JOHN ABBOT, Grand Master
- 1 NOTES
- 2 QUARTERLY COMMUNICATIONS
- 3 PETITIONS FOR CHARTERS
- 4 AMENDMENTS TO GRAND LODGE BY-LAWS
- 5 SPECIAL COMMUNICATIONS
- 6 LIST OF LODGES IN MASSACHUSETTS BY DISTRICT: 1825
- 03/09 (Masons Hall, Boston): III-533; R.W. Caleb Butler presiding as Grand Master pro tem.
- 06/08 (Masons Hall, Boston): III-536; R.W. Caleb Butler presiding as Grand Master pro tem.
- 09/14 (Masons Hall, Boston): III-552;
- III-556: Grand Treasurer authorized to "procure the best Map of the State of Massachusetts to be placed in the Committee Room for the use of the Grand Lodge."
- 12/14 (Masons Hall, Boston): III-557; Annual Communication.
- III-558: Report of Committee on the debt of Rt. Wor. and Rev. James Thompson, former District Deputy Grand Master; "the Grand Treasurer be instructed not to demand the payment of Bro. Thompson's notes until his finances be known to be such, that he can pay them without distressing himself or family."
- III-560: Petitions of Sheffield and Evening Star Lodge for remission; they are to be "considered as exonerated from any charges . . . previously to the year 5825."
- III-563: Petition by St. Matthew's Lodge to remove to the north parish of Andover, referred.
- III-564: Report of Finance Committee.
- III-566: Report of Charity Committee, and Report of Trustees of the Charity Fund.
- III-569: Re-election of Grand Master Abbot and other Grand Lodge officers.
- III-571: Memorial regarding "misconduct of Masons not Members of any Lodge‚" referred.
- 12/27 (Masons Hall, Boston): III-572;
- III-572: Report of Grand Treasurer. Only two lodges in arrears: Franklin (8th District) and Federal (10th District). Also reported that Rising Sun Lodge has been meeting in New Marlborough (without the consent of the Grand Lodge).
- III-574: Grand Master Abbot installed by proxy; other Grand Lodge officers installed.
- III-576: Committee appointed to inquire into the "situation of the Library of the Grand Lodge."
- III-576: Grand Lodge voted to take no action on participating in a monument to Washington at Mount Vernon.
- III-577: Committee appointed "to inquire into the expediency and practicability of procuring a permanent place for the meetings of this Grand Lodge."
PETITIONS FOR CHARTERS
- 06/08: III-539; Petition for Orange Lodge, Orange; granted.
- 09/14: III-556; remonstrance of "sundry Members of Harmony Lodge" filed, as the charter had been granted.
- 09/14: III-555; Petition for lodge in Oxford; withdrawn.
- 12/14: III-563; following a second petition, granted.
- 12/14: III-570; Petition for lodge in Petersham, referred.
AMENDMENTS TO GRAND LODGE BY-LAWS
- 03/09: III-534: Amendment to Chapter 5, Section 7 of By-Laws, regarding admission of members to lodges and qualifications of lodge officers, as well as requirements for balloting.
- 06/08; III-538; approved by vote.
- 12/14: III-568: Amendment to Grand Constitutions: that in future petitions for lodges should not be granted in the Communication in which it was presented; referred.
- 04/19 (Concord): III-540;
- III-540: Laying of Corner Stone of a Public Monument in Concord, "conformable to Ancient Masonic Usages" and by dispensation of the Grand Master; officiated by William Whiting, Master.
- 06/17 (Boston): III-541;
- III-541: Laying of Corner Stone of the Bunker Hill Monument. Grand Master received delegations from Grand Lodges of Connecticut, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Jersey, Grand Encampment of Templars of MA and RI, Grand RAC of Massachusetts, Grand RAC of Maine, as well as R.W. Bro. Lafayette. Numerous government officials also present. Extensive description of the procession and of the festivities.
- 06/18 (Dedham): III-549;
- III-549: Laying of Corner Stone of Court House in Dedham; officiated by Rt. Wor. Thomas Tolman, District Deputy Grand Master. Extensive description of the arrangements. Address given by Rt. Wor. and Rev. Benjamin Huntoon.
- 07/01 (Western): III-581;
- III-581: Constitution of Carmel Lodge and installation of officers; officiated by Rt. Wor. Joseph Thayer, District Deputy Grand Master.
- 09/01 (Troy Village, Fall River): III-577;
- III-577: Constitution of Mount Hope Lodge and installation of officers; officiated by Rt. Wor. Thomas Tolman, District Deputy Grand Master; after "the degree of Past Master was conferred on R.W. Bro. Leander P. Lovell, the Master elect." R.W. and Rev. Paul Dean delivered a "very appropriate and truly Masonic Address."
- 10/25 (Ware): III-581;
- III-581: Constitution of Eden Lodge and installation of officers; officiated by Rt. Wor. Joseph Thayer, District Deputy Grand Master.
