CharlesHTitus

From MasonicGenealogy
Revision as of 11:59, 2 November 2016 by Hotc1733 (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

CHARLES H. TITUS LODGE

Location: Taunton

Chartered By: Sereno D. Nickerson

Charter Date: 03/12/1873 1873-26

Precedence Date: 03/15/1872

Current Status: in Grand Lodge Vault. Merged along with Ionic (Taunton) into King David Lodge, 06/17/1998


PAST MASTERS

  • T. C. Baker, 1872
  • L. E. Leonard, 1873, 1874
  • W. S. Sprague, 1875, 1876
  • George H. Rhodes, 1877, 1878
  • W. O. Snow, 1879
  • Charles H. Titus, 1880
  • D. D. White, 1881, 1882
  • C. A. Sherman, 1883, 1884
  • C. Hewitt, 1885, 1886
  • H. D. Atwood, 1887, 1888
  • O. P. Allen, 1889, 1890
  • Seth L. Cushman, 1891, 1892; SN
  • J. E. DeBlois, 1893, 1894
  • E. A. Dary, 1895
  • G. G. Parlow, 1896
  • James E. Lewis, 1897, 1898
  • B. B. Pierce, 1899, 1900
  • J. A. Abbott, 1901, 1902
  • W. C. Townsend, 1903, 1904
  • A. E. Hewitt, 1905
  • E. D. Williams, 1906, 1907
  • A. K. Crowell, 1908, 1909
  • Gad Robinson, 1910, 1911; Mem
  • D. H. Glover, 1912
  • F. A. Harmon, 1913, 1914
  • C D. Freeman, 1915, 1916
  • E. L. Crossman, 1917, 1918
  • A. G. Foster, 1919, 1920
  • H. A. Walker, 1921, 1922
  • F. E. Kenyon, 1923, 1924
  • Cyrenius N. Ripley, 1925; N
  • W. A. Bellamy, 1926, 1927
  • A. E. Horton, 1928
  • R. A. Miller, 1929
  • W. Smalley, 1930
  • H. C. Baker, 1931, 1932
  • J. H. Crotty, 1933, 1934
  • A. B. Deane, 1935
  • R. G. Shippee, 1936
  • Osman D. Crotty, 1937
  • A. R. White, 1938
  • A. Thompson, 1939, 1940
  • W. R. Heft, 1941
  • H. H. Dary, 1942
  • W. H. McKenny, 1943
  • J. M. McGregor, 1944
  • R. W. Hastings, 1945
  • F. H. Hackett, 1946
  • E. W. Brune, 1947
  • R. F. Hackett, 1948
  • Winthrop L. Baker, 1949; SN
  • F. A. David, 1950
  • E. P. Fitzpatrick, 1951
  • W. B. Tillson, 1952
  • Edwin L. Ingalls, 1953
  • Edward A. Litchfield, 1954
  • W. L. Winch, 1955
  • William C. Nickerson, 1956
  • Charles H. Graham, 1957
  • Francis K. Palmer, 1958
  • R. L. Adams, 1959
  • G. C. Hart, 1960
  • Daniel J. Morehouse, 1961
  • James C. Pilling, 1962; N
  • Hiram G. Jones, 1963
  • Stanley E. Sunbury, 1964
  • Bruce B. Blake, 1965
  • W. G. Jones, 1966
  • Richard W. Phillips, 1967, 1979; N
  • A. Adams, 1968
  • Raymond H. King, 1969
  • George M. Rubadou, 1970
  • Albert Kay, 1971
  • George J. Travers, 1972
  • Manuel Cabral, 1973
  • J. W. Sylvia, 1974
  • Albert O. Ratcliffe, Sr., 1975, 1985, 1994
  • L. F. Ridley, 1976
  • Russell A. Jones, 1977
  • Robert H. Hartley, 1978
  • F. B. Dunham, 1979-1981
  • Sergio M. Cardoza, 1982, 1995, 1998; PDDGM
  • Gary J. Hartley, 1983
  • C. Alfred Roux, 1984, 1985
  • G. E. Wilson, 1986, 1989
  • Charles R. Hause, 1987, 1988
  • Joseph S. Mozzone, 1990-1992
  • Stephen A. Perry, 1993
  • Robert E. Girard, Jr., 1996, 1997

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1898 (25th Anniversary)
  • 1923 (50th Anniversary)
  • 1972 (Centenary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1875 1882 1896 1901 1903 1907 1911 1920 1929 1932 1933 1940 1952 1960 1962 1971 1972 1976 1979 1980 1985 1993

HISTORY

  • 1923 (50th Anniversary History, 1923-66; see below)
  • 1972 (Centenary History, 1972-314; see below)

50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1923

From Proceedings, Page 1923-66:

by R. W. Gad Robinson.

Most Worshipful Grand Master, Worshipful Master, and Brethren:

The honor and distinction of submitting a historical resume of the first half century of Charles H. Titus Lodge is my privilege and pleasure.

The traditions and landmarks of Freemasonry necessarily deny that freedom and fullness of narrative common to general and detailed historical review. Yet enough may be transcribed in commemoration of the major events of the Lodge and in the enshrining of the names of those Brethren who have made generous and zealous contribution to its history, to make all this well worth while.

In the collation of my material I have felt free to make generous draft from the historical address of our late eminent Brother, Right Worshipful George H. Rhodes. It is indeed a pity that but a single copy exists of his noteworthy and scholarly address delivered at the twenty-fifth anniversary of this Lodge.

As time runs even a half century is but a brief span in the life of a Lodge. But the first half century, however, does denote the laying of the corner-stone, the building of the foundation walls, and the imposition of that framework upon which the future strength and beauty of the Lodge' must rest. It is my humble prayer that my unadorned story of these early years may serve to guard the memory of the fathers and to chisel into the enduring granite of memory these early epochs which precede the hour of our first semicentennial.

BEGINNINGS

From June 12, 1798, until January, 1866, the exclusive Masonic jurisdiction of Taunton was vested in King David Lodge. In 1864 Taunton was added to the list of the cities of the Commonwealth. Whether this fact stimulated the thought that a city should have more than one Masonic Lodge, or whether it was the interest created by the approaching completion of the new Masonic Temple, I am unable to state.

On January 12, 1866, a dispensation was granted by Most Worshipful Brother Charles C. Dame, Grand Master, to Brother John H. Eddy and thirty-two others, for. the formation of Alfred Baylies Lodge, which Lodge was constituted January 9, 1867.

The date preceding, January 8, Most Worshipful Brother Dame granted a dispensation to Brother James Utley and twenty-seven others for the organization of Ionic Lodge, which Lodge was constituted December 18, 1867. Members of King David Lodge numbered in 1866 two hundred and fifty-seven, and the number of Masons in the State was sixteen thousand.

During the six years following the number of Masons made by the three Lodges in this city was two hundred and ten. This activity was not confined to Taunton alone, but extended very generally throughout the Commonwealth, as the returns to the Grand Lodge for this period show that twelve thousand four hundred and thirty-seven were initiated in the Lodges of this jurisdiction. The officers of the Lodges in this city held frequent meetings of the candidates and a perfection of the lectures and ritual was striven for which before was unknown in this vicinity.

It was at a meeting of this kind that the inquiry was made if another Masonic Lodge could not be organized in Taunton. A meeting resulted, which was held January 2, 1872, at Ionic Hall, Union Block. The only available records do not give the names of the Brethren present, but show that Brother Asaph L. Bliss presided and that Brother Abiathar Doane, Jr. was Secretary.

The following votes were passed:

  • That the new Lodge be called CHARLES H. TITUS LODGE,
  • That the regular communications be held on the second Friday evening of each month,
  • That Brother Charles Lawton act as Treasurer and Brother Abiathar Doane, Jr., as Secretary,
  • That Brothers Asaph L. Bliss, Charles Lawton, and Henry H. Robinson be a committee to present the petition for the Dispensation to the other Lodges of this city for their recommendation.
  • That an assessment of ten dollars be levied upon each of the petitioners.

It was also voted to recommend Brother Timothy C. Baker for Worshipful Master, Brother Lewis E. Leonard for Senior Warden, and Brother Walter S. Sprague for Junior Warden. The first regular communication was held March 15, 1872.

A Dispensation granted by Most Worshipful Grand Master Sereno D. Nickerson was read, authorizing the following named Brethren to perform Masonic work as a Lodge to be known as Charles H. Titus Lodge:

  • Charles Lawton
  • Charles T. Robinson
  • Zacheus Sherman
  • Timothy C. Baker
  • George H. Rhodes
  • Henry I. Tinkham
  • Edwin A. Dary
  • Charles F. Ivers
  • Asaph L. Bliss
  • Herbert E. Tinkham
  • Charles E. Richmond
  • Edwin E. Rogers
  • George M. Hamlin
  • Edward B. Dean
  • Nathan S. Williams
  • James L. Corey
  • Isaac G. Carrier
  • Charles H. Titus
  • Daniel F. Frazier
  • Lorenzo O. Barnard
  • Edward H. Harlow
  • Abiathar Doane, Jr.
  • George H. Allen
  • Walter S. Sprague
  • Lewis E. Leonard
  • Joseph W. Knowles
  • Obed Harlow
  • James H. Stephens
  • Wilson W. Arnold
  • Henry H. Robinson
  • Horatio L. Cushman
  • William M. Cowing

Brother Baker was appointed Worshipful Master, and Brothers Leonard and Sprague, Wardens. The Dispensation was returnable to the Grand Lodge at its Quarterly Communication to be held at Boston on the second Wednesday of March, 1873.

