framingham, 1795)
- Union (Dorchester, 1796) ★
- Meridian (Watertown, 1797)
- Norfolk Union (Randolph, 1819) charter revoked 1837?
Elijah Atherton, District Deputy Grand Master; 4 Lodges
Gardner Ruggles, District Deputy Grand Master; 13 Lodges
- Olive Branch (Sutton, 1797)
- Meridian Sun (Brookfield, 1797)
- Mount Zion (Hardwick, 1800)
- Harris (Templeton, 1802)
- Oxford (Oxford, 1825)
- Doric (Southbridge, 1826)
- Thompson (Rutland, 1812)
- Solomon's Temple (Uxbridge, 1818)
- Leicester (Leicester, 1823)
- Eden (Ware, 1824)
- Carmel (Western, 1824)
- Mount Ararat (Petersham, 1826)
- Central (Dudley, 1827)
Jonathan Ames (West Bridgewater), District Deputy Grand Master; 3 Lodges
- Bristol (Attleboro, 1797)
- Fellowship (Bridgewater, 1797)
- King David (Taunton, 1798) ★
- Social Harmony (Wareham, 1823)
- Star in the East (New Bedford, 1823)
- Mount Hope (Fall River, 1824)
vacant, District Deputy Grand Master; 5 Lodges
- King Hiram's (Provincetown, 1795)
- Fraternal (Barnstable, 1801)
- Union (Nantucket, 1771) ★
- Sumner (Dennis, 1801) Charter surrendered
- Urbanity (Nantucket, 1822) ø
Gardner Ruggles, Special Deputy; 13 Lodges; see notes above
- Franklin (Cheshire, 1794)
- Cincinnatus (Great Barrington, 1795)
- Evening Star (Lenox, 1795)
- Harmony (Northfield, 1796)
- Thomas (Monson, 1796)
- Jerusalem (Northampton, 1797) in recess
- Aurora (Leominster, 1801)
- Orion (Cummington, 1815)
- Friendly Society (Springfield, 1807)
- Mount Vernon (Belchertown, 1807) not active
- Humanity (Brimfield, 1811) not active
- Hampden (Springfield, 1817) not active
- Bethel (Enfield, 1825)
OUTSIDE OF MASSACHUSETTS
No District Deputy Grand Master; 1 Lodge
- St. John's (Starbrock, Demarara, 1801)
★ = Appeared in Grand Lodge during 1837. (See Attendance Summary)