From MasonicGenealogy
Revision as of 18:57, 5 February 2012 by (Talk)

Jump to: navigation, search


From Proceedings, Page 1942-174:

Brother James was born in Richmond, Virginia, in 1880, and after attending Johns Hopkins University for a time, entered the University of Virginia and received there the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1906. Immediately thereafter he left for the Canal Zone, where he made his home until his death on July 10, 1942. Recognized as a world authority upon tropical diseases, he became widely known both in the States and in England by reason of writings and his addresses upon this branch of medicine. He held many offices in numerous Medical Societies in Central America as well as in the United States and England.

He received his degrees in Freemasonry in Sojourners Lodge in Cristobal in 1914. Three years later he became one of the organizers and a Charter member of Darien Lodge in Balboa, serving it as Master Under Dispensation and as Master under Charter in 1921. He served in the District Grand Lodge of the Canal Zone as District Grand Marshal and as District Grand Senior Warden. At his death he was a member of our Committee on Recognition of Foreign Grand Lodges, having for many years given us the benefit of his unexcelled knowledge of Central and South American Masonry.

He was a member of all the York and Scottish Rite bodies and in October 1920, six years after he became a Master Mason, he received the Honorary 33d Degree in the Southern Jurisdiction. Later he served as Deputy of the Supreme Council of the Southern Jurisdiction for the CanaI Zone, but resigned the office in 1932, though this did not betoken any lessening of his interest in matters Masonic.

He came to Boston on numerous occasions, usually when attending some medical convention here or elsewhere in the States. Our records disclose that in September, 1923, he attended our Quarterly Communication and addressed the Grand Lodge "most entertainingly and instructively upon Masonic conditions in Central America and the northern part of South America."

Perhaps if I should read to you a part of a letter which I have received from Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson (who regrets that he cannot be here today) you will have a better picture of Dr. James. Brother Johnson said in part:

"Bill James was a remarkably able man both medically and Masonically. He was the most profound student of Freemasonry and the most thoroughly acquainted with it and its personnel south of the United States of any Brother in the Craft. lt was for that reason that I suggested his appointment and continuance on the Committee on Recognition of Foreign Grand Lodges. Billy was of inestimable value on that Committee not only on questions of recognition but as a sort of Masonic Moses to our Brethren south of the line. South of Mexico, at least, his advice was almost invariably followed and he kept things remarkably clear of schisms. Grand Lodge Freemasonry owes a great debt to him. Moreover, he was a student of ritual and but for his busy and brilliant career he would have written something worthwhile as the results of his study and research. His death is a shock to me and a loss to the Craft."

JANSEN, DeWITT C. 1842-1894

From Proceedings, Page 1894-141:

The Recording Grand Secretary stated that, by the kindness of Brother H. Mason Perkins, a former member of Ancient Landmark Lodge, of Shanghai, China, he had this day received a copy of The China Gazette, of the 7th of November last, containing an account of the sudden death of the District Deputy Grand Master of our China District, R.W. De Witt Clinton Jansen.

It occurred on the evening of the 6th of November, under peculiarly startling and tragic circumstances. He was presiding at the installation of the officers of Ancient Landmark Lodge. The exercises commenced a little before nine o'clock, in the preseuce of about sixty Brethren. He completed the installation of the Worshipful Master, which he had conducted in a very impressive manner. It was observed, however, that his memory seemed to fail him once or twice, and he made one or two trifling mistakes, which he noticed himself and called to the attention of the English District Grand Master, who sat near him and who assured him they were scarcely noticeable.

The Senior and Junior Wardens were presented, and the ceremony was about to be resumed, when Bro. Jansen suddenly fell back in his chair, gave one. or two gasps for breath and became unconscious, Two physicians sprang to his assistance and labored assiduously to restore animation, but in a few moments they were obliged to announce to the anxious group that life was extinct, death being due to failure of the action of the heart.

Bro. Jansen is described as a man of an open, genial, generous nature, straightforward, public spirited and charitable. His counsel and his purse were often drawn upon by the embarrassed and the needy, who found in him a wise and sympathetic friend. For the last ten or fifteen years he has been foremost in every public undertaking in Shanghai. No foreigner was better known or more deservedly popular throughout China.