The organization of the Lodge was completed by the appointment of the following officers: Charles Lawton, Treasurer, Abiathar Doane, Jr., Secretary, Charles T. Robinson, Marshal, Rev. George M. Hamlin, Chaplain, George H. Rhodes, Senior Deacon, Edward W. Harlow, Junior Deacon, Joseph W. Knowles, Senior Steward, Charles F. Ivers, Junior Steward, Henry I. Tinkham, Organist, James L. Corey, Sentinel, James H. Stephens, Tyler. A committee consisting of Brothers Zacheus Sherman, Horatio L. Cushman, and Daniel F. Frazier, was appointed to procure a hall for the meetings of the Lodge. Brothers Zacheus Sherman, Charles Lawton, and Nathan S. Williams were appointed a committee to procure the necessary paraphernalia, jewels, and aprons.

1872

At the regular communication held April 12, 1872, twenty-one members were present. Applications for the degrees were received from five petitioners.

A special communication was held April 26, 1872, at which time it was voted to rent, for one year, of King David Lodge, the Masonic Hall at the railroad station. The record of this meeting also shows a donation from Brother Daniel F. Frazier of one hundred dollars.

At the regular meeting, May 10, Cornelius H. Paull and John B. DeBlois were elected to receive their degrees. The entered apprentice degree was conferred for the first time by the officers of this Lodge at a special meeting, held May 17, 1872, Brothers Paull and DeBlois being the candidates.

At a special meeting held June 21, 1872, Brother Adoniram J. Holt received the first degree. At the meeting of Sept. 13, 1872, the third degree was conferred on Brothers Paull and Holt.

Arrangements having been perfected with Ionic Lodge, Charles H. Titus Lodge moved to Ionic Hall, November 1, 1872, and continued to hold its meetings there until removal to Masonic Hall in Skinner's Block.

On the evening of November 1, 1872, the first official visitation was made to Charles H. Titus Lodge.

At the regular meeting held November 8, 1872, a present of a Bible cushion was made to the Lodge by Brother Isaac G. Carrier.

On November 22, a special meeting was held to confer the third degree upon Brother John E. DeBlois.

1873

At the regular meeting in February, 1873, the By-Laws were adopted, and Brothers Sherman, Lawton, and Rhodes were appointed a committee to make the arrangements for the Constitution of the Lodge, should a Charter be granted.

On the afternoon of March 28, 1873, at four o'clock, Charles H. Titus Lodge was Constituted. Present:

  • Most Worshipful Sereno D. Nickerson, Grand Master; Right Worshipful Percival L. Everett, Deputy Grand Master; Right Worshipful William D. Coolidge as Senior Grand Warden; Right Worshipful Joseph K. Baker, Junior Grand Warden; Right Worshipful Charles W. Moore, as Recording Grand Secretary; Right Worshipful Charles H. Titus, as Grand Chaplain; Wor. William H. Chessman, Grand Marshal; Right Worshipful James Utley, District Deputy Grand Master for the Thirteenth Masonic District; Wor. William C. Lovering, Master of Ionic Lodge, as Senior Grand Deacon; Wor. Charles H. Atwood, Past Master of Ionic Lodge, as Junior Grand Deacon; Wor. William Cox, Past Master of King David Lodge, as Senior Grand Steward; Wor. Alfred B. Hodges, Past Master of King David Lodge, as Junior Grand Steward.

Proclamation was made that Charles H. Titus Lodge had been duly registered in the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. The installation of the officers of the new Lodge occurred the same evening, in the presence of a large number of ladies and Brethren. The officers installed were the Brethren appointed at the first meeting, with these exceptions: Right Worshipful Brother Titus in place of Brother Hamlin as Chaplain; Brother Zacheus Sherman in place of Brother Robinson as Marshal, and Brother DeBlois in place of Brother Tinkham as Organist. At the conclusion of the installation, adjournment was had to the concert hall for a banquet. The speakers were Most Worshipful Grand Master Nickerson, Right Worshipful Brother Titus, Wor. Brothers Charles H. Atwood and William C. Lovering of Ionic Lodge, Wor. Brother William E. Wilcox, Master, and Wor. Brother William Cox, Past Master, of King David Lodge, and Right Worshipful James TTtley, Distoict Deputy Grand Master for this Masonic District.

The number of names upon the Dispensation was thirty-two; of these, three, Brothers Charles R. Richmond, George M. Hamlin, and George H. Allen, decided not to take membership. The number of names upon the Charter is thirty, the name of Brother William L. Walker having been added to the list.

The membership of this Lodge was derived as follows: Twenty-two members from King David Lodge; four from Alfred Baylies Lodge; and one each from Lodges located in Worcester, New Bedford, and South Harwich, Mass., and one from a Lodge in New Haven, Connecticut.

The first public appearance of the Lodge was July 8, 1873, to attend the funeral of Dr. Alfred Baylies, who for forty years served as Secretary of King David Lodge.

At the special meeting of September 19, 1873, a present of an hour glass was received from Brother Charles E. Munroe.

On Oct. 10, 1873, was held the first annual meeting of the Lodge. Brother Baker declined re-election, and Brother Lewis E. Leonard was elected Worshipful Master, Walter S. Sprague Senior Warden, and George H. Rhodes Junior Warden. The installation service was under the direction of Right Worshipful Brother Charles H. Titus. A Past Master's jewel was presented to Wor. Brother Baker.

1874

On February 20, 1874, a special meeting of the Lodge was held for instruction in the work and lecture of the third degree. Wor. Brother E. Dana Bancroft, Grand Lecturer, was present.

At the regular meeting May 8, 1874, one hundred copies of the picture of Brother Titus were received, with a request that one be given to each member of the Lodge.

At an annual meeting held Oct. 9, 1874, the officers were re-elected and the installation service rendered by Wor. Brother Timothy C. Baker.

1875

On May 14, 1875, a special meeting was held for the consideration of the formation of a Charity Fund. It was voted that each member of the Lodge be assessed one dollar per annum for the Charity Fund. This forms the basis of the Charity Fund of today.

On October 9, 1875, was held the third annual meeting,— Walter S. Sprague was elected Worshipful Master, George H. Rhodes Senior Warden, and Edward W. Harlow Junior Warden. Installation service was under the direction of Wor. Brother Lewis E. Leonard. At the close of the service, Brother Leonard was presented with a Past Master's jewel.

Brother Abiathar Doane, Jr., who had served the Lodge as Secretary since its organization, declining the re-election, Brother Cornelius H. Paull was elected to the position.

1876

On March 10, 1876, a communication was received from the City Government, granting to the trustees of the Taunton Masonic Lodges two burial lots in Mayflower Hill Cemetery. The deed of the same was received at a later meeting, and appears in full on the record. Brother Zacheus Sherman was appointed a trustee from Charles H. Titus Lodge.

On May 12, 1876, Wor. Brother Timothy C. Baker was appointed a member of a joint committee from King David and Ionic Lodges for the relief of worthy Masons.

At the regular meeting held June 9, 1876, a communication was received from the Citizens' and City Committees, inviting the Lodge to take part in the parade of July 4.

On September 8, 1876, the first dimit was granted to Brother Joseph W. Knowles, a charter member, he having removed his residence to another city.

On October 30, 1876, was held the annual meeting. The Worshipful Master and Senior Warden were re-elected, and Brother Abiathar Doane, Jr., elected Junior Warden. Installation was by Wor. Brother Lewis B. Leonard. On September 14 of the same year an outing was enjoyed by the members of the Lodge and their families at the grove of Brother Wm. L. Walker, at Rocky Woods.

1877

On October 12, 1877, at the annual meeting, George H. Rhodes was elected Worshipful Master, Abiathar Doane, Jr. Senior Warden, and William O. Snow Junior Warden. Installation service was performed by Wor. Brother Sprague, at the close of which he was presented with a Past Master's jewel.

1878

On March 15, 1878, the Lodge accepted an invitation to visit Fellowship Lodge of Bridgewater.

On July 12, 1878, it was voted that a safe be purchased for the proper protection of the books and papers.

On October 11, 1878, at an annual meeting, the officers of the previous year were re-elected, the installation being by Wor. Brother Sprague. It was also voted to have a register of the members prepared and the records of the Lodge kept in duplicate. Brother Seth L. Cushman was elected Secretary.

