From MasonicGenealogy
Revision as of 08:17, 7 February 2012 by (Talk)

Jump to: navigation, search


From Proceedings, Page 1948-63:

Brother Wadsworth was born in Canaan, New Hampshire, on January 15, 1899, and died in Medford, Massachusetts' on April 23, 1948.

He was raised in Franklin Lodge No. 5 of Lebanon, New Hampshire, on November 5, 1921, and dimitted on January 22, 1924. On January 2,1924, he affiliated with Sagamore Lodge of Medford and served as Worshipful Master in 1940.

He was appointed as District Deputy Grand Master for the Arlington 6th Masonic District by Most Worshipful Samuel H. Wragg on December 27,1944, and served in that office during 1945 and 1946.

WALKER, ARTHUR W. 1861-1936

From Proceedings, Page 1936-17:

Right Worshipful Brother Walker was born in Boston May 8, 1851, and died at his home in Malden, January 4,1936. His family removed to Malden in his boyhood. He was educated in the Malden schools, Chauncey Hall School, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, from which he was graduated in 1882. He immediately became associated with the Walker Pratt Co., manufacturers of stoves, a business founded by his father. He spent his life with that concern, being long its Treasurer and at the time of his death its President. He was a Director and Vice President of the First National Bank of Malden, and a Trustee of the Malden Savings Bank.

He was a Past President of the American Foundrymen's Association, the New England Stove Association, and the National Association of Stove Manufacturers.

He was keenly interested in the affairs of his city, but sought service rather than place. He was for a considerable time a member of the School Committee, and its Chairman in 1913. He was a Past President of the Malden Hospital Corporation and of the Y. M. C. A., and a generous benefactor of both of these organizations. He was a very active and useful member of the First Congregational Church.

He took his Masonic degrees in Converse Lodge in 1887 and was its Master in 1893 and 1894. He served as District Deputy Grand Master for the Seventh Masonic District in 1896 and 1897, by appointment by Most Worshipful Edwin B. Holmes and Most Worshipful Charles C. Hutchinson. He was also a Past Commander of Beauseant Commandery, Knights Templar.

Right Worshipful Brother Walker was a man of mark as business man, as citizen, and as benefactor of his kind, as well as a faithful and serviceable member of the Craft. We miss and deeply mourn him.

WALKER, FRED I. 1886-1930

From Proceedings, Page 1930-279:

R.W. Bro. Walker was born in Dighton JuIy 29, 1886, and died in the same town May 18, 1930. He was for several years train dispatcher at the Fall River railroad station, then in business under the name of the Walker Typewriter Company, and at the time of his death salesman for the American Agricultural Company. Bro. Walker never married. He is survived by his mother, a brother, and two sisters.

Bro. Walker was initiated in Pioneer Lodge Jan. 27, 1908, passed March 2, 1908, and raised April 6, 1908. He was Master in 1916. In 1918 he was elected Secretary and was serving in that capacity at the time of his death. He was District Deputy Grand Master for the Thirtieth Masonic District in 1925 and 1926 by appointment of M.W. Dudley H. Ferrell and M.W. Frank L. Simpson.

Bro. Walker was keenly interested in Freemasonry and held membership in all the bodies in both the York and Scottish Rites. At the time of his death he was Thrice Potent Master of Fall River Lodge of Perfection.

His genial and companionable nature made him popular in all his contacts and his sudden and untimely death brought sorrow and surprise to a large circle of friends.

WALKER, GORHAM W. 1864-1934

From Proceedings, Page 1934-225:

Right Worshipful Brother Walker was born in North Weyalouth December 5, 1864, and died in Winthrop September 5, 1934.

Brother Walker was educated in the public schools of Weymouth, where he lived until his removal to Winthrop. His active life was passed in the wholesale fish business. At the time of his death he was Vice-President of the Shattuck and Jones Company.

Brother Walker took his degrees in Winthrop Lodge in 1899 and was its Master in 1921, 1922, and 1923. He served as District Deputy Grand Master for the Third Masonic District in 1924 and 1925 by appointment of Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell.

Brother Walker was a member of Winthrop Royal Arch Chapter, a member and Past Illustrious Master of Winthrop Council, a member of Winthrop Commandery, and a member of the Scottish Rite Bodies in Boston.

Outside of his home and business, Freemasonry was his chief interest and he served it faithfully and well. His Brethren loved him and will long mourn his loss.

WALKER, WILLIAM L. 1865-1939

Brother Walker was born in Fitchburg January 18, 1865, and died in North Leominster July 23, 1939.

He was for a time General Superintendent of the Fitchburg Gas and Electric Light Company, but for the last twenty-seven years was Secretary-Treasurer of the H. M. Downs Printing Company. He was a Director of the Fitchburg Home for Old Ladies. His church connection was with the First Parish (Unitarian) Church.

He took his degrees in Aurora Lodge in 1901 and by extraordinarily rapid advancement became its Master in 1903. He was District Deputy Grand Master for the Thirteenth Masonic District in 1919 and 1920, by appointment of Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott and Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince.

Brother Walker was a man of positive conviction which he never hesitated to express. His forthright sincerity and eminent fairness, however, saved him from making enemies by his characteristic. He was a useful citizen and a good Mason. We can ill spare him.


From Proceedings, Page 1939-71:

Edward Frank Wallis was born in East Aurora, New York, August 25, 1871, and died in the Hospital at Bedford February 26, 1939.

Right Worshipful Brother Wallis's active life was spent in Cambridge, where he was engaged in the sewing machine business. Always quiet and unobtrusive, he never sought public office or public attention, but devoted his whole life to his family, his business, and Masonry.

Becoming a member of Amicable Lodge in 1910, he was its Master in 1922 and 1923 and its Secretary frcm 1932 to 1938 inclusive. He served as District Deputy Grand Master for the Cambridge Second Masonic District in 1926 and 1927 by appointment by Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson. He was Representative of the Grand Lodge of Montana.

Right Worshipful Brother Wallis was devoted to Freemasonry and served the Craft with whole-hearted loyalty. He was a member of all the Bodies of both the York and Scottish Rites and a Past High Priest of St. Paul's Royal Arch Chapter. In all his Masonic relations he sought service rather than office, and the service he so freely gave came back to him ten-fold in affection of his Brethren.