He was born in the State of New York, and had he lived two days longer would have completed his fifty-fourth year. He went to China about thirty years ago, and was for several years employed in the Imperial Maritime Customs. He afterwards became the proprietor of the Astor House, an unpretentious tavern, which his enterprise and energy transformed into a magnificent hotel. He filled for several years the position of Vice Chairman of the Municipal Council and Chairman of the Watch Committee, at the same time taking an active interest in the Shanghai Public School, the Library, the Museum and several other public institutions.

He was probably made a Mason in one of the Lodges in China, under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of England. He served Ancient Landmark Lodge as W. Master and as Treasurer, and had held the. office of District Deputy Grand Master of China for two years, by appointment of the Grand Master of Massachusetts. He enjoyed the highest respect and esteem of the Brethren of every Masonic jurisdiction represented in that country.

He was born on the 8th day of November, married on that day four and twenty years ago, and on the last anniversary his Brethren consigned his mortal remains to the grave. The funeral services were held in the Lodge-room where he died, and were attended by about two hundred and fifty of the Fraternity. He has left a widow and sons and daughters, all of whom have the deepest sympathy of the whole foreign population of the city which he had served so long and faithfully.


From Proceedings, Page 1943-19:

Brother Johnson was born in Bozrah, Connecticut, on August 30, 1871, and died suddenly in Springfield, Massachusetts, on January 25, 1943.

Until his retirement in 1941, due to ill health, he was station agent for the Boston and Maine Railroad at Chicopee, Massachusetts, which position he had held for over forty years.

He was raised in Chicopee Lodge on March 26, 1912, and elected Worshipful Master for the years 1917 and 1918. On May 23, 1922, he became a Charter Member of Samuel Osgood Lodge of Springfield and also served this Lodge as its presiding officer in 1923 and 1924. He became District Deputy Grand Master of the Chicopee 18th District in 1940 and 1941, by appointments of Most Worshipfuls Joseph Earl Perry and Albert A. Schaefer.

His interest in the bodies of the York Rite is shown by the following list of offices held by him: Past High Priest of Unity Royal Arch Chapter, Past District Deputy Grand High Priest of the 5th Capitular District, Past Illustrious Master of Springfield Council, R. & S. M., and Past Commander of Springfield Commandery No. 6, K.T. He was also a member of all the Scottish Rite Bodies in Springfield,

We regret, as does his host of good friends, the passing of this kindly Brother and drop a sprig of Acacia to his memory.

JOHNSON, WALTER F. 1868-1941

From Proceedings, Page 1941-164:

Right Worshipful Brother Johnson was born in Sandwich, Massachusetts, on October 11 1868, and died in East Milton on March 31, 1941. Masonic burial services were held at Burroughs Funeral Home, Upham's Corner, Dorchester, on April 2, 1941, Saint Paul's and Hesperia Lodges officiating.

After graduation frorn the John A. Andrew Grammar School, South Boston, in 1883, he was employed in the rubber business until 1901, when he opened a rctail dry goods store in Dorchester and remained there until 1928. Closing that business, he entered the employ of the Grand Lodge of Masons and continued there until his death.

In 1894 he married. Nellie B. Gustin, who predeceased him. There were no children.

Brother Johnson was raised in Saint Paul's Lodge on May 1, 1900, served as Master in 1923, and as Secretary in 1926 and 1927. He affiliated with Dorchester Lodge March 5, 1914, dimitting therefrom September 6, 1917. On September 18, 1928, he affiliated with Hesperia Lodge and served as Secretary from 1929 untll his death. He was also actively interested in the Masonic Secretaries' Association of Massachusetts, serving as its Secretary from 1937 until his passing.

In Grand Lodge he served as District Deputy Grand Master of the (South Boston) 4th District in 1927 and 1928, by appointment of Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson. He was also Grand Representative of the Grand Lodge of Idaho near this Grand Lodge.

Brother Johnson was a member of Dorchester Royal Arch Chapter and a Past Master of Roxbury Council. He was also a member of all of the Scottish Rite Bodies in Boston. In addition to his Masonic memberships, Brother Johnson had also been active in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows for many years and was a member of their Veterans' Association.

Brother Johnson's health had been failing for the past two years and his death, though deeply regretted, was not unexpected by his many friends.


From Proceedings, Page 1945-265:

Brother Johnson was born in Ludlow, Vermont, on December 19, 1867, and died at his home in Franklin, Massachusetts, on August 25, 1945.

He attended the public schools of Ludlow and Black River Academy. At the age of twenty, he moved to Franklin, Massachusetts, and entered the employ of the Snow-Bassett Company as an accountant, in which line of work he continued until 1898, when he entered the insurance business, which profession he followed until his death.

