From MasonicGenealogy
Revision as of 22:57, 23 February 2016 by Hotc1733 (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search


From New England Craftsman, Vol. XVIII, No. 2, November 1922, Page 54:

Edward H. Kavanagh, senior member of he firm of Kavanagh Brothers, granite manufacturers of Quincy, and prominent as a Mason died Sunday, November 5, after a long llness at his home at 14 Kings Cove Road, North Weymouth.

He was born July 22, 1853, in Southbridge and was educated in the schools of that town. He entered the granite business in Lynn with is brother, Henry, and 30 years ago the business was transferred to Quincy. It is one of le largest in that city, with headquarters in Penn Street.

He was grand master of the grand lodge of Odd Fellows in 1889 and 1890 and later was representative to the Sovereign grand lodge. He was a member of Columbian Lodge A. F. and A. M. of Boston, St. Paul's Chapter, Royal Arch Masons. Boston Commandery, K. T., Boston Council, Royal and Select Masters, Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company, the Boston Charity Club, the Massachusetts Republican Club.


From New England Craftsman, Vol. XXII, No. 8, June 1927, Page 494:

Dr. Wallace C. Keith, prominent in medical, civic and Masonic activities, died Sunday, June 19, after a long illness at his home, 46 Rosseter Street, Brockton, Mass. He was 68 years old.

Funeral services, largely attended, were held at the Porter Church, Brockton, on Wednesday, June 22, at 2:30 o'clock.

A native of West Bridgewater, he was a graduate of the Brockton high school, Adams Academy, Amherst College, 1880, and Harvard Medical School, 1884. He was an intern at the Boston City Hospital from 1883 to 1885, served on the staff of the Brockton Hospital from 1903 to 1917 and was in the volunteer medical service during the World War.

He was a member of the Brockton common council in 1886 and of the school committee from 1887 to 1910, serving as chairman for four years. From 1899 to 1915 he was a federal pension examining surgeon, and from 1907 to 1913 was a state health inspector. He was president of the Plymouth District Medical Society for two years and its secretary and treasurer from 1917 until his death.

Dr. Keith served as treasurer of the Porter Church parish from 1890 to 1898 and was chairman of the church committee from 1909 to 1913. He was a member of the Chi Phi fraternity of Amherst and the Boston and Harvard medical societies.

He had long been prominent in Masonic circles. He was a member of Paul Revere Lodge, A. F. and A. M., of Brockton; Satucket Royal Arch Chapter of Brockton and St. Paul Chapter of Boston, serving as high priest of the latter in 1921, and was a past district deputy grand high priest for the first capitular district; was past grand scribe of the grand chapter, a past commander of Bay State commandery of Brockton past illustrious master of Brockton Council, Royal and Select Masters; past grand master of the grand council of Massachusetts and was grand treasurer at the time of his death. He was alsi grand captain of the guard of the general grand council of the United States, a member of the Scottish Rite bodies of Boston and was a past second lieutenant-commander of Massachusetts consistory. He was also a member of Aleppo Temple of the Mystic Shrine.

KELLEY, DAVID 1821-1887

From Liberal Freemason, Vol. XI, No. 7, October 1887, Page 218:

Captain David Kelley, a highly respected citizen of West Harwich, Mass., died on Saturday, September 10th, after a short illness, aged sixty-six. He began following the sea at the age of ten years and arose to the command of first-class ships, among which are the following: Osborne Howes, Rival, Robin Hood, Fleet-wing, Ericsson, and General Fairchild. Leaving the latter about six years ago, he retired from the sea and has since held several town offices. He was serving on the Board of Selectmen of the town of Harwich at the time of his death. Captain Kelley was a prominent member of Mount Horeb Lodge of Masons. He leaves a widow, one daughter and two sons.


  • Captain Nehemiah Kelley
  • MM 1805, Sumner
  • Charter Member of Mount Horeb Lodge

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XVII, No. 11, September 1858, Page 351:

West Harwich, August 12, 1858.
Chas. W. Moore, Esq., Boston.

Sir, Comp. and Brother, — Enclosed I send you an account of the death of our late and worthy Brother, Nehemiah Kelley, who died July 19th, 1858, after a short but severe illness. Brother Kelley was probably one of the oldest Masons in the County; having first united with Sumner Lodge, North Dennis, April 29th, 1805. He was also a petitioner for Mount Horeb Lodge, and was ever a firm and devoted friend to Masonry. He was a zealous advocate in the cause of temperance ; and whenever he heard of others suffering and in distress, he was ever ready to alleviate their sufferings. No inconvenience to himself ever tempted him to turn the needy and suffering empty away ; if he had not the means of relief himself, he would find those who had.. Suffering humanity ever found in him a friend ; and it can be said of him with truth, that he went about doing good. He needs no monument to preserve his memory. He lives in the memories of the many he has assisted in the dark days of their adversity. His deeds are engraved on their hearts and will be immortal. He has gone! May we imitate his many virtues, and like him, be ever found at our posts of duty.

