From MasonicGenealogy
Revision as of 12:13, 6 April 2015 by Hotc1733 (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

EAMES, TIMOTHY 1762-1846

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, V: 189-190, April 1846:

Died in Framingham, (Mass.) March 11th, Col. TIMOTHY EAMES, aged 83 years and 6 months. Brother Eames was made a Mason in Middlesex Lodge, at Framingham, June 17th, 1800, and he had consequently been a member of the Order for nearly 46 years.

In March 1801, he was chosen Steward, and seved one year. In Dec. 1802, he was chosen Tyler, and served one year. In 1807, he was again chosen Tyler, and has been annually re-elected to this office from that time to the present. And what is remarkable, and probably unparallelled in Masonic history, he has never been absent from his post at a single regular meeting of the Lodge during this long space of nearly thirty-nine consecutive years! This circumstance was a subject of congratulation to him in the latter period of his life, and it was with pride and delight that he performed a duty, which he assumed before some of the oldest members had been initiated, and which seemed to devolve upon him by immemorial usage. He took pleasure in serving the Lodge in a station which, in itself, could afford him but little interest, and which necessarily debarred him from active participation in the work and proceedings of our meetings.

He was by trade a carpenter. His habits were active, and he had ever enjoyed almost entire exemption from sickness until within a week of his death. The infirmities of age had been gradually stealing upon him, impairing his hearing, and causing his steps to totter, but he enjoyed general good health until a little shop, containing his tools and some other articles of value to him, for their history and associations, as memorials of other days, caught fire and burned down, which was the immediate cause of his last sickness.

His funeral took place on the 14th inst. The Masonic Brethren, being obliged by the inclemency of the season to omit the contemplated public ceremonies, joined the procession that accompanied his remains to their last resting place, and silently dropped the tear of sympathy and regret on taking the last farewell of an aged, and venerable, and faithful Brother. He was a man of an amiable and peaceable disposition, and bore the reputation of an upright citizen and an honest man.

On the coffin plate, procured by the Lodge of which he was so long a useful member, was the following plain insciption:

"TIMOTHY EAMES. Died March 11th, 1846,
Aged 83 years. FIDELITY. Square and Compass."

At a special meeting of Middlesex Lodge, held on the 14th of March, 1846, the following resolves were unanimously adopted:

Whereas, it hath pleased Divine Providence to remove from this life our aged and esteemed Brother, Colonel Timothy Eames, after an uninterrupted and faithful service as Tyler of Middlesex Lodge for nearly 39 years -

Resolved, by the members of said Lodge, that we cherish in grateful remembrance the long and meritorious services of our departed Brother; that we hold in esteem his character as a man and a Mason; and that we unitedly extend to his surviving relatives our cordial sympathy and condolence in their recent bereavement.

Resolved, That the above be recorded by the Secretary in the books of the Lodge, and that a copy of the same be communicated by him to the family of our deceased Brother.

Dudley, March 16th, 1846.

See also Description on Lodge web site
Listed in Saratoga Participants


From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XVII, No. 7, May 1858, Page 223:

Pepperell, Ms., March 30th, 1858.

Charles W. Moore, Esq.

Dear Sir and Brother— Why is it that while we are pursuing our work on earth's Trestle Board in harmony and love, we are checked in full career, and called to mourn the loss of our Brethren? That "still small voice," which spoke in the Garden of Eden, speaks to us in death-like tones — "Thou shalt die, and not live!

Brother Alpheus Eastman, (one of the oldest members of St. Paul's Lodge, Groton, Mass.,) died at his residence in Hollis, N.H., Feb. 23d, 1858, aged seventy years. Brother Eastman, during that unholy crusade of antimasonry, stood firm to the Institution of Freemasonry! He was an industrious man, an excellent teacher of sacred Music, and a worthy Brother. Several years before his death he requested, in open Lodge, to be buried with Masonic honors, at his demise. A vote was taken by the Lodge, which was unanimous in granting his request. On the 25th of Feb. the W. Master, Wardens and Brethren of St. Paul's Lodge, and a deputation of worthy Brethren from Rising Sun Lodge, Nashua, N. H., escorted his remains to the tomb, in presence of a great collection of relatives and friends, who observed the most perfect order during our solemn services, which reflected the highest honor upon the Masonic Institution.