A special meeting was held December 31, 1878, the Worshipful Master presiding, at which there was a large attendance of the members of King David Lodge and Ionic Lodge, and also St. Mark's Royal Arch Chapter. The occasion of this meeting was the presentation of testimonials to Brother Thomas Crannage of King David Lodge, he having served the Blue Lodges as Tyler for many years. The Worshipful Master, in behalf of King David and Charles H. Titus Lodges, and St. Mark's Royal Arch Chapter, presented Brother Crannage with a gold watch. Wor. Master Arthur D. Atwood, in behalf of Ionic Lodge, presented the Brother with a watch chain, and Wor. Brother Mott, in behalf of some of the members of King David Lodge, presented him with a Keystone.

1879

On March 11, 1879, the custom of presenting each candidate with a lambskin, properly marked, was adopted by the Lodge.

On October 10, 1879, at the annual meeting, Brother Wm. 0. Snow was elected Worshipful Master, Charles H. Titus Senior Warden, and Clifford A. Sherman Junior Warden, and they were installed by the retiring Master and Wor. Brother Baker.

1880

In January, 1880, a committee was appointed with full power to act for the Lodge, in conjunction with committees from the other Lodges, in perfecting arrangements for a more commodious, or less expensive Lodge-room.

The seventh anniversary of the Constitution of the Lodge was celebrated on March 26, 1880, by a supper served at the Lodge-room. Among the guests of the evening were Right Worshipful John B. Thayer, D. D. Grand Marshal of the Nineteenth District, Wor. Brothers Charles H. and Arthur B. Atwood, Past Masters, Wor. Brother Jason H. Hayward, Master of Ionic Lodge, Wor. Brother George S. Soule, Master of King David Lodge, and Brothers Geo. M. Carpenter, Edward S. Jones, and William E. Husband, of St. John's Lodge, of Providence, Rhode Island.

On October 8, 1880, at an annual communication, Charles H. Titus was elected Worshipful Master, Wm. O. Snow Senior Warden, and Damon D. White Junior Warden, the installation service being rendered by Past Masters Snow, Baker, and Rhodes. This was a son of Right Worshipful Charles H. Titus, Grand Secretary from 1871 to his death in 1878, for whom the Lodge was named.

1881

On January 14, 1881, it was voted to move to the Masonic Hall in Skinner's Block, where the meetings of the Lodge have subsequently been held.

The first meeting in the new quarters was the communication held February 11, 1881. Many brethren were present. Brother Edwin A. Tetlow was raised to the sublime degree of a Master Mason.

The eighth anniversary was celebrated on March 25, 1881. A concert was rendered by the Temple Quartette, of Boston, followed by a supper and after-dinner speeches and. enjoyed by a large attendance of members and their families.

On October 14, 1881, at the ninth annual meeting, Damon D. White was elected Worshipful Master, Clifford A. Sherman Senior Warden, and. Edwin W. Harlow Junior Warden, the installation being conducted by Wor. Brothers Titus, Snow, and Sprague.

At the regular meeting in November, Brother Warren S. Leach was passed to the degree of Fellowcraft. Among the guests of the evening were Most Worshipful Samuel Crocker Lawrence, Grand Master, and Right Worshipful Edwin Wright, Deputy Grand Master.

1882

At the annual meeting October 13, 1882, the board of officers were re-elected, installation being conducted by Past Masters Baker and Rhodes.

At the regular meeting November 10, 1882, a contribution was voted to the Yellow Fever Fund.

At a regular meeting December 9, 1882, the third degree was conferred upon Brother Herbert Newton Pierce, the charge being delivered by Wor. Stillman White, Grand Lecturer of the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island.

1883

On the evening of March 30, 1883, the tenth anniversary of the Lodge was celebrated by supper and entertainment.

On October 12, 1883, at the annual meeting, Brother Clifford A. Sherman was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Edw. D. Godfrey Senior Warden, and Brother Henry D. Atwood Junior Warden, the installation being performed by the District Deputy Grand Master for the Twenty-third District, assisted by Wor. Brother Sprague.

1884

On October 19, 1884, Brother Clifford A. Sherman was re-elected Worshipful Master, Brother Henry D. Atwood Senior Warden, and Brother Charles Hewitt Junior Warden. Brother William L. Walker, who had served the Lodge as Treasurer since October, 1873, declined the re-election, and Wor. Brother Damon D. White was elected to that position. The installation of the officers was performed by the District Deputy Grand Master for the Twenty-third Masonic District, with a full suite.

1885

On March 27, 1885, the twelfth anniversary of the Lodge was celebrated by a literary entertainment, followed by refreshments and dancing. The Brethren present, with their ladies, numbered two hundred.

At the annual meeting held October 9, 1885, Brother Charles Hewitt was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Henry D. Atwood Senior Warden, and Brother Albert C.. Rhodes Junior Warden, the installation ceremony being again rendered by the District Deputy Grand Master for the Twenty-third District.

1886

The thirteenth anniversary of the Lodge was celebrated on March 26, 1886, by entertainment at the Lodge-room, at which there was a very large attendance.

At the regular communication held May 14, 1886, the portrait of Wor. Brother William O. Snow was presented to the Lodge.

The annual meeting of this year was held October 8, and the officers re-elected, the installation being performed by Wor. Brother Timothy C. Baker.

On December 10, 1886, the Lodge received the portrait of Wor. Brother Walter S. Sprague.

1887

The District Exemplification for the year 1887 was held April 7, Charles H. Titus Lodge rendering the first degree. The fourteenth anniversary was celebrated on April 8, 1887, by entertainment, supper, and dance.

The fifteenth annual meeting was held October 14, 1887, at which Brother Henry D. Atwood was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Albert C. Rhodes Senior Warden, and Brother Seth L. Cushman Junior Warden. The installation was performed by Wor. Brother Timothy C. Baker.

1888

On March 23, 1888, the Lodge again celebrated its anniversary.

On October 10, 1888, the sixteenth annual meeting, Brother Henry D. Atwood was re-elected Worshipful Master, Brother Otis P. Allen Senior Warden, and Brother Seth L. Cushman Junior Warden, Worshipful Brother Baker again rendering the installation services.

1889

At the District Exemplification held April 4, 1889, the Lodge rendered the second degree.

On the seventeenth annual communication, October 11, 1889 Brother Otis P. Allen was elected Worshipful Mas-ton- Brother Marcello Hutchinson Senior Warden, and Brother Seth L. Cushman Junior Warden, Wor. Brother Baker installing the officers and a jewel being presented the retiring Master, Wor. Brother Atwood.

1890

At the annual communication, November 14, 1890, Wor. Brother Allen was re-installed Master, Brother Seth L. Cushman Senior Warden, and Brother Timothy C. Baker Junior Warden. The installation ceremonies were performed by Eight Worshipful Brother J. Alfred Messinger, District Deputy Grand Master for the Twenty-third District.

1891

At the annual meeting, October 9, 1891, Brother Seth L. Cushman was elected Worshipful Master, Brother George Grant Leonard Senior Warden, and Wor. Brother Henry D. Atwood Junior Warden.

On the regular meeting of November 11, these officers were installed by Right Worshipful J. Alfred Messinger, with the assistance of the Worshipful Brethren who had composed his suite at his official visitations. He was accompanied by many members of the Past Masters Association of this city, whose presence added much interest to the exercises of the evening. Wor. Brother Allen was made the recipient of a Past Master's jewel.

1892

At the June meeting, 1892, a register of the members was presented to the Lodge. This register contains the full record of all the Masonic degrees received by the members of this Lodge.

On June 30, 1892, by invitation of the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Charles H. Titus Lodge was present at the ceremony of laying the corner-stone of the County Court House in Taunton. This was a festal day for the Masons of Taunton. The several Lodges located in the County of Bristol were largely represented, and the escort furnished by Sutton Commandery of Knights Templars, of New Bedford, and the Knights Templars resident in Taunton and vicinity.

The twentieth annual communication occurred on October 14, 1892, Wor. Brother Seth L. Cushman being reelected Worshipful Master. Brother Leonard having removed from the city, Brother John E. DeBlois was elected Senior Warden, and Brother H. N. Pierce Junior Warden. These Brothers were installed on the evening of October 21, the Past Masters of the Association being present, and the service was again rendered by Right Worshipful Brother Messinger.

1893

On April 14, 1893, a committee was appointed to procure new officers' regalia, the expense of which was largely met by a generous contribution from the membership.

At the twenty-first annual communication, October 13, 1893, Brother John E. DeBlois was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Edwin A. Dary Senior Warden, and Brother H. N. Pierce Junior Warden. These Brothers were installed by the retiring Master, Wor. Brother Cushman.

At the following regular meeting, November 10, 1893, Brother Cushman was presented with a Past Master's jewel, worthily bestowed, Brother Cushman having served the Lodge in official capacity for sixteen years, during nine of which he ably filled the office of Secretary. During these nine years Charles H. Titus Lodge held one hundred and forty-five meetings and Brother Cushman was present at every meeting.

1894

At the next annual communication, October 12, 1894, the officers were re-elected, and installed by Worshipful Brother Cushman.

1895

At the regular meeting of April 12, 1895, the Lodge was honored by the presence of Most Worshipful Edwin B. Holmes, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, who addressed the Brethren on Masonic subjects. A social hour followed and every Brother was personally presented to the Grand Master, a banquet closing the exercises of the evening.