If you think the above worthy a place in your valuable Magazine, it is at your

Yours fraternally,
Wm. E. Ansell.

At a regular meeting of Mt. Horeb Lodge, held on the 4th inst., the following preamble and resolutions were unanimously adopted :—

  • Whereas, it having pleased the Great Ruler of all things to remove from us our aged and distinguished Brother, Nehemiah Kelley, from the terrestrial Lodge below to join with kindred spirits, as we trust, in the celestial Lodge above. He

died July 19th, 1858, aged seventy-five years and six months.

  • Resolved, That in the death of our venerable Brother, the Masonic family have lost a true and faithful Brother j the community a useful and active member, and the youth an earnest instructor in the walks of life, and will long be remembered by all.
  • Resolved, That we, as Brethren of Mt. Horeb Lodge, sincerely sympathize with his widow in her afflictions, and invoke upon her and her family Heaven's choicest blessing.
  • Resolved, That the Jewels and the furniture of the Lodge be draped in mourning for thirty days.
  • Resolved, That a copy of the above preamble and resolutions be sent to the widow of the deceased, and to Brother Moore, and the Barnstable Patriot, for publication.

A true copy — Attest,
Wm. E. Ansell,

KENDALL, ALBERT A. 1827-1862

From Proceedings, Page 1979-79, at the dedication of a Memorial Plaque at St. Mary's Parish Church, Newton Lower Falls, 06/10/1979:

Worshipful Albert A. Kendall, M.D.
Physician, Mason, Patriot

Albert A. Kendall was born in Vermont on March 3, 1827, and at an early age moved to Gardner, Massachusetts. He was graduated from University of New York Medical School in 1852 and two years later moved to Newton Lower Falls.

His Masonic career began in Meridian Lodge of Natick, previously of Newton, and he was raised a Master Mason on August 13, 1856. He became the first Charter Member of Dalhousie Lodge, F. & A.M. in 1860 and served as its Worshipful Master after Constitution being installed into that office on June 24, 1861.

He served until April 1862 when he enlisted in the 12th Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteers of the Union Army. He was serving his country as a physician but accepted nomination for a second term as Master of his Lodge. On June 18, 1862, he was installed by proxy.

On September 17, 1862, while treating wounded from the Battle of Antietam, in Sharpsburg, Maryland, he was killed.

The Grand Master, Most Worshipful William T. Coolidge, and Wardens of Dalhousie Lodge traveled to Maryland and under a flag of truce searched for Albert Kendall's grave. They found at the head of his grave a rough board on which was inscribed in pencil,

Dr. A. A. Kendall
12th Regt. Mass. Vols.
Killed 17th Sept. 1862

The relic is in possession of the Lodge and is on display on this day in the Parish Hall.

Masons can take pride in the sacrifice of countless of their Brethren in the service of our country. In honoring Worshipful and Doctor Albert A. Kendall we honor all our Brethren who have made the supreme sacrifice.


From New England Craftsman, Vol. XXII, No. 2, December 1926, Page 353:

Joseph Sewall Kendall, who until ill health about a year ago made it necessary for him to give up active business cares, was steward and purchasing agent of the State Infirmary in Tewksbury for 12 years, died Monday. Nov. 15. at his home, 36 Fern street, East Lexington, of heart disease.

He was born on Lyman Street. Boston, on July 12, 1862, the son of John T. and Susan (Reed) Kendall, and studied at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. For 23 years he was in the dry good commission business with the old David Nevins Company on Chauncy Street, Boston. Wor. Bro. Kendall was a Past Master of Columbian lodge, A. F. and A. M., Boston, and belonged to the Past Masters' Association in Boston. Besides his wife. Mrs. Bertha A. Kendall of East Lexington and Boston, he is survived by one son, Theodore R. Kendall of South Nyack, N. Y.. and also by two granddaughters.

The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon, Nov. 17. in the Eastman Chapel, 896 Beacon Street, Boston, at 2 o'clock, interment being in Mount Auburn cemetery, Cambridge.


From the biography on the Hedges-Scott Funeral Home. Bro. Kennedy wrote the 50th anniversary history of Waltham Lodge in 1979.

Peter J. Kennedy, 69, died of cancer at the Ozark Care Center, Osage Beach, Missouri on Thursday, May 22, 2008.

He was born in New York, NY on February 1, 1939, the first of four sons of Lois M. Essenwein of Davenport, Iowa and George E. Kennedy of Middleboro, MA.

Peter grew up in Charlotte, NC, Norwood, MA, Rockford, IL and Stamford, CT, graduating from Stamford High School in 1956. He earned the B.A.(1960) and M.A. (1963) degrees in music education from the University of Connecticut, Storrs and took a position as a music teacher and choral director at JFK Junior High School and later at Waltham High School, Waltham, MA. He taught music, conducted choral groups, and produced choral recitals, concerts, and musical comedies for 19 years in Waltham. During that time, he was president of the local organization of the National Education Association and was Past Master of the Waltham Masonic Lodge. He also directed the choir of the First Lutheran Church of Waltham for several years. His former students in Waltham remember him as their best supporter, promoter, and mentor, challenging them to do work they never thought they could achieve.