At a regular meeting of St. Paul's Lodge, in Groton, Mass., March 29, 1858, the following resolves were passed :—

  • Resolved, That in the sudden death of our worthy Brother, we are warned to have our "lamps trimmed and burning," that when the summons of death comes to us, we may answer the grim tyrant — "We are ready."
  • Resolved, That as our ranks are yearly tinned by the common executioner of the human race, not a moment is to be lost, in preparing for the spirit world.
  • Resolved, That our furniture and jewels be clothed in mourning for three months, as a mark of respect for our deceased Brother.
  • Resolved, That we sympathize with the afflicted family, and tender to them our heartfelt grief.
  • Resolved, That the Secretary send to the family of our deceased Brother a copy of these resolutions, and that they be published in the Freemasons' Magazine, at Boston.

Ebenezer Sawtell, W. M.

"Alpheus was a member of the Hollis Community Church and was a choir director there. This love of music was inherited by his granddaughters and they continued to sing, as well as play the church organ in the same church. Apparently the family had a musical bent. Henry Little in Hollis Seventy Years Ago said he was a man of great activity and life and ran a singing school at his house."

EDMANDS, THOMAS F. 1840-1906

From New England Craftsman, Vol. I, No. 11, September 1906, Page 472:

Brother Thomas F. Edmands, a well known member of the Lodge of St. Andrew of Boston, died at his home August 30. Funeral services with military honors of a most impressive character were held in Trinity Church Saturday, September 1 Lieut. Edmands was for 33 years commander of the First Corps of Cadets, M. V. M. During a greater portion of his life he was connected with the State Militia and with distinction in the Civil War. He w i-mustered in the service in 1861 and com missioned a lieutenant in Company K of the 24th Massachusetts Regiment, to which he remained attached four years and four months, being then mustered out as a lieutenant-colonel of the regiment. H< was brevetted colonel U. S. V. for "gallant and meritorious conduct throughout the war," March 13, 1866. He was with the 9th, 10th, 18th and 24th Corps at varioustimes. A widow and son survive him.



From Lenox History web site:

He was born in Sheffield in 1757, son of Seth Eggleston and Rachel Church Eggleston. Like many of his generation, his father was born in Westfield and emigrated west – as his father may have done before him. Many Revolutionary War veterans were 3rd or 4th generation descendants of the Puritans who had landed in Boston in the 1630’s.

About 200 Lenox residents are listed on the Revolutionary War rosters. Not all would have served as long as Major General Paterson or Major Egleston, but it was clearly a town with strong patriot sympathies.

Azirah must have been very committed to the Revolution since he enlisted as a Private in April 1775 at age 18 and participated in many crucial battles and left the service as a Major.

Upon his return, he married the daughter of the local hero, Major General Patterson . When his father-in-law left for new opportunities in New York state, Azirah and his wife Hannah moved into Patterson’s handsome Federal style home which you can still see on Main Street. By 1806, he had become quite successful and bought the original home of town founder Israel Dewey which stood at the site of the current Birchwood Inn at Hubbard and Main.

Azirah died in 1822 (age 64) and is buried with his wife Hannah who had died in 1803 (age 33).

His grandson Thomas Egleston led an effort to erect a monument to Paterson and Egleston(unveiled in 1892) and to have Major General and Mrs. Paterson brought to Lenox and re-interred at the cemetery at Church on the Hill.

See “The Life of John Paterson: Major General in the Revolutionary Army,” by Thomas Egleston

  • Biography in Evening Star Centenary History


From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XVII, No. 2, December 1857, Page 63:

West Harwich, Oct. 28, 1857.

Died in Fall River on Sunday, October 25th, 1857, Bro. Barnabas W. Eldredge, aged forty years.