WALLON, LEWIS A. 1855-1929

From Proceedings, Page 1929-144:

R. W. Brother Wallon was born in Jeffersonville, New York, August 16, 1855, and died at Brighton September 6, 1929.

Brother Wallon was initiated in Winthrop Lodge January 25, 1888, passed, raised, and signed the by-laws February 23, 1888. He was Worshipful Master of Winthrop Lodge in 1891 and 1892, and served as District Deputy Grand Master (Third Masonic District) for the years 1900 and 1901 by appointment of M. W. Charles T. Gallagher.

R.W. Brother Wallon was in the insurance business, and was long connected with the firm of John C. Paige & Company. Hewas a familiar figure as Proxy at sessions of the Grand Lodge while his health permitted.

An earnest Mason and a man of kindly and friendly disposition, he will be mourned by a large circle of friends.


From Proceedings, Page 1933-316:

Brother Ward was born in Woburn, May 3, 1861, and died in Athol, August 19, 1933. He was educated in the Woburn schools and at Tufts College, whence he was graduated in 1883.

His whole life was spent in teaching. For more than forty-four years he was superintendent of schools at Athol. He retired in 1931 on account of advancing years and failing health.

Brother Ward took his Masonic degrees in Meridian Lodge No. 60, of Franklin, N. H., in 1893. He dimitted from that Lodge to become a member of Star Lodge of Athol, in 1899. He was Master of Star Lodge in 1906 and 1907, and served as District Deputy Grand Master for the Thirteenth Masonic District in 1925 and 1926, by appointment of Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell and Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson. Brother Ward led the quiet life of the scholar, and had all the scholar's calm and reticence. Behind his calm exterior was a store of energy and efficiency. His long service at Athol shows how efficiently he discharged the duties of a difficult and exacting post. He will be missed, as he was respected, by all who knew him.


From Proceedings, Page 1940-320:

Brother Wardwell was born in Richmond, Virginia, on January 27, 1859, and died at his home in Cambridge, September 29, 1940.

Brother Wardwell was for many years very active in the affairs of the City of Cambridge and of Middlesex County. He served Cambridge as a Councilman, President of the Board of Aldermen, and as Mayor in 1907 and 1908. He was appointed Deputy Sheriff of Middlesex County in 1893, and served there until his death. For the past 23 years he was a County Commissioner. He took an active interest in military affairs for many years, being Captain in the 2nd Brigade, M.V.M.

He was raised in Mount Olivet Lodge October 18, 1883, and served as Master in 1893 and 1894. He was District Deputy Grand Master of the Second District in 1902 and 1903. He became a Charter Member of United Lodge March 9, 1927, and continued until his death. He receiyed the Veteran's Medal in 1933.

Only failing health ended a keen and active interest in the welfare of the Craft, and he is mourned by a host of friends, within and without the Masonic Fraternity.


From Proceedings, Page 1916-15:

R.W. Benjamin Warton of Newburyport was born in Brimingham, England, March 16, 1859, and died in Newburyport December 31, 1915. He came to this country when a boy and settled in Lawrence. At the age of twenty years he obtained work at the passenger station of the Boston and Maine Railroad in that city. He was promoted and at the end of eleven years of service became a passenger train conductor. For the past twenty-five years he has held that position on the Western Division between Boston and Newburyport. His efficiency and permanent good nature won for him the patrons of that line.

Brother Warton received the Masonic degrees in St. John's Lodge of Newburyport, in 1889, receiving membership September 8 of that year. He was Master of the Lodge in 1902 and 1903; District Deputy Grand Master of the Ninth Masonic District in 1907 and 1908; a member of the Board of Masonic Relief and of this Grand Lodge at the time of his decease. He labored earnestly to carry out the wishes and policy of the M.W. Grand Lodge, more especially in reference to the establishment and maintenance of the Masonic Home in Charlton.

Brother Warton received the capitular degrees in King Cyrus Royal Arch Chapter of Newburyport and became a member March 3, 1890. He became a member of Amesbury Council, Royal and Select Masters, June 12, 1891. He received the Templar Orders in Newburyport Commandery in 1890 and was its Eminent Commander in 1902 and 1903.

Our Brother was an ideal man, devoted husband and father, possessed of a sunny disposition, popular with the hosts of people with whom he was brought in contact, true to his friends, helpful to those in trouble, and an honor to the Brotherhood.

WATRES, LOUIS A. d. 1947

From Proceedings, Page 1937-128:

To those who have closely followed the activities of the George Washington Masonic National Memorial Association, the name of Louis A. Watres is synonymous with the George Washington Monument.

Right Worshipful Brother Watres, Past Grand Master of Masons in Pennsylvania, has given of his time, strength and money in unstinted measure for many years as President of this Association to the completion of the Monument and the establishment of a fund for its maintenance. Beloved and respected by all who knew him and although well advanced in years apparently still strong and vigorous at the time of the last annual meeting in February, it was a shock and a deep sorrow to us all to learn of his passing away at Scranton, Pennsylvania, on June 28th last, the ambition of his life-the completion of this Monument-still unfulfilled but yet much nearer to completion than it would have been had it not been for his untiring zeal and interest in it.

Let us hope that his passing may not unduly retard the completion of this great Masonic memorial.


From Proceedings, Page 1943-21:

Brother Watt was born in East Orange, New Jersey, on January 12, 1894, and died at his home in West Roxbury, Massachusetts, on February 4, 1943.

After receiving his education in the school in West Roxbury, he entered the paper business and for the past twenty years has been treasurer of the Howard Paper Company of Boston.

He was raised in Lafayette Lodge of Roxbury on June 9, 1924, and served as its Worshipful Master in 1931. In Grand Lodge, he served as District Deputy Grand Master of the (Dorchester) 4th Masonic District in 1939 and 1940, by appointment of Most Worshipful Joseph Earl Perry.

In the collateral bodies he was a mernber of Dorchester Royal Arch Chapter, and Joseph Warren Commandery, Knights Templar.