In 1982, Peter moved to Sarasota, FL to care for his mother in the last years of her life. He held positions there as business manager of the New College Music Festival and traffic and information manager for Fluor Daniel (now Fluor Corporation). Fluor later transferred him to Dayton, OH where he completed a contract with them and then moved on to provide office managing and accounting skills to several area businesses in Dayton and Miamisburg, OH. In 2005, he moved for the last time to Eldon, MO to be nearer his brother, Bruce, and his family. He worked for over a year in the auditing and bookkeeping area of Tan-Tar-A Resort in Osage Beach.

Peter had numerous interests and skills he taught himself over his adult life, ranging from carpentry and woodworking to cooking and catering to accounting and information management. But music and teaching were his first and enduring interests, and he touched many lives with them. He was a man of strong opinions, held in a gentle heart.

His parents and his brother, William, predeceased him; he is survived by his brothers, George, of Pullman, WA and Bruce, of Osage Beach, MO and by six nieces and nephews.


From New England Craftsman, Vol. XVIII, No. 10, July 1923, Page 316:

Miah G. Kenny, senior trustee of the James L. Little estate of Boston, of which the Little building is a part, died Tuesday, July 10, at his home, 51 Munro street, Sonierville, Mass. Funeral services were held at his home Friday at 2 P. M. The Rev. Dr. R. Perry Bush officiated, burial being in the family lot at Mt. Auburn Cemetery.

Bro. Kenny was born in Ireland, February 6, 1837, and as a boy learned the trade of soap and candle maker. When 18 years old he went to St. John's, N, B., and a few years afterward came to Boston. Here he entered the employ of James L. Little, then agent for the Pacific Mills of Lawrence, as shipping clerk. He was active in the Little interests until shortly before his death, when he visited his office for the last time.

He was for 30 years treasurer of John Abbot Lodge, and was a member of Orient Council, DeMolay Commandery, K. T. Ho was also an honorary member of Gettysburg Post, G. A. R., of Boston, and was for some years a warden of St. Thomas's Episcopal Church, Somerville. Surviving him are a son, William Rogers Kenny, a daughter, Miss Ellen B. Kenny, and a brother, John B. Kenny, now 82 years old. His wife died about 20 years ago.

KERR, WILLIAM 1830-1906

From New England Craftsman, Vol. II, No. 3, December 1906, Page 116:’’

Brother William Kerr, a member of Joseph Warren Lodge, Boston, Mass. died December 1, aged 76 years. He was born in Scotland and came to this country over a half-century ago. Mr. Kerr was one of the founders of the Boston Caledonian Club, and at the time of his death was the oldest living ex-chief of the clnb.


From New England Craftsman, Vol. XXIII, No. 2, December 1927, Page 35:

The Masonic fraternity paid an unusual tribute when representatives of various branches journeyed to North Easton, Mass., Friday, Dec. 9, for the funeral of Professor Charles W. Kidder, prominent in the craft and for forty-five years connected with Emerson College. The services were held in the Unity Church, with Rev. R. C. Leonard officiating, and officers of De Molay Commandory conducting the rites of that organization, of which Professor Kidder was a former commander. James Dalton was in charge of the Masonic service and was assisted by Em. Sir Walter A. Smith.

In the group of pallbearers were T. Frederick Brunton, Worshipful Master of Mt. Lebanon Lodge, A. F. and A. M.; Robert Chase, of Euclid Lodge, of which Professor Kidder was secretary; William M. Call, high priest of St. Andrew's Royal Arch Chapter; Edgar S. Evans of De Molay Commandery; Elmer C. Humphrey, representing the Scottish Rite bodies; Clarence E. Burleigh, deputy grand commander, representing the Grand Commandery of Massachusetts and Rhode Island; Leon Allen, representing Aleppo Temple, Mystic Shrine; and Dean Harry S. Glass, representing the faculty of Emerson College. The body was cremated at Forest Hills.

KIMBALL, HARRY W. 1861-1934

From Proceedings, Page 1934-226:

Right Worshipful Brother Kimball was born in Westboro August 11, 1861, and died there December 2, 1934.

Brother Kimball was educated in the Westboro schools and was engaged in the coal and wood business in Westboro and Worcester. He was Town Treasurer for many years, resigning in 1918 to become Treasurer of the Westboro Savings Bank.

Brother Kimball took his degrees in Siloam Lodge in 1904 and was its Master in 1914. He served as District Deputy Grand Master for the Natick Twenty-third Masonic District in 1926 and 1927, by appointment of Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson. He was a member of Houghton Royal Arch Chapter, of Worcester County Commandery, and of the several bodies of the Scottish Rite in Worcester, and of Massachusetts Consistory in Boston.