At this meeting an invitation was received from King Solomon Lodge, of Charlestown, Mass., to participate in the celebration of June 17, that day being the anniversary of the dedication of the first Bunker Hill Monument.

The next annual meeting was held October 11, 1895. Brother Edwin A. Dary was elected Worshipful Master, Brother George E. Parlow Senior Warden, and Brother Herbert N. Pierce Junior Warden, the installation ceremonies being performed by Wor. Brother John E. DeBlois.

On November 8, 1895, Wor. Brother Charles Hewitt, by invitation of the Worshipful Master, assumed the East and worked the third degree in full on his son, Bro. Allston E. Hewitt.

1896

At a special meeting, January 24, 1896, a Past Master's jewel was presented to Wor. Brother DeBlois. By vote of the Lodge, this jewel was adopted as a model for all future presentations.

At the regular meeting held June 12, 1896, the Bylaws of the Lodge were amended, raising the limit of membership to one hundred and twenty-five.

On October 9, 1896, at the annual meeting, Brother George B. Parlow was elected Worshipful Master, Brother James E. Lewis Senior Warden, and Brother Herbert N. Pierce Junior Warden. These Brothers were installed November 13, 1896, and on the same evening Wor. Brother Dary was presented a Past Master's jewel.

1897

A special meeting of the Lodge was held June 14, 1897, for the purpose of attending the centennial celebration of Bristol Lodge, North Attleboro.

On October 9, 1897, at the annual meeting, Brother James E. Lewis was elected Worshipful Master, Brother "Benjamin B. Pierce Senior Warden, and Brother Herbert N. Pierce Junior Warden. These Brothers were installed by Wor. Brothers DeBlois and Rhodes.

At the regular meeting of November 12, 1897, the regulation jewel was presented to Wor. Brother Parlow. On December 10, 1897, Wor. Brothers Rhodes, Baker, Hewitt, Cushman, and DeBlois were appointed a committee to arrange for the celebration of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Constitution of the Lodge.

Up to the time of the twenty-fifth anniversary, the Lodge had held four hundred and sixty-seven meetings: while under Dispensation, twenty-three; since the date of Constitution, two hundred and seventy-two regular, and one hundred and seventy-two special. The Charter list was thirty, to which had been added one hundred and seven, making a total of one hundred and thirty-seven. The loss by death had been fifteen, by dimit six, and by forfeiture of membership eleven; total thirty-two, leaving the membership one hundred and five.

1898

March 28, 1898, the Lodge observed its twenty-fifth anniversary, Worshipful Brother James E. Lewis presiding. Sixty-eight members out of a total of one hundred and five were present. The visitors included the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Charles C. Hutchinson, and Right Worshipful Sereno D. Nickerson, Grand Secretary and Past Grand Master, who granted the Dispensation to Charles H. Titus Lodge. The Lodge opened at seven p.m. and prayer was offered by Rev. Brother John P. Forbes of Ionic Lodge. Supper was served, addresses were made by the Worshipful Master, the Most Worshipful Grand Master, and the Grand Secretary; the historical address was by the Right Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes, and there was an original poem by Worshipful Brother Henry D. Atwood. The Lodge closed at nine forty-five p.m. There were ten of the fourteen affiliated charter members present.

June 15, 1898, a special communication under Dispensation of the Grand Lodge was held for the purpose of assisting in the centennial anniversary of King David Lodge. Twenty-five of our members attended. October 14, 1898, a regular and annual communication, Worshipful Brother James E. Lewis was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Benjamin B. Pierce Senior Warden, Brother Herbert N. Pierce Junior Warden, and they were subsequently installed at a special communication November 11, 1898, by Right Worshipful Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Right Worshipful George H. Rhodes. A special communication November 4, 1898, witnessed the official visitation of Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Right Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes as Grand Marshal. At a special communication December 30, 1898, Brother Silas Dean Presbrey, of Ionic Lodge, gave an address on his travels in the Island of Malta and Jerusalem and presented the Lodge with a wooden gavel given him by the Royal Solomon Mother Lodge at Jerusalem.

1899

On October 13, 1899, at the regular and annual communication Brother Benjamin B. Pierce was elected Worshipful Master, Brother John A. Abbott Senior Warden, Brother Herbert N. Pierce Junior Warden, and they were installed on the same evening by Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Right Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes.

On November 17, 1899, Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman made his second official visitation to the Lodge. He was accompanied by Worshipful Brother James B. Lewis as Grand Marshal.

1900

On April 13, 1900, on motion of Worshipful Brother James B. Lewis, a committee from this Lodge was given full power to act in leasing the second, third, and fourth floors of Skinner's Block for Masonic purposes in conjunction with King David Lodge, Ionic Lodge, and St. Mark's Chapter, the Lodges to constitute the Masonic Corporation. On April 27, 1900, Worshipful Brother Lewis Emerson Leonard deceased. Worshipful Brother Leonard was a charter member of Charles H. Titus Lodge and its second Worshipful Master.

At the regular communication September 14, 1900, the Lodge was advised of the formation of the Taunton Masonic Corporation. Charles H. Titus Lodge was again represented on the Board by Eight Worshipful George H. Rhodes as its treasurer.

At the regular and annual communication October 12, 1900, Worshipful Brother Benjamin B. Pierce was reelected Worshipful Master, Brother John A. Abbott Senior Warden, Brother Herbert N. Pierce Junior Warden, and they were installed into their respective stations by Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Right Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes.

November 16, 1900, witnessed an official visitation by Right Worshipful Brother George E. Wilbur, Worshipful Brother Allen P. Hoard acting as Grand Marshal.

1901

Right Worshipful Brother Wilbur again paid an official visitation to Charles H. Titus Lodge on September 20, 1901. October 11, 1901, at a regular and annual communication Brother John A. Abbott was elected Worshipful Master, Brother William C. Townsend Senior Warden, Brother Herbert N. Pierce Junior Warden. On November 8, 1901, they were installed by Worshipful Brother Benjamin B. Pierce, assisted by Worshipful Brother James B. Lewis.

A regular communication September 12, 1902, witnessed an official visitation by Eight Worshipful Brother Daniel H. Smith, assisted by Worshipful Brother Alfred R. Crosby as Grand Marshal.

1902

October 10, 1902, at a regular and annual communication Worshipful Brother John A. Abbott was re-elected Worshipful Master, Worshipful Brother William C. Townsend Senior Warden, and Brother Allston B. Hewitt Junior Warden.

They were installed at the regular communication November 14, 1902, by Worshipful Brother James E. Lewis, assisted by Worshipful Brother Benjamin B. Pierce. This evening marked the voluntary discontinuance of service in the South of Brother Herbert N. Pierce, who for ten years had yielded regular and zealous service to Charles H. Titus Lodge, and while the Lodge was unanimous in its desire to have him occupy the Oriental Chair, its members felt compelled to yield to his expressed desire for retirement. The appreciation of his service through appropriate resolution appears on the records of the Lodge of this same meeting night.

1903

A special communication January 30, 1903, was observed as a Past Master's night, the following officers officiating: Worshipful Brother Timothy C. Baker, Worshipful Master occupying the Bast; Brother Otis P. Allen, Junior Warden; Right Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes, Senior Deacon; Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, Junior Deacon; Worshipful Brother Charles Hewitt, Secretary; Worshipful Brother Damon D. White, Treasurer; Worshipful Brother James B. Lewis, Marshal; Worshipful Brother John E. DeBlois, Organist. After which refreshments were served "in ye manner of ye olden times," baked beans, brown bread, and pumpkin pie.

On October 2, 1903, at a special communication, was the official visitation of Right Worshipful Brother Edward Mott. Worshipful Brother Daniel L. Brownell serving as Marshal. Right Worshipful Brother Mott made his second official visitation to Charles H. Titus Lodge on October 7, 1904.

On October 9, 1903, at a regular and annual communication, Brother William C. Townsend was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Allston E. Hewitt Senior Warden, Brother Simeon A. Wheeler Junior Warden, and they were installed November 13, 1903, by Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Right Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes.

1904

October 14, 1904, Worshipful Brother William C. Town-send was reelected Worshipful Master, Brother Allston E. Hewitt Senior Warden, Brother Simeon A. Wheeler Junior Warden, and they were installed on the same evening by Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Right Worshipful Brother George II. Rhodes.

1905

On October 1, 1905, W. Brother John Edward DeBlois deceased. Worshipful Brother DeBlois was one of the first two initiates of the Lodge and from the inception of his membership was actively identified with the history of the Lodge. He will long be remembered for his geniality and uniform courtesy and for that uprightness of conduct which becomes and distinguishes the Craft.

On October 6, 1905, occurred the official visitation of Right Worshipful Brother Jason H. Hayward, Worshipful Brother Herbert A. Morton serving as Grand Marshal.

On October 13,1905, at a regular and annual communication Brother AUston E. Hewitt was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Enos D. Williams Senior Warden, Brother Benjamin W. Baker Junior Warden. They were installed the same evening by Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Right Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes.