At a communication of Mount Horeb Lodge of A. F. and A. Masons, held at their Hall on Wednesday evening, October 28, the following preamble and resolutions were unanimously adopted :—

  • Whereas, the Great Dispenser of all things has been pleased in his All-wise Providence, to remove from us by death, our much esteemed and worthy Brother, Barnabus W. Eldredge, Junior Warden of Mount Horeb Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and as the high respect we entertain for his memory, demands from us an expression of our feelings on the occasion, be it therefore
  • Resolved, That we deeply deplore his early death, and in it the circle of friends in which he moved has lost a most valuable Companion; the Masonic Fraternity an estimable and worthy member; this Lodge an efficient and faithful officer. As a friend he was always true and generous ; as a husband kind and affectionate; as a Mason pure, zealous and faithful, devoted to the Order, and one whose example was worthy of imitation.
  • Resolved, That as a testimonial of the high regard we entertain for our departed Brother and friend, the Lodge be dressed in the usual mourning for the space of three months.
  • Resolved, That we tender our heartfelt sympathy to the afflicted widow and relatives of our deceased worthy Brother, in the loss of a faithful and affectionate husband, and a true and trusty friend.
  • Resolved, That the thanks of the Lodge be tendered to the Brethren of our Fraternity in Fall River for their kindness and attention towards our deceased Brother during his last sickness and death.
  • Resolved, That a copy of this preamble and accompanying resolutions be presented to the bereaved wife of our deceased Brother.
  • Resolved, That a copy of the same be sent to the office of the Barnstable Patriot, and also to Moore's Freemasons' Monthly Magazine, for publication.

N. D. Kelley,
Anthony Kelley,
S. D. Chase,


From Proceedings, Page 1946-248:

Brother Eldredge was born in Milford, Massachusetts, on January 12, 1864, and died at his home in that City on August 28, 1946, after a lingering illness of five years.

After graduation at the Milford High School in 1881, he conducted a paint store in Milford, later entering the florist business with his late wife.

He was raised in Montgomery Lodge of Milford on September 24, 1885, and was its Worshipful Master in 1894 and 1895 and its Secretary for twenty-two years. He served as District Deputy Grand Master for the 20th Masonic District in 1902 and 1903, by appointments of Most Worshipful Brothers Charles T. Gallagher and Baalis Sanford.

He was a Past High Priest of Mt. Lebanon Chapter, R.A.M., Past Commander of Milford Commandery, K.T., and a member of Milford Council, R.& S.M.

Masonic burial was conducted by Montgomery Lodge on Saturday, August 31, at Vernon Grove Cemetery in Milford.

Brother Eldredge devoted over sixty years in service to the Craft and we say farewell to him with deep regret.


From Proceedings, Page 1947-193:

Brother Eldridge was born in South Dennis, Massachusetts, on August 6, 1885, and died at Hyannis on March 19, 1947.

After attending the public schools of Dennis, he became a stone mason, and later, custodian of the school buildings in Dennis.

He was raised in Mount Horeb Lodge of Harwich on October 8, 1920, and served as Master in 1929, 1930 and 1945. He served as District Deputy Grand Master for the (Provincetown) 32nd District in 1942 and 1943, by appointment of Most Worshipful Albert A. Schaefer, Grand Master.

Brother Eldridge was interested in the affairs of his town, serving as a special policeman, member of the volunteer fire department, and cem6tery commissioner. His interest in youth made him active in the establishment of the Cape Cod Chapter of DeMolay, and as Instructor and Advisor of that Chapter.

In recognition of his outstanding service to Freemasonry, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal in March, 1947, by Most Worshipful Samuel H. Wragg, but died before conferment could be made. The memory of his interest and service will long abide with us.


From New England Craftsman, Vol. III, No. 10, July 1908, Page 360:

Brother Nehemiah D. Eldredge, a member of St. John's Lodge, St. Paul's Chapter and De Molay Commandery of Boston, died suddenly at his home in Dorchester, Monday, April 20th. He was well known in the wholesale fish business and was greatly respected by all his associates. His funeral was conducted with Masonic service by his lodge.