So passes another worthy Brother, full of years and honors.

KIMBALL, JAMES 1808-1880

From Liberal Freemason, Vol. IV, No. 9, December 1880, Page 268:

In the year 1808, in Salem, Massachusetts, James Kimball was born, and where also, after a period of seventy-two years, he died on the morning of November 29th last, respected, honored and beloved.

For the last fifty years his life has been interwoven with the history of Salem, and the two are so closely connected, that a truthful sketch of one would necessarily illumine that of the other. In his earlier years he was actively engaged in the chair business; served his townsmen in the Legislature in 1845 and 1846, was a member of the School Committee for many years, served in the Common Council from 1839 to 1843, and again in 1854; in the Board of Aldermen in i860, and again in 1880, his term being unexpired at the time of his death. In i860, he was elected a County Commissioner of Essex County, and was re-elected five times for periods of three years each.

He took an active and intelligent interest in such local institutions as were supported by the people, was in his youth and apprenticeship, Librarian of the Salem Charitable Mechanic Association, and was subsequently its Secretary, Director, and President, successively. Vice President also of the Salem Lyceum, Trustee of Plummer Farm School, Captain for several years of the Salem Mechanic Light Infantry, and President of the Naumkeag Fire Club; he was singularly sincere in all places, and for forty-six years was a faithful member of the Crombie Street Church, where the purity of his life and character, as in all else, added lustre also to his religion.

As an antiquarian he had justly acquired considerable note, and was possessed of much information on the colonial and early history of Salem difficult to find elsewhere. For many years, he was an active member of the Essex Institute, was its Curator of History, and had contributed to its files many valuable papers. At the time of his death, and long prior, he as engaged in collecting material for a complete history of the privateering enterprise of Salem during the war of the Revolution.

At a meeting of the Board of Aldermen held on the evening of the day of his death, a series of resolutions were adopted which happily express the testimony of his fellows, and which we quote:

In Council, Salem, Nov, 29, 1880.

Resolved, That in the death of Alderman James Kimball, at the ripe age of seventy-two years, the City of Salem is called upon to part with one more of a class of her citizens, admirable alike in their private and public relations, whom she can ill afford to spare.

Entering the City Council more, than forty years ago, in the early days of our municipal organization, he has been called at short intervals, ever since, to one position or another of trust and honor. During all the years of his manhood, whatever has touched the interests of Salem, has touched him, and it would be hard to point to any public movement, whether it be educational, reformatory, political, industrial or social, which has enlisted the efforts of our worthiest citizens and has not owed something to his energy, intelligence or cheerful contributions of time and means.

Resolved, That while it would be impossible to close an official connection with our late colleague, marked on his part with such uniform urbanity of bearing, such intelligence, insight and fidelity to every trust, without a formal recognition of these admirable qualities, we desire that the record may none the less evince the sincere regard we feel at the loss of one who has been faithful in friendship, honorable in every relation of life, prompt in charity, wise in counsel, and full of good works. Such a career as that just closed goes far to illustrate the grand possibilities of American citizenship, and to round out the measure of a useful life.

The attention of the deceased was first attracted by Odd Fellowship, and he entered that society in 1843, in which he soon obtained official rank. In 1851 he was made a Mason, advanced from grade to grade through the York and Scottish Rites, until in 1875, he was elected to receive the 33d degree.

He appeared in the Grand Chapter in 1855 as Grand Master of the Second Veil, pro tem, being then King of Washington Chapter, and retired from the position of its High Priest about the time of his election to the office of Grand High Priest, which occurred September 13th, 1859. This place he held for the constitutional term of three years, and to it he was promoted from the office of Grand Scribe.

In his last annual address, made in September; 1862, he recognized die importance of a Committee on Foreign Correspondence, and in reference to the report of a sister body he said: "From this report I have learned more about Royal Arch Masonry in other Jurisdictions, than from all other sources." His recommendation on this matter was adopted, and he became, by the appointment of his successor, the first Committee on Foreign Correspondence of this Grand Chapter.

The interest of this brother in Masonry never abated, and neither Rite or Grade was by him neglected. He was one of the Founders of Starr King Lodge, and of Salem Lodge of Perfection; of the latter he was its late Secretary. In Cryptic Masonry he was a sound advisor, and did what he could to advance its welfare; he also served the Grand Council as R. P. Grand Master in 1862.

It is not necessary that a character like his should be magnified by a repetition of the offices he held in Masonry, nor of the many ways in which he served the Society. That lie was in harmony with its principles we know, and happily did he illustrate them. For forty years it had been his practice to regularly set aside a certain percentage of his income for distribution in charitable purposes, and his regret to a leading clergyman of Salem, a Mason also, was, that for a few years past that income having fallen off, his ability to do more had been reduced with il. but, said the minister, he never turned us away empty, and always said, "if that will not do, come again."