Funeral services for our Brother were held at the West Roxbury Congregational Church on February 7th, with commitment at the grave being in charge of Lafayette Lodge. The very large attendance and floral tributes attested the high esteem in which he was held.

He is survived by his widow, one son and two daughters. His death occurred on the twenty-fifth anniversary of the birth of his son, who unaware even of the illness of his father, is now serving in North Africa as a Corporal in the United States Signal Corps.

May the gentle influence of our Brother's life bless and abide with us!

WEAVER, FRANK L. 1854-1933

From Proceedings, Page 1934-76:

Right Worshipful Brother Weaver was born in Boston July 15, 1854, and died in Lowell, July l0, 1933.

Brother Weaver's family moved to Lowell in his infancy. As he grew to manhood he entered a roofing business founded by his grandfather. In time he became the head of the business, which he carried on until his death. It is now carried on by his son, Right Worshipful Alvah H. Weaver. The business has remained in the family for a century.

He was a very useful and public-spirited citizen. Among other public services, he was a member and President of the Lowell Water Board for twelve years. He was President of the Lowell Builders' Association during the years of Lowell's rapid growth, showing great skill in dealing with the many delicate situations which confront such a body at such a time.

He took his Masonic degrees in Kilwinning Lodge in 1879 and served as Master in 1889, 1890, and 1891. He was District Deputy Grand Master for the then Eleventh Masonic District in 1893 and 1894, by appointment of M.W. Richard Briggs and M.W. Otis E. Weld.

He was a member and Past High Priest of Mt. Horeb Royal Arch Chapter and Deputy Grand High Priest in 1893. He was a member of Ahasuerus Council, Royal and Select Masters, and a member and Past Commander of Pilgrim Commandery, Knights Templar. He was a member of the several Scottish Rite Bodies and was made an Honorary Member of the Supreme Council in 1929.

Brother Weaver was a man of strong convictions and positive action, but always under the guidance of sound principles, basing his judgment of men on character alone without regard to wealth or social or political standing. Sociaily he was a delightful companion and associate.

He passes full of years and honors, leaving the entire community as well as the Fraternity which he loved and served so well, much the poorer for his passing.


From Proceedings, Page 1948-134:

  • Born in Boston, Massachusetts, Jan. 27, 1888
  • Raised in The Lodge of St. Andrew, Boston, Apr. 9, 1915
  • Master, The Lodge of St. Andrew, 1925-1927
  • Affiliated, Manchester Lodge, Manchester, July 21, 1924
  • Affiliated, Middlesex Lodge, Framingham, June 20, 1944
  • Honorary Member, Charles A. Welch Lodge, Maynard Jan. 18, 1940
  • Senior Grand Deacon 1928
  • Trustee Masonic Education and Charity Trust t94+-1949
  • Grand Representative, Valle de Mexico 1946-1948
  • Died in Marblehead June 27, 1948

On June 27th, Right Worshipfui Edward Sohier Welch, Master of The Lodge of St. Andrew from 1925 to 1927, and Trustee of the Masonic Education and Charity Trust since 1944, passed to the Grand Lodge above. His love of the Masonic Fraternity and his desire to serve its best interests in whatever capacity was of the highest caliber. He was a grandson of Most Worshipful Charles A. Welch, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, 1878, 1879 and 1880.

Right Worshipful Brother Welch's services to the Masonic Fraternity and to the community where he had for so many years been influential in many divergent lines constitute a remarkable record of brotherly love and public spiritedness. The Grand Lodge and the Masonic Brethren will miss the services of these valuable men, but we should all be proud of the fact that they were willing and eager to serve in their various capacities. Their lives and Masonic careers are illusuative of what so many of our Brethren are doing every day in a lesser degree.


WEYMOUTH, FRANK M. 1873-1936

From Proceedings, Page 1936-200:

Brother Weymouth was born in Dorchester, January 5, 1873, and died in North Scituate, November 22, 1936.

He was educated in the Dorchester schools. His active business life was spent in the machinery manufacturing business.

In the last twenty-five years of his life he was vice-president of the Hunt-Spiller Corporation. He was also active in banking, being a Director of the Codman Co-operative Bank from iis formation, and for many years the President. For twenty years he was a Trustee of the Dorchester Savings Bank.

Brother Weymouth received his degrees in Union Lodge in 1899 and was its Master in 1910. He was a Charter member of Dorchester Lodge and of Milton Lodge. He was District Deputy Grand Master for the Fourth Masonic District in 1917 and 1918, by appointment of Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott.

At the time of his death he was Proxy in the Grand Lodge for Talien Lodge in the China District, and Representativs near this Grand Lodge of the Grand Lodge of Cuba. He was a member of all the bodies in both York and Scottish Rites.

Brother Weymouth's life was one of activity and usefulness in the community and in our Fraternity. He was always ready to place his time, his wisdom, and his eloquent voice at the service of his Brethren. His passing is a great loss to us all.

WHIPPLE, AMOS E. 1889-1937

From Proceedings, Page 1937-79:

Right Worshipful Brother Whipple was born in Whitinsville November 9, 1889, and died in Hopedale April 24, 1937.

Brother Whipple was educated in the Whitinsville schools. On graduation from the High School he entered the drafting department of the Whitin Machine Works, where he rose to a position in the engineering department. He later took a position in the engineering department of the Draper Corporation at Hopedale, where he remained for the rest of his life.

He was raised in Granite Lodge tn 19l2 and served as its Master in 1920-1921. He was District Deputy Grand Master for the Twenty-second Masonic District in 1924 and 1925, by appointment of Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell. He was a member of St. Elmo Royal Arch Chapter and of Woonsocket Commandery, Knights Templar.

Always quietly efficient, he made hosts of friends who mourn his untimely loss.

WHITE, AMBROSE B. 1862-1932

From Proceedings, Page 1932-146:

Brother White was born in Slatersville, Rhode Island, August 25, 1862, and died at the Woonsocket Hospital August 18, 1932.

Brother White's family moved to Millville when he was eleven years old and he remained there during the remainder of his life. As a mere boy he entered the grocery store of Reed and Fletcher. He remained with the store through two changes of ownership and finally purchased it himself, in 1878. After forty-three years of successful operation he sold the business in 1921. He afterwards conducted a real estate and insurance business until his death.