From Proceedings, Page 1883-228:

Bro. Bartlett Ellis, a signer of the Declaration of 1831, a Mason of fifty-eight years' standing, and a life-long resident of Plymouth, was born August 26, 1795, and died November 2, 1883. He was raised a Master Mason in Plymouth Lodge, December 8, 1825, and, through his protracted life, his daily walk illustrated the gentle teachings of our Craft. He was a man of retiring disposition, not inclined to accept any official positions in Masonry, but most loyal to the Institution, and held in high esteem by his fellow-Craftsmen. His Masonic life covered, within a few months, the entire history of his Lodge, and, in the eightieth year of his age, he enjoyed the pleasure of attending its fiftieth anniversary. A man of unswerving integrity of character, and great kindness of heart, our worthy Brother was a type of that numerous class of Masons whose even and modest lives are made useful and honorable by the faithful discharge of the duties of good citizenship and neighborly kindness, and whose silent example is always an influence for good to those around them. I take pleasure in paying a tribute, however imperfect, to the memory of so good a Mason and. so worthy a man.


From Proceedings, Page 1939-199:

Right Worshipful Edward Jarvis Ellis was born in Bath, Maine, April 4, 1854, and died at Hyde Park June 4, 1939.

He was educated in the schools of his native city and took up his residence in Hyde Park when about twenty-two years of age. He entered the service of a firm of leather merchants and later became a partner, continuing there until his retirement from active business. He was prominent in local affairs, civic as well as Masonic.

Brother Ellis took his degrees in Hyde Park Lodge in 1893 and was its Master in 1905 and 1907. He became its Secretary in 1921 and continued in office until his death. He was District Deputy Grand Master for the Twenty-fifth Masonic District in 1913 and 1914, by appointment of Most Worshipful Everett C. Benton and Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson. He was also the District Representative on the Board of Masonic Relief.

In the collati:ral branches of Masonry he was a member and Past High Priest of Norfolk Royal Arch Chapter, a member and Past Master of Hyde Park Council, Royal and Select Masters, a member and Recorder of Cypress Commandery, Knights Templar, and a member of the Scottish Rite Bodies in Boston.

Right Worshipful Brother Ellis was very efficient in all his undertakings. Always calm, affable, and kindly, he made friends wherever he went. Hyde Park has lost a good citizen; Masonry has lost an efficient and well-loved worker.

ELLIS, WARREN B. 1838-1922

From Proceedings, Page 1922-430:

Our good Brother Ellis died at his home in Brookline last Friday (Dec. 8). He was District Deputy Grand Master in 1891 and 1892 for the First District. He was raised in Mt. Lebanon Lodge on March 20th, 1865, and was Worshipful Master of that Lodge in 1875 and 1876.

He received the Royal Arch Degree in St. Andrew's Chapter on May 29th, 1867, and was its High Priest in 1886 and 1887. He was District Deputy Grand High Priest in 1893 and 1894, and Grand High Priest in 1899, 1900, and 1901. He received the Super Excellent Degree in Boston Council in 1868 and was Knighted in Boston Commandery on January 16th, 1889.

In the Scottish Rite he was a member of Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Giles F. Yates Council, Princes of Jerusalem, Mt. Olivet Chapter of Rose Croix, and Massachusetts Consistory.

Brother Ellis was born in the town of Bourne on October 22, 1838. He came to Boston when he was seventeen years of age and worked a short time as a surveyor. In 1856 he entered upon a mercantile career and for nearly twenty years he was the representative of a New York importing house, Iater becoming the Manager of the Franklin Educationai Company.

The work in which he spent his latest years and in which he found a field for the exereise of the literary instinct which was his and the expression of the high concept of Masonry which he entertained, was in the publishing of the New England Craftsman, and the editorials which came from his pen and the valuable matter pertaining to the Craft to which he gave publicity were valuable contributions to the promotion of Freemasonry.

We shall miss him from his accustomed place and to full many of us his going is the loss of a dearly beloved personal friend, the embodiment of honor, always kindly and true, just and considerate.

His life was clean and he was deeply religious. His home was ideal and his friends were legion. The memory of our Brother is blessed and he goes to his grave in a ripe old age as a shock of corn that is ready for the harvest, and in the celestial Lodge on high, received we doubt not with the "well done, good and faithful servant," waits our coming in God's appointed time.

ELWELL, ELIAS 1818-1863

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXIII, No. 2, December 1863, Page 62:

Gloucester, Nov. 15, 1863.