To such men society is indebted for what is humane, charitable, and Christian in it, but little does it know how much these are inspired -by the tenets of a Masonic profession.

The life of James Kimball is a benediction to his fellows, Masonic or profane, the testimony to which is, that his brethren who knew him best, loved him most.

On Wednesday, the first day of winter, through a heavy storm, his brethren followed him to the grave; there in the cemetery of his choice, amid the cold and storm, the funeral services were performed by Starr King Lodge according to the custom of the Freemasons, and the silence was broken only by the sighs of the wind and of the mourners.

The surrounding trees stretched out their bare arms to catch the thickly falling snow, the apron and the evergreen were dropped in the presence of tears, and with averted eyes the brethren turned their faces homeward, feeling that the whiteness of the soul departed was faintly represented in that of the mantle then falling upon the shrouded earth.


From New England Craftsman, Vol. VIII, No. 5, February 1913, Page 163:

John Treadway Kimball, Senior Thrice Illustrious Master of Boston Council of Roysl and Select Masters, died Friday, February 7th at the age of 72, after a prolonged illness.

Brother Kimball was connected with Freemasonry in Craft, Capitular, Cryptic, Templar and Scottish Rite, and had in some way done service for each. He became known to thousands of the fraternity through his service as tyler of several bodies, having filled that station nearly twenty years for one or more of the bodies. Among others he was tyler for Grand Chapter and Grand Council of Massachusetts.

Brother Kimball was a man not only well known but well liked. He was modest and courteous, faithful in performance of every trust. His Masonic career covered more than forty-six years. He leaves behind a good record of duty well done.

His funeral was held in Masonic Temple, Monday, February 10th. DeMolay Commandery, of which he was a member, conducted the impressive Templar burial service. Vocal music was furnished by the Schubert Quartet.


From New England Craftsman, Vol. XXIII, No. 5, April 1928, Page 116:

Funeral services for Otis F. Kimball, retired deputy police superintendent of Boston, were held at the Greenwood Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, Dorchester, recently. The services were held under the auspices of the officers of Columbian Lodge of Masons, with Dr. R. C. Jamieson, worshipful Master, and the Rev. George J. Prescott of Cambridge, Chaplain, officiating. Police Commissioner Herbert A. Wilson and Superintendent Michael H. Crowley and other members of the department attended. The honorary pallbearers included: Deputy Superintendent Thomas C. Evans, Deputy Superintendent Thomas F. Goode, Capt. A. Bruce McConnel], Capt. Jeremiah F. Gallivan, Capt. James MeDevitt and Capt. Herbert W. Goodwin. Burial was at Mt. Hope Cemetery.

KIMPTON, DAN J. 1874-1933

From Proceedings, Page 1934-20:

Brother Kimpton was born in Malone, New York, October 30, 1874, and died in Springfield, December 16, 1933.

Going to Springfield as a boy, he was educated in the Springfield schools and in Wilbraham Academy. After a period in the offices of the Boston & Albany Railroad, he entered the service of the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, where he remalned until his death.

Brother Kimpton became a member of Roswell Lee Lodge in l902 and was its Master in 1911. He was District Deputy Grand Master for the Thirty-third Masonic District in 1914 and 1915, by appointment of Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson.

Brother Kimpton was a member of all the Masonic bodies in Springfield; and Secretary of all the Scottish Rite bodies except Connecticut Valley Consistory.

Brother Kimpton served Masonry because he loved it. He had a high appreciation of its principles and exemplified them in his daily life. His official activities brought.him into personal contact with great numbers of the Brethren and won him universal respect and affection. In his passing the Fraternity suffers a great loss.

KING, LEANDER G. 1830-1863

Killed in the battle of Gettysburg, Pa. July 2d, 1863, Bro. Leander G. King, Capt. of Company C, 16th regt. Massachusetts Volunteers.

Bro. King received the three degrees of Freemasonry in St. Paul's Lodge, Groton Centre, during the year 1858, and subsequently became a member of that Lodge. In March, 1859, he was one of the petitioners for Caleb Butler Lodge, at Groton Junction; afterwards became a member, and remained a firm supporter of the Lodge while he lived. Soon after the commencement of the present war, Br. King commenced raising a company in this place to aid in suppressing the rebellion. His kind and courteous deportment enabled him to rapidly recruit a Company, mostly from Groton and Westford, who remained devotedly attached to him to the day of bis death. Our Brother was a superior drill officer, having had some experience in that capacity, in one of the Cambridge companies some years since. He, with his company, had been in from fifteen to twenty battles and skirmishes, previous to the battle of Gettysburg, in which bis bearing and conduct, as an officer, had received the commendation of his superiors. Previous to the departure of the regiment for the seat of war, Bro. King was honored by M. W. Bro. Coolidge in being appointed Master of the Army Lodge connected with the 16th regt., and, though the Lodge held but few meetings, his conduct afforded no reproach to the high position to which he had been called by that appointment. His remains were recovered by Bro. O. N. Wing, and returned to his home in Groton, Junction, where they were deposited in their final resting place, with Masonic honors, by the Brethren of Caleb Butler Lodge.