Brother White took his degrees in Blackstone River Lodge in 1889 and was its Master in 1899. He served as District Deputy Grand Master for the Twenty-second Masonic District in 1922 and 1923 by appointment of M. W. Arthur D. Prince and M. W. Dudley H. Ferrell. He was a member of Union Royal Arch Chapter No. 5, of Woonsocket, R. I., and a member and. Past Commander of Woonsocket Commandery No. 24.

Brother White's fraternal interests were extensive and included the Eastern Star, the Shrine, and Odd Fellowship.

Brother White represented a fine type of New England citizenship. Without ambition for political or social leadership, he spent his three score vears and ten of life in the quiet, faithful doing of the day's work, finding pleasure in those friendly contacts and associations which fraternal groups brought to him. To him and such as he our Fraternity owes a deep debt of gratitude.


From Proceedings, Page 1937-220:

Right Worshipful Brother White was born in Millbury August 1, 1859, and died in Shrewsbury October 5, 1937.

Being brought to Worcester at the age of five years, he was educated in the public schools of that city. He left school in 1876 to take a position as messenger in the service of the People's Savings Bank. He continued with the Bank for more than fifty years, rising step by step until he became its Treasurer. In addition to banking, he was much interested in real estate and was instrumental in large real estate developments. He was one of the founders of the White and Bagley Company, manufacturers and dealers in lubricating oils, but retired from that firm several years ago.

He was a member of the Worcester City Council for three years, and its President during the last year of his service. After moving to Shrewsbury he served the town as treasurer for thirteen years.

Brother White was an accomplished musician and served for twenty years as a church organist and choir director. Brother White was Raised in Quinsigamond Lodge in 1900 and was its Master in 1908-9, later serving it as Treasurer for twenty years. He was a Charter member of Isaiah Thomas Lodge in 1921, dimitting in 1926. He was a Charter member of Matthew John Whittall Lodge in 1929, and its Master in 1930. He was District Deputy Grand Master for the Twenty-first Masonic District in 1920 and 1921, by appointment of Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince. Brother White was also a member of all the bodies of both York and Scottish Rites. His tastes were eminently social, and at one time or another he was a member of nearly all the civic and social clubs in Worcester.

Brother White's life was full of service and usefulness. A lover of his fellow men, he made friends everywhere, and leaves a host to mourn his passing.

I cannot say, I will not say
That they are dead. They are just away!
With a cheery smile and a wave of the hand
They have wandered into an unknown land
And left us dreaming how very fair
It needs must be, since they linger there.
And you - O you who the wildest yearn
For the old time step and the glad return
Think of them faring on as here
In the love of there as the love of here.
Think of them still as the same, I say
They are not dead. They are just away!

WHITE, GEORGE E. 1849-1920

From Proceedings, Page 1920-461:

R.W. GEORGE E. WHITE was born in Skowhegan, Me., June 18, 1849, and died in Sandwich, Mass., October 20, 1920. He was educated in the public schools of his native town and in the Eaton Boarding School, Norridgewock, Me. He afterward entered the Hahnemann Medical School in Philadelphia, receiving his degree in June, 1880. In July of that year he settled in Sandwich where he has since lived and practiced his profession. He was greatly interested in public affairs, being a Representative in the State Legislature in 1894 and 1895, an active member of the Republican Town Committee and for many years Secretary and Treasurer of the Sandwich Board of Health. He held the last named position at the time of his decease.

R. W. Bro. White reeeived the Masonic degrees in Somerset Lodge, of Skowhegan, Me., in 1878. He dimitted and joined DeWitt Clinton Lodge of Sandwich Nov. 18, 1882. Ee served as Master of DeWitt Clinton Lodge in 1884, l885, 1889, and 1908. He served as District Deputy Grand Master for the Twenty-seventh Masonic District in 1897 and 1898.

R. W. Bro. White will be greatly missed by the members of DeWitt Clinton Lodge. He was a very zealous member and rendered the Lodge invaluable service. A local paper says: "Dr. White will be greatly missed by those to whom he has so faithfully ministered the past forty years for he was a man of exceptional character, being held in the highest esteem by all who knew him. His sympathies went out to lonely lives and breathed that hope which comes from deep religious convictions."

"Gone to his rest - O, be our own as sweet
When fall like his, our weary pilgrim feet."


From Proceedings, Page VI-455:

The Grand Master also announced the sudden death of Joseph J. Whiting, a highly respectable and beloved member of Aberdour Lodge of Boston. Though not a member of the Grand Lodge, he was so universally esteemed by his Brethren, and was so worthy a mason and citizen, that the Grand Master said he could not feel at liberty to pass over his decease in silence.



From Proceedings, Page 1936-144:

Right Worshipful Brother Whiting was born in Holyoke July 21, 1864, and died there August 31,1936.

Brother Whiting was the son of William Whiting (a member of Mount Tom Lodge) who was the founder of the Whiting paper Company. He was educated in the Holyoke public schools and at Amherst College. On graduation he entered his father's paper mill and built the business into its present state of leadership.

Brother Whiting was intensely interested in politics,- city, state and national. Although often solicited to do so, he always refused to be a candidate for office except as a delegate to Republican National Conventions. He sat in four of these, and it was largely through his influence that Calvin Coolidge was nominated for the Vice-Presidency. He was a life-long friend of Mr. Coolidge, and was by him appointed Secretary of Commerce toward the close of his second term. Though not an office holder, he was a wise and trusted political adviser and wielded for many years an enormous political influence.

He was for many years president of the Holyoke Library and of the Holyoke Hospital, and was one of the sponsors of the Holyoke Museum. He was an active and interested member and a liberal supporter of the Second. Congregational Church.

When William Whiting Lodge, named for William F. Whiting's father, was instituted, Brother Whiting was one of the first to receive the degrees while the Lodge was under Dispensation in 1909. While always a loyal and Interested member of the Lodge, Brother whiting held no office until elected a Director of the Grand Lodge at the December meeting of 1928. After three years' service he felt compelled to declire reelection on account of the pressure of his private business.