The Funeral of Capt. Elias Elwell took place on Wednesday afternoon, (says the Gloucester Adv., Nov. 13,) from his late residence on Washington Street, and was attended by a large concourse of relatives and friends. The officers and members of Tyrian Lodge, of A. F. and A. M , of which the deceased was a member, were also present and performed the funeral rites of the Order at the grave. Capt. Elwell was universally, beloved, and leaves a large circle of friends and relatives who will miss bis smiling countenance and his many deeds of kindness. The Boston Transcript, in speaking of his death, has the following :—

"Captain Elias Elwell, of Gloucester, died in this city yesterday, after a brief but painful illness. The deceased was widely known to the mercantile community, and was universally respected for his intelligence and enterprise, and for the generous manliness of his character. From early boyhood he had followed the seas, and quite early in life was placed in command of a ship. He was a true sailor in the best sense of the term, and although he had visited all parts of the world, and was exposed to every danger incident to a mariner's life, the vessels under his command never met with accident or disaster."

At a special meeting of TyrianLodge of A. F. and A. Masons, held on Tuesday, Nov. 10, A. L. 5S63, the death of Br. Elias Elwell, was officially announced by the W. Master, Bro. A. J. Center, whereupon Bro. John S. Webber submitted the following preamble and resolutions, which, upon motion, were unanimously adopted :—

  • Whereas it has pleased Almighty God, in his wisdom, to remove by death our beloved Brother, Capt. Elias Elwell, therefore be it
  • Resolved, That we, members of Tyrian Lodge of A. F. and A. Masons, tender our heartfelt sympathies to the mother, brothers and sister of the deceased, knowing as we do, that his death has called them to part with one who deservedly held a prominent place in their affections.
  • Resolved, That while his many good qualities endear his memory to us, and should serve as an example for our imitation, we are reminded by his sudden death, that we are ever "walking in the valley of shadow," and are taught the useful lesson, "That in the midst of life we are in death."
  • Resolved, That Bros. N. Proctor, Sargent S. Day and David Plumer present a copy of each of these Resolutions to the mother, brothers and sister of the deceased, under seal of this Lodge, signed by the Master, Wardens and Secretary, and that they be entered in full upon the Records in the usual form.

On motion of Bro. Wm. H. Ware,

  • Voted, That the Committee named in the foregoing, be instructed to transmit a copy of these Resolutions to the Freemasons' Magazine, with a request for their publication.

Signed, A. J. Center, W. Master.
John Lloyd, S. Warden.
Wm. H. Ware, J. Warden.
Francis Proctor, Secretary.


From New England Craftsman, Vol. I, No. 8, June 1906, Page 290:

Brother George R. Emerson died in Boston, April 20.

He was for many years assistant treasurer of the Massachusetts Charitable Mechanic Association. Superintendent Esterbrook of Mechanics' Building noticed that Mr. Emerson was not looking well, and remarked of the fact to him, whereupon he said that he was not feeling very well. Before a doctor could be sent for he passed away.

He lived at 471 Warren Street, Roxbury, and was formerly a member of the old firm of Baldwin & Emery, contractors. He was also a past eminent commander of Joseph Warren Lodge of Masons. This is probably Joseph Warren Commandery; Brother Emerson was a member of The Massachusetts Lodge.


From Proceedings, Page 1915-90:

R. WOR. EUGENE F. ENDICOTT was born in Chelsea, Mass., October 14, 1848, and passed away December 10, 1914.

He passed his entire life in Chelsea; attended the public schools and early showed those sterling principles that guided his whole life. As a boy he was of a quiet disposition and considerate of all his associates. As a man he was rigid in his integrity, devoted to the welfare of his fellowmen; upright in every position; faithful to every trust, and conscientious in the discharge of every duty. He served. his native city in all branehes of the city government. He served as Mayor of Chelsea, afterwards was elected to the State Legislature, and finally served twenty-four years on the School Committee, sixteen years as its Chairman.

Brother Endicott was Worshipful Master of Star of Bethlehem Lodge, of Chelsea, in 1880 and 1881, and was District Deputy Grand Master of the Third Masonic District in 1902 and 1903.