From Proceedings, Page 1947-249:

Brother Kingsbury was born in Haverhill, Massachusetts, on April 9, 1879, and died at his home in Holden, Massachusetts, on September 7, 1947.

Upon graduation from the schools of Worcester, he entered the employ of The People's Savings Bank where he remained for twenty-four years. He then entered the insurance business, and thus continued until his death.

He was raised in Morning Star Lodge of Worcester on June 8, 1915, and served as Master in 1926. On March 27, 1928, he became a charter member of Joel H. Prouty Lodge of Auburn, serving as its Worshipful Master while under dispensation. He also became a charter member of Rose of Sharon Lodge on October 20, 1928, and served as Master in 1931.

After serving the Grand Lodge as Grand Standard Bearer in 1928, he was appointed District Deputy Grand Master of the 21st District by Most Worshipful Herbert W. Dean for the years 1929 and 1930.

In addition to his Blue Lodge activities, he was a member of Worcester Chapter, R.A.M., and of all the Scottish Rite Bodies.

Our Brother had many Masonic interests, but he was also very active in insurance and civic circles, being particularly active in the Community Chest of Worcester.

Smiley Kingsbury was a Brother whose passing leaves us particularly saddened, for well we know how difficult it will be to fill his place. Funeral services were held in Worcester on Tuesday, September 9th, and the large attendance of friends and Brothers mark the passing of a valued friend and Brother.

KIRKHAM, JOHN B. 1791-1857

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XVII, No. 6, April 1858, Page 190:

At a late Communication of Hampden Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons, a committee was appointed to prepare some suitable notice and testimonial on occasion of the death of our late Brother John B. Kirkham.

Brother Kirkham had been a member of this Lodge from the time of its installation in 1817; he was also a member of all the other Masonic bodies in this city, and from time to time has most acceptably presided in them all ; and has likewise held and exercised other important and responsible offices and trusts The Masonic honors accorded to him were most worthily bestowed, and always borne with, just appreciation and modesty.

He loved the principles and practice of Freemasonry as well in its prosperity, when the "dew lay all night upon its branches, whose leaf did not wither nor its fruit fail," as in the days of peril and adversity, when false friends and open enemies "cried havoc," and rushed together for its destruction ; and to us it is a most happy reflection, that he lived many years after the whirlwind of party rancor was over and gone, and enjoyed the heartfelt satisfaction of again " setting the Craft to work and giving them wise and proper instruction."

In this view, the members of Hampden Lodge deem something more than a for mal vote required of them; some just and more extended declaration of respect to be "left on long record," in memory of an upright and accomplished Mason, and an honest man. Brother Kirkham, one of the oldest, most worthy and respected of our Fraternity, has fallen in the front ranks ; and it is becoming that we offer a just tribute to the memory of our deceased worthy Brother, an upright, energetic and estimable citizen. But ho has gone down to the grave, a bright and worthy example of Christian and Masonic life, and in him was faithfully exemplified for nearly half a century, the cardinal principles of our Order, Friendship, Morality and Brotherly Love. Therefore

  • Resolved, That in the death of our late Brother, John B. Kirkham, a bright and shining light in Freemasonry has been extinguished.
  • Resolved, That this Lodge, and the Masonic Fraternity in general, deeply deplore this melancholy dispensation of the Divine Hand.
  • Resolved, That the Jewels and Furniture of Hampden Lodge be clothed in mourning for the usual period of time.
  • Resolved, That the Secretary transmit to the widow and children of the deceased, and also to the Editor of the Freemasons' Magazine, copies of proceedings in Lodge, and respectfully to request that the same may be published.

James W. Crooks, Daniel Reynolds, S. C. Bemis, Committee.
Attest, Henry A. Chapin, Secretary.
Springfield, Mass., Jan. 19, A. L. 5857.

Find-a-Grave page

KNAPP, WILLIAM 1798-1863

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXIII, No. 3, January 1863, Page 95:

Newburyport, Nov. 29, 1863.

Mr. Editor— I send you for publication a series of resolutions, recently adopt
ed by [ St. John's] and [ St. Mark's] Lodges of this city, relative to the death of Brother Wm. Knapp. L. Dame, Sec. of St. John's Lodge."

When the good and worthy are taken from us, it is becoming to notice, by Resolves, their departure, that their memories may be embalmed in our hearts, and their viitues stimulate us to higher aims. it is a particularly pleasing, though at the same time melancholy, duty for us of the Masonic Fraternity to testify our affection for a departed Brother, by acknowledging his worth as to preserve a record, that though dead he may yet speak to us, and bear us on to deeds of more usefulness.