1906

On August 9, 1906, Worshipful Brother Edwin Adelbert Dary deceased. He was a charter member and the fourteenth Worshipful Master of Charles H. Titus Lodge. Worshipful Brother Dary was a well-known and highly esteemed member of the community and equally beloved and esteemed by the Craft. He is survived by his son, also a member of Charles H. Titus Lodge.

On October 12, 1906, at a regular and annual communication Brother Enos D. Williams was elected Worshipful Master Brother Alonzo K. Crowell Senior Warden, and Worshipful Brother Allston E. Hewitt Junior Warden. They were installed on the evening of November 9,1906, by Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Right Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes.

At a special communication October 19, 1906, Right Worshipful Brother Jason H. Hayward made his second official visitation to Charles PI. Titus Lodge with Worshipful Brother Herbert A. Morton as Grand Marshal.

1907

At a special communication June 7, 1907, St. James Lodge, of Mansfield, paid us a fraternal visit, their officers occupying the chairs and performing the work of the first section of the Master Mason degree, Worshipful Brother Janes occupying the East and Worshipful Brother Cope-land delivering the charge.

At the regular communication October 11, 1907, Worshipful Brother Enos D. Williams was re-elected Worshipful Master, Brother Alonzo K. Crowell Senior Warden, Brother Benjamin W. Baker Junior Warden. They were installed November 1, 1907, by Worshipful Brother Frederic L. Putnam, Grand Lecturer of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, assisted by Worshipful Brother Charles Shutz.

On October 18,1907, at a special communication occurred the official visitation of Right Worshipful Brother Edward C. Martin, Worshipful Brother Alfred R. Crosby officiating as Grand Marshal.

1908

Right Worshipful Brother Martin made his second official visitation to the Lodge October 2, 1908.

On October 9, 1908, at a regular and annual communication, Brother Alonzo K. Crowell was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Benjamin W. Baker Senior Warden, Brother Gad Robinson Junior Warden, and they were installed at a special communication on October 30, 1908, by Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Right Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes.

1909

October 8, 1909, W. Brother Alonzo K. Crowell was reelected Worshipful Master, Brother Gad Robinson was elected Senior Warden, and Brother David H. Glover Junior Warden. They were installed on the same evening by Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Right Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes.

On October 15, 1909, at a special communication Right Worshipful Brother George A. Cox made his official visitation, accompanied by Worshipful Brother Ichabod Thomas as Grand Marshal.

November 5, 1909, our Lodge was honored by a visit from the Most Worshipful Grand Master Dana J. Flanders, accompanied by Right Worshipful Brother William H. Emerson, Worshipful Brother C. T. C. Whitman, and Worshipful Brother Harry T. Ballard. The special occasion of the visit of the distinguished Brothers was the creation of a Masonic Home, since happily established and delightfully located in the town of Charlton. A representation of the other local Lodges was present upon invitation.

1910

On October 7, 1910, at a special communication occurred the second official visitation of Right Worshipful Brother George A. Cox, accompanied by Worshipful Brother Ichabod Thomas as Grand Marshal.

On October 14, 1910, at a regular and annual communication, Brother Gad Robinson was elected. Worshipful Master, Brother David H. Glover Senior Warden, Brother Fred A. Harmon Junior Warden, and they were installed November 18, 1910, at a special communication and a public installation, Worshipful Brother Frederic L. Putnam, Grand Lecturer of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts officiating, assisted by Worshipful Brother Alvin L. Pease. A dinner and other social festivities followed.

1911

February 17, 1911, at a special communication, the officers of Charles H. Titus Lodge resigned their stations to the following brethren, who in full dress military uniform conferred the Master Mason degree on Capt. William H. Burt of the United States Army; Worshipful Master, Worshipful Brother Alonzo K. Crowell; Senior Warden, Worshipful Brother Olin D. Dickerman; Senior Deacon, Brother John A. Stitt; Junior Deacon, Worshipful Brother Edwin G. Hopkins; Senior Steward, Brother William Stitt; Junior Steward, Brother F. A. D. Bullard; Chaplain, Brother James H. Blackburn; Marshal, Worshipful Brother James E. Totten. They were assisted by Brother Harry F. Skinner, Brother Herbert C. Lombard, and Brother Norris O. Danforth at the South, West, and East.

On September 8, 1911, occurred the official visitation of Right Worshipful Edward H. Temple, Worshipful Brother Edwin N. Clark officiating as Grand Marshal.

On October 13, 1911, at a regular and annual communication, Worshipful Brother Gad Robinson was re-elected Worshipful Master; Brother David H. Glover Senior Warden, Brother Fred A. Harmon Junior Warden, and they were installed at the same communication by Worshipful Brother Enos D. Williams, assisted by Eight Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes.

1912

October 11, 1912, at the regular and annual communication Brother David H. Glover was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Fred A. Harmon Senior Warden, Brother Carlos D. Freeman Junior Warden. They were subsequently installed by Worshipful Brother James E. Lewis, assisted by Worshipful Brother Benjamin B. Pierce, on the evening of November 8. At the same meeting, Right Worshipful Brother Edward H. Temple made his second visitation to Charles H. Titus Lodge.

December 25, 1912, at Natick, Mass., Worshipful Brother Damon Davis White deceased. Worshipful Brother White was the seventh Worshipful Master of Charles H. Titus Lodge. He was buried with Masonic honors at Keene, N. IL, December 28, 1912.

1913

On January 17, 1913, Brother Wilson William Arnold, a Charter member, deceased. Brother Arnold was buried with Masonic honors at Mount Pleasant Cemetery, January 20, 1913.

At the regular and annual communication October 10, 1913, Brother Fred A. Harmon was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Carlos D. Freeman Senior Warden, Brother Edgar L. Grossman Junior Warden. They were installed November 14, 1913, by Right Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes, assisted by Worshipful Brother Benjamin B. Pierce as Marshal.

A special communication October 24, 1913, witnessed the official visitation of Right Worshipful Brother William H. Allen with Worshipful Brother Albert A. Grover as Grand Marshal. Right Worshipful Brother Allen made his second official visitation on September 11, 1914.

1914

April 16, 1914, marked the passing of another charter member, Brother William Leonard Walker, for eleven years Treasurer of Charles H. Titus Lodge. In times of financial stress not uncommon to many Lodges in the early period of their existence, Brother Walker's purse was ever at the disposal of his Lodge, and his ready and generous assistance will long be remembered by every Brother who was then identified with Charles H. Titus Lodge.

On June 5, 1914, at a special communication the Master Mason degree was conferred by the following Past Masters: Worshipful Brother Charles Hewitt, Worshipful Master; Worshipful Brother Benjamin B. Pierce, Senior Warden; Worshipful Brother Enos D. Williams, Junior Warden; Worshipful Brother Timothy C. Baker, Treasurer; Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, Secretary; Worshipful Brother Allston E. Hewitt, Senior Deacon; Worshipful Brother Alonzo K. Crowell, Junior Deacon; Worshipful Brother John A. Abbott, Senior Steward; Worshipful Brother David A. Glover, Junior Steward; Worshipful Brother James E. Lewis, Marshal; Right Worshipful Brother George PI. Rhodes, Sentinel. The charge was delivered by Reverend Brother J. Ralph Magee.

At the regular and annual communication October 9, 1914, Worshipful Brother Fred A. Harmon was reelected Worshipful Master, Brother Carlos D. Freeman Senior Warden, Brother Edgar L. Crossman Junior Warden, and they were installed that same evening by Worshipful Brother James E. Lewis, assisted by Worshipful Brother Benjamin B. Pierce.

1915

On September 10, 1915, Right Worshipful Brother Herbert A. Morton paid an official visitation to Charles H. Titus Lodge with Worshipful Brother Edwin N. Clark as Grand Marshal. Right Worshipful Brother Morton made his second official visitation on September 29, 1916.

October 8, 1915, at the regular and annual communication, Brother Carlos D. Freeman was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Edgar L. Crossman Senior Warden, Brother Albert G. Foster Junior Warden. They were subsequently installed October 22, 1915, by Right Worshipful Brother Herbert A. Morton, assisted by Worshipful Brother Edwin N. Clark as Grand Marshal.

1916

March 29, 1916, Worshipful Brother John A. Abbott deceased at Cambridge, Mass., and was buried at Portsmouth, R. I., March 31 with regular Masonic honors. During the entire period of his residence in Taunton no Brother was more identified with the welfare of Charles H. Titus Lodge than Worshipful Brother Abbott, and his geniality and good fellowship will never cease to be remembered by his associates in the Craft.

On October 13, 1916, at a regular and annual communication, Worshipful Brother Carlos D. Freeman was reelected Worshipful Master, Brother Edgar L. Crossman Senior Warden, Brother Albert G. Foster Junior Warden. They were installed on the same evening by Worshipful Brother James B. Lewis, assisted by Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman.