Brother Whiting's death deprives his city of its leading citizen and our Fraternity of one of its most conspicuous members.

From Proceedings, Page 1936-175:

Rt. Wor. Brother Whiting was born in Holyoke, July 20, 1864, and died there August'31, 1936.

He was educated in the Holyoke public schools, Williston Academy, and Amherst College.

After iis graduation he entered business with his father and became nationally known as a manufacturer of fine writing paper. The son of a Congressman he became interested in poiitics, not for his own advancement but in fulfilment of his duties as a citizen. Always a staunch and loyal friend of Calvin Coolidge, he voted for him for President on all ten ballots at the Republican National Convention in 1920 and was instrumental in getting for his friend the Vice Presidential nomination' He was appointed Secretary of Commerce in the Coolidge Cabinet in 1928.

He was Director of several banks in Holyoke and Springfield; President and Director of the Holyoke Hospital for a number of years and President of the Holyoke Llbrary and Museum. He was a member of the Second Congregational Church.

Raised in William Whiting Lodge (named after his father) June 30, 1909, he always retained a strong interest in Freemasonry. At the dedication of the Holyoke Temple in l92I he and his brother Samuel R. Whiting presented a pipe organ to the Fraternity in memory of their father.

He was elected a Director of the Grand Lodge in 1928, refusing a reelection in t932 because ofother obligations.

Brother Whiting combined the qualities of leadership and friendliness in a remarkable degree. His benefactions to charitable institutions and struggling families, given in an unobtrusive and kindly way, endeared him to all who knew him. He was a splendid example of efficient leadership in business and social circles. Tolerant of the opinions of others, loyal in his service to the community and his country, he was an outstanding citizen and Brother. His life was a valuable contribution to the best interests of mankind.

Herbert W. Dean
Frederick W. Cope
Lewis J. White

Wikipedia Page


From Proceedings, Page 1914-41:

Wor. George Palfrey Whitmore was born in Boston Nov. 21, 1849, and died at his residence in West Newton Feb. 22, 1914. After his graduation from the public schools he entered the shoe business, but very soon thereafter became identified with the Boston Belting Company. He was employed by this Company more than thirty years, but for the past five years had been connected with the Revere Rubber Company.

He had been actively interested in Masonry for many years. He received the degrees in Dalhousie Lodge of Newtonville in 1883, becoming a member of the Lodge October 10 of that year. He was Master of Dalhousie Lodge in 1890 and 1891, and was District Deputy Grand Master of the Fifth Masonic District in 1906 and 1907. He was a member of Newton Royal Arch Chapter and of Gethsemane Commandery, K.T., of Newton. For eighteen years he was President of the Newton Masonic Hall Association. He married in 1877 Miss Alice Eaton of Hamilton, Ontario, who with two sons and one daughter survives him.

Brother Whitmore was a true and loyal Brother, and will be sadly missed by his associates in the Newton Masonic bodies. He has left an untainted record. His family may be assured of the sincere sympathy of all who knew him.



From Proceedings, Page 1922-561:

On October 31, 1922, Right Worshipful Brother Matthew John Whittall, following a few weeks of sickness, ended a long and valuable career. A host of friends waited and hoped for a recovery which was not to be. State and city officials and citizens of Worcester joined in paying sorrowful and sincere tribute to the memory of this loyal citizen who lived and wrought in their midst for so many years.

Right Worshipful Brother Whittall was born in Kidderminster, England, March 10, 1843, son of Eli and Eliza Whittall. With no more than ordinary school opportunities he began his life's work at the age of fourteen years at the trade of carpet manufacturing in his own country. His sturdy and fixed attention to his calling soon met with recognition of his worth, and he was rapidly promoted to positions of responsibility.

He came to Worcester, Massachusetts, in 1871, where he was employed for some years as Superintendent of the Crompton Carpet Mills. Yielding to his ambition, daring and inclination for independence, he purchased looms in England and started in business for himself. That he made no error in his judgment is evidenced by the continued rapid growth and prosperity of his plas, which matured in one of the largest plants of its kind in this country.

He achieved a success of which any man might well be proud. He was interested not only in the material welfare of his life's work, but earned and gained the love and respect of all who were associated with him. He was able to go through his works and call his help by name. He was acquainted in large measure with the personal affairs of his employees, and his solicitude for the sick ones in their families made him a father of this immense group rather than an employer.

His love for his work and for these people was so strong that no inducement could be offered that tempted him to accept public office in his home city. He never sought public service, and as many times as he wa$ urged by friends or party to be a candidate for Mayor of Worcester just so often did he firmly refuse to be considered. He was for many years a member of the Board of Trustees of the City Hospital, and for some time served as the Vice-President of this organization. He yielded to the demands of his district and was elected a member of the Governor's Council, a position in which his experience and sound judgment caused him to be of great service to his State. Governor and Brother Cox said of him, "It was a rare privilege to have served with him and to have known his beautiful character. He loved Massachusetts, he served her, and none was more confident of her splendid future."

His Masonic record was one of his happy experiences. He was raised a Master Mason in Montacute Lodge, JuIy 19, 1880. and was a Charter Member of Isaiah Thomas Lodge and its Worshipful Master at the time of his decease. He was exalted in Worcester Chapter on May 26, 1882, received and aeknowledged in Hiram Council on March 2, 1883, was created and dubbed a Knight Templar in Worcester County Commandery on June 17, 1886. IIe was a member of all the Scottish Rite Bodies in Worcester and of Massachusetts Consistory, 32°, in Boston. He became an Honorary Member of the Supreme Council, 33°, on September 19, 1922.

He was for many years a member of the Board of Directors of the Grand Lodge, an honor which hg highly cherished, and a place qhere he could not fail to render rich and serviceable assistance.

His regard for and interest in his old home was made evident during the last year of his life, when he gave 6500 pounds to build the Whittall Chapel in Kidderminster. He wrote: "I have no hesitancy in offering the money for this purpose, for all that I have was made in fair competition and honest dealings. I have but one suggestion, which I hope will not be out of place, and that is that my Brother Masons in the Hope and Charity Lodge No. 377, be invited to participate in its dedication."