We are now called upon to note the departure of a true and devoted Brother, though not a member of our Lodge, yet one who has ever manifested a lively interest in our welfare. Brother William Knapp, of Boston, died on the 14th day of October, aged 63 years, and as a slight tribute to his memory, it is

  • Resolved, That in the death of Brother Knapp we have lost one, who through all his Masonic career, by his acts of charity and deeds of true beneficence, has exhibited to the world the sublime principles of our Order.
  • Resolved, That by his death, Masonry has lost a warm advocate, and Masons a Brother whose kindly assistance was never sought in vain.
  • Resolved, That as we delight to recount his virtues, so we will revere his memory and strive to emulate his good deeds.
  • Resolved, That these Resolutions be entered upon the Records of St. Mark's and St. John's Lodges, and a copy be forwarded to the family of the deceased with the assurance that we deeply sympathize with them in this sore bereavement.


From New England Craftsman, Vol. II, No. 4, January 1907, Page 154:’’

Brother Abbott Kuowles died at his home in East Somerville, Mass., Dec. 11. He was a member of Soley Lodge, A. F. and A. M., Somerville R. A. Chapter. He was also a trustee of the First Methodist Church aud a member of many societies.

KNOX, HENRY 1750-1806


From Proceedings, Page 1963-181:


In gathering here to unveil this magnificent portrait, we are in a true sense paying tribute to a great American and a distinguished Mason, Major General Henry Knox. Who was this man, this Henry Knox, who has sometimes been called the forgotten man of the American Revolution?

He was born in our own City of Boston on 25 July 1750, the seventh of a family of ten sons. At an early age, due to unfortunate circumstances, he became the sole support of his mother and family. As he grew to manhood, his personality and his interests appeared to develop in perhaps two different directions. On the one hand, he was a theorist, a voracious reader of books on many subjects; in fact, so great was his literary urge and his love of books that he adopted bookselling as his life's work. His "London Bookstore" became a fashionable shop for social Boston. On the other hand, he became intrigued with military subjects and affairs, not only strategy and tactics, but the use, construction, and functions of all types of firearms. While hunting as a youth, he accidentally lost two fingers on his left hand.

On 5 March 1770, he was one of those who stood at the head of what is now State Street, near the State House, in Boston, and unsuccessfully attempted to dissuade the British troops from firing on a mob. This became known as the "Boston Massacre," one of the early incidents preceding the Revolution.

A man of peace, yet correctly anticipating future events, he read and studied more and more about artillery, his favorite branch of military science, which he found highly significant and important. He became a self-taught artillerist.

After the Battle of Lexington and Concord, Knox declined Tory military offers, and voluntarily enlisted in the Army of General Artemas Ward. He fought at Bunker Hill on 17 June 1775. His knowledge and ability in the field of military warfare, plus his winning personality, great energy, and keen enthusiasm for the patriotic cause, were recognized very early in the conflict, and he was commissioned as Colonel of the Regiment of Artillery of the Continental Army, on 17 November 1775. When he thanked General George Washington for the great honor conferred on him, it is reported that he jokingly inquired, "But, where is the artillery?" It was at this point that it was agreed that Colonel Knox would proceed to Fort Ticonderoga and Crown Point, where Ethan Allen, Benedict Arnold, and Seth Warner had captured a quantity of British guns and cannon, and bring them back to Boston.

The task of hauling the fifty-nine mortars, howitzers, and cannon on ox-drawn sledges the long distance of three hundred miles, through New England mid-winter weather, in blinding snowstorms, over frozen lakes, and well-nigh impassable roads, was one of herculean proportions. Some of Knox's difficulties included heavy cannon sinking in the ice and snow, which then had to be retrieved, breaking roads through treacherous mountain trails, waiting for rivers to freeze over sufficiently to enable the heavy weapons, animals, and men to cross. And, just as serious was the ever-present need of keeping the disheartened soldiers and volunteers on the job. But, where a lesser man would have failed or abandoned the task, Henry Knox was equal to it all: he delivered his precious cargo to General Washington, and it turned the tide for the Americans in the siege of Boston.

When the Redcoats saw their own cannon pointing down at them from Dorchester Heights, they acceded to Washington's ultimatum and, on 17 March 1776, evacuated Boston. Hence, Evacuation Day, which we observe every year. This was the first substantial victory of the war, the direct result of the valorous exploit of one man, Colonel Henry Knox.

As an interesting sidelight, since this was the great Irish holiday, General Washington decreed that the countersign for the day be "St. Patrick," and as a further compliment to the Irish soldiers in his command, he named General John Sullivan, whose forbears came over from "the old sod" as Officer of the Day.