LIST OF LODGES IN MASSACHUSETTS BY DISTRICT: 1825
Asa Bullard, District Deputy Grand Master; 8 Lodges
- St. John's (Boston, 1733)
- Lodge of St. Andrew, (Boston, 1756)
- The Massachusetts (Boston, 1770)
- Columbian (Boston, 1796)
- Washington (Roxbury, 1796)
- Union (Dorchester, 1796)
- Mount Lebanon (Boston, 1801)
- Rural (Quincy, 1801)
John Bartlett, District Deputy Grand Master; 15 Lodges
- Philanthropic (Marblehead, 1760)
- St. John's (Newburyport, 1766)
- The Tyrian (Gloucester, 1770)
- St. Peter's (Newburyport, 1773)
- Unity (Ipswich, 1779)
- Essex (Salem, 1792)
- Merrimack (Haverhill, 1802)
- St. Mark's (Newburyport, 1803)
- Mount Carmel (Lynn, 1805)
- Jordan (Danvers, 1808)
- St. Matthew's (Andover, 1822)
- Warren (Amesbury, 1822)
- Freedom (Woburn, 1824)
- Liberty (Beverly, 1824)
- Grecian (Methuen, 1825)
Joseph Richardson, District Deputy Grand Master; 7 Lodges
- Old Colony (Hanover, 1792)
- Fellowship (Bridgewater, 1797)
- Corner Stone (Duxbury, 1801)
- Norfolk Union (Randolph, 1819)
- Social Harmony (Middleboro, 1823)
- Orphan's Hope (Weymouth, 1825)
- Plymouth (Plymouth, 1825)
Thomas Tolman, District Deputy Grand Master; 10 Lodges
- Bristol (Attleboro, 1797)
- Montgomery (Medway, 1797)
- King David (Taunton, 1798)
- Rising Star (Stoughton, 1799)
- Constellation (Dedham, 1801)
- Charity (Milford, 1803)
- St. Alban's (Wrentham, 1818)
- Cassia (Medfield, 1823)
- Star in the East (New Bedford, 1823)
- Mount Hope (Fall River, 1824)
Abraham Haskell, Jr., District Deputy Grand Master; 9 Lodges
- Trinity (Lancaster, 1776)
- Middlesex (Framingham, 1795)
- St. Paul's (Groton, 1797)
- Corinthian (Concord, 1797)
- Social (Ashby, 1798)
- Aurora (Leominster, 1801)
- Pentucket (Chelmsford, 1807)
- Fredonia (Northboro, 1810)
- United Brethen (Marlborough, 1824)
Joseph Thayer, District Deputy Grand Master; 14 Lodges
- Morning Star (Worcester, 1793)
- Fayette (Charlton, 1796)
- Olive Branch (Oxford, 1797)
- Meridian Sun (Brookfield, 1797)
- Mount Zion (Hardwick, 1800)
- Harris (Templeton, 1802)
- Thompson (Rutland, 1812)
- Solomon's Temple (Uxbridge, 1818)
- Leicester (Leicester, 1823)
- Eden (Ware, 1824)
- Carmel (Western, 1824)
- Orange (Orange, 1825)
- Bethel (Enfield, 1825)
- Oxford (Oxford, 1825)
Oliver Fletcher, District Deputy Grand Master; 6 Lodges
- Republican (Gill, 1794)
- Harmony (Northfield, 1796)
- Pacific (Leverett, 1801)
- Orion (Cummington, 1815)
- Golden Rule (New Salem, 1815)
- Mountain (Rowe, 1806)
Edward F. Ensign, District Deputy Grand Master; 8 Lodges
- Friendship (Williamstown, 1785)
- Franklin (Cheshire, 1794)
- Cincinnatus (Great Barrington, 1795)
- Evening Star (Lenox, 1795)
- Wisdom (West Stockbridge, 1803)
- Sheffield (Sheffield, 1803)
- Rising Sun (New Marlborough, 1808)
- Mystic (Pittsfield, 1810)
Eliab W. Metcalf, District Deputy Grand Master; 9 Lodges
- King Solomon's (Charlestown, 1783)
- Hiram (Lexington, 1797)
- Meridian (Watertown, 1797)
- Mount Moriah (Reading, 1798)
- Amicable (Cambridge, 1805)
- Good Samaritan (Reading, 1816)
- Mount Hermon (Malden, 1817)
- Bethesda (Brighton, 1819)
- Monitor (Waltham, 1820)
John Mills, District Deputy Grand Master; 9 Lodges
- Federal (Blandford, 1792)
- Thomas (Monson, 1796)
- Jerusalem (Northampton, 1797)
- Mount Vernon (Belchertown, 1807)
- Friendly Society (Southwick, 1807)
- Mount Pleasant (Granville, 1808)
- Humanity (Holland, 1811)
- Hampden (Springfield, 1817)
- Morning Sun (Ashfield, 1825)
Sylvester Baker, District Deputy Grand Master; 4 Lodges
- King Hiram's (Provincetown, 1795)
- Marine (Falmouth, 1798)
- Sumner (Dennis, 1801)
- Fraternal (Barnstable, 1801)
Elisha Starbuck, District Deputy Grand Master; 2 Lodges
OUTSIDE OF MASSACHUSETTS
No District Deputy Grand Master; 2 Lodges