Right Worshipful Brother Whittall married Ellen Paget in Stourport, England, in 1868, who died in November, 1895. To them were born two children, Matthew P. Whittall, who was associated with his father in business, and a daughter, Edgeworth Paget Whittall, wife of James E. Whitin, of Uxbridge, Mass. In 1906 he married Gertrude Clarke, only daughter of Hon. and Mrs. Henry T. Clarke, of Omaha, Nebraska.

Three funeral services were held that al1 who wished might pay their final tribute to his memory. In his magnificent summer home, Juniper HaIl, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, a Masonic service was held by Worcester County Commandery, while large delegatiorrs from Montacute and Isaiah Thomas Lodges united to testify to their appreciatiou of their late Brother and his regard for the Institution. A second service was held at his Worcester home, Elmhurst, followed by one in St. Matthews' Episeopal Church, of which he had been a Warden for forty-two years, where the citizens gathered in throngs. National and state flags were at half mast on the municipal buildings and his home city was bowed in grief.

A man whose character was conspicuous for sturdiness and persistence, who did what he believed was right, tvhose judgment was sound and safe, generous, public-spirited, warm-hearted, is gone. Of no one eould it be more pertinently said:

"None knew him but to love him,
None named him but in praise."

Frank C. Harrington,
Frederick W. White,
Edward M. Woodward,

WILEY, GEORGE T. 1864-1925

From Proceedings, Page 1925-324:

R. W. George T. Wiley was born in Charlestown, August 16, 1864, and died at his home in Dorchester, November 10, 1925. His sudden and unexpected passing away removes one of the most widely known and best loved of the members of our Fraternity in this part of the jurisdiction. His long connection with the wholesale boot and shoe industry brought him many friends outside of Freemasonry. In Freemasonry his faithful and devoted service extending over many years and in many branches of the fraternity deeply endeared him to great numbers of his Brethren.

R. W. Bro. Wiley was raised in Rabboni Lodge October 13, 1902, and was elected Worshipful Master December 19, 1912. He was District Deputy Grand Master for the Fourth Masonic District in 1919 and 1920. He was Exalted in Dorchester Royal Arch Chapter February 24, 1903, and became High Priest September 23, 1913. He became a member of Boston Council Royal and Select Masters November 22, 1906, and became Thrice Illustrious Master September 24, 1914. He was Knighted in Boston Commandery of Knights Templars February 16, 1910, and became its Eminent Commander September 19, 1923. In the Scottish Rite he took the degrees in Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection October 2, 7908, Giles F. Yates Council Princes of Jerusalem October 9, 1908, Mount Olivet Chapter of Rose Croix October 16, 1908, and in Massachuseitts Consistory January 8, 1909. He became Most Wise Master of Mount Olivet Chapter of Rose Croix Aprii 17, 1925.

R.W. Bro. Wiley leaves behind him a great host of sorrying friends who will lament his loss.


From Proceedings, Page 1888-69:

Yet another grief must I announce to you. On the evening of Monday, April 30th, Brother Marlborough Williams met with, us in this Temple at the constitution of Winthrop Lodge. On the next evening, Tuesday, he intended to visit his own Lodge, and left his home for that purpose. While on the way he became suddenly ill, and thought it advisable to return home. The symptoms soon became alarming, and he died that evening at nine o'clock.

For more than twenty years the sterling virtues of our friend and Brother, have been well known to me. His death only symbolized his life. Faithful in all his duties to the last moment of his existence, he presents to us a man whom we could honor, who undertook nothing without accepting it as a trust to be fulfilled, and whose life bore constant witness to the presence of those Masonic virtues which make for character, and which our Order aims to inculcate.

From Proceedings, Page 1888-217:

Marlborough Williams, the son of Ambrose and Mary H. Williams, was born in Boston, April 7, 1818. He died May 1, 1888, aged 70 years and 24 days. Nearly the whole of his life was passed in his native city. He early engaged in business in Faneuil Hall market, where he continued for forty-seven years, winning by his upright dealing the esteem and confidence of those who came into business relations with him.

Wor. Brother Williams was made a Mason in Revere Lodge in 1856, being the first initiate of that Lodge. He served the Lodge as Junior Warden in 1858 and 1859, and again in 1865 and 1866; Senior Warden in 1867 and 1868, and Wor. Master in 1869 and 1870.

He was exalted a Royal Arch Mason in St. Andrews Chapter in 1857, and was High Priest of that Chapter in 1863 and 1864. He was Grand Scribe of the Grand Chapter of Massachusetts in 1865. He was created a Knight Templar in De Molay Commandery in 1857, and was its Eminent Commander in 1871.

He served this Grand Lodge as Junior Grand Steward two years; Senior Grand Steward, three years; Senior Grand Deacon, two years; and was Grand Sword-Bearer at the time of his death.

In the Lodge and among his Brethren he was modest and unassuming, distrustful of his own abilities — never seeking preferment, but when it came, faithfully performing the duties which it involved. As a citizen he was held in universal esteem. His sterling integrity and frank cordiality gained the respect, and his kindliness of heart won the affection, of all. A worthy Brother has passed beyond the veil to receive from the Divine Master his reward, earned by "a patient continuance in well-doing."

Respectfully submitted,


From Proceedings, Page 1946-79:

Right Worshipful Brother Williams was born in Peabody, Massachusetts, September 17, 1879, and died at his home in that city January 3, 1946, after a lingering illness.

After graduation from the local schools, he entered the employ of the B. W. Jones Leather Company, retiring about fifteen years ago. From 1932 through 1936 he was Postmaster of Danvers, and served for several years as a member of the Trust Fund Commissioners of that City. He was a Trustee of the Warren Five Cent Savings Bank; also active in the affairs of the Sutton Home for Aged Women. He was a veteran of World War I, retiring with the rank of Captain.

Brother Williams was raised in Jordan Lodge on June 25, 1902, and served as Master in 1909 and 1910. He served as District Deputy Grand Master for the (Lynn) 8th Masonic District in 1927 and 1928, by appointment of Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson.

He served as High Priest of Salem Chapter, R.A.M., and was a member of Winslow Lewis Commandery, as well as the Scottish Rite Bodies in Salem and of Massachusetts Consistory.