On October 19, 1916, Right Worshipful Brother George Holbrook Rhodes deceased at Poland Springs, Maine. Aside from the one whose name our Lodge bears no Brother was more distinguished in the science and art of Masonry than Brother Rhodes. In his day and generation Brother Rhodes was Taunton's most eminent Mason, nor was his fame in the Craft determined by the limits of our municipality. Among Masons of eminence in our commonwealth and in the neighboring jurisdiction of Rhode Island Brother Rhodes was well and favorably known. Brother Rhodes was a scholar of Masonry, well versed in its science, respected, beloved, and revered by the Fraternity. Nor was he less respected and revered by the community outside the pale of the Craft. The dignity of his bearing, the mastery of his knowledge of things Masonic, ever lent becoming color to his every appearance on any Masonic occasion. One may not recite the story of Charles H. Titus Lodge without a record of the distinguished and honorable activities of Right Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes, honored by Charles H. Titus Lodge, honored by the Grand Lodge of the State of Massachusetts, honored by the Sir Knights of that oldest of all Commanderies, St. John No. 1, of Providence, Rhode Island, and a Sovereign Grand Inspector General of the Northern Jurisdiction of the Scottish Rite.

1917

On June 24, 1917, at a special communication under Dispensation of the Grand Lodge, Charles PI. Titus Lodge jointly with King David and Ionic Lodges attended in a body St. Thomas Episcopal Church. The occasion was the observance of St. John's day and of the bi-centennial of the Grand Lodge of England, our Mother Grand Lodge. The Rev. Malcolm Taylor arranged a special service for the occasion.

On October 5, 1917, Right Worshipful Brother George R. Ellis made an official visitation to Charles H. Titus Lodge with Brother Fred H. Richards as Grand Marshal. Right Worshipful Brother Ellis made a second official visitation on November 8, 1918.

On October 12,1917, at the regular and annual communication Brother Edgar L. Crossman was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Albert G. Foster Senior Warden, Brother Harold A. Walker Junior Warden. Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Worshipful Brother James E. Lewis, performed the installation service on the same evening.

1918

On November 15, 1918, was held the postponed regular and annual communication. (The meeting was postponed on account of the wartime heating and lighting restrictions.) Worshipful Brother Edgar L. Crossman was re-elected Worshipful Master, Brother Albert G. Foster Senior Warden, Brother Harold A. Walker Junior Warden. They were installed the same evening by Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Brother B. Percy Minchew.

1919

On June 22, 1919, the Lodge attended divine worship at the First Congregational Church, Unitarian, at the invitation of the Pastor, Reverend Brother F. Raymond Sturtevant.

On September 12, 1919, at the regular communication, Right Worshipful Brother Ralph C. Estes made an official visitation with Worshipful Brother Howard E. White as Grand Marshal. Right Worshipful Brother Estes paid a second official visit on October 22, 1920.

On October 10, 1919, Brother Albert G. Foster was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Harold A. Walker Senior Warden, Brother Fred Kenyon Junior Warden. They were installed on the same evening by Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Worshipful Brother James E. Lewis.

1920

On October 8, 1920, at a regular and annual communication Worshipful Brother Albert G. Foster was re-elected Worshipful Master, Brother Harold A. Walker Senior Warden, Brother Fred Kenyon Junior Warden. They were installed by Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Worshipful Brother Enos D. Williams.

On January 17, 1920, Worshipful Brother Clifford Andrew Sherman, the eighth Worshipful Master of Charles H. Titus Lodge, deceased at Jamaica Plain, Mass. He was buried at Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Taunton, on January 20, 1920.

1921

On September 30, 1921, occurred the official visitation of Right Worshipful Brother Arthur C. Staples, assisted by Worshipful Robert J. McKechnie as Grand Marshal.

On October 14, 1921, at a regular and annual communication Brother Harold A. Walker was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Fred Kenyon Senior Warden, Brother Howard C. N. Ripley Junior Warden. They were installed on the same evening by Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Worshipful Brother Bnos D. Williams.

On November 29, 1921, Worshipful Brother Henry Dean Atwood, the tenth Worshipful Master of Charles H. Titus Lodge, deceased. Brother Atwood was actively concerned in Masonic matters and his genius for verse not infrequently graced both Masonic and civic occasions. He contributed the poem read at the silver anniversary of Charles H. Titus Lodge.

On December 3, 1921, in Raynham, Mass., Worshipful Brother Charles Hewitt deceased. Worshipful Brother Hewitt was our ninth Worshipful Master, and until declining years he was much interested in Lodge activities.

1922

At the regular communication January 13, 1922, the Lodge was honored by the presence of Right Worshipful Brother Winfield S. Solomon, of the neighboring Grand Jurisdiction of Rhode Island, an organizer of Overseas Lodge at Coblenz, Germany. He told the Lodge the story of the formation of this Masonic Lodge during the World War.

At a special communication April 7, 1922, the entered apprentice degree was worked by the officers of Alfred Baylies Lodge, Worshipful Brother Edwin H. Owens, occupying the East.

On May 5, 1922, at a special communication Past Masters' night was observed, the following Past Masters of Charles H. Titus Lodge conferring the Master Mason degree: Worshipful Brother Gad Robinson, Worshipful Master; Worshipful Brother Enos D. Williams, Senior Warden; Worshipful Brother Fred A. Harmon, Junior Warden; Worshipful Brother William C. Townsend, Treasurer; Worshipful Brother Edgar L. Crossman, Secretary; Worshipful Brother Carlos D. Freeman, Senior Deacon; Worshipful Brother Albert G. Foster, Junior Deacon; Worshipful Brother Alonzo K. Crowell, Senior Steward; Worshipful Brother George G. Parlow, Junior Steward.

May 25, 1922, marked the passing of Worshipful Brother James Edwin Lewis. He was the sixteenth Worshipful Master of Charles H. Titus Lodge. Brother Lewis was long identified with affairs Masonic and in recent years had been particularly honored by the Craft in the State of Rhode Island. Few if any members of the Fraternity were better known than Brother Lewis, and his place of business was a fraternal stopover for many visiting Masons of distinction. Brother Lewis was accurate in his knowledge of the work, markedly genial and cordial in his manner, and delightfully democratic in his habits. At the time of his decease he was doubtless the most widely known member of the Craft in the city of Taunton. His activity and interest extended beyond fraternal and business fields into civic activities of national concern.

On June 9, 1922, at the regular communication the officers of 1906 to 1908 conferred the Master Mason degree, Worshipful Brother Enos D. Williams occupying the Oriental Chair.

On September 8, 1922, Right Worshipful Brother Arthur C. Staples made a second official visitation to Charles H. Titus Lodge with Worshipful Brother Edward W. Burt as Grand Marshal.

At the regular and annual communication October 13 1922, Worshipful Brother Harold A. Walker was re-elected Worshipful Master, Brother Fred Kenyon Senior Warden, Brother Howard C. N. Ripley Junior Warden. Right Worshipful Brother Seth L. Cushman, assisted by Worshipful Brother Enos D. Williams, performed the installation ceremonies the same evening.

At the regular communication November 10, 1922, it was voted to hold a semi-centennial observance on or about March 23, 1923.

CLOSING

To the thirty Charter members of the Lodge during its fifty years of existence have been added two hundred and ninety-four, a total of three hundred and twenty-four. We have lost by death seventy-four; by dimit eighteen, and by forfeiture of membership twenty-two, reinstatements four, leaving the present membership two hundred and fourteen. Sunset shadows are now stealing over the edifice of half a century. The mellowed light that marks the passing of the day is not without inspiration, for the rays of the setting sun gild the glory of our Temple and hallow the hands now enrolled in the silent majority who laid the corner stone, trued the ashlar, and spread the cement. But the Temple is not yet completed; craftsmen and master masons are still laboring, the square, compass, and trestle-board are still busy, building for the majesty and glory of the century yet to come the Charles H. Titus Lodge of 1973, ever having in contemplation that house not made by hands eternal m the heavens.

CENTENARY HISTORY, OCTOBER 1972

From Proceedings, Page 1972-314:

By Right Worshipful Richard W. Phillips.

The honor and distinction of submitting a historical resume of the 100th Anniversary of Charles H. Titus Lodge has been our privilege and pleasure. In the collaboration of this material we have felt free to make a generous draft from the historical address of our late Brother, Rt. Wor. Gad Robinson at our 50th anniversary. (1923 Mass. 66-102)

This past century has been a tribute to those early founders who set the cornerstone and foundation of Charles H. Titus Lodge. Their real zeal and efforts have resulted in the Lodge now celebrating its 100th Anniversary.

It is our wish and prayer that the events of the past one hundred years will not have been in vain; and, through the determination and efforts of its members Charles H. Titus Lodge will continue to offer Freemasonry to the men of tomorrow.

From June 12, 1798 until January 1866, the exclusive Masonic jurisdiction of Taunton was vested in King David Lodge. In 1864, Taunton was added to the list of cities of the Commonwealth. Whether this fact stimulated the thought that a city should have more than one Masonic Lodge, or whether it was the interest created by the approaching completion of the new Masonic Temple, is still a mystery.