In all positions he showed marked ability and served with a sincere desire to give his best services for his fellowmen. The right way was the best way and was his way. He was universally respected and loved. and his passing away was a great loss to us all.



From New England Freemason, Vol. I, No. 6, June 1874, p. 283:

Another Veteran Mason Gone. Colonel James Estabrook, of Worcester, died at his residence on Lagrange street, in that city, on Saturday, May 16, 1871, at the age of nearly 78 years, having been born in Holden, September 4th, 1796. He settled in Worcester in April, 1829, and established himself in the grocery business, in company with General Nathan Heard. Subsequently he was in business in Boston two or three years, when he returned to Worcester and opened a store which he kept several years; afterwards, for many years, holding a position in the Boston custom house. In 1851 and 1852 he was sheriff of the county, by appointment of Governor Boutwell, succeeding the late Colonel John W. Lincoln; but the return of the Whigs to power in 1853, gave the office to his successor, Colonel George W. Richardson. He was a member of the first board of aldermen of Worcester in 1848-9, presi dent of the common council in 1854, and assistant chief engineer of the lire department of the town in 1840. His politics as a Democrat stood in the way of his holdiug many other official positions at the hands of his fellow-townsmen, who held in high appreciation his personal and business integrity and ability, lie was for many years a member of the Old South Church, but for several years past had been a member of the Union Church, in Worcester.

Brother Estabrook was one of the oldest Masons in this section, having received the Lodge degrees in 1818; a Mason for a period of 56 years. He subsequently received the Chapter degrees in Thomas R. A. Chapter, then located at Princeton, and the Orders of Knighthood in Greenwich Village Encampment in 1824.

When Worcester County Commandery was formed, he became a Charter member, and was its first Eminent Commander. In the organization of this Body, nearly fifty years ago, at Abbott's Hotel in Colonel Estabrook's native town of Holden, which was for many years thereafter the headquarters of this Masonic organization in the county, he occupied a most conspicuous part. He was the last surviving officer but two of the first Board of Officers installed at the original institution of the Worcester County Commandery, forty-nine years ago. When the exercises of installation took place, June 25, 1825, at Major Chenery Abbott's Hotel, Colonel Estabrook, as E. 0., presided at the public dinner which took place upon the common in front of the hotel in the afternoon, with Isaiah Thomas, a noted antiquary and P. G. M. of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, upon his right, as the most distinguished guest of the occasion. As a memento of so celebrated an event, and considering the few survivors now left as witnesses of the exercises, we give the follow ing list of officers then installed :

Eminent Commander, Col. James Estabrook; Generalissimo, Dr. George Estabrook, of Rutland; Captain General, Col. Merrill Davis, of Holden; Chaplain, Rev. Benjamin Wood, of Upton; Senior Warden, Samuel Stratton, of Holden; Junior Warden, Major Thomas Harbach, of Sutton; Treasurer, Major Daniel Tenney, of Sutton; Recorder, Dr. David Davis, of Holden; Standard Bearer, Lewis Thayer, of Worcester; Sword Bearer, John Whitney, of Princeton ; Warder, Dea. Wm. C. Capron, of Uxbridge.

Of this list of well-known citizens and distinguished Masons of the county, only the venerable Dea. Wm. Capron, of Uxbridge, Mass., and Samuel Stratton, now of Elkhart, Indiana, survive. These officers were installed by the Grand Master of the Grand Encamp ment of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, Henry Fowle, of Boston. Col. Estabrook held the office of Commander for a period of nine years, viz: 1825-6-7, '31-2-3, '43-4 '49 and '54. In 1871, he was elected an Honorary Member of the Body over which he had so ably presided and faithfully served.

On the resuscitation of Worcester R. A. Chapter in 1846, he was one of the petitioners, and a Charter Member, and held the office of Scribe for the years 1846 and 1847.

Brother Estabrook, although not active in Masonry for several years past, was ever loyal to its principles, and proud of his connection therewith. His funeral took place on the 19th ultimo, and was largely attended by his friends and townsmen.


Note that GL membership card erroneously lists year of death as 1895.