He has left a host of friends to mourn his passing, in Freemasonry, as well as in his civic activities, and because he has been such a valued member of society, he will be sorely missed. Masonic burial services were conducted by Jordan Lodge on January 5, 1946.


From Proceedings, Page 1942-171:

Brother Wilson was born in Boston on July 13, 1962, and died at his home in Dorchester on August 18, 1942.

After graduation at the Lincoln School in Boston, he entered the leather business, in which he remained until his retirement in 1932.

He was raised in Joseph Webb Lodge on May 11, 1899, and served as Master in 1910 and 1911. He became a Charter Member of Dorchester Lodge on May 1, 1913.

In Grand Lodge he served as Junior Grand Deacon in 1914, as Senior Grand Deacon in 1915 and as District Deputy Grand Master of the Second District in 1916 and 1917, by appointment of Most Worshipfuls Melvin M. Johnson and Leon M. Abbott.

He served as the Presiding Officer in Saint Paul's Chapter, R.A.M., Boston Council, R.& S. M., and Boston Commandery, K.T., and was a member of all the Scottish Rite Bodies in Boston. His Masonic interest was marked by his great activity in all its bodies until failing health prevented further service. He was a Trustee of the Second Congregational Church of Dorchester, where his funerai services were held on August 21, 1942.

"Life's labor done, serenely to his final rest he passed."


From Proceedings, Page 1923-150:

R. W. FRANK EDWARD WING was born in Conway, Mass., June 27, 1865, son of Edward Everett and Helen Jane Wing - the tenth generation from Matthew Wing, of Banbury, Oxford County, England. His great-great-great grandfather, Ananias Wing, was a soldier in King Philip's War, 1675. His great-grandfather, Isaiah Wing, served in the Revolutionary War in Captain Samuel Taylor's Company, 1776. His great-uncle was one of the firing squad when Major André was executed as a spy.

He was graduated from Yale College in 1886, came to Athol in April, 1887, and was employed by Laroy S. Starrett as bookkeeper and clerk. When the L. S. Starrett Company was incorporated in 1900 he was chosen clerk and a director, which offices he continued to hold, together with that of treasurer since 1912. It is not too much to say that the prosperity of the Starrett business was due to his skill and ability. He was chosen clerk and a director of the Athol Machine Company in 1905, and has been a trustee of the Athol Savings Bank since 1900.

He served the Second Unitarian Society in Athol as Clerk and a member of its Executive Committee from 1893. For six years, 1900 to 1906, he was chairman of the Athol School Committee. He was also a library trustee in 1903, 1904, and 1905. In politics he was a Republican.

The following is his Masonic record:
Raised Master Mason in Athol Lodge, December 19, 1888, dimitted September 26, 1900, and affiliated with Star Lodge, of which he was Master in 1903 and 1904. He was District Deputy Grand Master for the Thirteenth Masonic District in 1917 and 1918. He was made a Royal Arch Mason in Union Royal Arch Chapter, April 16, 1889, and was Excellent High Priest from 1893 to 1895. He was Secretary of his Chapter from 1895 to 1905. He was District Deputy Grand High Priest in 1900, 1901, and 1902. He joined the Order of High Priesthood March 7; 1899. He was Grand Scribe in 1902 and 1903. He was Eminent Commander of Athol Commandery in 1898 and 1899, Prelate 1899 to 1903, and Treasurer from 1906. He was a Past Patron of Themis Chapter, Order Eastern Star. He was married in Athol, September 28, 1892, to Miss Edith Mary Smith who, with a son, Donald Goddard Wing, a student at Yale, survives him.

He died on Saturday, May 5.


From Proceedings, Page 1948-63:

Brother Wonson was born in Gloucester, Massachusetts on March 30, 1866, and died in Fall River on April 1, 1948.

He was raised in Acacia Lodge on November 26, 1894, and served as Worshipful Master in 1901 and 1902. On December 28, 1920, he affiliated with King Philip Lodge, dimitting therefrom August 31, 1933. He became a Charter Member of Watuppa Lodge on October 24, 1927, served as Worshipful Master in 1927 and 1928, but dimitted on July 25, 1944.

He served as District Deputy Grand Master for the old Eighth Masonic District in 1905 and 1906, by appointments of Most Worshipful Baalis Sanford and Most Worshipful John Albert Blake.

In 1944 he was awarded a Masonic Veteran's Medal by Most Worshipful Samuel H. Wragg.



From Proceedings, Page 1946-81:

Right Worshipful Brother Wood was born in Natick, Massachusetts, February 10, 1875, and died at the Clinton Hospital January 30, 1946.

He was a resident of Hudson for the past thirty-eight years, being employed in the post office of that. place until his retirement in 1940.

Brother Wood was raised in Doric Lodge on May 27, 1907, and served as Master in 1916. In September, 1918, he was elected Secretary of the Lodge and continued in that office until his passing.

He served as District Deputy Grand Master for the 24th Masonic District in 1921 and 1922, by appointment of Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince. In 1938 the Distinguished Service Medal was conferred upon him by direction of Most Worshipful Joseph Earl Perry, Grand Master, in recognition of his long and faithful service to the Craft.

Brother Wood served in the Spanish American War and later was Commander of the local United Spanish War Veterans' Post; also a member of the American Legion, Post 100.

Masonic funeral services were conducted by Doric Lodge on Friday, February lst, and the large attendance of Brethren and fellow-citizens bore mute testimony of the place he held in the hearts of his friends.

WOOD, WILBUR A. 1865-1938

From Proceedings, Page 1938-57:

Right Worshipful Brother Wood was born in Woodville, February 4, 1865, and died there January 27, 1938.

Educated in the local schools, he was connected with the shoe industry for many years. His later years were spent in the service of the Draper Corporation in Hopedale.

He was prominent in town affairs for many years, serving long terms as Moderator, Cemetery Commissioner, and Overseer of the Poor. He was a Representative in the Legislature in 1907 and again in 1918.

He was a Trustee of the Hopkinton Savings Bank for twenty-five years and for the last ten years was its President.

He was a very active member of the Baptist Church, its Treasurer for forty-five years, and one of the Deacons.