He was raised in Excelsior Lodge on July 9, 1897, and served as Master in 1906 and 1907. Being deeply interested in music, he served as organist during several years.

He served as District Deputy Grand Master of the old 22nd Masonic District in 1928 and 1929, by appointments of Most Worshipful Brothers Frank L. Simpson and Herbert W. Dean.

At the time of his death, he was Chairman of the Committee on Returns of the Grand Lodge, in which position he had efficiently worked for several years.

He seryed as Proxy for Huelen Lodge of Santiago, Chile, from 1933 until his death, and faithfully represented that Lodge in the Grand Lodge.

He was an interested member of Miller Chapter, R.A.M., and served as organist many times.

He took a very active interest in civic affairs, serving as town moderator and as chairman of the finance committee. His work for the American Red Cross was long and efficient.

The splendid life and character of Brother Johnson were well known and appreciated by countless fqiends and citizens of his community. Always a keen student of human nature and well posted on local, state and national affairs, it was ever his endeavor, in a quiet way, to work hard for those things which he believed were good and of benefit to his fellow men. Living serenely and with a complete confidence in the future, he passed on in like manner.

Funeral services were held at his late home on Monday, August 27th, followed by Masonic burial services conducted by Excelsior Lodge.

JORDAN, CHARLES G. 1875-1936

From Proceedings, Page 1936-141:

Right Worshipful Brother Jordan was born in Braintree June 27, 1875, and died there May 21, 1936.

Brother Jordan was educated in the public schools of Braintree, Adams Academy at Quincy, and Tufts College, which gave him a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1896.

Brother Jordan's early business was the conduct of a grain, hay, and flour business. While thus engaged, he became Treasurer of the South Shore Cooperative Bank. This work so interested him that he decided to devote his whole time to banking. He retained his connection with the Cooperative Bank for the rest of his life, and became a Director of the Weymouth Trust Company and manager of a branch office. He was a member of the Executive Committee of the Massachusetts Cooperative Bank League.

He served the town as a member of many important committees and was long one of the three Light Commissioners. He was the organizer and first President of the Weymouth Rotary Club.

He was raised in Delta Lodge February 23, 1904, was its Master in I9I2 and 1913, and its Secretary from 1920 until his death. He was Junior Grand Steward in 1914 and District Deputy Grand Master for the Twenty-sixth Masonic District in 1916 and 1917, by appointment of Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson and Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott. He was a member of Pentalpha Chapter and a member and Past Commander of South Shore Commandery.

A memorial committee of his Lodge characterized him as "rich in the love and esteem of all who knew him; blessed and fortunate as having no such thing as an enemy; honored for his integritv, skill, and judgment in business, in finance, in public service, and in Masonry."


From Proceedings, Page 1943-165:

Brother Joslin was born in Oxford, Massachusetts, on December 14, 1862, and died at his home in that place on September 10, 1943.

After graduation from Philips Exeter Academy in 1881, he entered the shoe manufacturing business, in which he remained until his retirement in 1922 as President of the H. S. Joslin Company.

He took an active interest in town affairs, serving as Moderator for thirty-two years, and was also a member of the School Board and of the Board of Health.

He was raised in Oxford Lodge on July 19, 1897, and served as Master in 1903-1904. By appointment of Most Worshipful John Albert Blake, he serv'ed as District Deputy Grand Master of the old 19th District in 1907 and 1908.

On December 27, 1911, he was elected a member of the Board of Masonic Relief and his service was continuous and faithful until his death. His deep interest in the Masonic Home was shown by his frequent visits and his kindly attention to the guests there, as well as by his regular attendance upon the meetings of the Board of Relief in Boston.

He was exalted in Tyrian Chapter, R.A.M., of Millbury on October 4, 1898, and served as High Priest in 1907. He was greeted in Hiram Council, R. & S. M., in 1899, and knighted in Worcester County Commandery, K.T., in 1900.

He was buried in North Cemetery in Oxford on September 12, 1943, the Masonic burial service being conducted by Oxford Lodge.

His was a life of unselfish service to the community and to Freemasonry and his memory should inspire us all to follow in his footsteps and to be guided by his ideals.

"We can be great by helping one another;
We can be loved for very simple deeds;
Who has the grateful mention of a brother
Has really all the honor that he needs."

Distinguished Brothers