Chartered By: X
Dispensation Date: date
Charter Date: date
Current Status: status
Meeting date: Third Wednesday
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
It appears that fourteen brethren constituted the original membership of Granite Lodge, No. 26 as first convened, U. D., August 30, 1867, at the rooms of S.O. Griffin, Pascoag. Thirteen of these brethren came from Friendship Lodge No. 7 and one from St. Paul’s Lodge No. 14.
The Lodge worked Under a Dispensation from the Grand lodge until January 28, 1870, and met in a room adjoining the mill of Lafayette Reynolds, afterward the property of H.A. Kimball. On this date the Lodge was constituted, and its new home at Harrisville publicly dedicated to Masonry. Virtue and Universal Benevolence by M.W. Thomas A. Doyle, Grand Master. The Lodge was incorporated at the May session of the Legislature, 1873.
At the regular communication on July 8, 1876, an amendment to the By-Laws was presented to establish yearly dues. This was the first serious obstacle Granite Lodge had encountered in its heretofore prosperous career and threatened a serious break in its ranks. Without dues, the Lodge could survive only by a steady increase in membership, a situation requiring solicitation which was against the principals of the Order. Yet, many members still believed that the cost of the degrees was all a man should be called upon to pay. Notwithstanding considerable opposition, the amendment was finally adopted in September. Several of the opposition refused to pay, and in due time their names were stricken from the rolls for non-payment of dues.
Up to the year 1833 Granite Lodge held and exercised concurrent jurisdiction with Friendship Lodge No. 7, of Chepachet. This was a constant source of trouble and annoyance to both Lodges, and as early as 1880 Granite Lodge petitioned for a separate jurisdiction. After persistent and aggressive work for three years against strong opposition, Granite Lodge carried its point and was granted a separate jurisdiction by the Grand lodge. This jurisdiction was again changed about a year later, on petition of Friendship Lodge, which felt dissatisfied with the lines as originally laid out. Since that time, peace and harmony have prevailed between the two lodges on the jurisdiction question. Now all Lodges have state-wide jurisdiction.
A small Lodge has some compensations for its limited membership. The brethren of such a lodge know each other, and as a rule, come into close and hearty fellowship. This is the case with the Lodge at Harrisville. It is characterized by a social feeling.