On January 12, 1866, a dispensation was granted for the formation of Alfred Baylies Lodge. This Lodge was constituted on January 9, 1867. On January 8, 1867, a dispensation was granted for the formation of Ionic Lodge. This Lodge was constituted on December 18, 1867. During the next six years the number of Masons raised by the three Lodges in this city numbered two hundred and ten.

An inquiry was made to ascertain if another Masonic Lodge could be organized in Taunton. At a meeting held on January 2, 1872 at Ionic Hall, Union Block, the available records showed that Asaph L. Bliss presided and Abiathar Doane, Jr. was Secretary.

The following was a result of that meeting: That the new Lodge be called Charles H. Titus Lodge. That regular communications be held on the second Friday evening of each month. That Brother Charles Lawton act as Treasurer and Brother Abiathar Doane, Jr. act as Secretary. That Brothers Asaph L. Bliss, Charles Lawton, and Henry H. Robinson be a Committee to present the petition for the dispensation to the other Lodges of this city for their recommendation. It was also voted to recommend Brothers Timothy C. Baker for Worshipful Master; Lewis E. Leonard for Senior Warden and Walter S. Sprague for Junior Warden.

The first regular communication was held March 15, 1872. A dispensation granted by Most Worshipful Sereno D. Nicker-son, Grand Master, was read, authorizing the following-named Brethren to perform Masonic work as a Lodge to be known as Charles H. Titus Lodge:

  • George H. Allen
  • Abiathar Doane, Jr.
  • Charles T. Robinson
  • Wilson W. Arnold
  • Daniel F. Frazier
  • Henry H. Robinson
  • Timothy C. Baker
  • George M. Hamlin
  • Edwin E. Rogers
  • Lorenzo O. Barnard
  • Edward H. Harlow
  • Zacheus Sherman
  • Asaph L. Bliss
  • Obed Harlow
  • Walter S. Sprague
  • Isaac G. Carrier
  • Charles F. Ivers
  • Henry I. Tinkham
  • James L. Corey
  • Joseph W. Knowles
  • Herbert E. Tinkham
  • William M. Cowing
  • Charles Lawton
  • James H. Stephens
  • Horatio L. Cushman
  • Lewis E. Leonard
  • Charles H. Titus
  • Edwin A. Dary
  • George H. Rhodes
  • Nathan S. Williams
  • Edwin B. Dean
  • Charles E. Richmond

Brother Baker was appointed Worshipful Master, and Brothers Leonard and Sprague, Wardens. The dispensation was returnable to the Grand Lodge at its Quarterly Communication to be held at Boston on the second Wednesday of March 1873.

The organization of the Lodge was completed by the appointment of the following officers: Charles Lawton, Treasurer; Abiathar Doane, Jr., Secretary; Charles T. Robinson, Marshal; Rev. George M. Hamlin, Chaplain; George H. Rhodes, Senior Deacon; Edward W. Harlow, Junior Deacon; Joseph W. Knowles, Senior Steward; Charles F. Ivers, Jr., Junior Steward; Henry I. Tinkham, Organist; James L. Corey, Sentinel; James H. Stephens, Tyler.

The first regular Communication of Charles H. Titus Lodge was held April 12, 1 872, with twenty-one members in attendance. Applications for the degrees were received from five petitioners. A Special Communication was held April 26, 1872. It was voted to rent the Masonic Hall at the Railroad Station for a period of one year. At the Regular Communication May 10, 1872, two candidates were elected to receive their degrees. The Entered Apprentice Degree was conferred for the first time by the Officers of this Lodge at a special meeting, held on May 17, 1872. Cornelius H. Paull, a clerk age 23 and John E. DeBlois, a storekeeper age 24, were the candidates. On September 13, 1872, the Lodge conferred the Third Degree, for the first time, on Brother Cornelius Paull and Brother A. Judson Holt. After making arrangements with Ionic Lodge, Charles H. Titus Lodge moved to Ionic Hall on November 1, 1872. They continued to hold their meetings there until the location was changed to Skinner's Block on Main Street. On the evening of November 1, 1872, Charles H. Titus Lodge received its first Official Visitation.

At the regular meeting in February 1873 the By-Laws were adopted and a committee was appointed to make arrangements for the Constitution of the Lodge, should a charter be granted. On March 28, 1873, at 4:00 P.M., Charles H. Titus Lodge was constituted. Present were Most Worshipful Sereno D. Nickerson, Grand Master, and his Suite of Officers. Proclamation was made that Charles H. Titus Lodge had been duly registered in the Grand Lodge of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Installation of the new Lodge occurred that same evening. A large number of Masons with their ladies were present. The Officers installed were the Brethren at the first meeting with the following exceptions: Right Worshipful Brother Titus in place of Brother Hamlin as Chaplain; Brother Zacheus Sherman in place of Brother Robinson as Marshal; and Brother DeBlois in place of Brother Tinkham as Organist.

The following were the officers installed at the first Installation: Timothy C. Baker, Worshipful Master; Lewis E. Leonard, Senior Warden; Walter S. Sprague, Junior Warden; Charles Lawton, Treasurer; Abiathar Doane, Jr., Secretary; Rt. Wor. Charles H. Titus, Chaplain; Zacheus Sherman, Marshal; George H. Rhodes, Senior Deacon; Edward W. Harlow, Junior Deacon; Joseph W. Knowles, Senior Steward; Edward B. Dean, Junior Steward; James H. Stephens, Tyler; James L. Corey, Sentinel; John E. DeBlois, Organist.

The assembly was adjourned to the Banquet Hall where the speakers were: Most Worshipful Sereno D. Nickerson, Grand Master; Rt. Worshipful Brother Titus and Worshipful Brother Lovering, Master of Ionic Lodge.

The membership of Charles H. Titus Lodge was derived as follows: Twenty-two from King David Lodge; four from Alfred Baylies Lodge; one each from Lodges located in Worcester, New Bedford and South Harwich, Massachusetts; one from a Lodge located in New Haven, Connecticut.

The first public appearance of the Lodge was July 5, 1873 to attend the funeral of Dr. Alfred Baylies, who was the Secretary of King David Lodge for forty years.

On May 14, 1875, a special meeting was held for the consideration of the formation of a Charity Fund. The sum of one dollar was assessed each member which formed the basis of the Charity Fund.

On November 1, 1878, a Special Communication of Charles H. Titus Lodge was held for the funeral of Reverend Charles H. Titus. The Proceedings of the Grand Lodge for December 30, 1873, contains a picture and history of this distinguished gentleman. The Proceedings of December 11, 1878 contains mention of the Reverend in the Grand Master's address with a report of a Committee of the death of Charles H. Titus.

On March 11, 1879, the custom of presenting each candidate with a lambskin, properly marked, was adopted by the Lodge.

On October 8, 1880, at the Annual Communication, Charles H. Titus, son of the namesake of the Lodge, was elected Worshipful Master. The meeting place of the Lodge was changed from Ionic Hall to the Skinner's Block on January 14, 1881.

At the June meeting, 1892, a register of the members was presented to the Lodge. On June 30, 1892, by invitation of the Most Worshipful Grand Master, the members of Charles H. Titus Lodge were present at the ceremony of laying the cornerstone of the County Court House in Taunton.

At the regular meeting of April 12, 1895, the Lodge was honored by the presence of the Most Worshipful Edwin B. Holmes, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, who addressed the Brethren on Masonic subjects. A banquet followed and members were presented to the Grand Master.

The 25th anniversary was celebrated on March 28, 1898 with sixty-eight members present. The visitors included the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Charles C. Hutchinson, and his Suite of Officers including the Past Grand Master, Most Worshipful Sereno D. Nickerson, who granted the Dispensation to Charles H. Titus Lodge. There were ten of the remaining fourteen affiliated Charter Members present. At the close of the twenty-fifth anniversary, the membership stood at 105.

The Taunton Masonic Corporation was formed November 17, 1899, Charles H. Titus Lodge was represented on the board by the Right Worshipful George H. Rhodes as its Treasurer.

On November 5, 1909 the Lodge was visited by the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Dana J. Flanders, accompanied by his Suite of Officers. He addressed the Lodge on the creation of a Masonic Home, to be located in Charlton, Massachusetts.

One may not recite the story of Charles H. Titus Lodge without a record of the distinguished and honorable activities of Right Worshipful Brother George H. Rhodes, honored by Charles H. Titus Lodge, honored by the Sir Knights of that oldest of all Commanderies, and a Sovereign Grand Inspector General of the Northern Jurisdiction of the Scottish Rite. He is the only member of the Charles H. Titus Lodge to be given the Honorary 33°.

To the thirty Charter members of the Lodge during its one-hundred years of existence, have been added 555 a total of 585. Existing at the close of one hundred years, the membership stands at 149.

The ensuing years saw the Lodge survive the turbulent years of the twenties and the depression years of the thirties. During these years the Lodge held and was able to continue its growth with many men of distinction serving as officers and many of Taunton's men joining the ranks of the Brotherhood.

Therefore, we will relate on those events which, will have memories for the Brethren present and will enlighten our visitors with some of the events that have led to the conclusion of the one hundred years of existence.