It was entirely fitting, therefore, that exactly 150 years later, on 17 March 1926, Major General Henry Knox Lodge, A. F. & A. M., of Boston, Massachusetts, named in his honor, was instituted. This historic and Masonic event took place on the gun deck of the renowned Frigate Constitution at the Charlestown Navy Yard, in the very shadow of Bunker Hill. We shall always be deeply grateful to Worshipful Frederic Gilbert Bauer, our first Worshipful Master, and the other 101 Charter Members, some of whom we are happy to greet tonight, who were both Masons and members of the military, whose foresight, devotion, and earnest endeavors brought into being our beloved Lodge, the only military lodge in this jurisdiction.

On 27 December 1776, Knox was promoted to Brigadier General and Chief of Artillery. In most of the battles where General and our Masonic Brother, George Washington, commanded, Knox was there with his ever-ready artillery. No less an artilleryman than Napoleon ranked Henry Knox as "a master of the science, one of the greatest artillery commanders of all time." He has been described as Washington's closest military adviser and constant companion. It is understood that he crossed the Delaware in the first barge with the Commander-in-Chief on Christmas Night in 1776. Although only 26 years of age at the time, Henry Knox was a huge man, weighing about 280 pounds. The story is told that when he sat down at the edge of the small craft, he almost upset it. Nevertheless, he successfully moved his heavy guns across the river on this fateful night. Knox was advanced to Major General, with date of rank 15 November 1781. Later, upon the resignation of Washington, he became the senior officer, and served as Commander-in-Chief of the Army (23 December 1783 to 20 June 1784). From 1785 to 1789, hostilities being happily a thing of the past, General Knox was head of the War and Navy Department, such as it was under the Articles of Confederation.

Finally, in 1789, our first President, George Washington, appointed him as our first Secretary of War. In company with a brilliant group of colleagues, including Thomas Jefferson as Secretary of State, Alexander Hamilton as Secretary of the Treasury, and Edmund Randolph as Attorney General, he served with great distinction, demonstrating ingenuity as well as administrative capability. For example, firmly believing that the new nation for its future defense must produce trained and efficient leaders for our military establishment, he took the first steps towards founding the United States Military Academy at West Point. It is of interest to note that General Knox was the moving spirit in the original organization of the Society of the Cincinnati, of which George Washington was the first head.

As is so often the case during this early period, there is unfortunately a dearth of definite or detailed knowledge as to the Masonic affiliation and activities of Brother Henry Knox. However, the evidence that is available does clearly point to his adherence to Freemasonry. It is said that the Symbolic Degrees were conferred on him in an Army Lodge, attached to a British regiment stationed in Boston prior to the outbreak of war, and he has also been referred to as belonging to the "First Lodge of Boston." He is on record as having visited St. John's Lodge in this city. Also, lodges in Virginia and elsewhere, together with fellow-Masons Washington, Lafayette, von Steuben, and others, during the Revolutionary War. At lease four Masonic lodges today bear his name: Knox Lodge, No. 189, A. F. & A. M. of South Thomaston, Maine; Camp Knox Lodge, No. 919, F. & A. M. of Fort Knox, Kentucky; H. Knox Field Lodge, No. 349, A. F. & A. M. of Alexandria, Virginia; and Major General Henry Knox Lodge, A. F. & A. M. of Boston, Massachusetts. In 1794, General Knox retired from governmental service, leaving the national capital for Thomaston, near Portland, Maine, to develop his extensive family holdings there. He was active in a number of business enterprises. And, among other things, he became a legislator. Henry Knox died at Thomaston, Maine, on 25 October 1806, at the age of only 56, following a most active, varied, and colorful career as a bookseller, patriot, soldier, government executive and administrator, businessman, and, of course, a loyal Mason. Knoxville, Tennessee, and Fort Knox, Kentucky, were named after him, as well as many other communities and counties throughout the land.

He was the man whom the "Father of His Country" respected and trusted all during the long and trying days of the American Revolutionary War and its hectic political aftermath, and whose name he sometimes facetiously spelled "Nox." In his own words, expressed in 1799, the year of his death, George Washington said of Henry Knox, "I can in truth say that there is no man in the Lnited States whom I love more sincerely, nor any for whom I have a greater friendship." General Knox's character and accomplishments were such that all of us, both as Americans and as Masons, are justly filled with pride. May we of Major General Henry Knox Lodge always cherish and be worthy of his illustrious name.


From New England Craftsman, Vol. III, No. 10, July 1908, Page 360:

Brother Henry S. Kolseth, a well known business man and a veteran of the Civil War, died Friday, April 3d at his home in Atlantic, Mass.

Mr. Kolseth was born in Christiania, Norway, Aug. 7, 1841, and came to this country when he was nineteen years old. He came alone and settled in Worcester. Two years later he volunteered his services to the Union. He enlisted in the Forty-Second Massachusetts Regiment, and served with honor through the Civil War.

Mr. Kolseth was connected with the Westinghouse Air Brake Company for a number of years, and was identified with the company's club. He was a member of the New England Railroad Club and the New England Street Railway Club. He belonged to St. Omar Commandery and St. Paul's Royal Arch Chapter of Masons.

Distinguished Brothers