Brother Wood was raised in John Warren Lodge Aprll 24, 1900, and became its Master in 1906. He seived as District Deputy Grand Master for the Thirteenth Masonic District in 1916 and l917, by appointment by Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson and Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott.

Brother Wood was loved and highly honored in his community as an outstanding citizen and Christian gentleman. As a Mason he lived the tenets of his profession. His passing, though he passed his three score and ten years, is an irreparable loss.

WOODBURY, SANDS S. 1848-1934

Right Worshipful Brother Woodbury was born in Bremen, Maine, September 18, 1848, and died in Framingham September 2, 1934. Brother Woodbury was educated in the schools of his native town and at Lincoln Academy, Newcastle, Maine. At the age of eighteen he came to Boston and found work as a clerk, continuing his education in evening classes at Comer's Commercial College.

For many years he was in the boot and shoe business, but in 1902 he engaged in the manufacture of curtains in Boston and continued in that business for the rbst of his life.

Brother Woodbury moved to Framingham in 1895 and in 1900 he began an active and useful Masonic career by taking the degrees and membership in Alpha Lodge. He was Master in 1910 and 1911, and District Deputy Grand Master for the Twenty-third Masonic District in 1918 and 1919, by appointment by M. W. Leon M. Abbott. He served his Lodge for many years as Treasurer.

He was a Past High Priest of Concord Royal Arch Chapter, and a member of Natick Commandery, K. T., and the Bodies of the Scottish Rite in Boston.

Brother Woodbury was an active member of the First Parish Church in Framingham, and its Treasurer during the important period of the construction of a new church building.

Brother Woodbury was a fine type of the self-made successful New England business man. Until very recently age had not diminished his powers, and his departure leaves a vacancy in the community as well as in our Fraternity.

WOODMAN, JULIAN C. 1873-1931

From Proceedings, Page 1931-81:

Brother Woodman was born in North Andover, Mass., May 12, 1873, and died at his home in Melrose April 27, 1931. Brother Woodman was descended from Isaac Allerton, one of the Mayflower company, and Robert Cushman, counsel for the Plymouth Company. Cushman himself later came to Plymouth and married Allerton's daughter. The Woodman family came to Melrose when Julian was three years old, establishing itself in a house which the elder Woodman built and in which the son lived until the close of his life except for one brief interval of two years.

After graduation from the Melrose High School he spent a year at the Nichols Latin School, a college preparatory school in Lewiston, Maine. He then entered Bates College, graduating in 1894. He then entered the Harvard Medical School, but transferred to the Harvard Law School, graduating in 1899. He had already been admitted to the Bar in 1898.

Brother Woodman continued the practiee of law until his death. He was widely known and highly respected as a trial lawyer. His services were eagerly sought by Chinese clients, and the Chinese throughout the country held him in very high regard.

Brother W-oodman found tipme amid all the exacting calls of his profession to do a great amount of Masonic work. He took his degrees in Wyoming Lodge in 1897. He became a Charter member of Fidelity Lodge in 1919 and was its Master in 1920 and 1921. At the time of his death he was in his second year of service as District Deputy Grand Master for the Malden Seventh Masonic District.

Brother Woodman was a Past High Priest of Waverley R. A. Chapter, Past Commander of Hugh de Payens Commandery, K. T., and a member of the Scotrtish Rite Bodies in Boston. He was also a Past President of the Massashusetts Order of High Priesthood.

Brother Woodman had served his city as an Alderman and as a member of the Cemetery Commission. He was a member of several other organizations both professional and social.

R. W. Brother-Woodman's untimely death is a great loss to the Fraternity he loved so well and to the community and which he was so distinguished a citizen.


From Proceedings, Page 1920-171:

R.W. JARVIS B. WOOLFORD was born in Holliston, Mass., October 4, 1857, and died in that town February 25, 1920, after four years of failing health. Being left fatherless when he was six years of age, he received only a common school education, being obliged to support himself from boyhood. In 1883 he engaged in the confectionery business which he followed until 1906, when infirmity obliged him to retire and he disposed of his business.

Brother Woolford was always active in town affairs, being an assessor for ten years and a member of the School Committee for nine years being Chairman of the Board several years. In these relations he proved himself attentive and efficient. He was a member of the Congregational Chureh; was Superintendent of its Sunday School eight years, and was a Trustee of the Eames Ministerial Fund.

Brother Woolford received the degrees of Ancient Craft Masonry in Mount Hollis Lodge, of Holliston, in 1889 and became Master of the Lodge in 1895. He was District Deputy Grand Master for the Twentieth Masonic District in 1899 and 1900. He was also a member of Mount Lebanon R. A. Chapter and of Milford Commandery, K. T.

In the death of Brother Woolford Holliston loses one of its most highly respected citizens and from our Fraternity passed on a worthy and efficient Brother.


From Proceedings, Page 1907-159, from Grand Master's Address:

Death has entered the portals of our Lodges eight hundred and ninety-seven times during the year. A great company, exceeding our largest Lodge, has passed on before us. Of this number is one to whom I wish specially to refer.

Dr. Eliphalet Wright, born in Hinsdale, April 21, 1817, died in Lee, Aug. 21, 1907, aged ninety years and four mouths. He graduated from the Berkshire Medical College, in Pittsfield, in 1848, and in the same year began active practice in Lee.

Brother Wright was made a Master Mason in 1854 and was the oldest Mason in point of age and' membership in Berkshire County. He was elected Master of Evening Star Lodge, of Lee, in 1869 and served in that office for the next ten years. In 1884 he was elected Chaplain, which office he held until his death. He stated that during his entire membership in Evening Star Lodge he had missed but one regular meeting.

On April 30 last at the first celebration of Past Masters'. Night of Evening Star Lodge, he occupied the East and raised two candidates. His funeral was held August 24 and during the services all business in the town of Lee was suspended. He was buried with Masonic rites.

Not long before his death, in an interview with him, he stated that the philosophy of his life had always been as follows:

"I simply came on down through the years. did what I thought was my part, taking the world and its people as I found them, trying to teach as opportunity offered that to love one another is the best law of universal brotherhood, and that the call of the affiicted is the first command."

Distinguished Brothers