On March 9, 1945, Right Worshipful Clifton D. Ripley, District Deputy Grand Master of the Taunton 28th District, presented a Certificate of Merit from Grand Lodge in recognition of the whole-hearted cooperation and generous contributions of its members for service to the Armed Forces of the United States in support of Masonic Military Service Activities.

On January 19, 1947, the Officers of Charles H. Titus Lodge presented to Secretary Albert Foster a pen and pencil set for twenty-five years service to the Lodge as its Secretary.

On May 9, 1947, the Worshipful Master called in the District Deputy Grand Master, Rt. Wor. Harold A. Goff, who presented Worshipful Albert G. Foster with a Distinguished Service Medal on behalf of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge.

On March 12, 1948, the Lodge received Right Worshipful Harold A. Goff, District Deputy Grand Master of the Taunton 28th District, with a Suite of Officers. The Lodge was given a historical address by Worshipful Master, Everett W. Brune, on the celebration of the Lodge's 75th Anniversary.

On November 11, 1949, the Lodge witnessed the Installation of Brother Winthrop L. Baker as Worshipful Master by his brother, Worshipful Hollis C. Baker. Both of these Brethren are grandsons of the first Master, Worshipful Timothy C. Baker.

On December 1, 1954, the Lodge was graced by the presence of a Degree Team from Balfour Jewelry Company, who raised Brother Alexander Adams to the Master Mason Degree. Brother Adams was to become Worshipful Master in 1968.

On September 6, 1962, the Lodge moved to its new quarters on Winthrop Street and joined the other Lodges in making the Masonic Temple a reality.

On October 12, 1963, Charles H. Titus Lodge, in conjunction with other Taunton Lodges, participated in the Dedication of the new Temple. Present at the dedication was Most Worshipful A. Neill Osgood, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts. (1963 Mass. 229-230)

Worshipful James C. Pilling, during his term as Master in 1963, led Charles H. Titus to the winning of the Attendance Cup for the 25th Lodge of Instruction. The Lodge won the cup in the two following years, thus retiring it permanently.

On Saturday, April 25, 1964, a Special Communication of Charles H. Titus Lodge opened at 5:00 P.M. for the purpose of welcoming Corner Stone Lodge No. 216 of Portland, Maine. The work of the evening was done by the Officers of Corner Stone Lodge. They exemplified the Master Mason Degree. On June 13, 1964, a Special Communication of Charles H. Titus Lodge was held at Corner Stone Lodge in Portland, Maine. Old acquaintances were renewed and the Brethren present enjoyed a very wonderful trip.

On January 9, 1965, a Fraternal visit was made to Ionic Lodge No. 28 by Worshipful Stanley Sunbury along with many of the Brethren. On March 4, 1965 the Lodge was graced by the presence of Ionic Lodge No. 28 of Rhode Island who exemplified the work of the Entered Apprentice Degree.

On March 2, 1967 the Lodge paid tribute to Right Worshipful Winthrop L. Baker for his services to Masonry and presented him with a Silver Bowl. The Brethren present were treated to a poem by Brother Ellsworth Hathaway on the activities of Brother Baker's work in Masonry.

In December of 1968, a bus full of the Brethren left for Boston in a driving rain. At 8:00 P. M. Worshipful Master Richard W. Phillips opened Charles H. Titus Lodge in the Grand Lodge Temple in Boston.

Six Brethren of this Lodge have served the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts as District Deputy Grand Masters with distinction, gracing the station with honor. These men were: Right Worshipful Brothers George H. Rhodes, 1883, 1884, 1885; Seth L. Cushman, 1898, 1899; Gad Robinson, 1923, 1924; Howard C. N. Ripley, 1927, 1928; Winthrop L. Baker, 1955, 1956; Richard W. Phillips, 1970, 1971.

Two Brothers of this Lodge served the Grand Lodge with distinction and grace: Brother and Reverend Charles H. Titus, as Grand Chaplain and Grand Secretary; Worshipful Brother Hiram G. Jones as Grand Steward.

Rt. Worshipful Richard W. Phillips is now serving Grand Lodge as District Representative to the Grand Lodge Service Committee and as Zone 7 Manager of the Grand Lodge Service Committee.

At its one hundredth anniversary, Charles H. Titus Lodge has thirteen members who are proud wearers of the Fifty-year Veteran's Medal. This Medal is given for fifty years of active membership.

The senior member of Charles H. Titus Lodge is Brother Abram B. Pierce who signed the By-Laws on April 14, 1911. The senior Master is Worshipful Hollis C. Baker, who signed the By-Laws on November 30, 1923 and Was Master of the Lodge from 1931 to 1933; the last Master to serve a two-year term.

As the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, so rises Charles H. Titus in the East with strong determination and zeal to see that it will close in the West and re-open again in the East for another one hundred years.

It is the hope and prayer of its Brethren that the work of the past one hundred years will give us the strength to continue. With the troubled world around us we wonder if Masonry will survive. It should be the goal of all Masonic Lodges to remain open and ready to serve men of tomorrow.

The lessons taught to us in Masonry must be carried out in everyday life, for these lessons may determine the survival of mankind.


EVENTS

CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, MARCH 1873

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXXII, No. 5, May 1873, Page 141:

This new and promising Lodge was duly constituted and its officers were installed- on the 28th of March last, by the M. W. Grand Lodge, consisting of:

The ceremonies of constituting the Lodge were performed in the afternoon in the presence of the members and visiting brethren. In the evening the following officers were installed in the presence of a large assemblage of the brethren, their ladies, and invited guests:

  • Timothy C. Baker, Master.
  • Lewis E. Leonard, Sen. War.
  • Walter S. Sprague, Jr. War.
  • Charles Lawton, Treas.
  • A. Doane, Jr., Sec.
  • Charles H. Titus, Chaplain.
  • Geo. H. Rhoades, Sen. Dea.
  • E W. Harlow, Jr. Dea.
  • Zaccheus Sherman, Marshal.
  • Joseph H. Knowles and Edward B. Deane, Stewards
  • James L. Cory, I. Sen.; and
  • James H. Stevens, Tyler.

At the conclusion of the ceremonies the company were addressed by the Grand Master, and soon after repaired, by invitation of the Lodge, to the banqueting hall for supper, where the usual ceremonies took place, and excellent speeches were made by the Grand Master, Senior Grand Warden, the Chaplain of the Lodge, and others.

The above is the fourth Lodge in Taunton, and what adds to the value of this evidence of the increase of the Order in the city, is the important fact that they are all in a flourishing condition, and embrace in their respective memberships, a large proportion of the most enterprising and intelligent of. the citizens. The first Lodge in Taunton (King David's), was constituted in 1798, and continued to exist until the breaking out of the anti-Masonic persecution, when, like most of the Lodges in Bristol county, it suspended its labors, and remained dormant for some years. On the subsiding of that excitement however, it was reorganized and renewed its labors, and has continued in a healthy and active operation to the present time, the best evidence of which is that the three younger and flourishing Lodges are offshoots of it. Besides these Lodges, there have more recently been organized in the city, a Chapter and Council of R. and S. Masters. These facts are to us particularly gratifying and interesting, in view of another fact, namely, that at a time, within our own personal recollection and active Masonic life, there were not Masons enough in the town to maintain and work a single Lodge. There were undoubtedly nominal Masons enough for this purpose, but the opposition had frightened all their Masonry out of them.

The new Lodge starts off under the most favorable auspices, and under a name which is a guarantee for its respectability. A more felicitous one, if it must be that of an individual brother, could not have been selected, and the character of its members is sufficient assurance that it will not be tarnished by any act of theirs. The hall in which it will hereafter, in connection with Ionic Lodge, hold its meetings, is, with its apartments, one of the most commodious and pleasant in the district. It is handsomely furnished, and we were pleased to see that the foundation of a good Masonic library has been laid by its associate Lodge, but which we suppose will be available to both.

OFFICER LIST, FEBRUARY 1879

From Liberal Freemason, Vol. II, No. 11, February 1879, Page 349:

Charles H. Titus Lodge, Taunton meets on the Second Friday of each month in Ionic Hall, Union Block. It is well organized, with the following list of officers: George H. Rogers, W. M.; A. Doane, Jr., Senior Warden; Wm. O. Snow, Junior Warden; Wm. L. Walker, Treasurer; Seth L. Cushman, Secretary; Joseph B. Tew, Chaplain; Zacheus Sherman, Marshal; Damon D. White, Senior Deacon; Geo. H. Bickford, Junior Deacon; Daniel P. Newcomb, Senior Steward; Clifford A. Sherman, Junior Steward; Atwood R, Drew, Sentinel; Henry I. Tinkham, Organist; Thomas Crannage, Tyler; Zacheus Sherman, Trustee of Burial Property.


GRAND LODGE OFFICERS

OTHER BROTHERS


DISTRICTS

1872: District 13 (Taunton)

1878: District 19 (Taunton)

1883: District 23 (Taunton)

1911: District 28 (Taunton)

1927: District 28 (Taunton)


LINKS

Massachusetts Lodges