From New England Craftsman, Vol. I, No. 4, January 1906, Page 144:

Brother William Alfred Estes, one of Lynn's shoe manufacturers, died Nov. 27. Mr. Estes was born in Lynn fifty-two years ago, and was a graduate of the Lynn High School. He then took up the trade of shoe-making, and has been a manufacturer for many years. He was a thirty-second degree Mason, and one of the oldest members of the Lynn Yacht Club.

ESTEY, CHARLES A. 1850-1916

From the collection of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts

R.W. Charles A. Estey was born October 3, 1850, at Frederickton, New Brunswick, and died in Boston, April 21, 1916. His boyhood was spent in his native town, but at the age of fifteen years he came to Boston and found employment. Not long after he moved to Leominster and engaged in business for himself. Later he removed to Orange. In 1874 he returned to East Boston and received an appointment in the ferry department of this city. Through his fidelity and faithful discharge of his various duties he was repeatedly promoted until he attained the position of clerk and cashier of the department, positions he held at the time of his death.

R.W. Brother Estey received the Masonic Degrees in Orange Lodge, of Orange, Mass., in 873, and became a member thereof June 9, 1873. He dimitted October 11, 1880 and joined Mount Tabor Lodge of East Boston, November 18, 1880. He held various positions in Mount Tabor Lodge and was its Master in 1907 and 1908. He was District Deputy Grand Master of the Third Masonic District in 1912 and 1913.

Brother Estey received the Capitular Degrees in St. John's Royal Arch Chapter, of East Boston, and was a life member of St. Andrew's Royal Arch Chapter, of Boston. He received the Cryptic Degrees in East Boston Council Royal and Select Masters and the Temple Orders in William Parkman Commandery, of East Boston, of which he was a Past Commander. He received the Degrees of the Scottish Rite in the various Bodies in Boston and was created a Sovereign Grand Inspector-General September 18, 1906.

The sudden death of Brother Estey was a great shock to his many friends. In the course of a very few hours he passed from an apparent state of health into that sleep that wakens not. He was of a pleasing, kindly disposition, agreeable in public and private intercourse, faithful in his friendships, and attentive to every duty. He won and retained the respect of the Fraternity and left a memory that will be fondly cherished by all who knew him.


From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XIII, No. 3, January 1854, p. 94:

Lowell, Dec. 21, A. D., 1853.

At a meeting of Pentucket Lodge, held at Masonic Hall, in Lowell, Mass., on Thursday the 15th day of Dec, A. D. 1853, the following memorial and resolutions were unanimously adopted:—

  • Whereas, it has pleased the Almighty Disposer of all events, in his all-wise and mysterious providence, to remove suddenly and unexpectedly from among us our beloved Brother Edward Everett, therefore
  • Resolved, That in the death of our lamented Brother, society has lost a most val uable citizen, and the Fraternity one endeared, by his kind and benevolent disposition, to all who knew him ; and although dead he will ever live in the memories and affections of the Brethren of the Lodge of which he was a member.
  • Resolved, That we deeply sympathize with the family of our deceased Brother, who have been thus suddenly bereft of a kind husband and an indulgent parent.
  • Resolved, That a copy of these resolutions be forwarded to the family of our deceased Brother, and to the editor of the Masonic Magazine, at Boston, for publication.

Isaac Cooper, Secretary, Pentucket Lodge.

EVERETT, J. MASON 1828-1886

From Proceedings, Page 1886-138:

Wor. Brother J. Mason Everett, who died April 2, 1886, was born in the town of Canton, on the sixth day of January, 1828, and was buried with the formalities of our Order, by the Brethren of Blue Hill Lodge, April 4, 1886.

He was a Charter member of Blue Hill Lodge, and its first Worshipful Master, occupying that official position during the years 1864, '65, and '66. He received an appointment as D.D.G.M. of the Thirteenth Masonic District from M.W. Charles C. Dame, December 27, 1867; and was reappointed by M.W. William S. Gardner, December 29, 1868, and December 28, 1869, serving the Grand Lodge with fidelity and ability for the three years. His life record was noble and upright, energetic and successful.

Distinguished Brothers